2009.02.20 Do you think Autopsy Photos should be released? REVISITED

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just looked at the JBR photos out of curiosity. Why? Because they're there.

I draw the line at photos like this being made public. What is the point? Those poor children don't even have dignity in death. There is no need to see them. At best, we are amateurs with sleuthing as a hobby, so we have no right to something that is so personal. The photos are taken for the sake of justice, and only those involved in bringing justice for the victim should have the privilege of seeing them. Honestly, what happened to human decency and dignity for the dead? Is nothing sacred?

I did the same thing...looked at them out of curiosity and wished I didn't. I don't want to see Caylees. I want my memories of her to be of all those cute photos I've seen of her. Now I have those awful pics of JBR in my head.

Ok...I don't even know how to explain this but I'll try. After seeing what I just saw, I hope that her autopsy photos are NOT released. Someone had mentioned looking for Melinda Duckett's autopsy photos and not being able to find them. I thought I would try to help. Bear with me....this is a bit OT but I'll get back on track....

I did a google search and found the most disgusting, depraved, perverted, gut-wrenching website that I have ever seen in my life. It was NOT related to Melinda -- I want to point that out.

Anyway, back to Caylee...this website made me realize that while WE have good intentions regarding seeing any autopsy photos, there are some truly sick people out there who use these for PLEASURE. We are sleuths...investigators who are pure in heart and genuinely want to help. We would look at the photos with an analytical mind, focusing on the smallest of details hoping to resolve a brutal and heart-breaking crime.

I just got a huge shock back into reality that not everyone is like us. I couldn't bear to have Caylee disrespected like the people I just saw...my heart is breaking for those families. So, my official vote is NO, I don't want Caylee's autopsy photos released. Even if she is "just bones" in the photos, she is still a precious little girl who deserves a lot more respect than some people in this world care to give.

MOO

No, they won't be released to the public. But I'll bet you will be able to go to the courthouse at one point (when trial is over) and view the crime scene photos on the premises (if you are so inclined). My guess...kind of like what they did for the Danny Rolling case. This was pre-Earnhart so I don't know what their plans will be. The crime scene photos will likely be treated like the other public homicide cases here. I suppose the autopsy photos won't be (I haven't read up on the Earnhart law).

I have no need to see them. I wouldn't bother me to see them but I've seen enough remains in my line of work, don't really need to see anymore. The people that I really think should see them are most of all, the jury. I also want the A's and their attorney's to see them to know just how much of a monster KC is.

I would look at them to try to get a better understanding of what happened.

I forced myself to watch every hit Jesus took during the film and I watched Nick Berg's beheading....I am not a sicko but I figure if they can GO thru it I can handle seeing it

I hope and pray I NEVER have anything happen to my child, as I would be mortified for any autopsy photos to be online! So, I hope they are not released. This is a poor little baby girl who didnt deserve to die, let alone have her autopsy photos out for the world to see.

I remeber the state and Defense stating that none of those photos will be released to the public if we do see them it will be only because the trial is Public

If I remember correctly with several cases on television, even when the photos are shown at trial and the trial is televised, the in-house court room camera will adjust the camera so that the TV Viewing public won't be able to see the photos.

Usually the camera pans up to the State Seal over the Judges head.

Yes, I can disassociate myself enough to see the photos...whether they are the bone photos laying in the wooded area or they are the photos of the autopsy, I can handle it, only because I would want to see what the jury is going to see, to know in my heart the photos will have an impact on the jury enough for Precious Caylee to get justice.

There is a site online I've been visiting for years......photos of autopsies and much worse.
I came across it looking for information on JFK for my son who was doing a major report at the time.
JFK's autopsy photos are there as are photos of other famous people in death.
I have found the site interesting when I've been caught up in the murder/suicide of a famous person.
If you are able to take your emotions out of the equation, it's a fact of life. Some people can do it, some can't. No right or wrong about it.

I would look at them to try to get a better understanding of what happened.

I forced myself to watch every hit Jesus took during the film and I watched Nick Berg's beheading....I am not a sicko but I figure if they can GO thru it I can handle seeing it

I've looked at all the pictures available from JonBenet, Black Dahlia, Darlie's son's, Jeffery Dalmers victims, and many others in an effort to comprehend the crime, the horror of the scene & somehow it makes more real and less of a news story to me.

Nick Berg's beheading was the worst thing I've ever watched in my life. It was horrifying.

i really am having a difficult time understanding the need to see autopsy photos..and it has nothing to do with being able to 'handle it'....i don't see it as anything other than morbid curiosity. why would you want to watch someone being beheaded, what's to understand that your imagination couldn't already conjure up with a written description.
you take a saw, sword, knife..something sharp and work away until the head falls off..i dont have to actually SEE a video or a photo of it, to understand it.
we all know that little kids are being molested/raped and photos/videos are made, do people need to SEE that too in order to understand how horrible it is. (insert question mark, my keyboard isn't working, ugh)

i strongly believe the victims would not want their death photos and videos all over the internet either...and if i were the mother of such a victim, i would do everything in my power to keep them from ever being released.

not bashing, just my honest opinion.

I just looked at the JBR photos out of curiosity. Why? Because they're there.

I draw the line at photos like this being made public. What is the point? Those poor children don't even have dignity in death. There is no need to see them. At best, we are amateurs with sleuthing as a hobby, so we have no right to something that is so personal. The photos are taken for the sake of justice, and only those involved in bringing justice for the victim should have the privilege of seeing them. Honestly, what happened to human decency and dignity for the dead? Is nothing sacred?

I agree with you -- there's no need for the public to see autopsy photos. I can't see any value whatsoever in that. Our viewing such photos wouldn't help at all in bringing justice to Caylee. We don't have a right to have our every curiosity satisfied.

Personally, after I read Yuri Melich's description, I had a very good visual -- the mandible was still attached to Caylee's little skull and her hair was caught up in the tape. So the tape was wrapped far enough back to (1) catch her hair and (2) hold the joint intact where mandible meets skull....and/or...the tape was strong enough to have remained adhered over her mouth, so that the jaw and skull were still intact there.

What purpose would it serve, other than to satisfy curiosity, for the general public to view autopsy photos?

I've looked at all the pictures available from JonBenet, Black Dahlia, Darlie's son's, Jeffery Dalmers victims, and many others in an effort to comprehend the crime, the horror of the scene & somehow it makes more real and less of a news story to me.

Nick Berg's beheading was the worst thing I've ever watched in my life. It was horrifying.

I agree about Nick Berg. It takes alot to make me cry but my heart broke for him and the tears did fall.

I don't think they will be released, but I think they should be.

As horrific as they are, I feel they are necessary to keep people fully aware of the foul nature of a crime like this. It is all too easy to develope sympathy for the killer in cases like these, where (often) more and more details will come to light of the factors that played a part in how they grew up to become the killers they did.

This has the effect of making the killer more and more human, while the victim becomes less and less real.

Its important for the public to see these things, for the full impact, to keep in mind what's at stake - making sure the killer is punished, to let the public know justice is served by their society, and to try and deter future crimes of this nature if at all possible.

For whatever reason, it seems a blurry but recognizable view of the remains at the crimescene *is* available. Magnifying a certain photo among those initially released of the crime scene does appear to reveal the skull (with hair and duct tape) and the partially open bag behind it; if you read the 2/18 doc description of the scene it tells you exactly where everything is.

I agree with you -- there's no need for the public to see autopsy photos. I can't see any value whatsoever in that. Our viewing such photos wouldn't help at all in bringing justice to Caylee. We don't have a right to have our every curiosity satisfied.

Personally, after I read Yuri Melich's description, I had a very good visual -- the mandible was still attached to Caylee's little skull and her hair was caught up in the tape. So the tape was wrapped far enough back to (1) catch her hair and (2) hold the joint intact where mandible meets skull....and/or...the tape was strong enough to have remained adhered over her mouth, so that the jaw and skull were still intact there.

What purpose would it serve, other than to satisfy curiosity, for the general public to view autopsy photos?

