Found Deceased Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police forces and fire personnel are also persisting in their searches through three separate gulleys, including one where it is speculated that Jay's phone was last detected shortly after his disappearance on Monday, June 17.

Furthermore, the spokesman confirmed that new areas north of Masca Gorge are now being searched. This area is significant because Jay's phone last sent signals from this location. Forest trails and tracks are among the places they have expanded their search to.

Last edited:
It was a short conversation and the issue was he was lost and thirst and the phone battery was very low.

From the sounds of it, he really wasn't calling to chat.

But when still at the rental,
having a smoke and appearing comfy,
sending a picture,

wouldn't he send SOS to his friend?

Instead he sent a pic chilling on the stairs with a cigarette and allegedly wearing slippers.

JMO

Last edited:
I’ve just fallen a little bit in love with / in awe of Paul Arnott aka DownTheRapids. Anyone else following him? The words needle in a haystack definitely spring to mind; that terrain is horrific and if Jay’s hidden in there somewhere in grey clothes… well… he might never be found.

Top tip, guys: if you’re accidentally going missing, please wear really bright colours.

Must admit, I did watch one of his vids last night, for reference of course :D and agree the terrain is horrific, there are so many deep pockets and steep drops between the rocks. If JS is there I can absolutely understand why they haven't located him yet.

A woman in the property adjoining where Jay was staying, named only as Araceli, said she did not see Jay but saw two Brits staying there.

She said: “I never saw the missing boy, but I know people saw him walking on his own. I saw the two British men who stayed here. They came in for cafe con leche a couple of times. One was aged about 40. The other one was slightly younger. The police have spoken to them both. They arrived on Saturday and we’re due to stay until Monday, but they left on Tuesday

Speaking outside a small cafe, one local woman, Anita, said: “We often have hikers go missing, every summer it is the same.

“Police come for a week and search and then they go - sometimes it can take months for a body to be found as the mountains are too difficult to search.

“People have said there was a sighting of him here, but no one knows anything - his family came here but there’s nothing to show he is here, as far as I know no shop or cafe has seen him.”

Others shrug their shoulders when asked, perplexed by the level of media interest in the area, while local mayor Emilio Navarro said that “all our resources and means” are being used to find him.

"Jay Slater family

fear online ‘noise’

may impede Tenerife search mission.

Attempt to find British teenager now in its second week
as groundless theories
circulate about his disappearance.

As the search for Jay Slater, the British teenager who went missing while on holiday in Tenerife,
enters its second week Spanish rescuers continue to comb the rugged mountain terrain where he was last seen for clues.

Staff and volunteers from the local police, fire brigade and civil defence force
have been using dogs, drones and helicopters to hunt for the 19-year-old.

But more than 2,000 miles away in Britain,
a group of online sleuths are conducting their own operations,
scouring Google maps of the area where he disappeared in the Rural de Teno national park
and posting baseless conspiracy theories,
and, in some cases,
even cruel deliberate hoaxes about his disappearance.

Slater’s family and friends have said the interest the case has generated online is compounding their distress in what is already one of the most difficult situations a parent could imagine.

And they fear the online 'noise'
around the case
could even hamper the investigation.

Even known conspiracy theorist David Icke
has waded in,
saying:
'Lucy doesn’t exist'.

Speculation is also spreading like wildfire on X and on TikTok,
where 'true crime' accounts are sharing their own theories.

'People believe in conspiracy theories as a way to explain the world when they feel uncertain,
they feel threatened,
they feel perilous:,
Daniel Jolley, assistant professor in social psychology at University of Nottingham said,
adding that online speculation is also popular because 'it’s entertaining'.

However,
he said:
'It can potentially derail investigations because people may indeed be flagging these things up to the police'.

'Any unexplained event that is vaguely unsettling and frightening that is reported in the media
is going to give rise to speculation and conspiracy theories,
it’s almost inevitable',
added Stephan Lewandowsky,
professor of cognitive psychology at the University of Bristol.

But for the families at the centre of police investigations,
Lewandowsky said:
'The impact is awful'."

Last edited:
Obviously we may not have been told the whole conversation with Lucy...but I agree if he feared the men he was within would have been the first thing he said to her not a drink and cut his leg
She does quote him as saying that 'he can't go back there', and that 'he needs a drink'. Those statements could be interpreted in two very different ways.

“He’s like, ‘I can’t go back, I don’t know where I am’. But he sounded very distressed and I don’t know what’s going on and I’m thinking now whether he was just distressed because he had no water or because of something else.”

Last edited:
Hey Everyone,
The thread is closing down for the night and will reopen in the morning.
Thank you,
Tricia
I think you might have forgotten to hit the close button! @Tricia

This case has lost a lot of its initial media traction and hype so the thread has slowed down - hopefully people’s perfect behaviour on here last night will make you reconsider for future nights to!

Anyone who is following the case id advise you to watch Paul Arnott (like a previous poster said) - he’s very good and gives you a real insight into the difficulties of the terrain and why the search is taking so long.

She does quote him as saying that 'he can't go back there', and that 'he needs a drink'. Those statements could be interpreted in two very different ways.

Quoting from post above:

"He can't go back"
because he didn't
"know where he was".

No wonder
"He was distressed".

As any person who has a misfortune of getting lost.

But what has it got in common with the guys in the rental?

JMO

Last edited:

JAY DEAN S.​

DESAPARECE
17 de junio de 2024
FECHA NACIMIENTO
26 de abril de 2005
EDAD AL DESAPARECER
19 años
EDAD ACTUAL
19 años
LUGAR DE DESAPARICIÓN
BUENAVISTA DEL NORTE. SANTA CRUZ DE TENERIFE, CANARIAS
Compartir en redes sociales
INFORMAR
Guardia Civil
ADULTO

Attachments

• 1719391392528.jpg
    1719391392528.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Quoting from post above:

"He can't go back"
because didn't
"know where he was".

No wonder
"He was distressed".

As any person who has a misfortune of getting lost.

But what has it got in common with the guys in the rental?
Agree. I think he ‘couldn’t go back’ because he knew he was going to lose access to his phone map.
Lots of us, including myself, have developed an over reliance and trust of the information on our digital devices and I do wonder if this could have played any part in the route JS took.
Ie. Did he assume the trail would be a signposted clear path when he saw it on the map, but when he was on the path just kept pushing forwards after his battery died.
Who knows.

Daily Record reporting that there have been some unconfirmed sightings of Jay post his disappearance by locals
IMO this is a load of rubbish.

If people saw Jay they would either contact the police or at least take a photo.

Jay looks pretty similar to a lot of teenagers his age - they all seem to go for similar haircuts so I’m sure if you walked around enough you’d bump into a potential lookalike.

These sort of stories just add fuel to the fire of the conspiracy theorists that this is all a big hoax - not helpful for his family at all.

His appearance would hardly stand out amongst a crowd of football supporters.

At the risk of massively generalising, the average foreign 18-25 year old watching football in Tenerife would have a similar haircut, be wearing similar gear etc.

It's very unlikely that he would be sat watching football in public places, oblivious to the massive ongoing search for him. i agree with the poster above, a lot of male teenagers have the same hairstyle and clothes.
Even if he was one of the sightings, how come he hasn't been spotted anywhere else besides watching football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper