Canada - Bruce McArthur charged in murders of six men, Toronto, 2010-2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not trying to sound arrogant but this seems like a case that could have been solved much earlier. There are many commonalities between the victims and cross-referencing the dating ap seems like as smoking gun. I suspect the police didn't take this case seriously until Kinsman disappeared and his sisters and friends lobbied hard for a better effort. Kinsman demographic and social status is different than some of the other victims.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, and i do respect yours, but i strongly disagree. I feel the LE have done an amazing job getting to where things are today, especially when they started with nothing. i do believe the explanation the LE has given in recent interviews, and i do believe they have put forward a solid effort from the beginning (Project Houston).

My perspective above is coming from a gay man, who happens to fit the general profile of BMs victims, and also uses the same apps and sites. To me, this is not a race issue, it's an issue of a psychopath walking among us who was very skilled at covering his tracks and flying under the radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This article is written by a detective who is the lead on missing women in Vancouver and also worked on the Pickton case. He raises some valid points on how marginalized people are treated in missing persons cases.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...rontos-alleged-serial-killer/article37832751/

“Many if not most police services share the burdens of a toxic and archaic culture staffed with predominantly heterosexual, cis-gender, white men. The minorities it does attract must subsume any marginalized identities and intersections within this large blue club.This is a critical dynamic for non-police people to understand. The recruitment of visible and non-visible minorities initially trumpets diversity and inclusion, but in reality, their admission requires that those people subliminally check their marginal identities at the door or they simply will not survive in policing. They will never hold any power to change the institution until their numbers reach a critical mass, but this doesn't happen because they can become overwhelmed by the culture and lose sight of that desire and of their identities, becoming the "good female officer," the "good queer officer," the "good black officer" – that police person who cloaks their identity for survival and appears to assume all the qualities and privilege of the majority.”

That is a looong time! Reading about this nut job reminded me of https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...46UMAB-25-30-Apr-77&highlight=septic+tank+sam

http://nationalpost.com/feature/bruce-mcarthur-small-town-sock-salesman-to-accused-serial-killer

But the investigation may eventually spread much further than that. Most serial murderers begin killing in their mid to late 30s, according to experts. McArthur spent at least some of his 30s and 40s working as a travelling salesman, pitching socks and underwear across Ontario. He has ties to Oshawa, the Kawartha Lakes area and other locations across the province.

“If I was advising the police, I’d advise them to look back at anybody — males that are missing, unsolved crimes — that go back 20 or 30 years,” said John Bradford, a forensic psychiatrist and expert on serial murders.
Hank Idsinga, the homicide detective leading the murder probe, says investigators are “definitely” looking into McArthur’s life before he came to Toronto, in about 2000.

But the people left behind from that life — friends, classmates and relatives — are looking back too, wondering who it is they’ve been staring at for all these years.
“Is this for real?” MacEachern remembers thinking at his house on Palestine Road, about a kilometre away from the worn-down black barn at the old farm where McArthur grew up.

This article is written by a detective who is the lead on missing women in Vancouver and also worked on the Pickton case. He raises some valid points on how marginalized people are treated in missing persons cases.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...rontos-alleged-serial-killer/article37832751/

“Many if not most police services share the burdens of a toxic and archaic culture staffed with predominantly heterosexual, cis-gender, white men. The minorities it does attract must subsume any marginalized identities and intersections within this large blue club.This is a critical dynamic for non-police people to understand. The recruitment of visible and non-visible minorities initially trumpets diversity and inclusion, but in reality, their admission requires that those people subliminally check their marginal identities at the door or they simply will not survive in policing. They will never hold any power to change the institution until their numbers reach a critical mass, but this doesn't happen because they can become overwhelmed by the culture and lose sight of that desire and of their identities, becoming the "good female officer," the "good queer officer," the "good black officer" – that police person who cloaks their identity for survival and appears to assume all the qualities and privilege of the majority.”
I literally have no words. I'm really just speechless, and sitting with this, and feeling this. So eloquently written, also.

Apologies if this is a bit OT, but it happens in all public/community/social services too. In my field, I can't tell you the amount of marginalize folks that persevere through educational institutions when really they have all the odds working against them, thrilled to have made it out the other side and begin their careers. They want to make a difference in the lives of so many, they strive for systemic and social change. Only to be met with the same toxic culture described above that keeps them oppressed. It becomes internalized, and burns them out. Some tap out because it's too detrimental, some become tolerant because they're at least grateful to have a decent job, and some fight only to be shamed for shedding light on an uncomfortable issue. And then it just continues...

So I lied, I wasn't that speechless.

I literally have no words. I'm really just speechless, and sitting with this, and feeling this. So eloquently written, also.

Apologies if this is a bit OT, but it happens in all public/community/social services too. In my field, I can't tell you the amount of marginalize folks that persevere through educational institutions when really they have all the odds working against them, thrilled to have made it out the other side and begin their careers. They want to make a difference in the lives of so many, they strive for systemic and social change. Only to be met with the same toxic culture described above that keeps them oppressed. It becomes internalized, and burns them out. Some tap out because it's too detrimental, some become tolerant because they're at least grateful to have a decent job, and some fight only to be shamed for shedding light on an uncomfortable issue. And then it just continues...

