MISTRIAL MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being assigned to the DA’s Office as an investigator is considered a premium assignment. He has been transferred out of that assignment and relieved of duty. He will probably be reassigned to one of the MSP barracks on paper. I’m not fully versed on MSP bargaining agreements so the following would be the course of action against Proctor based on general guidelines. He has likely been relieved of his badge and his gun pending his internal affairs hearing. In most cases you would be suspended with pay until your first hearing. You would have your union rep with you at the hearing. Internal affairs will set the hearing date and you will be called in to face the charges pending against you. (By charges I am not necessarily talking about legal charges, but they may be in the mix.). Depending on the outcome, you may be suspended for a period of time with or without pay. (I would guess without pay in this case.) You may be assigned to desk duty for a period of time. You could be fired, and you could be put down on criminal charges.
I am thinking he may be suspended without pay until the federal investigation is complete. In the meantime, he has his own agency’s internal affairs investigation to contend with.
No wonder he kicked that reporter off his lawn today. :cool:

Thanks for the clear explanation. Very appreciated.

"It's terrible ... it's completely unprofessional. It does harm, frankly, to the dignity and the integrity of the work of men and women across the State Police and law enforcement. So as a former attorney general and as governor, I am disgusted by that," Healey told reporters Thursday afternoon when asked about Proctor's texts."

I think it is perfect CW shot off it's mouth saying how they were going to re-prosecute, and moments later it is announced that Michael Proctor the lead investigator for the CW has been relieved of duty because of serious misconduct that emerged in testimony at the trial!

Hahahahahaha!!!!
I suspect we are going to see a lot of interdepartmental and inter agency bickering going on. No one likes to look bad but it’s a thousand times worse if you look bad on a national stage.
Careful where you step in Norfolk County over the next couple of months, you don’t want to trip over any rolling heads.

Has there been any talk of the O'K family filing a civil lawsuit? I wonder if they've looked into filing a wrongful death civil lawsuit.
Unless they can risk paying her attorney fees and court costs they'd be ill-advised to try it any time soon. And probably won't as long as there's a pending criminal retrial. And KR's reportedly broke. If the retry is abandoned, or the FBI moves on others - then I'd say the odds go waaaaay down.

All IMO.

Has there been any talk of the O'K family filing a civil lawsuit? I wonder if they've looked into filing a wrongful death civil lawsuit.
They could. However, there is a federal investigation still going on.

(I want to thank @OldCop for this onfo):

"If they uncover a conspiracy for instance, they could try him and others under the RICO act. Because the FBI is reportedly involved in the investigation, they are looking at some type of federal charge. Federal indictments would be tried in federal court so we don’t have to worry about another Lally debacle."

Since that is the case, it would seriously impede any civil suit MOO.

Unless they can risk paying her attorney fees and court costs they'd be ill-advised to try it any time soon. And probably won't as long as there's a pending criminal retrial. And KR's reportedly broke. If the retry is abandoned, or the FBI moves on others - then I'd say the odds go waaaaay down.

All IMO.
Wouldn't there be a lot of evidence allowed in a civil case that the judge didn't allow in the criminal trial? I frankly think DY and AJ would have a field day in a civil trial if so. And yes, they would risk being liable for her legal fees if she prevails, and that would sting a lot.

From alternate juror #3 who did not want to be identified (can’t blame her):

Question: Did the Commonwealth meet its burden?

Juror #3: "I approached this trial as if I was taking one of my graduate-level classes. I would get an A+ in note-taking. I believe the Commonwealth did not do their job to convince me beyond a reasonable doubt that Karen Read was guilty of the charges."

Question:
Did Trooper Proctor's testimony influence your feelings on this case?

Juror #3: Even if his testimony had not been included in this case, I still believe there would have not have been enough."

So interesting! I want more.

"It's terrible ... it's completely unprofessional. It does harm, frankly, to the dignity and the integrity of the work of men and women across the State Police and law enforcement. So as a former attorney general and as governor, I am disgusted by that," Healey told reporters Thursday afternoon when asked about Proctor's texts."

Actions speak louder than words.

This gives me the chills for all jurors in all trials. Of course people on both sides have seen them. They are not 100% anonymous. In all cases there may be people who resent your decision. Even if unanimous. Somehow they need protection.

JMO, if any of them suffers, that has the potential of halting all current court cases in this country. Imagine having to stay in jail until there is a jury (and it may take years because one precedent would give the summoned the legal reason to refuse). Or, people would be let out on bail, but their lives would be put on hold for 10 years.

BTW, any volunteers for the jury duty, ever? JMO, I'd simply thank the people who took the time out of their lives to patiently sit through the trial. Myself, I'd doze off in that small, stuffy room, overwhelmed by the facts, lulled to sleep by Lally's soporific voice, occasionally waking up when Jackson would take a higher octave. People marching around the courthouse should imagine having to sit perfectly still for eight hours a day, plus, actively listen, and then, deliberate.

I am pleased though the jurors went hung.
Stuck to whatever they believe in their heart of hearts.

It is not right when one or 2 (whatever number) are pushed into a verdict they do not support.

No matter which side you sit on.
I respect their stance.

Its so important.
No matter the cost.
Whether she gets tried again or not.

Each juror stood their ground on what they believe to be true.

That is fair and righteous

moo
Ah, yes, that’s what the law says…do what your heart of hearts tells you, even when it is completely against all the evidence you’ve been shown.

Life got in the way today so I missed the whole debacle!!

It is interesting timing on Proctor’s re-homing! I hope - like sincerely hope - he gets worse. I also hope that some truly good detectives attempt to unravel this mess. However, at this point, it might be impossible. See, the original LE bungled it so badly, there just won’t be justice for JO.

I am sad for JO’s family, but the anger that Paul has shown is unnecessary and unhealthy for him!

Also, as for the supporters out front, there were some from both sides of the aisle. I don’t think in any way they were jury tampering or intimidation as the jury didn’t see them at all, they came in another door. They were there for their own personal beliefs and convictions, like we come here. I don’t fault them at all except when they attack others on the other side of the aisle. Peaceful demonstration is okay - war is not

How would they collect from someone with no money if she used it all to defend herself?
Conversely, I wonder if Karen will sue the MSP for Proctor's incompetent conduct.
MOO.

Imagine being a convicted person in a previous case he handled and wondering how he influenced the outcome! He's the whack job! MOO.

“Regarding Trooper Michael Proctor being relieved of duty, conduct has consequences. DA Morrissey backed this misogynist corrupt cop, and 2 hours after he announced he will pursue a second trial against an innocent woman Karen Read, The Massachusetts State Police announced that Michael Proctor the lead investigator for the Commonwealth has been relieved of duty ‘because of serious misconduct that emerged in testimony at the trial’. We look forward to another opportunity to reveal the truth about this unjust prosecution. Good Luck.”
I really like that Jackson chose to use misogynist and corrupt in tandem; Overall, the two most accurate (qualifier *non expletive) adjectives to describe Proctor's conduct, behaviour and attitudes as revealed in this trial. Jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rachelle(Ru-shell)