Found Deceased WY - Gabby Petito, Grand Teton National Park #88

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Ok ...

If this is true I'm starting to change my position on this lawsuit.

Disgraceful

I don’t think the Moab lawsuit will go anywhere, but I find the response by Moab to be tone-deaf. For a police department to suggest that women need to have better discernment when choosing intimate partners in order to be safe, is absolutely part of the problem. NO man should control, brutalize, assault, or kill women.

jmo

Who's job is it to teach girl's and young women what to do if their partner becomes abusive?

The government? Or their parents?
That is a really good question. Maybe it’s everyone’s job to educate women to spot red flags. Maybe it is everyone’s job to call out men who are abusive. And maybe it’s everyone’s job to help men understand that abuse - in any form - is not ok.

jmo

Comparing Responsibilities?

Nichole Schmidt & Joseph Petito's lawsuit for wrongful death of their daughter Gabby demands $50 million from Moab PD.

From Moab PD's Motion to Dismiss:*
".... Even if the plaintiffs believe that Moab City is liable, it strains credibility to suggest the City is 15-20 times more responsible for Ms. Petito's death than Brian Laundrie, her murderer."

I wonder about the source of the 15-20x figure.
Any ideas?

FWIW, from wiki, which has footnotes to links:
"Lawsuits
"Petito's parents sued Laundrie's parents and their attorney, with their November 30, 2023, amended complaint claiming pain and emotional distress due to Laundrie's parents and their attorney withholding information regarding Petito's death.[76] A Florida judge previously allowed the suit to proceed.[77]
"On November 17, 2022, in a lawsuit for wrongful death brought against Laundrie's estate by Petito's estate, her estate was awarded $3 million, the recovery of which was doubtful.[78]"
^ Killing of Gabby Petito - Wikipedia

Reactions: IDK
Comparing Responsibilities?

Nichole Schmidt & Joseph Petito's lawsuit for wrongful death of their daughter Gabby demands $50 million from Moab PD.

From Moab PD's Motion to Dismiss:*
".... Even if the plaintiffs believe that Moab City is liable, it strains credibility to suggest the City is 15-20 times more responsible for Ms. Petito's death than Brian Laundrie, her murderer."

I wonder about the source of the 15-20x figure.
Any ideas?

FWIW, from wiki, which has footnotes to links:
"Lawsuits
"Petito's parents sued Laundrie's parents and their attorney, with their November 30, 2023, amended complaint claiming pain and emotional distress due to Laundrie's parents and their attorney withholding information regarding Petito's death.[76] A Florida judge previously allowed the suit to proceed.[77]
"On November 17, 2022, in a lawsuit for wrongful death brought against Laundrie's estate by Petito's estate, her estate was awarded $3 million, the recovery of which was doubtful.[78]"
^ Killing of Gabby Petito - Wikipedia
15-20x greater than the $3 million suit again BL's estate

JMO

Last edited:
Dr. Laura Richards and the July 2022 Domestic Violence Report have detailed information regarding how the Moab police did not assess the situation correctly, and both agree that the Moab police did not even properly apply Utah's Physical Aggressor law correctly. I am not a lawyer, but found the above links helpful in understanding the reason for the lawsuit.

Richards literally wrote the book "Policing Domestic Violence". She is an expert and was interviewed by Tricia here on Websleuths.

Also, one of those police officers has a history of controlling behavior and exhibited violence with his ex-girlfriend, using police resources to stalk and threaten her. How can he serve and protect the public if he is an aggressor?

It's pretty simple what police departments need to do: Do not hire people with a history of abusing others. And use the DASH checklist to standardize how police respond to these "murders in slow motion". Using the checklist actually makes it easier for law enforcement to prove they did their due diligence. Pushing back on these simple standards is bad PR (blaming the victim) and suspicious.

I don’t think the Moab lawsuit will go anywhere, but I find the response by Moab to be tone-deaf. For a police department to suggest that women need to have better discernment when choosing intimate partners in order to be safe, is absolutely part of the problem. NO man should control, brutalize, assault, or kill women.

jmo
let us remember that he also killed himself, so even in the most sexist society, BL was not a mentally healthy individual IMO

Who's job is it to teach girl's and young women what to do if their partner becomes abusive?

The government? Or their parents?
In Gabby's case, maybe it could have been Moab PD to spot the marks on her face, the report from the passerby, the fact that Brian was gaslighting her and started the incident by taking her phone away, and not treating him as the victim. The toxic part of their relationship was hidden from her parents. The only thing Moab PD did right was to separate them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810
Back