So I lied, I wasn't that speechless.

If you're unfamiliar with Lorimer (Lori) Shenher, see
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38796464 He absolutely knows whereof he speaks with respect to policing and marginalized groups. His writings about the Picton case and the MMIWG are well worth following.

CBC's version:

How the Robert Pickton case sparked changes to B.C. missing persons investigations
:what:
Feb 3, 2018

Snipped...
...That's why Oppal says one of the inquiry's main recommendations was that "where you have a missing person who is vulnerable, the police have a mandatory duty to conduct an investigation," he said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/bruce-mcarthur-robert-pickton-missing-persons-1.4517472

(NOTE: there are still far too many still missing & still unaccounted women in BC) :thinking:

Stephanie Smyth
‏Verified account @stephaniesmyth
45s45 seconds ago

#Breaking - Lead investigator shuts down rumour alleged #Toronto serial killer Bruce McArthur may have feasted in his victims —
Det Sgt Hank Idsinga tells @CP24 - ‘I saw that online too... and no, there is no truth to it..." -Hank

#Breaking - Lead investigator shuts down rumour alleged #Toronto serial killer Bruce McArthur may have feasted in his victims —
Det Sgt Hank Idsinga tells @CP24 - ‘I saw that online too... and no, there is no truth to it..." -Hank

So glad Idsinga shut down this hideous rumour quickly. The truth (whatever it may turn out to be) is bad enough without speculation like this.

Yeah, he's on the list... And it breaks my heart. No idea if he'd be connected to BM, but he's still missing and it's suspicious.
Just saving my spot for later. Heart breaking situation for the families and the communities involved.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

http://toronto.citynews.ca/2018/02/...working-alleged-serial-killer-bruce-mcarthur/
VIDEO.
[h=1]Sub-contractor speaks out about working with alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur[/h]Last Updated Feb 3, 2018 at 12:37 pm EST
CityNews has learned that Andrew Kinsman may have worked for the man who allegedly killed him — suspected serial killer Bruce McArthur, 66, as part of his landscaping business.

Matt MacKinnon, a sub-contractor who says he worked with McArthur, told CityNews he saw someone he believed to be Kinsman working with McArthur.

“On one occasion, I am pretty… I saw him working with Andrew Kinsman,” said MacKinnon. “He (Kinsman) is easy to recognize because he had a pretty distinctive moustache and he was big, he was in shape and most of his guys, Bruce’s guys, were older guys and don’t look like they were cut out for hard outdoor work or they’re older gentleman and that’s why I took notice.”

MacKinnon says McArthur would always have a partner with him, the “same man for about five years.”
“They would always have a different labourer, so the labourer changed every time I saw him but the same partner every time until this year,” said MacKinnon. “They were usually probably between 30 to 50, they were all men, brown, most of them didn’t speak to me so I don’t know if that it’s not unusual, I got the impression they didn’t speak English really well except for his partner, of course.”

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/vigil-fo...-not-alone-in-our-grief-pastor-says-1.3788318
[h=1]Vigil for alleged victims of Bruce McArthur a chance to 'realize we are not alone in our grief,' pastor says[/h]
A Riverdale church has organized a candlelight vigil for the presumed victims of alleged serial killer Bruce McArthur.

The vigil is being held at the Metropolitan Community Church near Gerrard Street and Carlaw Avenue at 7 p.m. on Sunday.

According to a press release, the vigil is being held to provide those who are grieving with a place for “contemplation, community prayer and support.
“The LGBTQ community is obviously deeply affected by this. A lot of people in the community can see themselves in the faces of the victims but this isn’t just an LGBTQ issue, it is affecting the entirety of the City of Toronto,” Reverend Jeff Rock told CP24 on Saturday. “We want to cross the boundaries of race and gender and sexuality and just build some solidarity in our community.”
rbbm.

heres the raw unedited interview with the subcontractor

http://toronto.citynews.ca/video/20...view-on-his-interactions-with-bruce-mcarthur/

It's stunning, the theme from everyone being interviewed from his past, about how normal this guy seemed on the surface.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rbbm.
It almost makes me wonder if BM ( allegedly ) killed the very people who represented what he may have secretly rejected about himself, his homosexuality.
imo, speculation.

Stephanie Smyth
‏Verified account @stephaniesmyth
45s45 seconds ago

OT- but this is interesting. So TPS can in fact shut down rumours (see the Sherman's case re: murder/suicide).

I do appreciate Idsinga's ongoing commitment to keep the public informed on this investigation. I'm wondering if more charges are being laid.

Hank Idsinga is one awesome cop, IMHO.

Quickly, I'm not sure if the following has been covered here.

How on earth did McArthur become a "Mall Santa" with that assault conviction on his record? Unless I'm wrong, he was doing the Santa thing recently, and his conviction was back in 2001.

A person has to pass a vulnerable persons sector check to do a gig like that, and you would think a conviction for violence would preclude them from such a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pearl lemon