04/22/2013 - waiting for rebuttal to continue

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She probably wrote the check knowing it would never be cashed. She may have taken the check with her and left it in Travis's house so it would look to LE that she was on good terms with Travis and was paying for the car she wrecked. When detective Flores was interrogating her she asked him if he knew if the check was cashed or not and it's likely she knew that it would never have been cashed.
It would be interesting to know if she had money in her account at that time that would have covered the amount on the check.

She even mentioned that she tried to contact Travis' sister about the car, and of course, she never got a reply.

Then she said she contacted the executor of Travis' estate about getting the car, and he told her to just e mail him all the information she had on any agreement between her and Travis regarding the car.

I'm not sure which bank account she wrote it on, but I know at least one of her bank accounts was overdrawn while she was on her trip. We know this because when JM was slamming her about the gas, he put up receipts of her deposits into the bank. On one of them she deposited x amount of dollars, but her balance indicated less, so this means it was in the -. (If I recall correctly ).

We know she borrowed money from the dude in the internet café place to go see Travis, as she was , according to him ,"Frantic, obsessed about getting to Travis, upset he was seeing other women". So, if she cannot even afford the trip , surely she was not making any car payments.

One of the things I found interesting in her interrogation was she said softly that the reasons she was returning to Yreka was primarily because "I was in dire straights. I was unable to hold a job, and that had never happened to me before". She went on to list getting away from Travis as the last and least reason she was leaving, but mainly it was because she was down and out financially and could not sustain herself.

How many posters are from England?

Does England have any nuts like JA, or is the USA the only one that is so graced?

We have definitely had our fair share of nuts over here but we don't have the same access to trials as you guys do.

Sadly, over here 18 years is nearly exorbitant. I've read of sentences for 8 months time for raping a 3 year old girl and murder sentences 7-10 years aren't all that uncommon either. And then there's Brian Blackwell, who brutally slaughtered his elderly parents who were threatening to stop being his personal piggy bank. He had a murder charge reduced to manslaughter on the basis of narcissistic personality disorder. He was sentenced to life in prison - which very rarely ever actually means life in prison, with the exception of a whole life tariff, which offenders under 21 can't be sentenced to.

In 2008 a new prison was built in Scotland with private in-cell showers, flatscreen tv's in cells, electronic kiosks to check daily menus, library, computer room, fitness suite, and gym. Granted, not all prisons are like that but it goes some way to express a big cultural difference.

No doubt American prisons need to be revamped. Included should be the return of the chain gang, implementation of farming by hand to grow their own food and actual work programs to get something productive out of them. Just sayin... :D

Not going to say a word about what you mention above other than it was only a matter of time before the slasher became a murderer.

Good Morning WSers!! I suppose we will start late today..:floorlaugh::floorlaugh: I wonder if JSS will have a hearing before trial re the def's new motions. I have a feeling there are gonna be some pizzed people including us if JSS allows a surrebutal and a new witness.:furious::furious:

So I read the article. Flabbergasting. Sickening really. Sorry... I'm just one of those people who speak my mind.

There is a section on this forum that highlights bullying. Online bullying - in particular. We've all read the recent accounts. They're heartbreaking. Rational adults speak against it. No one considers the slander, horrific and even threatening comments by online bullies as "free speech". I'm lost as to why that could even be a question???

Regardless of what someone things of Jodi Arias - Alyce LaViollette is a hero. She's a woman who's dedicated her life to highlighting domestic abuse. Changing the way society thinks about it. Creating programs that address the problem.

I'm a woman who was never abused. Independent, headstrong (but funny) and very self-aware.

My sister is not.

Today I live with her after a terrible incident that ended 10 years of domestic violence and abuse. The kind that would make most people's hair stand on end. She was battered, raped, degraded and broken in every way you can break a human being. She escaped one night with her kids when her husband tried to kill them all. I came - the big sister. Moved in - helped and stayed and am still helping.

We went through the court process while her (now ex) was charged, tried, convicted and sentenced. The sentence never undid the harm. It never will.

The day Alyce LaViolette took the stand I listened. 5 minutes in - I ran to get my sister. She had to hear what this woman was saying. We stayed glued to the trial during her testimony. We have her book on order at our local book store (currently sold out).

What my sister learned from that testimony was more than she learned from 4 years of reading, therapy, talking, discussing, trying to work things out in her own head and heart.

The trial part - the Jodi Arias issues - they all faded into the background.

I know there are many others out there - abused and abuser alike who heard all that and maybe, just maybe are beginning to understand abuse a bit better.

I don't know Ms Arias. I wasn't present in that bathroom. I don't know what happened. The Prosecutor doesn't either. Nor does Ms Wilmot, nor Kurt Nurmie, nor the doctors who testified, nor the friends, family, police officers. They're all just doing their best to give their insight in the course of justice.

But I do know this. Alyce is an amazing woman. SHE'S not on trial. SHE didn't kill anyone. She gave her professional opinion, in a court of law - and she is certainly entitled to do so - without expecting harm to come to her. I hope she can put the bullies behind her and I wish her all the strength.

