Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
His appearance would hardly stand out amongst a crowd of football supporters.

At the risk of massively generalising, the average foreign 18-25 year old watching football in Tenerife would have a similar haircut, be wearing similar gear etc.

It's very unlikely that he would be sat watching football in public places, oblivious to the massive ongoing search for him. i agree with the poster above, a lot of male teenagers have the same hairstyle and clothes.
Even if he was one of the sightings, how come he hasn't been spotted anywhere else besides watching football?

IMO this is a load of rubbish.

If people saw Jay they would either contact the police or at least take a photo.

Jay looks pretty similar to a lot of teenagers his age - they all seem to go for similar haircuts so I’m sure if you walked around enough you’d bump into a potential lookalike.

These sort of stories just add fuel to the fire of the conspiracy theorists that this is all a big hoax - not helpful for his family at all.
I agree and would have thought these bars would have some CCTV that could be checked quite quickly

TV alert for UK viewers. ITV This Morning will be discussing the Jay Slater case today. I'm not sure when in the programme it'll happen, it was just billed as "later," so some time after 10:50 as it hasn't been on yet. They'll be trying to separate fact from conspiracy and will have an ex (police?) detective on the programme.
ETA, it's coming up in a minute or two (~11:07)

It'll be available on catch up later here:

Last edited:

"Jay Slater family

fear online ‘noise’

may impede Tenerife search mission.

Attempt to find British teenager now in its second week
as groundless theories
circulate about his disappearance.

As the search for Jay Slater, the British teenager who went missing while on holiday in Tenerife,
enters its second week Spanish rescuers continue to comb the rugged mountain terrain where he was last seen for clues.

Staff and volunteers from the local police, fire brigade and civil defence force
have been using dogs, drones and helicopters to hunt for the 19-year-old.

But more than 2,000 miles away in Britain,
a group of online sleuths are conducting their own operations,
scouring Google maps of the area where he disappeared in the Rural de Teno national park
and posting baseless conspiracy theories,
and, in some cases,
even cruel deliberate hoaxes about his disappearance.

Slater’s family and friends have said the interest the case has generated online is compounding their distress in what is already one of the most difficult situations a parent could imagine.

And they fear the online 'noise'
around the case
could even hamper the investigation.

Even known conspiracy theorist David Icke
has waded in,
saying:
'Lucy doesn’t exist'.

Speculation is also spreading like wildfire on X and on TikTok,
where 'true crime' accounts are sharing their own theories.

'People believe in conspiracy theories as a way to explain the world when they feel uncertain,
they feel threatened,
they feel perilous:,
Daniel Jolley, assistant professor in social psychology at University of Nottingham said,
adding that online speculation is also popular because 'it’s entertaining'.

However,
he said:
'It can potentially derail investigations because people may indeed be flagging these things up to the police'.

'Any unexplained event that is vaguely unsettling and frightening that is reported in the media
is going to give rise to speculation and conspiracy theories,
it’s almost inevitable',
added Stephan Lewandowsky,
professor of cognitive psychology at the University of Bristol.

But for the families at the centre of police investigations,
Lewandowsky said:
'The impact is awful'."

This.

Sticking to the facts is a great place to start: A man, up all night, lost (by his own admission), dehydrated (by his own admission) who is wandering around a very inhospitable environment - there is only one likely outcome, and that may take months to prove. This should be the focus until proven otherwise.

This is NB all over again, which us pragmatists put down to an accidental fall and drowning…despite all the conspiracy noise…

TV alert for UK viewers. ITV This Morning will be discussing the Jay Slater case today. I'm not sure when in the programme it'll happen, it was just billed as "later," so some time after 10:50 as it hasn't been on yet. They'll be trying to separate fact from conspiracy and will have an ex (police?) detective on the programme.

They usually have Mark Williams Thomas on that so probably an extension of his offer of "help."

This.

Sticking to the facts is a great place to start: A man, up all night, lost (by his own admission), dehydrated (by his own admission) who is wandering around a very inhospitable environment - there is only one likely outcome, and that may take months to prove. This should be the focus until proven otherwise.
Well not exactly on his own admission
All we have is what Lucy has stated that he had said; as it was a phone call and not a text type conversation - and as a result no way of verification what indeed was said.

This.

This is NB all over again, which us pragmatists put down to an accidental fall and drowning…despite all the conspiracy noise…
The only difference between NB is that they knew her last location was the bench by the river. In the case of JS the only last location we have proper evidence for is him being on the road and walking along it for 1-1.5 km. The pin is very close to the road and also well known for not always being accurate in its position, and a quote that is he was “in the middle of nowhere” which is a description of the entire village of Masca and more so the apartment on the outskirts. IMO there is an equal chance he stayed on the road as off the road because I have not seen any evidence to suggest one is more likely than the other. I watched a video of someone driving in traffic down the road from the apartment and they drove passed people walking along it and I could not describe them even a minute after the video, let alone someone from several days before- all I would be able to confirm is I drove down the road and saw people walking (which they do in every video of the roads), so it is no surprise to me that the only person who could say they saw him on the road is the woman who had spoke to him just before as he would have been fresh in her head.

