Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope they find him soon so this media & social media frenzy can stop

Let’s be honest here Jay hasn’t survived - he will be dead.

I think this ‘private detective’ is a complete idiot feeding off the families insecurities.

I do hope that specially trained officers who speak English have sat Jays mum down and explained this is now a body recovery operation

It's very easy to walk in the wrong direction when the bus is driving on the opposite side of the road to what you're used to. You can look at the list of stops on the bus stop and you think you know which way to go but the bus on that side was actually travelling in a different direction to what you expected.
I think you maybe on to something here, the lady at the air bnb said he walked the wrong direction, i wonder if he can drive at all? Being 19 and using taxes whilst partying he may not have thought about traffic direction abroad.

"The mother of Jay Slater's best friend
told the BBC
a deluge of online trolling has added to their
'living nightmare'.

Rachel Hargreaves, 34,
is in Tenerife supporting Mr Slater's mother Debbie Duncan
and has spent days in the mountains desperately searching for the 19-year-old.

Her son Brad travelled to the Canary Islands with Mr Slater, who has been missing since 17 June after failing to return to their accommodation.

Ms Hargreaves,
a chef from Accrington in Lancashire,
said a troll had even impersonated her late mother, who died eight months ago.

She and Brad,
who she described as
'not really coping',
have vowed to stay in Tenerife 'as long as it takes'
to support Mr Slater's mother.

Ms Hargreaves became a target after agreeing to help run an online Facebook group set up by the family,
which now has more than 590,000 members.

She told the BBC the thousands of comments and messages included many from people who were genuinely trying to help,
but had been missed due to the deluge of negativity or speculation.

She said one of the most upsetting examples was when she received a friend request on Facebook from a fake account
using her mother's name and picture,
while her son also received a message saying
'I miss you'.

'The picture of my mum is an old one
but it was on my Facebook and somehow they have got their hands on it',
she said.

'We’re living the worst nightmare you can live
and this does not help.

I’m a strong person and that affected me.
Things don’t normally get to me'.

She said:
'You can’t put into words how you feel.
I’m just here trying to support and be strong for her.
The things she can’t do I am trying to do for her,
mother-to-mother.

'We have become a lot more closer friends since this'."

Would be interesting to see the bus stop from the opposite angle to see if boarded part had info or timetables. i presume the times of 10.00 or 22.00 would be the same in Tenerife?
I can't post a link as it's in the Google Maps app, I hope a screenshot is OK. There's another bus stop virtually opposite the house, with a timetable visible on Streetview.
Screenshot_20240628_001438_Maps.jpg

I can't post a link as it's in the Google Maps app, I hope a screenshot is OK. There's another bus stop virtually opposite the house, with a timetable visible on Streetview.
View attachment 513781
He apparently asked the last person to see him alive the bus times, even though they were printed on the bus stops right outside the air bnb and had a working phone before he left the place.

Why has this case drawn so many trolls harassing the family and friends? Is it because of the attack that Jay took part in? That is the only theory that I can come up with, but it still seems strange to harass the distraught mom, she didn't take part in that.

He apparently asked the last person to see him alive the bus times, even though they were printed on the bus stops right outside the air bnb and had a working phone before he left the place.
I've still asked people when I've been at bus stops. Sometimes they're inaccurate, sometimes a bus hasn't arrived when the timetable says it should have so I'm left wondering if the buses are actually running, sometimes I just find it hard to understand... I think we have a tendency to find something weird or confusing in what is actually just an ordinary thing to do.

Why has this case drawn so many trolls harassing the family and friends? Is it because of the attack that Jay took part in? That is the only theory that I can come up with, but it still seems strange to harass the distraught mom, she didn't take part in that.
I have a feeling there's a touch of snobbery in it, but I'm sure a lot of it is his social background as well. There's the attack and the fact that he was at a rave, which suggests drugs and makes him seem less of an innocent victim. It's all incredibly judgemental and unwarranted. I feel sorry for his mum and friends.

I think you maybe on to something here, the lady at the air bnb said he walked the wrong direction, i wonder if he can drive at all? Being 19 and using taxes whilst partying he may not have thought about traffic direction abroad.
IMO
The Airbnb woman should have asked Jay if he was OK especially the second time she saw him. I think she must have known that he may have been lost.

IMO
The Airbnb woman should have asked Jay if he was OK especially the second time she saw him. I think she must have known that he may have been lost.
Not necessarily. I've directed people before and they've walked a different way and I've assumed that they changed their mind. She wouldn't necessarily think anything of it until later, once she had found out what happened next.

I've still asked people when I've been at bus stops. Sometimes they're inaccurate, sometimes a bus hasn't arrived when the timetable says it should have so I'm left wondering if the buses are actually running, sometimes I just find it hard to understand... I think we have a tendency to find something weird or confusing in what is actually just an ordinary thing to do.
I agree with you. When I was in Japan last summer, we took the public bus at times. I don’t speak or read the language, and at home here in the US I haven’t ridden the bus since I was a teen (several decades ago)!

We got totally confused one time trying to find where to catch the bus on the return from an attraction we visited. I assumed the return bus stop would be on the opposite side of the street from where we were dropped off. No stop to be found. I had to ask for help. It turned out we were to catch the bus at the very same spot we arrived at!
confused.gif

So, yeah, hard to understand, especially with a foreign country/language.There WAS a schedule posted, but it was hard to translate and comprehend.

Just my experience

The male friend who flew out to Tenerife with JS - are they related, just friends or in a relationship?

There was an initial backlash against Jay for his part in the attack. That was understandable. Importantly, information about the attack was in the public domain: people saw the details, formed / voiced an opinion and moved on.

I think much of the trolling of the family and friends, on the other hand, stems from the perceived secrecy about so much of what they are doing. Genuine questions are being asked, but no answers are forthcoming. As a result, rumours flourish, outright lies are repeated so often that they become seen as the truth, and the accusations and trolling start.

Do I agree with it? No. Do I understand it? Yes.

The trolling, accusations and sheer idiocy of the comments that are being made on social media are way in excess of anything I have witnessed before in a missing person campaign.

The trolling, accusations and sheer idiocy of the comments that are being made on social media are way in excess of anything I have witnessed before in a missing person campaign.
I believe a great deal of this is due to the fact that the case is far more relevant to people of Jay's age than any other case in recent UK memory.
Unfortunately, a huge proportion of people in Jay's age range are addicted to inherently toxic social media platforms such as TikTok and Facebook where idiots and glory hunters are given a soapbox and conspiracy theories run rampant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne