Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
'Needing a drink' is not necessarily 'wanting water'.

If I'm thirsty, I'll say 'I'm thirsty/parched/dehydrated/etc'. "I need a drink" - especially in Britain - is often an exclamation of shock or relief.

That's not to suggest that his "I need a drink" was not in reference to being dehydrated, but it's just as likely to have been in response to something that has occurred. Especially considering his reluctance to wait for a bus and instead hike away from the AirBnB. Also, what was his reasoning behind hiking up the mountain? We know he had access to a map and GPS, so unless he was particularly disorientated (which didn't seem the case according to Ophelia), why head away from civilisation instead of towards it?
Why not wait for the lift that was allegedly offered by the two men in the AirBnB?

Something about this does not add up.
Yeah, I'm not convinced a 19 year-old would be using the turn of phrase of '...desperately needing a drink...' to mean an alcoholic drink at that time in the morning. Coupled with '...being lost...'. See Lucy's statement.

Wow!
I hope that when I visit the UK one day as a tourist

I won't forget to avoid uttering this very phrase :oops:
It's just an expression of exasperation and exhaustion.

Often said after a particularly stressful or long day.

'I need a drink!' is just as much about getting a sympathetic response, possibly more so, than actually wanting alcohol.

MOO

Pal Lucy Law, who was with the msising teen in the Canaries, said: "It’s been awful - I’ve never felt so awful in my life. None of us have slept the last few days. *The last thing he said to me 'I really need a drink'." She said: "The last pin he dropped wasn’t even on the road. Why did he go off road? There’s unanswered questions there."

She said: "I got the phone put down on me by the spanish authorities so I went to speak to them in person. I’ve had my phone stolen before, and they gave me the same slip of paper. They told me I’d get a call within 48 hours, but obviously the 48 hours after a person goes missing can be the most crucial.

"I’ve tried to report a 19-year-old is missing with no phone no water he’s never been in this area. There definitely needed to be more urgency." She said: "We went in for another police interview this afternoon, but there was no translator so we had to use Google Translator which isn’t ideal. You'd think they had someone in there who could translate for us."

She said: "They keep checking the same area, obviously he’s not there. The search needs to be made wider." Speaking to MailOnline, Mr Slater’s mother Debbie Duncan said: “I just don’t know what to think, I’m all over the place and I’m trying to keep positive, has somebody taken him? Is he panicked and lost in the mountains? I just don’t know, that’s why if anyone has any information please just tell us.

“But if he is lost then why hasn’t anyone seen him? It’s busy with hikers and holidaymakers up there so if he was lost then someone would have seen him, so that’s why I think maybe he’s been bundled off somewhere.”
*I wanna know what was said before he said "I really need a drink" so we could put the phrase in context.

"I’ve tried to report a 19-year-old is missing with no phone no water he’s never been in this area.
The only way Lucy could know that he didn't have any water is if he told her. And that's not something he would mention unless it was an issue for him. So I think that implies that when he said "I need a drink", he's being literal and wants water.

He said that he was lost in the mountains and had run out of water. He also said he had 1% on his battery before it cut out.

I don't recall him ever being quoted as saying he 'ran out of water'. Where did you read this?

The only way Lucy could know that he didn't have any water is if he told her. And that's not something he would mention unless it was an issue for him. So I think that implies that when he said "I need a drink", he's being literal and wants water.
Or she assumed he had no water, as anyone else would.

Peter Wilson (top left), Kevin Ainley (centre), Ricky D’Cotta (top right), Ryan Cooney (bottom left) and Billy Bennett (bottom right) have all been missing in Tenerife  (Doe Network/Missing People/Police handouts)

Peter Wilson (top left), Kevin Ainley (centre), Ricky D’Cotta (top right), Ryan Cooney (bottom left) and Billy Bennett (bottom right) have all been missing in Tenerife (Doe Network/Missing People/Police handouts)

Tourists looking for an easygoing, fun holiday in the sun have headed to the island of Tenerife for decades.

From the party vibes of the neon-lit strip of Playa De Las Americas to the spiritual hikes across cacti-infested ravines in the heat, there is something for everyone.

But with its rocky cliff faces and harsh terrain, the island also has a dangerous side with completely inaccessible areas... *info on each missing person @ link

I don't recall him ever being quoted as saying he 'ran out of water'. Where did you read this?

Or she assumed he had no water, as anyone else would.
It depends which newspaper you read. There are several minor differences in each report, but he referred to having no water, according to his friend.

Peter Wilson (top left), Kevin Ainley (centre), Ricky D’Cotta (top right), Ryan Cooney (bottom left) and Billy Bennett (bottom right) have all been missing in Tenerife  (Doe Network/Missing People/Police handouts)

Peter Wilson (top left), Kevin Ainley (centre), Ricky D’Cotta (top right), Ryan Cooney (bottom left) and Billy Bennett (bottom right) have all been missing in Tenerife (Doe Network/Missing People/Police handouts)

Tourists looking for an easygoing, fun holiday in the sun have headed to the island of Tenerife for decades.

From the party vibes of the neon-lit strip of Playa De Las Americas to the spiritual hikes across cacti-infested ravines in the heat, there is something for everyone.

But with its rocky cliff faces and harsh terrain, the island also has a dangerous side with completely inaccessible areas... *info on each missing person @ link

That's so sad to see, but it does highlight how difficult the terrain is in Tenerife. And how easy it is to get lost and go missing.

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet or if any relevance but if you check Google maps the bus stop up the road has written on the windows to be "beware of...can't make out the remaining bit".

Attachments

• thumbnail_image002.png
    thumbnail_image002.png
    729.9 KB · Views: 124
  • thumbnail_image001.png
    thumbnail_image001.png
    999.8 KB · Views: 119
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online