Spain Jay Slater, 19, missing on holiday in Tenerife, 17 June 2024 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"It was hoped the operation would be a “massive search” but less than 12 members of the public had arrived at the meeting point shortly before it began, BBC reporters on the ground observed."
Jay Slater: Search for missing teenager in Tenerife called off by police

The public probably heard that MWT was on the scene and knew that he would crack the case.

MOD NOTE:

General fundraising discussion is not allowed. The ONLY part of a fundraiser account that is allowed for discussion is if there are previously unknown specifics/facts contained in the introduction (NOT COMMENTS) that relate directly to the case.

Speculation about why family members set up the account, the funds raised or what those funds may or may not be used for are off limits. Discuss the case, not the peripheral issues of fundraising.

MOD NOTE: From Rules - Etiquette & Information

"VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing known victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is known to be relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, or others who have not been officially designated by law enforcement or in mainstream media as a Person of Interest or suspect is not allowed (i.e. Sleuthing out this type of information, and publicly posting their social media, personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public is not allowed and such posts will be removed, along with any posts that encourage such sleuthing).

This does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media. Members may reasonably discuss what is said in MSM by them or about them, but do not make random accusations, insinuations, suggest their involvement, trash, bash or attack them, or speculate negatively about them."

Thread is open.

Folks, besides following the above guidelines (and the rest of the rules), please refrain from responding to people who are obviously breaking TOS. It just gives us more to clean up.

Thanks,

Knitty,

The Daily Mail is reporting that Spanish police have ended the search for Jay Slater. According to the DM report, a spokesperson for Tenerife police said: 'The search is now over but the investigation remains open.' The spokesperson refused to elaborate on whether it was now a criminal investigation.

Full article in the Daily Mail

I'm very sad for Jay and for his family and his good friends.

Is there anyone with teenage family members at home? Sons, brothers etc
If you can’t already guess based on their personality-ask about their survival skills
Would they attempt to forage? Eat insects? Shelter from the elements? Eat aloe vera? Know how to locate water? Use leaves or bury to keep warm? I cant help but think how possible it may have been for Jay to survive out here until he found help or help found him.
I went on holiday to Majorca with my parents when I was 18. Port de Pollença. Lovely place, but not the most exciting destination for an 18 year old.
A couple of days in, I decided to catch a bus on my own to Magaluf. Ended up getting absolutely sh*tfaced and woke up the following morning on a beach chair with absolutely no money left.
In desperation, I tried to offer a bus driver the spare pair of shorts I had in my bag in exchange for a lift home.
He wasn't having it. No idea why!
Resorted (probably quite foolishly in hindsight) to walking to Palma, then hitchhiking from Palma back to Pollença. I'm probably massively fortunate that I made it there and back in one piece.

It's absolutely not beyond the realms of possibility that the most likely explanation in this case is the correct one. Jay naively went for a semi-sober morning jaunt up a mountain, and that was that.

There still doesn't seem to be a definite answer as to whether it was Jay in this footage that was taken about ten hours after he made that panicked phone call to his friend Lucy. If it is him, then that presumably means all of the searches are concentrated on the wrong areas: Jay Slater's family hope new CCTV shows missing Brit
I suspect it was just somebody that resembled Jay. If he had made it to the next town he would have almost certainly requested aid had he required it, and there would almost certainly be at least one positive sighting of him.

I suspect it was just somebody that resembled Jay. If he had made it to the next town he would have almost certainly requested aid had he required it, and there would almost certainly be at least one positive sighting of him.
I agree, it doesn't seem at all feasible that he just wondered around for several hours, was seen on one CCTV camera and never again

JMO

If you can’t already guess based on their personality-ask about their survival skills
Would they attempt to forage? Eat insects? Shelter from the elements? Eat aloe vera? Know how to locate water? Use leaves or bury to keep warm? I cant help but think how possible it may have been for Jay to survive out here until he found help or help found him.
I’m assuming the cold may have been the biggest threat vs heat? Possibly became victim to his own state of mind?
Surely humans are driven by survival, albeit in a better frame of mind than Jay likely was.
Maybe it’s time to get basic survival skills taught in school.
I REALLY hope it doesnt turn out to have been a totally avoidable tragedy :( It just makes it all the harder to swallow.

Dehydration is the major threat.

Agree, he has a hairstyle that is typical of lads his age, well meaning people may think they spotted him on a bench/in a bar watching football but very unlikely

I agree, it doesn't seem at all feasible that he just wondered around for several hours, was seen on one CCTV camera and never again

JMO
Yeah I agree - if he was lost and frantic (as described by Lucy), he would have asked for help if he had made it to the nearest town (even if it was for a charger). JMO.

I’m assuming the cold may have been the biggest threat vs heat? Possibly became victim to his own state of mind?
Surely humans are driven by survival, albeit in a better frame of mind than Jay likely was.
I REALLY hope it doesnt turn out to have been a totally avoidable tragedy :( It just makes it all the harder to swallow.

That’s a really good question and one that we should all be aware of in order to survive.

I have 3 sons, all in their 20’s now. The eldest 2 went to cubs and scouts so they would know the basics such as building a shelter, finding shelter, how to light a fire but I’m not sure they would know what plants/insects to eat.

I did ask my middle son (he’s the risk taker out of the 3 of them) what he would do in Jay’s situation when he was 19. After he went into detail of the predicaments he had been in when he was a teenager which I never knew half of it until now, he finally got round to answering!
He said he would have probably have headed downwards from the mountain and towards the sea if it was in sight, as there would be more chance of finding water and shade lower down. Obviously this is only a scenario given to him with no details of the terrain and the distance but it was interesting to hear his take on it.

I hope Jay is found then at least the family can have some closure. I can’t begin to imagine how hard it must be not knowing.

Some tips I learnt as a Scout girl :)

The most important thing is not to panic -
you gain nothing and you can lose a lot.

Calm down,
analyse the surroundings and the situation,
and then choose the best course of action.

Try to move slowly and seek shelter from the sun during the hottest hours.

Your enemy is lack of water.
Save it,
drink small sips, but often.

Look for signs of vegetation - where there is green, there is water.

Sometimes it may be necessary to dig it out from under the ground.

Contrary to appearances, cacti are not full of life-giving fluid,
their juices may have a negative effect on the body.

However,
you can try the fruit if you can handle the thorns.

Always stay at the place of the last ping of your phone if you called for help.

Oh, and also

The 3/3/3 rule states that
you will die after

- three minutes without oxygen,

- three days without water

- three weeks without food.

JM Scout's O

Last edited:
Does Canarian Weekly count as MSM? Please advise if not and I will delete…

Guardia Civil stops search for Jay Slater in Masca: Operation ends without success

The unresolved questions and the termination of the search suggest that they are considering other hypotheses…

Someone took a photo and sent it as a message. It's impossible to say for sure that it was the MP who sent it, and indeed that it's him in the photo. Allegedly a call was made to a female. Is she credible? We don't know. Allegedly a call was made to a male. Is he credible? We don't know.
The MP's mobile pinged near the temporary residence of two British men. Do we know whether it was the MP, or someone with his phone? We don't.
There are a couple of scenario's to consider.
Either everything that the witnesses have said is credible and verifiable, and he has become disoriented and fallen victim to the conditions, or LE have been deliberately misled and directed away from a deliberate act of harm on the MP.
IMO and only MOO based on a lot of experience, all possibilities have to be considered. Leave no stone unturned, especially the ones you haven't looked under yet.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice
Back