AL does not know what happened in that "bathroom" either. AL did not speak with Travis, yet she told many many lies about him. JA is not THE/A victim in this case! The only victim here is Travis by the murdering hands of JA. Because JA "deserves a fair" trial she is allowed along with her DT to make victims of Travis' family. I do not believe a person who lies is an amazing person, I believe they are just liars.

Never got back here yesterday. Left because the neighbors were doing something making all this horrid squeaky noises. Turned out to be spreading manure. I stayed gone since the smell of that took over. So instead...I actually did other things and then later entertained myself watching River Monsters. Kind of like watching Juan reel in that big liar.

She even mentioned that she tried to contact Travis' sister about the car, and of course, she never got a reply.

Then she said she contacted the executor of Travis' estate about getting the car, and he told her to just e mail him all the information she had on any agreement between her and Travis regarding the car.

I'm not sure which bank account she wrote it on, but I know at least one of her bank accounts was overdrawn while she was on her trip. We know this because when JM was slamming her about the gas, he put up receipts of her deposits into the bank. On one of them she deposited x amount of dollars, but her balance indicated less, so this means it was in the -. (If I recall correctly ).

We know she borrowed money from the dude in the internet café place to go see Travis, as she was , according to him ,"Frantic, obsessed about getting to Travis, upset he was seeing other women". So, if she cannot even afford the trip , surely she was not making any car payments.

One of the things I found interesting in her interrogation was she said softly that the reasons she was returning to Yreka was primarily because "I was in dire straights. I was unable to hold a job, and that had never happened to me before". She went on to list getting away from Travis as the last and least reason she was leaving, but mainly it was because she was down and out financially and could not sustain herself.

I agree that finances played a big role in Jodi's anger. I think she blamed Travis for her situation. She was planning for him to "rescue" her from her previous life and she was trying to grab onto his seemingly grand lifestyle of travel, etc.

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

BIimFjkCEAIUaKv.jpg:medium

Nhic these are great. Is there a particular site you're looking at?

I prefer not to think before speaking. I like being just as surprised as everyone else at what comes out of my mouth. In here, however, I need to put myself on a shorter leash and try to behave.

No doubt American prisons need to be revamped. Included should be the return of the chain gang, implementation of farming by hand to grow their own food and actual work programs to get something productive out of them. Just sayin... :D

Not going to say a word about what you mention above other than it was only a matter of time before the slasher became a murderer.

Ditto that. Prison is supposed to be punishment. Isn't it? And certainly we should not have to pay for that.

Glorious good morning to all! What's that I smell this morning? Breakfast and... gasoline?

Morning, Sleuthy. Need that gasoline to power us up. :floorlaugh:

Sadly, over here 18 years is nearly exorbitant. I've read of sentences for 8 months time for raping a 3 year old girl and murder sentences 7-10 years aren't all that uncommon either. And then there's Brian Blackwell, who brutally slaughtered his elderly parents who were threatening to stop being his personal piggy bank. He had a murder charge reduced to manslaughter on the basis of narcissistic personality disorder. He was sentenced to life in prison - which very rarely ever actually means life in prison, with the exception of a whole life tariff, which offenders under 21 can't be sentenced to.

In 2008 a new prison was built in Scotland with private in-cell showers, flatscreen tv's in cells, electronic kiosks to check daily menus, library, computer room, fitness suite, and gym. Granted, not all prisons are like that but it goes some way to express a big cultural difference.
FAR cry from Joe's tents..lol

My guess is they are hoping it could be a compromise verdict for someone who says, "we'll, okay, self-defense but that overkill....we can't just let her walk after that degree of butchery...maybe she started off defending herself and at some point it became an impassioned attack."

Doesn't matter though. They are dreaming.

The Defense argument is something like this:

Jodi premeditated and planned to murder Travis. She staged a burglary to get the gun, made plans for a "road trip" to end up at Ryan Burns' home in Utah, brings a knife, rents a car, dyes her hair, buys and borrows gas cans, puts her license plates upside down, turns off cell phone, neglects to visit any stops on this planned vacation, deletes photos, cleans the crime scene, manipulates those around her...

To argue that she acted in self defense/battered woman AND fit of passion is downright hilarious!! She committed a "crime of passion" WITH WEAPONS SHE BROUGHT!

So they must be thinking this is a clear case of PREMEDITATED PASSION? PREMEDITATED SELF DEFENSE? SELF DEFENSE MORPHING INTO CRIME OF PASSION? HUH?:floorlaugh:

I am sooo jealous of your weather!! We can't seem to shake winter here. Yesterday was sunny and 60 but today we're back to cold (48 degrees), cloudy and rainy. Makes me want to dunk my head in a bucket of emu meat.

We are actually experiencing a "mini week of spring" (this is a quote from our weather person) we have SUN in Seattle

I rarely see this judge start her court on time so we will see. I don't know what JM smells like in the morning I can only smell my mocha coffee this morning hehe. But; if you all smell justice in the air, blow the wind my way!
I can't wait to see who else they call on rebuttal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nat Dru