Australia Claremont Serial Killer, 1996 - 1997, Perth, Western Australia - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: car fibres on JR

Anyone ever wondered why only CAR UPHOLSTERY FIBRES were found on JR??????

Surely JR's body being exposed to rain and wind during the Perth winter would wash or blow away a few measly car fibres????

JR's remains during later stages of decomposition maybe even had running water wash over her if this was a deluge of rain, and if she happened to be placed in the ditch by the side of the road.........

Surely any car fibres coming in contact with skin alone would wash away in winter weather.
Even car fibres mixed with mottled dried blood on her skin would probably have washed away too.

Tell me WHY car fibres remained????
Common sense says no.
Unless the car fibres were found hidden or lodged in a bodily cavity?
Then thats a whole new scenario....

Surely JR's body being exposed to rain and wind during the Perth winter would wash or blow away a few measly car fibres????

JR's remains during later stages of decomposition maybe even had running water wash over her if this was a deluge of rain, and if she happened to be placed in the ditch by the side of the road.........

Surely any car fibres coming in contact with skin alone would wash away in winter weather.
Even car fibres mixed with mottled dried blood on her skin would probably have washed away too.

Common sense says no.

web link for this quote.....

"Macro Taskforce painstakingly studied car upholstery fibres on one of the three victims — 23-year-old childcare worker Jane Rimmer......They had learned that the fibres found on Rimmer’s body could have come only from a mid-1990s Commodore VS Series. There were reportedly about 50 of these fibres and the exact upholstery was not used by Commodore in earlier or later models of the vehicle."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...d/news-story/f34913420ecf0edf1a4b991994f8254d

Common sense says no.

Guess work again , but the fibres could have been found on the part of the body touching the ground , the underside , and this stopped them being washed away

I suppose car fibres would find there way into little creases, trapping themself between fingers & toes, in ears, nose and in a belly-button.

Guess work again , but the fibres could have been found on the part of the body touching the ground , the underside , and this stopped them being washed away

that makes sense.....until the body weight reduces after decomposition, therefore making it easier for water to move underneath it.....and lillies grow around it....
but who knows

Re: Alluding to Familial DNA is not confirming thats how they found the accused BRE.

I can't access that article because its behind your pay wall sorry.

Does the rest of the article actually confirm thats how WAPOL located the accused?

Or does the article simply say that WAPOL used this familial DNA technique to help search for the owner of the DNA?

There's a huge difference between:
A) confirming familial DNA match after using the technique
and
B) using familial DNA technique to continue searching for owner of DNA.

The quote you provided is very ambiguous IMO
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/ne...d/news-story/f34913420ecf0edf1a4b991994f8254d
Good news - I found the article.
The article ends with these sentences:
"And they believed they had managed to obtain a DNA profile of the killer from the body of Glennon. In an astonishing development, they matched this to the Karrakatta rape in 1995.
The person they were looking for, they decided, drove a late-model mid-1990s white Holden Commodore VS Series in the mid-1990s. They had his DNA but they did not know who he was.
Next came the technique sometimes called “familial DNA” where police look for people who are closely related to a suspected offender."

This final sentence puts the idea into our heads that WAPOL found BRE through Familial DNA.
But in NO WAY does it confirm Familial DNA techniques led WAPOL to BRE.

JMO

I think WAPOL gave the public Familial DNA as a red herring so we'd all think Familial DNA was the last clue that led to the greatest discovery in WA cold case history.

Years later the CIA Video advised CG was seen speaking to someone driving a light-coloured station wagon. How would they know the colour and type of vehicle he drove? Could that be because they clicked on it was the boot-lined guy – the one they let go? Was the boot-lined guy driving a white Commodore Station wagon?

"Macro Taskforce painstakingly studiedcar upholstery fibres on one of the three victims — 23-year-old childcareworker Jane Rimmer......They had learned that the fibres found on Rimmer’s bodycould have come only from a mid-1990sCommodore VS Series. There were reportedly about 50 of these fibres and theexact upholstery was not used by Commodore in earlier or later models of thevehicle."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...4b991994f8254d

Re: Alluding to Familial DNA is not confirming thats how they found the accused BRE.

Good news - I found the article.
The article ends with these sentences:
"And they believed they had managed to obtain a DNA profile of the killer from the body of Glennon. In an astonishing development, they matched this to the Karrakatta rape in 1995.
The person they were looking for, they decided, drove a late-model mid-1990s white Holden Commodore VS Series in the mid-1990s. They had his DNA but they did not know who he was.
Next came the technique sometimes called “familial DNA” where police look for people who are closely related to a suspected offender."

This final sentence puts the idea into our heads that WAPOL found BRE through Familial DNA.
But in NO WAY does it confirm Familial DNA techniques led WAPOL to BRE.

JMO

I think WAPOL gave the public Familial DNA as a red herring so we'd all think Familial DNA was the last clue that led to the greatest discovery in WA cold case history.

