NC NC - Asha Degree, 9, Shelby, 14 Feb 2000 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Based on what anyone might know about the history of the Dedmons, what would be their motive for harming Asha?

I'm also curious if people believe they (or their daughters) were responsible for luring Asha from her home, or if she left for a different reason and coincidentally crossed paths with them.

Based on what anyone might know about the history of the Dedmons, what would be their motive for harming Asha?

I'm also curious if people believe they (or their daughters) were responsible for luring Asha from her home, or if she left for a different reason and coincidentally crossed paths with them.
Valentine's Day lure? imo, speculation.
Fish Hook GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https://giphy.com/explore/fish-hook&psig=AOvVaw2rS5wMCHtuyMUHz80H5Isi&ust=1727135582022000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBUQ3YkBahcKEwio6cGA4NeIAxUAAAAAHQAAAAAQEQ

I don't have any theories about motive (though obviously there are certain kinds of people who tend to be responsible for child abductions). At this stage, I don't think police have any theories involving motive, either, instead I believe they are just following the evidence where it leads them. As it says in the affadavit, this couple are the common link to all the major evidence; their home being along that highway, the two different DNA, the green car....

IMO the luring idea conflicts with how she had apparently walked quite far down the highway before she was reportedly last seen, and also there's been no indication that she met up with anyone or was abducted from the shed. I tend to think a child luring of one so young, would involve arranging a meeting to whisk her away somewhere very close to her house, that she was sure to be familiar with, like her school bus stop. I can't picture a luring plan where a 9 year old is expected to walk so far, along a highway where she was not known to have ever walked, and was sure to be seen, and could have easily been 'rescued' by police, her parents, or a more persistant good samaritan.

JMO

Unrelated, noting this case of luring.fwiw 2023
'The 13-year-old Sunshine Coast girl who was lured to a sleepover to become the innocent target of a five-hour torture session, has spoken out about her inexplicable ordeal.'
"Three teens, aged between 12 and 14, have been arrested over the alleged torture of the girl who was subjected to being tied up, burnt and hit with bottles over a torturous five hours.''

This is why Connie and Roy could be suspects:

As per the affidavit , in explaining why they want the warrant - At least 3 people's DNA (could be more) were found on the bag. AnnaLee's hair inside, Underhill's DNA outside (non specified type) and unidentified DNA. It could be that person X (unidentified DNA) shares 50% with AnnaLees sample and from deduction potentially could match to only two people, Connie or Roy. The DNA sample took from Connie and Roy during the warrants will potentially prove this.

Secondly, Connie and Roy are the only couple of people that we know that are common denominators for AnnaLee and Underhill.

I think both of these factors are key

as of right now, since there really hasn't been anything to indicate a motive, it does seem like it was a coincidental crossing of paths. but that could certainly change if/when more info comes out

this is ***JMO***

This is why Connie and Roy could be suspects:

As per the affidavit , in explaining why they want the warrant - At least 3 people's DNA (could be more) were found on the bag. AnnaLee's hair inside, Underhill's DNA outside (non specified type) and unidentified DNA. It could be that person X (unidentified DNA) shares 50% with AnnaLees sample and from deduction potentially could match to only two people, Connie or Roy. The DNA sample took from Connie and Roy during the warrants will potentially prove this.

Secondly, Connie and Roy are the only couple of people that we know that are common denominators for AnnaLee and Underhill.

I think both of these factors are key
police have said thy think they helped in some way.

The lack of updates has me worried. I would think that if any leads were found from the evidence collected, we’d be seeing local LE movement by now i.e interviews, new search locations. I know forensics can take a long time, but they also collected phones, notebooks, etc. which certainly wouldn’t take this long to process. I really hope I’m wrong because if this Dedmon lead turns out to be nothing, I worry this case will never be solved. :(

The lack of updates has me worried. I would think that if any leads were found from the evidence collected, we’d be seeing local LE movement by now i.e interviews, new search locations. I know forensics can take a long time, but they also collected phones, notebooks, etc. which certainly wouldn’t take this long to process. I really hope I’m wrong because if this Dedmon lead turns out to be nothing, I worry this case will never be solved. :(
I wouldn’t be too worried just yet…I imagine the phones, notebooks, etc could take a bit of time to go through especially if they need to try to retrieve any deleted data for example

I also would imagine —just guessing on my part—that an arrest for aiding a crime as opposed to actually being the one who committed it could legally be a bit more complicated as well which might slow things down

Keeping my hopes up

***JMO***

The documents state that Asha was seen being pulled into a green car with rust around the wheels. How can someone see rust driving down a highway when it is still dark out? I am wondering if Asha made it to the convenience store after the original sightings of her walking down highway 18 and that is where this sighting happened.

I wouldn’t be too worried just yet…I imagine the phones, notebooks, etc could take a bit of time to go through especially if they need to try to retrieve any deleted data for example

I also would imagine —just guessing on my part—that an arrest for aiding a crime as opposed to actually being the one who committed it could legally be a bit more complicated as well which might slow things down

Keeping my hopes up

***JMO***
I agree. Don't throw in the towel yet. Look at the Laci Peterson case they had lots of circumstantial evidence against Scott they just didn't have Laci or Conner's body yet.
If overwhelming evidence is found (direct or circumstantial) they can still try this case without a body.

Poor Asha. I am hoping she gets Justice and her family gets answers.

Just wanted to share this link because this little girl was found 1.5 miles from her home after she slept walked into the woods. I know this theory has been mentioned in regards to Asha's case.

At this point, I think it has to go on the books as a possible reason for her leaving the house. While I have my doubts, I still think it is a viable possibility. I was a sleep walker as a teen and I know that I did some wild stuff and my sister-in-law was a sleep walker as a younger child. Her parents woke up one morning to her asleep in their living room and when they went outside to get the paper (can you tell how old we are? lol) They found the neighbor kids bike parked on their front porch! They figure she went over and got the bike in her sleep! She was about 9 years old at the time.

At this point, I think it has to go on the books as a possible reason for her leaving the house. While I have my doubts, I still think it is a viable possibility. I was a sleep walker as a teen and I know that I did some wild stuff and my sister-in-law was a sleep walker as a younger child. Her parents woke up one morning to her asleep in their living room and when they went outside to get the paper (can you tell how old we are? lol) They found the neighbor kids bike parked on their front porch! They figure she went over and got the bike in her sleep! She was about 9 years old at the time.

agreed. i'm leaning towards her sleepwalking, because nothing else really makes sense. if lured, she had to have either set an alarm to wake up at 2am or kept herself up until that time. and then, afraid of the dark and storms, still left the house? i don't think it's impossible, but seems a bit unlikely. kids can do a lot of things in their sleep, including packing a bag and using a key to lock/unlock a door.

agreed. i'm leaning towards her sleepwalking, because nothing else really makes sense. if lured, she had to have either set an alarm to wake up at 2am or kept herself up until that time. and then, afraid of the dark and storms, still left the house? i don't think it's impossible, but seems a bit unlikely. kids can do a lot of things in their sleep, including packing a bag and using a key to lock/unlock a door.
In the documentary where her parents were interviewed, the power had been out, so the adults had been sitting in the lounge with candles and an oil heater. It came back on at 11 i think, and Mom went to bed. Dad stayed up to wait for the oil heater to cool down (I guess for safety) and then went into the kids room to blow their candles out. That's how they know she was in bed at 2.30am. Her dad saw her.

I'm wondering if him coming in disturbed her and she half woke up (sleepwalking theory)

OR

Maybe she was waiting for her parents to go to bed to leave and her dad just went to bed especially late that night meaning she had to leave especially late.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back