17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't lack any historical perspective at all.

So okay. Let me come up with a closer analogy to grills. How about stovepipe pants that are falling off? That might be more close to grills.

(I actually do have a very clear understanding of the rebel flag, and the implications, and was there in Biloxi the day Mississippi was set to rule on whether to change the state flag. I get it.)

How about grills being analogous to fob watches or large diamond studs?

Does it make you uncomfortable that police never checked TM's phone and therefore were unaware that he was on the phone just seconds before he was shot to death by GZ?

Yes, it does. But from what I understand the family withheld permission to view the contents of the phone until LE got a court order.

I also read an article posted on this site that the girlfriend's account of the phone calls doesn't match the evidence. Whatever that means, I don't know, but I wonder if it means she in fact was not on the phone with him at the time of the physical encounter. IMO only, I don't want to go search for the link.

Some of us think it's crucial to look at TM's background to try to understand if it's likely he was actually doing something that looked suspicious, and if it's likely he threw the first punch.

I would be more comfortable with the girlfriend's account if she had spoken to LE right away, rather than much after her encounters with TM's lawyers. I would also be more comfortable with her account had she made some attempt - ANY attempt - to get help for Trayvon after hearing what would have certainly been a very upsetting encounter.

We don't have to be comfortable with what she did because clearly she was under the care of a doctor when she related her story which the doctor would have documented. As long as the story is consistent the belief is she would be telling the truth. If she is telling the truth it will obviously match up with the investigation. That is why she received a subpoena, they believe her account of what happened is correct otherwise there would be no need to call her to testify. jmo

To compare "grills", which are essentially pieces of jewelry, to the "rebel flag", which is considered by many to be a sign of hate, displays, at the very least, a lack of historical perspective. IMO

Exactly....the type of thing that WOULD be comparable to grills (a simple alteration to the teeth) would be the FLIPPERS worn by tiny little girls to alter their teeth for beauty pageants....

teeth enhancement with jewelry=teeth enhancement with fake teeth

or perhaps even teeth enhancement with jewelry=ear enhancement with jewelry

or even better teeth enhancement with jewelry to NOSE or TONGUE enhancement with jewelry

hmmmm so I guess if a teenage girl has a tongue piercing she would deserve to be shot while walking home from the store?????

jmo

How about grills being analogous to fob watches or large diamond studs?

No, I don't agree. Fob watches and large diamond studs aren't "tough". They're edgy, and very youthful, but not "tough". Nurses wear fob watches, so . .

Thanks for the link. That report doesn't prove that there was an ongoing investgation. I've seen no indication of any ongoing investgation by the SPD between 2/26 and when it hit the media. JMO

What wrong information went national?

GZ's age for one.

No, I don't agree. Fob watches and large diamond studs aren't "tough". They're edgy, and very youthful, but not "tough". Nurses wear fob watches, so . .

Agree to disagree. Status symbol, which I've taken the trouble to document.

Exactly....the type of thing that WOULD be comparable to grills (a simple alteration to the teeth) would be the FLIPPERS worn by tiny little girls to alter their teeth for beauty pageants....

teeth enhancement with jewelry=teeth enhancement with fake teeth

or perhaps even teeth enhancement with jewelry=ear enhancement with jewelry

or even better teeth enhancement with jewelry to NOSE or TONGUE enhancement with jewelry

hmmmm so I guess if a teenage girl has a tongue piercing she would deserve to be shot while walking home from the store?????

jmo

I put tongue piercings in with fob watches and diamond studs, and those awful earrings that make the ear holes huge (forget what they're called) in the same category. They're alternate culture, but they're not tough. They're just alter.

I don't know what flippers are but it sounds like they're meant to make the teeth look prettier - again I don't know. So no, not in the same category as grills that are meant to look like massive dental work.

I don't know whether not everyone knows what grills are communicating, or maybe people are just up for an argument here. Fashions communicate things. Grills communicate tough bad*** attitude. IMHO as always.

I put tongue piercings in with fob watches and diamond studs, and those awful earrings that make the ear holes huge (forget what they're called) in the same category. They're alternate culture, but they're not tough. They're just alter.

I don't know what flippers are but it sounds like they're meant to make the teeth look prettier - again I don't know. So no, not in the same category as grills that are meant to look like massive dental work.

I don't know whether not everyone knows what grills are communicating, or maybe people are just up for an argument here. Fashions communicate things. Grills communicate tough bad*** attitude. IMHO as always.

Grills communicate opulence. Maybe it's something else about the people wearing them that has folks thinking it's meant to scare.

To compare "grills", which are essentially pieces of jewelry, to the "rebel flag", which is considered by many to be a sign of hate, displays, at the very least, a lack of historical perspective. IMO

Tony, would both not be considered a type of status symbol? Just typing out loud here as our small beach town's tourist season kicks off on Easter weekend and I saw several pickups with rebel flags driving on the beach, so Jenna T's post got me thinking about things that could potentially intimidate others.

However, my former student who showed me his grill was the least intimidating kid and a good student with a great sense of humor. My impression was that he thought the grill was both funny and cool.

