Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucy’s phone call Friend of missing Tenerife teenager Jay Slater says 'something weird's going on'

Sounds like he had “set off walking and ended up in middle of nowhere”. She finds it odd because his last ping wasn’t far from a road and a kind of view point with a cafe 5-10 mins walk

However Jay complains that it’s hot and he needs a drink - Lucy tells him he is “f*cked” without a phone or water and needs to go back where he came from; to which he says he can’t go back, he doesn’t know where he is, and sounds distressed.

So the obvious cafe and road Lucy remarks on, are either out of view or not really registering in someone now very disorientated. Thus he could easily have stumbled further into the mountains or fallen off the road into a ditch. We don’t know.

Apologies if this has already been stated (I can’t find the details if it indeed has) - the initial Snapchat images that led Lucy to find the Airbnb, were they sent from Jay to just her ie. as a private Snapchat message, or were they on his Snapchat story for any of his friends/followers to see?

Only as, if the former is true and they were just sent to Lucy - why did she have the foresight to screenshot them (and therefore save them to be seen again later) when presumably at the time of being sent them she had no real cause for concern? I’m guessing that this is because they were on his story and not a private message, hence being able to replay and screenshot them (unlike Snapchat messages between two people which disappear once viewed one time)… just wondering!
Have wondered this myself a few times, but could be explained by the fact she said she 'woke' to his call, if true, then he would have sent the snaps while she was asleep and when she woke she probably checked them after the call and screen shot them after the phone call. MOO

An experienced hiker from Scotland who is helping the police was on ITV news discussing the case - he said until you’re actually there you don’t realise how vast the area is.

He said the wind on the mountain is disrupting the search as it’s hard to get the drones up to operate.

Lucy’s phone call Friend of missing Tenerife teenager Jay Slater says 'something weird's going on'

Sounds like he had “set off walking and ended up in middle of nowhere”. She finds it odd because his last ping wasn’t far from a road and a kind of view point with a cafe 5-10 mins walk

However Jay complains that it’s hot and he needs a drink - Lucy tells him he is “f*cked” without a phone or water and needs to go back where he came from; to which he says he can’t go back, he doesn’t know where he is, and sounds distressed.

So the obvious cafe and road Lucy remarks on, are either out of view or not really registering in someone now very disorientated. Thus he could easily have stumbled further into the mountains or fallen off the road into a ditch. We don’t know.
The bit stating ‘I can’t go back.. then stating he doesn’t know where he is’ does suggest to me that something happened at the apartment which led to a hastily exit with no phone charged no water etc - at the point he was speaking to Lucy he hadn’t been walking that long so I’m sure he could’ve retraced his steps if going back was an option moo

I’m in no way suggesting any involvement by the two men - I just think something happened which meant he couldn’t go back which ended in him getting lost in the mountain and succumbing to the elements.

IMO and I've stated it previously, he either took himself out of the spotlight, or was taken. Spanish LE are very good at what they do. They deal with missing people daily: people who often turn up after sobering up, not even realising that they had been posted missing. They know the Island, they know the people who frequent it, they know the good people and the bad.

Something smells wrong in this case, and in my opinion, we only know a little bit about what's really happened.

does suggest to me that something happened at the apartment which led to a hastily exit with no phone charged no water etc - at the point he was speaking to Lucy he hadn’t been walking that long so I’m sure he could’ve retraced his steps if going back was an option moo

I’m in no way suggesting any involvement by the two men - I just think something happened which meant he couldn’t go back

And yet,
he had time to smoke a cigarette in the doorway, take a picture, send it...
I see no particular haste here.

JMO

I’ve just fallen a little bit in love with / in awe of Paul Arnott aka DownTheRapids. Anyone else following him? The words needle in a haystack definitely spring to mind; that terrain is horrific and if Jay’s hidden in there somewhere in grey clothes… well… he might never be found.

Top tip, guys: if you’re accidentally going missing, please wear really bright colours.

Because they have a clear connection to the individual (being as they accommodated him the night before his disappearance). You could argue that Ophelia was simply just a witness, but these two quite obviously have vital information pertinent to the case:

Why did Jay separate from his friends and travel a significant distance out of town with them, not 24 hours after arriving in Tenerife?
Why did they not offer him a lift back into town the following morning, or arrange transport?
How did Lucy manage to immediately identify the property based on absolutely nothing but a blurry picture of the doorstep?

To put it in a different perspective - In the UK, if a teenager was separated from their friends and spent the night in the home of two men who were previously completely unknown to them, and subsequently vanished without a trace the next day, do you not think that those two individuals would absolutely be the focus of the investigation? Why is this any different?
It was the last place he is confirmed to have stayed before disappearing. It's bonkers that the two men in question were allowed to up and leave as abruptly as they did. Which begs the question 'why'?
[bbm]

what do you mean 'leave abruptly'? they actually stayed an extra day
and someone posted here that they did offer him a ride and he declined

[bbm]

what do you mean 'leave abruptly'? they actually stayed an extra day
and someone posted here that they did offer him a ride and he declined
If memory serves, the claim that JS was offered a ride was allegedly made to Lucy by one of the two men when she arrived at the AirBnB. There's no way of knowing whether that is accurate.

Perhaps 'abruptly' was the wrong terminology. But being allowed to leave under the circumstances seems extremely odd to me. I'm in no way suggesting that these two men are necessarily guilty of any wrongdoing, but I find it hard to imagine that if something similar had happened in the UK (a teenager vanishing without a trace after travelling a considerable distance to the home of two older individuals they did not previously know and spending the night) that these two individuals would not be treated as considerable persons of interest until the missing teen was located.

It doesn't matter that these individuals were not technically 'the last people to see JS'. What matters is that they were the last two to have any significant amount of contact with JS - and the two that took Jay to the location that he vanished from.

Just MOO.

Whatever did or didn't happen at the rental place, doesn't have any bearing on what happened to the teenager afterwards. None of the witnesses who saw him afterwards said that he was injured or distressed in any way.
The two men were not with him when he disappeared, nor were they in the immediate vicinity. If he had disappeared in the area where the rental was, it would be a different matter.
IMO, I think he sobered up and just wanted to get back to his hotel. But, for whatever reason, he became lost and wandered off.

If memory serves, the claim that JS was offered a ride was allegedly made to Lucy by one of the two men when she arrived at the AirBnB. There's no way of knowing whether that is accurate.

Perhaps 'abruptly' was the wrong terminology. But being allowed to leave under the circumstances seems extremely odd to me. I'm in no way suggesting that these two men are necessarily guilty of any wrongdoing, but I find it hard to imagine that if something similar had happened in the UK (a teenager vanishing without a trace after travelling a considerable distance to the home of two older individuals they did not previously know and spending the night) that these two individuals would not be treated as considerable persons of interest until the missing teen was located.

It doesn't matter that these individuals were not technically 'the last people to see JS'. What matters is that they were the last two to have any significant amount of contact with JS - and the two that took Jay to the location that he vanished from.

Just MOO.

But keeping them on the Island against their will
and preventing them going to their country would mean charging them with a crime, no?

Is there any evidence against them?

Jay is missing
and as with many missing people,
he might never be found.

Does it mean the guys should be kept in Tenerife indefinitely?

:oops:

JMO

Last edited:

Just MOO.

they can't just keep someone from leaving who aren't charged with a crime
they can be 'persons of interest' in another country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics