Wrongful death trial begins. Trial coverage and discussion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading about the defense tactics of drawing out questioning of expert witness makes me believe they are hoping to exhaust either the experts... or exhaust the funds to pay the experts. The have to know the plaintiffs don't have the deep pockets.'

Or, I guess it could be similar to tactics we've seen here and on other sites with the gas lighting with the intent to exhaust and confuse the jury.

So frustrating!

Reading about the defense tactics of drawing out questioning of expert witness makes me believe they are hoping to exhaust either the experts... or exhaust the funds to pay the experts. The have to know the plaintiffs don't have the deep pockets.'

Or, I guess it could be similar to tactics we've seen here and on other sites with the gas lighting with the intent to exhaust and confuse the jury.

So frustrating!
Or do they know something about the juror who has a conflict if the trial takes longer than expected? I hope not and trust they will perform their Civic duty responsibly and justly.
JMO MOO etc

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Update from Mary Zahau from the fundraiser website:

Week #3 of trial started today at 10am San Diego time. Cyril Wecht, medical examiner, testified that he believed Rebecca was manually strangulated before hanging her to cover up murder. Our attorney, Keith Greer presented his direct questioning in 50 minutes but the defendant’s attorney, Dan Webb, cross examined Dr Wecht for almost 3 hours. Dr Wecht held his testimony that Rebecca was murdered by manual strangulation.

Thank you all for your prayers and support throughout the past 6.5 years. Thank you financial donations to help us pay for experts such as Dr Wecht to testify on what really happened to a Rebecca Zahau.

Dr Kent, kinesiology and body mechanics experts, is scheduled testify tomorrow 3/13/18. Please pray God will work through him and the court system to continue on testimony of Rebecca’s murder.

This Thursday 3/15/18 is Rebecca’s birthday and I know she gets the best birthday party in heaven but testimonies of her murder would be topping on the cake towards justice long due.

Several of the captions on the pictures relate to defendant's attorney questioning Dr. CW about whether it's common to exhume a body for a television show. The plaintiffs had to know that would be asked in a fairly assertive manner, as a means to discredit his exam and all of his findings.

There is also a caption about the first 2 pages of Dr. CW's autopsy being "missing"? (Along with a pic of him with his hand to his face, and that he was "agitated" by the questioning.

Was anyone in court today who can elaborate on Dr. CW's testimony? Very interested to hear more.
Several of the captions on the pictures relate to defendant's attorney questioning Dr. CW about whether it's common to exhume a body for a television show. The plaintiffs had to know that would be asked in a fairly assertive manner, as a means to discredit his exam and all of his findings.

There is also a caption about the first 2 pages of Dr. CW's autopsy being "missing"? (Along with a pic of him with his hand to his face, and that he was "agitated" by the questioning.

Was anyone in court today who can elaborate on Dr. CW's testimony? Very interested to hear more.

Hi K_Z

I was in court all day today. (Please help by correcting my spelling re the medical terminology as your so brilliant at it!) anyhoo, here’s my feedback for you...

I’ve looked at photos in the news link posted and the comments, and I have to say, in my laymen’s opinion, they give a poor representation of Cyril Wecht’s testimony.

I would summarize as follows - Mr Greer was very concise, in fact I was surprised how short his questioning was to be honest, around an hour and a half in total I recall. A considerable amount of time was spent on Dr. Wecht detailing his experience. I can see why. His experience was extraordinary, and impressive. His credentials were quite, well, astounding. Tens of thousands of autopsies in an incredible 60 plus year career. In summary he wrote the book on legal, forensic pathology. No, literally...he wrote it.

Dr. Wecht came across as super professional, with great integrity, and a man who appeared not to suffer fools gladly ( an understatement). He completed or assisted in over 500 autopsies last year alone. Although advanced in years, and sometimes perhaps ‘a little long winded’ in his replies, he was razor sharp on topic, and obviously knew his subject inside and out ( if you pardon the pun)

Mr Greer’s questioning was concise, and focused on a few key areas, primarily the 4 SG hemorrhages between the skull and scalp, ( injuries that Dr W stated were IHO due to blunt force trauma, RZ being struck about the head ), also the very deep bruising found in the ribs cartledge ( DR W suggested that this could have been caused by the pressure of an assailants knee) on the right lower side / back, and finally the throat injuries - primarily the croicoid fracture ( being the area below your Adam’s apple) the damage being caused IHO by manual strangulation before the hanging.

At the end of mr Greer’s questioning, I felt it was very powerful testimony. This gentleman’s experience was so impressive, he was so convincing, The final statement into testimony was from Dr W was that he was convinced by his experience, the autopsy, and his lengthy detailed research ...that RZ was manually strangled and there was a hanging to cover it up.

It was short, sharp, and shocking.

There was a ten minute break and I thought, wow, how on earth do you come back and follow that?

Well, the defense attorney began by focusing almost two hours of questioning on the fact that the copy of the autopsy report Dr W had sent to the defense in March 2017 had a typo on the date ( 2016 instead of 2017) The typo was by Mr Greer’s office, but next to the date the ‘received’ stamp from Dr W’ s office with the correct date. Ok, if you were bored senseless by that sentence...imagine sitting through an hour plus explaining it.

Everyone was sort of looking at each other, bewildered, thinking...why? So what?

Moving on ...then to the fact that the title pages of 1 and 2 were missing from the documents of the second autopsy Dr W supplied. The doctor explained that it had been six years since he wrote the report, he had moved offices and they had destroyed 20,000 plus documents after the move of his offices, so this may explain why they could not locate the first two pages, and they also could not locate the photographs taken of the second autopsy.

Dr W explained everything he had was handed over and the body of the report had all his findings - anyhow, there was nothing to hide or be gained from withholding the two additional pages, he can answer any and all questions as the actual autopsy was fulling covered in the remaining 13 pages. He also explained he was not required to keep the documents, let alone for years and years. The defence went on to question where he looked, if he asked this person, that person, his secretary, his assistant...and on and on about who he asked and where he looked...

The defense spent literally hours and going over, and over, and over....and over, the fact there were two pages missing. Dr Wecht did get frustrated by the same question over and over again, and even the judge was getting frustrated.

The photo with Dr W with his head in his hands seen on the photo gallery was during this time I recall , it was literally like pulling teeth. I can only imagine what the jury was thinking.

IMO, overall Dr W left the defense attorney looking totally inadequate, and no one really knew what it was all about until Dr W finally had a bit of an outburst and said that there was no withholding of documents, or anything like it and it was personally defamatory and insulting for there to be any such suggestion.

Trying to discredit Cyril Wecht, wow, don’t go there would be my advice. It’s like trying to prove Mother Theresa didn’t like the poor.

The defense then went on to ask Dr W if Mr Greer shared the DNA evidence with him. Dr W said no, as he was a forensic pathologist and his area of expertise was not DNA. However, the defense continued to spend what felt like another several hours showing every knot, and highlighting ( again) where RZ’s DNA was found...on every knot., on every photo. Same question....same reply...

Each time Dr W explained he is not a DNA expert and did not know about where the DNA was or was not found and Mr Greer did not share the information with him and he is not a DNA expert, he is a forensic pathologist.

Dr W was also asked if he felt he should have consulted the Sheriff’s dept to discuss why they thought it was a suicide case, wouldn’t that have been ‘a good idea?’ ...and the reply from Dr W was that it would be totally unethical to do such a thing unless ordered by the court or as directed by Mr Greer, and he what would best be described as ‘chastised’ the defense attorney for not understanding the proper process! “ I don’t poke my nose in the investigations of others. It is ridiculous to suggest I should do so. This is real life, sir, what you suggest you may see in a television show, but not in the real world....” was a typical response.

At one point, the Defence attorney said words to the effect of ‘Am I not correct in saying that if I were to walk into that courtroom door, I could well get a subgaleal scalp hemorrhage such as one Rebecca had?’

To which Dr Wecht said ‘Yes, and you would need to be stupid to walk into it once, but very stupid to walk into it another three, separate times...’

Everyone giggled except the defence. A moment of levity in otherwise a very tense ( and sad) evidence day.

The only other significant medical evidence introduced by the defence in cross examination was an apparent rope burn to the lower left neck/ upper shoulder area of of the deep furrow on a photo shown in RZs throat.

The defence suggested this was caused by the rope starting lower on the throat and then slipping up the neck, causing the lower ( croicoid ) throat injury. Dr Weight said the mark was clearly a vertical injury, IHO it could not possibly have been the cause of the lower throat injury as the rope would need to be horizontal. He was firm, and (very persuasively) dismissive of the suggestion.

To close proceedings, it appeared to me ( my interpretation only) that a letter Dr Wecht had written to Ann Bremner regarding his thoughts on the case ( in 2011) had been disallowed into evidence due to an apparent, previous objection by the defense. At the very end of the day, Mr Greer attempted to have that brought into evidence to counter the defenses cross examination that Dr W had changed his opinion from his initial findings of ‘undetermined’ to ‘homicide’. They objected strongly, but the judge said that as the defence had spent several hours discussing and referring to the document that accompanied the ‘missing-pages’, it was only fair Mr Greer could introduce it.

Then there were more objections as Mr Greer wanted Dr W to read it aloud for the jury. The judge sided with the defense. However, Mr Greer asked for it to go up on the big screen, got his pointer stick...and he read it out aloud himself! Saying is that your opinion Dr Wecht? At the end of each paragraph.

It stated very clearly ( in summary) that Dr W felt that in 2011 after the second autopsy, RZ had been manually strangled and the hanging was likely staged to cover this up, and the investigation should be reopened.

The hours and hours trying to discredit Dr W, and what I saw as an implication of his testimony being changed to garner publicity and for Dr Phil...went straight. down. the. pan.

There was a lot between, but that’s the thrust of the day to the best of my recollection. Mr Greer in my opinion had a very, very successful day.

...And Dr Wecht is a very exceptional doctor.

Sorry this is long, hope it gives an insight into my opinion the day for you all.

EDITED to add

Re your question, the defence suggested it was unusual to have a second autopsy. Dr W said there was nothing ‘unusual’ about it. It was less common, but not unusual. He countered what I saw as an insinuation he was ‘in it for the publicity’ by reminding the defence that the family had requested the second autopsy and it was done at THEIR request and with their permission. How they chose to go about funding the retrieval and transport of their family members body, in this case by enlisting the help of Dr Phil, was not for him to comment or Judge. He did not charge anything for the second autopsy as he believed it would help the family and they wanted his opinion - as it was THEY who expressly gave permission and wanted it done via their attorney at that time.

Wow! I’m so glad you’re in court, Lezah. That series of photos of Wecht and captions in the news link had me worried. Your description of the testimony is masterful. I’m feeling much better!

I can't believe this high powered team of attorneys made such a stupid blunder.
You WIN the objection and manage to keep something out....
So your next move is to then INTRODUCE IT YOURSELF?
What a bunch of idiots.

THANK YOU Lezah! I do wish there was more thorough reporting on this but at least we have people attending who can help fill us in. :wave:

Lezah -- WOW. Thank you soooooo much for the amazing recap of court today. Those of us following are hungry for detail & this is really amazing. I am very heartened to hear that by the end of the day, all the defense efforts to discredit seemed to be for naught. Sounds like a successful day for Mr. Greer and the Zahau family. We appreciate your insight. Any time you want to share, we're always eager to hear. Thank you again for taking the time to share this. :)

P.S. -- I'm in San Diego. WISH I had the flexibility to take at least a day or two to be in the courtroom, but work calls, unfortunately. :-(

Hi K_Z

I was in court all day today. (Please help by correcting my spelling re the medical terminology as your so brilliant at it!) anyhoo, here’s my feedback for you...

I’ve looked at photos in the news link posted and the comments, and I have to say, in my laymen’s opinion, they give a poor representation of Cyril Wecht’s testimony.

I would summarize as follows - Mr Greer was very concise, in fact I was surprised how short his questioning was to be honest, around an hour and a half in total I recall. A considerable amount of time was spent on Dr. Wecht detailing his experience. I can see why. His experience was extraordinary, and impressive. His credentials were quite, well, astounding. Tens of thousands of autopsies in an incredible 60 plus year career. In summary he wrote the book on legal, forensic pathology. No, literally...he wrote it.

Dr. Wecht came across as super professional, with great integrity, and a man who appeared not to suffer fools gladly ( an understatement). He completed or assisted in over 500 autopsies last year alone. Although advanced in years, and sometimes perhaps ‘a little long winded’ in his replies, he was razor sharp on topic, and obviously knew his subject inside and out ( if you pardon the pun)

Mr Greer’s questioning was concise, and focused on a few key areas, primarily the 4 SG hemorrhages between the skull and scalp, ( injuries that Dr W stated were IHO due to blunt force trauma, RZ being struck about the head ), also the very deep bruising found in the ribs cartledge ( DR W suggested that this could have been caused by the pressure of an assailants knee) on the right lower side / back, and finally the throat injuries - primarily the croicoid fracture ( being the area below your Adam’s apple) the damage being caused IHO by manual strangulation before the hanging.

At the end of mr Greer’s questioning, I felt it was very powerful testimony. This gentleman’s experience was so impressive, he was so convincing, The final statement into testimony was from Dr W was that he was convinced by his experience, the autopsy, and his lengthy detailed research ...that RZ was manually strangled and there was a hanging to cover it up.

It was short, sharp, and shocking.

There was a ten minute break and I thought, wow, how on earth do you come back and follow that?

Well, the defense attorney began by focusing almost two hours of questioning on the fact that the copy of the autopsy report Dr W had sent to the defense in March 2017 had a typo on the date ( 2016 instead of 2017) The typo was by Mr Greer’s office, but next to the date the ‘received’ stamp from Dr W’ s office with the correct date. Ok, if you were bored senseless by that sentence...imagine sitting through an hour plus explaining it.

Everyone was sort of looking at each other, bewildered, thinking...why? So what?

Moving on ...then to the fact that the title pages of 1 and 2 were missing from the documents of the second autopsy Dr W supplied. The doctor explained that it had been six years since he wrote the report, he had moved offices and they had destroyed 20,000 plus documents after the move of his offices, so this may explain why they could not locate the first two pages, and they also could not locate the photographs taken of the second autopsy.

Dr W explained everything he had was handed over and the body of the report had all his findings - anyhow, there was nothing to hide or be gained from withholding the two additional pages, he can answer any and all questions as the actual autopsy was fulling covered in the remaining 13 pages. He also explained he was not required to keep the documents, let alone for years and years. The defence went on to question where he looked, if he asked this person, that person, his secretary, his assistant...and on and on about who he asked and where he looked...

The defense spent literally hours and going over, and over, and over....and over, the fact there were two pages missing. Dr Wecht did get frustrated by the same question over and over again, and even the judge was getting frustrated.

The photo with Dr W with his head in his hands seen on the photo gallery was during this time I recall , it was literally like pulling teeth. I can only imagine what the jury was thinking.

IMO, overall Dr W left the defense attorney looking totally inadequate, and no one really knew what it was all about until Dr W finally had a bit of an outburst and said that there was no withholding of documents, or anything like it and it was personally defamatory and insulting for there to be any such suggestion.

Trying to discredit Cyril Wecht, wow, don’t go there would be my advice. It’s like trying to prove Mother Theresa didn’t like the poor.

The defense then went on to ask Dr W if Mr Greer shared the DNA evidence with him. Dr W said no, as he was a forensic pathologist and his area of expertise was not DNA. However, the defense continued to spend what felt like another several hours showing every knot, and highlighting ( again) where RZ’s DNA was found...on every knot., on every photo. Same question....same reply...

Each time Dr W explained he is not a DNA expert and did not know about where the DNA was or was not found and Mr Greer did not share the information with him and he is not a DNA expert, he is a forensic pathologist.

Dr W was also asked if he felt he should have consulted the Sheriff’s dept to discuss why they thought it was a suicide case, wouldn’t that have been ‘a good idea?’ ...and the reply from Dr W was that it would be totally unethical to do such a thing unless ordered by the court or as directed by Mr Greer, and he what would best be described as ‘chastised’ the defense attorney for not understanding the proper process! “ I don’t poke my nose in the investigations of others. It is ridiculous to suggest I should do so. This is real life, sir, what you suggest you may see in a television show, but not in the real world....” was a typical response.

At one point, the Defence attorney said words to the effect of ‘Am I not correct in saying that if I were to walk into that courtroom door, I could well get a subgaleal scalp hemorrhage such as one Rebecca had?’

To which Dr Wecht said ‘Yes, and you would need to be stupid to walk into it once, but very stupid to walk into it another three, separate times...’

Everyone giggled except the defence. A moment of levity in otherwise a very tense ( and sad) evidence day.

The only other significant medical evidence introduced by the defence in cross examination was an apparent rope burn to the lower left neck/ upper shoulder area of of the deep furrow on a photo shown in RZs throat.

The defence suggested this was caused by the rope starting lower on the throat and then slipping up the neck, causing the lower ( croicoid ) throat injury. Dr Weight said the mark was clearly a vertical injury, IHO it could not possibly have been the cause of the lower throat injury as the rope would need to be horizontal. He was firm, and (very persuasively) dismissive of the suggestion.

To close proceedings, it appeared to me ( my interpretation only) that a letter Dr Wecht had written to Ann Bremner regarding his thoughts on the case ( in 2011) had been disallowed into evidence due to an apparent, previous objection by the defense. At the very end of the day, Mr Greer attempted to have that brought into evidence to counter the defenses cross examination that Dr W had changed his opinion from his initial findings of ‘undetermined’ to ‘homicide’. They objected strongly, but the judge said that as the defence had spent several hours discussing and referring to the document that accompanied the ‘missing-pages’, it was only fair Mr Greer could introduce it.

Then there were more objections as Mr Greer wanted Dr W to read it aloud for the jury. The judge sided with the defense. However, Mr Greer asked for it to go up on the big screen, got his pointer stick...and he read it out aloud himself! Saying is that your opinion Dr Wecht? At the end of each paragraph.

It stated very clearly ( in summary) that Dr W felt that in 2011 after the second autopsy, RZ had been manually strangled and the hanging was likely staged to cover this up, and the investigation should be reopened.

The hours and hours trying to discredit Dr W, and what I saw as an implication of his testimony being changed to garner publicity and for Dr Phil...went straight. down. the. pan.

There was a lot between, but that’s the thrust of the day to the best of my recollection. Mr Greer in my opinion had a very, very successful day.

...And Dr Wecht is a very exceptional doctor.

Sorry this is long, hope it gives an insight into my opinion the day for you all.

EDITED to add

Re your question, the defence suggested it was unusual to have a second autopsy. Dr W said there was nothing ‘unusual’ about it. It was less common, but not unusual. He countered what I saw as an insinuation he was ‘in it for the publicity’ by reminding the defence that the family had requested the second autopsy and it was done at THEIR request and with their permission. How they chose to go about funding the retrieval and transport of their family members body, in this case by enlisting the help of Dr Phil, was not for him to comment or Judge. He did not charge anything for the second autopsy as he believed it would help the family and they wanted his opinion - as it was THEY who expressly gave permission and wanted it done via their attorney at that time.

Thank you so much for the great coverage of this trial day. And I'm glad you got to see Dr. Wecht in action. He is fantastic in his combined wide knowledge and experience along with ability to explain things in an understandable way.

Adding my thanks to Lezah for taking the time to write up your day in court for us.

Why are they making the point about Adam's DNA not being on the rope even though it's his case that he held the rope while cutting it and lowering her body to the ground and he moved the rope knot at the wrist to take her pulse? Sounds to me as if they are making a good case for him still wearing gloves at around 6 am to go get his coffee.

Lezah, thank you very much for your detailed description of events from the courtroom. Seems much different than what the biased photos put out by the San Diego newspaper led the public to believe about Dr. Wecht’s testimony.

I remember that--the "vigorous blue pencil" admonishment case.

Filed in Maricopa County, AZ, 7/16/2013. Here's a link to the docket. It was ultimately dismissed *with prejudice* on 11/6/2015. (Meaning, DS cannot sue JS again for Max's wrongful death.)

http://www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov/docket/CivilCourtCases/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CV2013-009289

Here's a link to the Minute Entries:

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.go...te=12/01/2015&submit=Retrieve+Minute+Entries#

This very old thread has some snips from some of the AZ case documents.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-Death-Suit-filed-Nov-13-2013-in-California-3

Thank you KZ.

Several of us have been keeping the Media thread updated. Wouldn’t want any media to disappear :wink:.

WS Thread:
www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?148814-CA-Rebecca-Zahau-Nalepa-Suicide-or-Murder-Media-links-amp-Timelines-*NO-DISCUSSION*/page13

Day 7 - Civil Trial

• Pathologist testifies that Rebecca Zahau’s death was a homicide

March 12, 2018 By Sasha Foo

www.kusi.com/pathologist-testifies-that-rebecca-zahaus-death-was-a-homicide/

• Well-known pathologist testifies in trial that Zahau was strangled

March 12, 2018 by Lyndsay Winkley

www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-pathologist-20180312-story.html

• Will the Rebecca Zahau Civil Case Jury Reach a Conclusion Different From the Investigators?

By Chris Kelly 2018/03/12

coronadotimes.com/news/2018/03/12/will-the-rebecca-zahau-civil-case-jury-reach-a-conclusion-different-from-the-investigators/

• Doctor That Performed Second Autopsy Testifies That Rebecca Zahau was Strangled

March 12, 2018

Video link-

Dr. Cyril Wecht testified in Rebecca Zahau`s wrongful death lawsuit that she was strangled to death and sustained four hemorrhages on her head.

www.dailymotion.com/video/x6g7bsm

Adding my thanks to Lezah for taking the time to write up your day in court for us.

Why are they making the point about Adam's DNA not being on the rope even though it's his case that he held the rope while cutting it and lowering her body to the ground and he moved the rope knot at the wrist to take her pulse? Sounds to me as if they are making a good case for him still wearing gloves at around 6 am to go get his coffee.

Betty P. in post #473 said this about the testing done on the rope:

"No mention of the fact (though it came out in follow up) that the SDSO tech only tested 10 spots on the rope located near the bindings. No testing was done on the rest of the rope, including the area near where Adam allegedly cut her loose after finding her hanging. So when they say "Adam's DNA wasn't found anywhere at the crime scene" it's because

1 Adam was probably wearing the gloves found at the crime scene

2 SDSO never tested evidence in areas where Adam's DNA might have showed up."

Lezah, thank you for a wonderfully detailed description of your experience in court yesterday! Very much appreciated!

I lol'd at several of your comments! Yes, it would be pretty stupid to walk into a door 3 or four times with enough energy to cause SG hemorrhages.

Along that same line, I'd like to hear someone who can calculate the mechanics of how it could be possible for Rebecca's body to continue to swing with such force and energy as to cause 4 relatively equal hemorrhages, AFTER the direction and force was changed by impacting "something" on the balcony or cactus plant. It's my understanding that there wasn't enough rope for her head to have impacted the side wall of the mansion in that scenario.

Did Dr. W. discuss at all the torn neck muscles, and the kinds of force needed to do that? Did he opine about the scenario of going over from the top, versus being hoisted from below?

Did he opine as to whether or not her heart was beating when she was sent over the railing? (Going back to the autopsy evidence of the actively bleeding torn muscles.)

Perhaps the kinesiologist will discuss something about the rope and physics of the hanging scenario today. I hope so.

Also, if the hogtie scenario is accurate, how does that explain the toe marks in the dust on the balcony that were presumed to be Rebecca's bound ankles on tiptoe? Was this addressed by the knot expert at all? Or maybe that's coming later on closing.

Again, THANK YOU Lezah!! If you have the time and energy, please share more of your insights and experiences from court, if you attend.

:loveyou: :tyou:

I'm listening to this right now and Caitlin Rother is talking about Adam's high-powered defense team and how "they don't mess around." "They've pulled people in from across the country to sit at that defense table."

She says based on their opening statement and the questions they're asking plaintiffs' witnesses, it's pretty clear their angle is that there's no evidence to prove Adam was involved. She says it's also pretty clear they plan to paint Rebecca as "an impulsive and reckless person who was having affairs while she was married" ... "she was arrested for shoplifting" ... "she was very obsessive about her weight and also about what she ate and that she seemed to be losing weight lately." Rother then notes that when Greer played the 9-1-1- call by XS when Max fell, you could hear Rebecca and "how distraught she was when that little boy fell."

(This is interesting to me, because Rother seems to feel, or maybe I should say she's pointing out that Rebecca's crying or wailing in the background on the 9-1-1 tape somehow bolsters, or will be used to bolster the defense's argument about RZ's "impulsive and reckless" nature.)

Rother also says the defense will be calling SDSO employees to make the point it was suicide.

So, fellow posters, I think we better buckle our seatbelts, because it seems we'll be hearing a lot of Rebecca bashing, and to add insult to injury, we'll be hearing a lot from that crack team of "death investigators" who did such a bang-up job driving hard and fast to their suicide conclusion.

I'm already ticked off and the defense isn't even at bat yet.

having affairs while married.... obsessive about looks (like restalyn?). almost sounds like her other half we're talking about

Dr. Wecht testified Rebecca may have been bludgeoned by a hard possibly rounded object. Has Greer mentioned the red dog bone (below) found in the LE photos? Possibly used as the hard rounded object Rebecca was bludgeoned with? IIRC, the red dog bone was one of those items NOT collected or taken into evidence. Does anyone else recall this? The dog bone is not listed in SW 41227.

BBM-
The first was the presence of four hemorrhages on the right side of Zahau’s scalp. Wecht determined the injuries were caused by blunt force trauma suggesting Zahau may have been bludgeoned with a hard, possibly rounded object that could have led to her losing consciousness before her death.
http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/courts/sd-me-zahau-pathologist-20180312-story.html

SW 41227 -http://ftpcontent.worldnow.com/kfmb/misc/warrant_41227.pdf

Attachments

• C9263005-20C9-4AEE-9782-001E57DA4102.jpg
    C9263005-20C9-4AEE-9782-001E57DA4102.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 40
I'm listening to this right now and Caitlin Rother is talking about Adam's high-powered defense team and how "they don't mess around." "They've pulled people in from across the country to sit at that defense table."

She says based on their opening statement and the questions they're asking plaintiffs' witnesses, it's pretty clear their angle is that there's no evidence to prove Adam was involved. She says it's also pretty clear they plan to paint Rebecca as "an impulsive and reckless person who was having affairs while she was married" ... "she was arrested for shoplifting" ... "she was very obsessive about her weight and also about what she ate and that she seemed to be losing weight lately." Rother then notes that when Greer played the 9-1-1- call by XS when Max fell, you could hear Rebecca and "how distraught she was when that little boy fell."

(This is interesting to me, because Rother seems to feel, or maybe I should say she's pointing out that Rebecca's crying or wailing in the background on the 9-1-1 tape somehow bolsters, or will be used to bolster the defense's argument about RZ's "impulsive and reckless" nature.)

Rother also says the defense will be calling SDSO employees to make the point it was suicide.

So, fellow posters, I think we better buckle our seatbelts, because it seems we'll be hearing a lot of Rebecca bashing, and to add insult to injury, we'll be hearing a lot from that crack team of "death investigators" who did such a bang-up job driving hard and fast to their suicide conclusion.

I'm already ticked off and the defense isn't even at bat yet.

No surprise. We've heard (and countered) these arguments and excuses ad nauseum over the years here in this forum. I think, by now, most of us could refute them in our sleep. Overall, it's a pretty weak defense of the killer(s) and hopefully the jury will see through it. The defense never seems to comprehend that their ad hom attacks on RZ are perceived by normal people as heartless, vindictive and unnecessarily cruel. What normal person thinks a distraught person tending a severely injured on a 911 call is reckless and impulsive? Pretty much no one.

<snipped to address>

Also, if the hogtie scenario is accurate, how does that explain the toe marks in the dust on the balcony that were presumed to be Rebecca's bound ankles on tiptoe? Was this addressed by the knot expert at all? Or maybe that's coming later on closing.

We've had a bit of discussion that perhaps he had her hogtied during the assault and murder, which lasted who knows how many hours, then cut the connecting rope before moving her to the balcony and over the railing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1