I have no idea how this DNA caper works , but the term Familial suggests family , so check the family of a suspected offender , makes sense , But why was he suspected

Maybe a family member got in strife and their DNA was a close match so look at their family members , that makes sense

But to look at his family members because he was a suspect makes no sense at all

Or as to my previous hypothetical , his DNA was there all along and missed ... the familial DNA story is a cover story

I have no idea how this DNA caper works , but the term Familial suggests family , so check the family of a suspected offender , makes sense , But why was he suspected

Maybe a family member got in strife and their DNA was a close match so look at their family members , that makes sense

But to look at his family members because he was a suspect makes no sense at all

Or as to my previous hypothetical , his DNA was there all along and missed ... the familial DNA story is a cover story
Maybe it was on the kimono. ie, the Kimono was stolen of his parent's clothesline?

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Years later the CIA Video advised CG was seen speaking to someone driving a light-coloured station wagon. How would they know the colour and type of vehicle he drove? Could that be because they clicked on it was the boot-lined guy – the one they let go? Was the boot-lined guy driving a white Commodore Station wagon?

"Macro Taskforce painstakingly studiedcar upholstery fibres on one of the three victims — 23-year-old childcareworker Jane Rimmer......They had learned that the fibres found on Rimmer’s bodycould have come only from a mid-1990sCommodore VS Series. There were reportedly about 50 of these fibres and theexact upholstery was not used by Commodore in earlier or later models of thevehicle."

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...4b991994f8254d

Boot lined suggest a sedan I think , it has been suggested a lot that a work vehicle was used ,how long did Telstra / Telecom use the cars for before replacing them ... I know the car could have been purchased privately later on

Maybe it was on the kimono. ie, the Kimono was stolen of his parent's clothesline?

Sent from my HTC 2PQ910 using Tapatalk

Ok I can see that happening , but how did they connect the DNA to him later , that's what I cant get

The West Australian June 18[SUP]th,[/SUP] 1988, page 1. By Steve Lague. New Southside murder hunt.

Police find partially clothed body of Vanessa Roberta Devlin 23 years old.

Certain similarities to other attacks by south side rapist.

Found on floor of a sleepout at the rear of an Albany Highway house. House is 100m from highway and no close neighbours with a railway line running alongside.

South side rapist may be responsible for more than 16 attacks on women in the past 2 years. They include the murder of Victoria Clark aged 30.

Suspect is mid 20’s 175 cm tall medium build, dark curly hair and brown eyes.

Police unwilling to say just one man was responsible. Maybe shift worker.

My bolding. This is the south side rapist I was asking about?

The 2 women mentioned were murdered by different men who were found guilty of those murders.

James Tilbury

David Troy Masters

It's my opinion that the "Southside Rapist" was likely at least half a dozen different men and unrelated to CSK.

Boot lined suggest a sedan I think , it has been suggested a lot that a work vehicle was used ,how long did Telstra / Telecom use the cars for before replacing them ... I know the car could have been purchased privately later on

hey mate,
I have a wagon with a rubber boot liner, gotta keep the mutts off the carpet when they've been swimming in puddles and what not lol.

Also, thanks spooks for posting about the DNA I was always under the impression the media had suggested familial DNA but it was never officially disclosed as to how they matched it - in other words, the media just took a stab in the dark without providing any evidence (like a direct quote from WA Police)

Forgot to mention, there is now "touch DNA" isn't there? Or have I been watching too much TV?

Common sense says no.

Totally agree. Have thought that from the start when it was mentioned. Will be interested to see if that is presented at trial as evidence. Given the commodore was probably the one of highest selling vehicles in Australia at the time it would be circumstantial at best. Could have picked up the fibers from a taxi she caught earlier that night or any number of ways. Maybe car seat dumped as part of rubbish dumped at the site. Would be very surprised if they were the only thing that remained and more likely they focused on that as it fit the theory. Have seen the area she was found and it was basically a swamp. Exposed to elements of Perth winter for 2 months, likely submerged for some of that period and they found car seat fibres to fit their theory. Convenient. WAPOL seem to get lucky like that regularly.

It’s hard to say, but companies will generally keep a hold of a fleet vehicle until its New Car Warranty period has ended, roughly around three years depending on the manufacturer. New Car Warranty period would be, for example of one manufacturer I worked for, 3 years or 100,000kms - whichever occurrs first. Often though, they would exceed the number of kilometres covered by the NCW but still hold onto the vehicle until the three years was up. That’s a general guide though I guess and I’m only speaking of the last ten years. My apologies if my information is unhelpful but thought I’d throw it out there.

Fibres located and tested could have come from Gaffer Tape, twisted in rope, in hair, on clothing and underwear.... Fact is we don't know where the Fibres were located and any other fibres (animal). Not until a decision is to be made on whether there is to be a trial or not - and, when evidence is presented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghosty_gal