But The Times reports that the dogs have not been given a piece of Mr Slater's clothing for them to pick up a scent.

Cadaver dogs have been trained to pick up the scent of human remains without the need for a specific prompt.

ETA, it's coming up in a minute or two (~11:07)

Isla Traaquair gave a very good overall summary of what's happened so far, with TV and TikTok footage shown of the very difficult search area. She mentioned some of the conspiracy theories briefly and that one or two of the TikTok people are familiar with mountain rescue methods and are helping/useful, but others are likely to be a hindrance.
Peter Bleksley basically reiterated that the Spanish police are doing everything they can and are working on the main hypothesis that JS became disorientated and is missing in the terrain surrounding where he was last known to be from his last Snapchat.
Regarding TV timings, it was more like 11:15 when the item was screened, for anyone on catch-up TV.

I agree and would have thought these bars would have some CCTV that could be checked quite quickly

Besides,
the most important detail would be a wound from the cactus, possibly infected by then.

I guess a person would be begging to be taken to the nearest hospital
instead of chilling in the bar watching Euro matches.

JMO

The only difference between NB is that they knew her last location was the bench by the river. In the case of JS the only last location we have proper evidence for is him being on the road and walking along it for 1-1.5 km. The pin is very close to the road and also well known for not always being accurate in its position, and a quote that is he was “in the middle of nowhere” which is a description of the entire village of Masca and more so the apartment on the outskirts. IMO there is an equal chance he stayed on the road as off the road because I have not seen any evidence to suggest one is more likely than the other. I watched a video of someone driving in traffic down the road from the apartment and they drove passed people walking along it and I could not describe them even a minute after the video, let alone someone from several days before- all I would be able to confirm is I drove down the road and saw people walking (which they do in every video of the roads), so it is no surprise to me that the only person who could say they saw him on the road is the woman who had spoke to him just before as he would have been fresh in her head.

True. He could still be lost on the road and indeed could have rested up along the road or near to it. Agree with the point about the last location being ball park. The only thing that suggests off-road is the cactus injury - which again, is very specific and unlikely to have been mis-heard by Lucy.

He told Lucy enough to worry her that she came searching for him. Appreciate the studies into eye witnesses etc, but the points were specific: lost and wanting water. I doubt Lucy mis-heard that.

'Needing a drink' is not necessarily 'wanting water'.

If I'm thirsty, I'll say 'I'm thirsty/parched/dehydrated/etc'. "I need a drink" - especially in Britain - is often an exclamation of shock or relief.

That's not to suggest that his "I need a drink" was not in reference to being dehydrated, but it's just as likely to have been in response to something that has occurred. Especially considering his reluctance to wait for a bus and instead hike away from the AirBnB. Also, what was his reasoning behind hiking up the mountain? We know he had access to a map and GPS, so unless he was particularly disorientated (which didn't seem the case according to Ophelia), why head away from civilisation instead of towards it?
Why not wait for the lift that was allegedly offered by the two men in the AirBnB?

Something about this does not add up.

True. He could still be lost on the road and indeed could have rested up along the road or near to it. Agree with the point about the last location being ball park. The only thing that suggests off-road is the cactus injury - which again, is very specific and unlikely to have been mis-heard by Lucy.
If you walk along the road there are cactuses along it on the pathway within a few metres, so I don’t take that as being proof of off road either.

But The Times reports that the dogs have not been given a piece of Mr Slater's clothing for them to pick up a scent.

Cadaver dogs have been trained to pick up the scent of human remains without the need for a specific prompt.
A realistic admission by the Spanish authorities, then, that this is a recovery operation now.

'Needing a drink' is not necessarily 'wanting water'.

If I'm thirsty, I'll say 'I'm thirsty/parched/dehydrated/etc'. "I need a drink" - especially in Britain - is often an exclamation of shock or relief.

That's not to suggest that his "I need a drink" was not in reference to being dehydrated, but it's just as likely to have been in response to something that has occurred. Especially considering his reluctance to wait for a bus and instead hike away from the AirBnB. Also, what was his reasoning behind hiking up the mountain? We know he had access to a map and GPS, so unless he was particularly disorientated (which didn't seem the case according to Ophelia), why head away from civilisation instead of towards it?
Why not wait for the lift that was allegedly offered by the two men in the AirBnB?

Something about this does not add up.
IMO asking a stranger who doesn’t speak English well about the bus, looking for a shop to buy more cigarettes and refusing the lift could also show he is actually independent and was confident and in the right frame of mind to get himself home- a lot in a strange country would just ask for a taxi number. I think his depleting cigarettes is also a logical reason for a smoker to want to get back to better civilisation. We don’t know his logic for the bus- was it to get all the way back, or just to a nearby town first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aspirelights