Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But surely he would have said something to his friend on the phone, if something had happened there?
Why would she not tell the truth about the conversation, given that these two men were not known to them?
I can't see how this would turn into a criminal investigation, because he was on his own when he disappeared.
Well, for a start, we only have Lucy's word to rely on for that. Only Lucy and Jay know exactly what was said on the phone. And we only have Lucy's account that she did not know these two men.

I'm not saying that Lucy is lying, but also there is absolutely nothing to validate what she has said.

If Ophelia's account is accurate, he was going in the wrong direction for Santiago. She stated that he was heading north, up the mountain.
It's very easy to walk in the wrong direction when the bus is driving on the opposite side of the road to what you're used to. You can look at the list of stops on the bus stop and you think you know which way to go but the bus on that side was actually travelling in a different direction to what you expected.

Well, for a start, we only have Lucy's word to rely on for that. Only Lucy and Jay know exactly what was said on the phone. And we only have Lucy's account that she did not know these two men.

I'm not saying that Lucy is lying, but also there is absolutely nothing to validate what she has said.
Equally, there is nothing to validate any involvement of the two men.

Bar staff in the resort of Playa de las Americas told the M.E.N. on Monday (June 24) that tourists rarely stay there if they are partying in the south of the island, and that it is mainly only popular with hikers. They described the area as "dangerous" to those who are inexperienced.

It is also more than 30km from the resort where Jay was staying in with friends, in Los Cristianos. The drive takes anything between an hour to 90 minutes, costs over 100 euros in a taxi, and is only reached by battling challenging and steep roads that run adjacent to a towering cliff edge.

Police will also be probing why Jay opted to walk alone through the mountains instead of waiting for the bus on the morning he vanished. Jay reportedly decided against waiting two hours for a bus that would have taken him back into town.

The Airbnb owner Ophelia Hernandez said she saw the teenager at around 8am standing by a bus stop just outside of the village of Masca. She said he had asked her about buses back to Los Cristianos and that she told him it would arrive at 10am.

Instead, it is claimed he then walked uphill further north of the island along the only road in the area and told his friend he would attempt the walk back to the apartment. This trek would take around 11 hours.

It's very easy to walk in the wrong direction when the bus is driving on the opposite side of the road to what you're used to. You can look at the list of stops on the bus stop and you think you know which way to go but the bus on that side was actually travelling in a different direction to what you expected.
Especially if you are tired and dehydrated. And in a unfamiliar surroundings.

Obviously we may not have been told the whole conversation with Lucy...but I agree if he feared the men he was within would have been the first thing he said to her not a drink and cut his leg
Maybe not, if Jay feared Lucy would think he had been foolish for taking such a substantial risk, leaving with those men - strangers he’d just met who were reportedly twice his age and staying a substantial distance away.

Regardless of any risks he’d taken earlier, Jay made a wise decision in calling Lucy, because she reacted quickly and appropriately - seeking LE help and doing whatever she could to locate Jay, the men he had been with, and the point of Jay’s departure on foot and where he might have gone from there.

I earnestly pray Jay is found, miraculously alive - perhaps by holing up in some house or hut not far from where his phone last pinged, with enough provisions on hand there to sustain him until LE’s dogs detect him and he can be rescued. As a mother myself, I would cling to that hope.

For instance, I'm frankly amazed that an individual not native to Tenerife, was able to immediately identify a property solely by the pattern of the doorstep. Particularly as the doorstep seems obscured from the road via Google Maps - Masca is far from a typical British suburban layout.
Jay had posted a picture of the outside of the house, so there were more features that could be used to identify the property.

' "Soon after Mr Slater went missing, an American woman offered to drive Ms Law up into the mountains.

Mr Slater had posted a picture online of some mountains next to a house he had been to.

Ms Law drove around looking for a lamp and some flowers seen in that picture.

"We managed to find the house," she said. "I knocked on the door and there were two people there." '

Jay had posted a picture of the outside of the house, so there were more features that could be used to identify the property.

' "Soon after Mr Slater went missing, an American woman offered to drive Ms Law up into the mountains.

Mr Slater had posted a picture online of some mountains next to a house he had been to.

Ms Law drove around looking for a lamp and some flowers seen in that picture.

Was that picture ever made public? Or has only Lucy seen it?

Last edited:
He said: “I don’t believe he is in close proximity to the rental. It’s a very easy area to search.

“If he has come to harm, it’s either the other side of the lookout point, or it is further down towards the town.

“Police are searching very well. They have mountain rescue and a lot of people are up there.

“He will be found. If he’s not found it brings that other element which is third party [involvement].”

Mark said there is a ‘drug underworld’ on the island.

He said: “I have received information there is no doubt an underworld here… a big drugs [culture].

“I can’t tell you at the moment whether that has had a big impact. I have only been here less than 48 hours.

“What I can tell you is the information I currently have. The family has shared everything with me.

“I have a lot of messages and WhatsApp chats. This is a line of enquiry.”

So no real updates then…just MWT getting some airtime.
Mark Williams-Thomas, a former Metropolitan Police officer who helped in the search for Nicola Bulley, says the case should have been treated as a "critical incident" from the start, and says he needs to speak to two "key people" who would have last seen Slater.

"These are the two men that took Jay back to that holiday rental in the hills," he told a press conference in Tenerife this afternoon

This is the approximate area they've honed in on according to the footage from the Sky News report:

So that is Los Carrizales, where some people had said he may have mistakenly put into his maps app and headed to, instead of Los Cristianos.

This is the approximate area they've honed in on according to the footage from the Sky News report:

Over an hour away from Masca. I went a little bit further along the road and there's a house:(

Mark Williams-Thomas, a former Metropolitan Police officer who helped in the search for Nicola Bulley, says the case should have been treated as a "critical incident" from the start, and says he needs to speak to two "key people" who would have last seen Slater.

"These are the two men that took Jay back to that holiday rental in the hills," he told a press conference in Tenerife this afternoon
god between us and fallen 'experts' of nothingness

<modsnip> I just believe that whatever happened at the AirBnB left JS spooked enough to get out of there at the first opportunity.

I also have a strong suspicion that many of the accounts we've heard have been fabricated to some degree or another. For instance, I'm frankly amazed that an individual not native to Tenerife, was able to immediately identify a property solely by the pattern of the doorstep. Particularly as the doorstep seems obscured from the road via Google Maps - Masca is far from a typical British suburban layout. There's every possibility this person just got lucky, however...

I do believe that JS has ended up lost, and (for now, at least) this is a missing person's case, not a criminal investigation. But I would not be at all surprised if a criminal investigation is coming. Just MOO.
She didn't immediately identify the property, she said she drove around ages until she found it. I did the same after one of those terrible parcel delivery companies decided to deliver a PS5 to the wrong house and leave it on the doorstep... I drove around my entire neighborhood, road by road, until I found it based on the photo that was taken by the delivery driver. If I managed to do that (and before it was stolen!) I think it's totally plausible that Lucy was able to find the Airbnb in an area that isn't very densely populated with houses. And she knew it was somewhere in the vicinity of the dropped pin too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member