His character reminds me alot of Trayvon from reading this article.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Teen-obsessed-girls-jokes-ghetto-culture.html

MOO
wm

3:42 p.m. EST, March 29, 2012|By Molly Hennessy-Fiske

Q&A: Federal officials detail Trayvon Martin investigation

The death of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin has prompted closely watched investigations by local, state and federal officials.

On Thursday, The Times spoke with two federal officials – FBI Special Agent Dave Couvertier in the Tampa field office and Department of Justice spokeswoman Xochitl Hinojosa in Washington — about the federal investigation, possible findings and charges.

The Neighborhood Watch volunteer who shot Martin, George Zimmerman, has said he acted in self-defense and has not been arrested. Critics say the 17-year-old Martin was singled out because he was African American.

What is the Justice Department doing now?

Hinojosa: We have an ongoing investigation into the shooting of Trayvon Martin and it is a parallel investigation. We are providing resources to the state while we do a thorough investigation.

What is the FBI investigating?

Couvertier: The parallel investigation we’re running is specifically focused on the death of Trayvon Martin and more specifically, were there any violations of his civil rights? We are not investigating the Sanford Police Department, which has been a little confusing for folks.

more
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...tice-department-special-agent-dave-couvertier

Yes, it does. But from what I understand the family withheld permission to view the contents of the phone until LE got a court order.

I also read an article posted on this site that the girlfriend's account of the phone calls doesn't match the evidence. Whatever that means, I don't know, but I wonder if it means she in fact was not on the phone with him at the time of the physical encounter. IMO only, I don't want to go search for the link.

Respectfully BBM. I keep hearing about that, but I have yet to see an MSM link to support it. Do you have a link? TIA!

When my wife dons her diamond necklace and tennis bracelet, I get scared. Very scared.

April 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

Allen Park road sign hacked to show racial slur against Trayvon Martin
By Tom Greenwood
The Detroit News

Allen Park — The Michigan Department of Transportation is working with police to determine who hacked into a road sign and posted a racial slur along a freeway seen early Monday morning.

The portable electronic sign contained a reference to Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old African-American who died Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., after being shot by a neighborhood watch volunteer.

The Michigan State Police began receiving calls about the sign at about 1 a.m., according to Michigan Department of Transportation spokesman Rob Morosi...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120409/METRO01/204090381#ixzz1rYOiAYO9

Grills communicate opulence. Maybe it's something else about the people wearing them that has folks thinking it's meant to scare.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grill_%28jewelry%29"]Grill (jewelry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
They began to be worn by hip hop artists in the early 1980s, and upgraded during the 90's in New York City, but they became more widely popular during the mid-2000s due to the rise of Dirty South rap and the more mainstream pop culture status Hip Hop attained. Though grills are fitted to the tooth impression of the wearer, whether they are safe for long-term wear is unknown.

http://www.thugfashion.com/Group.cfm?Brand_ID=20

Opulence?
jmo

Since you don't see wall street bankers wearing them, or people on yachts, or the folks in the audience at the Kentucky Derby, or surgeons wearing them, or the children in the royal family, they don't simply communicate opulence. So yes, it's something else about the people wearing them (and I don't mean race. Certainly both white and black young men wear grills. It's not a racial thing, it's an attitude thing) that goes along with the symbol of grills that makes them a symbol of tough attitude.

Fashion is in the eye of the beholder. I never liked torn jeans, but my kids wore them. I don't like panty hose, so I don't wear them.

My husband had a boss who had a gold tooth once - what difference does it make? He works for the State of Tennessee, and they didn't care either.

My boys have always liked having their hair long, and since I love their hair I encourage it, even though some people where I live hate it. I honestly couldn't care less.

To me this discussion is trivializing a young man's death. This is the whole "omG he's wearing a scary hoodie" thing all over again.

I just don't see how this is relevant in the least about Trayvon. There's no law against changing your appearance. This is a free country last time I checked. :cow: :twocents:

Grill (jewelry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They began to be worn by hip hop artists in the early 1980s, and upgraded during the 90's in New York City, but they became more widely popular during the mid-2000s due to the rise of Dirty South rap and the more mainstream pop culture status Hip Hop attained. Though grills are fitted to the tooth impression of the wearer, whether they are safe for long-term wear is unknown.

http://www.thugfashion.com/Group.cfm?Brand_ID=20

Opulence?
jmo

Aha! Hip-hop!! The smoking gun!!!

April 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

Allen Park road sign hacked to show racial slur against Trayvon Martin
By Tom Greenwood
The Detroit News

Allen Park — The Michigan Department of Transportation is working with police to determine who hacked into a road sign and posted a racial slur along a freeway seen early Monday morning.

The portable electronic sign contained a reference to Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old African-American who died Feb. 26 in Sanford, Fla., after being shot by a neighborhood watch volunteer.

The Michigan State Police began receiving calls about the sign at about 1 a.m., according to Michigan Department of Transportation spokesman Rob Morosi...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120409/METRO01/204090381#ixzz1rYOiAYO9

OH MY! :what:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member