Well, although I comprehend what you wrote, I don't understand how the tape remained "adhered"? once the skin was gone? Wouldn't that provide just enough slack for it to fall? If so, then how did it hold the mandible in place?
I don't really want to see it, but I would look so that I could see how the tape was placed, and what the elements and time did to it. I wouldn't want to see it if she was just bones and no other elements. I think what Darlie did was horrible, I bought that book where she published the photos because at the time I didn't believe she was guilty and I wanted to see the blood trails, the stab wounds that police said went through to the floor (they didn't).
I now think she's guilty and one of the most vile creatures on earth. She went on to exhume her boys and have their fingertips removed because the police forgot to fingerprint them.

My problem with the site I "stumbled" upon was not really the photos. They were pretty much what you would expect....very thorough, graphic, detailed autopsy photos. My issue was with the PURPOSE of the photos. I have no problem using autopsy photos for educational, informational, forensic, etc. purposes. These were being used for pleasure, though (and, in some cases, sexual pleasure..or so they said).

The problem is, if you release photos for a legitimate purpose, once they are out there is no control over where they go. I wonder if any of the families of these victims (from that particular website) even known that the photos are on that site. Much less that some sick perverts are using them to...well, you know. And those that aren't using them for that are using them for entertainment.

I guess I am naive. It just never crossed my mind that people would do or say the things I saw today. Well, I knew those people existed, but I had no idea how many there were or that there is a forum for their perversion.

Once again, I'm babbling. I did that earlier on another post. I can't seem to make coherent thoughts today.:crazy:

:furious:The thought of seeing the autopsy photos of a crime victim is disturbing, this child has already been deprived of so much must we take her diginity also......ugh!

Well, although I comprehend what you wrote, I don't understand how the tape remained "adhered"? once the skin was gone? Wouldn't that provide just enough slack for it to fall? If so, then how did it hold the mandible in place?
I don't really want to see it, but I would look so that I could see how the tape was placed, and what the elements and time did to it. I wouldn't want to see it if she was just bones and no other elements. I think what Darlie did was horrible, I bought that book where she published the photos because at the time I didn't believe she was guilty and I wanted to see the blood trails, the stab wounds that police said went through to the floor (they didn't).
I now think she's guilty and one of the most vile creatures on earth. She went on to exhume her boys and have their fingertips removed because the police forgot to fingerprint them.

That's a good point about the tissue deterioration. It could be that as the tissue slowly disintegrated, the tape would fall back against whatever was behind it (bone) and adhere?

Of course, I really have no idea -- that's just the visual I had after reading Yuri's comments, and that's enough for me for now. This will all be very well explained at trial, and I can wait to hear an expert explain it rather than try to figure out all the details myself.

That's awful about the case you mentioned! I am vaguely familiar with it (I remember the silly string, gum smacking thing at her sons' grave site). Had no idea she'd had their little bodies exhumed like that. How sad!

does anyone know if this is something that will be released? I would like to get a better visual understanding of the duct tape on the mouth and the hair.

Do you think they should be released? Jbr's photos were very helpful, but of course there was much more to see on those pictures relative to her case.

Do you think the photos should be released if they are available?

No way!!!!!!! I wouldn't look at them if they were...it was sad/sickening enough to see the single piece of tape with the sticker.IMO, only the jury will see them.
Thats why they got the secure database so that the pics would not get out to the public. Mostly out of respect to Caylee and her family.

Does anyone know if this is something that will be released? I would like to get a better visual understanding of the duct tape on the mouth and the hair.

Do you think they should be released? JBR's photos were very helpful, but of course there was much more to see on those pictures relative to her case.

Do you think the photos should be released if they are available?

Under the Florida Law's I don't believe they are allowed to be released - something to do with Dale Earnhart's photos - can't remember the name of the law at the moment.

From: http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/02/09/smith.pictures/index.html

"In 2001, Florida passed a law, known as the Earnhardt Family Protection Act. The bill, named for NASCAR legend Dale Earnhardt, made autopsy photographs, video and audio recordings confidential. Violators could be charged with a third degree felony that could be punishable by jail time and up to a $5,000 fine."

OMG!! I've never seen those and wish I hadn't. If somone did that to my child I'm sorry it would be worth spending the rest of my life in jail to get even with that person. NO, I don't think anyone's autopsy photos should be made public.

Bit tricky if they are dead ;) and it was you...(as in the Mummy) ;)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeCoffeeMa
Back