2009.02.20 Do you think Autopsy Photos should be released? REVISITED

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My feelings exactly regarding the photos, but as Reagan said, I would like to have a sketch of the skull/hair showing the size and placement of the duct tape and also the "heart shape" glue remnants if any. I'd also "like" access to the full written autopsy report.

Rightly or wrongly, the sketch and written report don't seem to me to be such an awful invasion of little Caylee's dignity or privacy. Photographs do seem that to me. Furthermore, although I harbor great contempt for the A's, I don't think they, or any grandparents, should have to endure the awfullness of seeing photos of their little one's skeleton whenever they turn on a television or log onto a computer. The very thought of that makes me feel like wretching. If, however, I thought for a moment that any of us, anywhere, could discover something to aid in convicting Caylee's murderous mother, I'd grit my teeth and say, "Release those photos!"

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Friday, but I'd like to see one special use of the photo's.

I really think the photos should be released is to a wall paper manufacturer to make wall paper for KC's cell. Although I'm sure it would be labeled "cruel and unusual" by the do-gooders of the world, I can think of no better place for the pics than to be a constant reminder to KC of what she did to that precious baby. Whether it drives her "over the edge" or ellicits the truth from her, either is fine with me. Also, pipe in Caylee singing "You are my sunshine" 24/7 and pipe in the scent of decomp and it would be complete!

The release of autopsy reports with or without pictures is the start to bring the focus back to a child who was not given a chance to thrive while alive but Caylee prevailed in the fact that life was literally comming out of her to help in finding why she was layed there and by who. Acknowleging this in a court of law brings this case front and center back to Caylee. The fall out from public opinion may be negative but thats the way it goes in a murder trial. You must wade through all the unpleasantness a murder of a child produces to get to the truths that are trying to be buried surrounding the actual murderer. I say stick to the Sunshine Law of the land till laws are changed and if bothered by the statements and photos of Caylee's earthly body just avoid that part of discovery would be my choice if I felt it would be upsetting personally. This train of authoritve findings is beginning to pic up speed that has defense scrambling with all these delays.

I do not care to see the actual autopsy photos, but I would like a better idea of the placement of the duct tape. I would like to see some sort of sketch, because the details provided in discovery are rather confusing to me.

I posted on another thread-I wonder if they could make a cast of Caylee's little skull and re-create a life like image to show the placement of the tape. I've seen programs on tv where they have done this to try to identify John and Jane Does. I'm sure the defense would highly object-but, that would be powerful for the jury to see-if possible! IMO

Ummm, guys, HEY! :wave:....the photo's won't/can't be released, whoever let the photo's out would face criminal charges...

From: http://www.cnn.com/2007/LAW/02/09/sm...res/index.html

"In 2001, Florida passed a law, known as the Earnhardt Family Protection Act. The bill, named for NASCAR legend Dale Earnhardt, made autopsy photographs, video and audio recordings confidential. Violators could be charged with a third degree felony that could be punishable by jail time and up to a $5,000 fine."

Thanks to Gypsy Rose for the link :)

No, I don't think autopsy photo's should normally be released.

Thanks,
Queenofwands

I think there is some confusion on autopsy photos vs photos of a dead victim.

The pictures of JBR are not autopsy photos, they are photos of a dead JBR.
Very graphic as you can see the discoloration and indentations on her neck from the rope but they are not autopsy photos. Same as the pics of Nikki Catsouras, not autopsy photos, they are dead victim photos.

If I remember correctly, the skull photo was a replication of her skull with injury, not her actual skull itself. (bodies are not decapitated at autopsy)

There will be no autopsy photos of Caylee, there were only bones recovered.

Ummm, guys, HEY! :wave:....the photo's won't/can't be released, whoever let the photo's out would face criminal charges...

"In 2001, Florida passed a law, known as the Earnhardt Family Protection Act. The bill, named for NASCAR legend Dale Earnhardt, made autopsy photographs, video and audio recordings confidential. Violators could be charged with a third degree felony that could be punishable by jail time and up to a $5,000 fine."

Thanks, I think the family can release them if they want to (ugh), and media can still ask for them given they have a good reason.
IIRC, the EFPA allows for photos to be released to entities if they have a compeling reason for the courts to consider. Because of the Act, the Orlando Sentinel was forced to show why they needed the pictures of DE#3, and their argument did not hold.
In this case, there is a crime. But I don't think the media should argue for the pictures anyway. What could the public glean from pictures of bones?

The autopsy report is another story, I think the media will want them, but the judge may seal.

I'm with you Jayla, I only want to read the autopsy report.

I do not want to see Caylee's skeletal remains. I want to remember her the way she was in her photographs and her videos

:twocents:

I learned my lesson about viewing such things when I saw part of the Nick Berg video. I'll NEVER look again. The video of that gruesome, horrible, twisted death will never leave me. I have nightmares to this day. I'll never view any photo of that type again. I can only imagine what his family things about it being all over the internet. It is the most horrible thing I've ever witnessed, and it will stay with me forever.

I never want to see the autopsy photos of Caylee Anthony. She is a precious little baby girl, and that's how I want to remember her.

Thank You! I was reading through the thread wondering why there's even a question about the autopsy photos being released and hoping someone had cited this law. :)

I think to understand all aspects of the case thoroughly they should be available, but I also understand why the Anthonys will fight this tooth and nail. I think none of us would want our child's or grandchild's autopsy photos available for perusal, yet many of us would look at others'. I include myself in the group also.

So basically I am of two minds on this. I think it should be on a case by case basis, subject to the Court's discretion. That doesn't seem really fair either, but c'est la vie.

I would have liked to see the photos of the remains in the woods so that I could get a better idea of how the duct tape was in place at the time the remains were found. Not because I want to look at it for some kind of sick, morbid thrill. Or even if there could be a drawing indicating the tape placement, that would help. I guess it doesn't matter since I'm not on the jury and am not involved in the case in any way, but I would like to understand how the tape was in place because the DT will try to make it sound as if it could have shifted.

Originally Posted by lisalei321 View Post
Ummm, guys, HEY! ....the photo's won't/can't be released, whoever let the photo's out would face criminal charges...

Thanks to Gypsy Rose for the link

Reposted from someone's else's post - it's a mute point. The law prohibits it - period.

I would have liked to see the photos of the remains in the woods so that I could get a better idea of how the duct tape was in place at the time the remains were found. Not because I want to look at it for some kind of sick, morbid thrill. Or even if there could be a drawing indicating the tape placement, that would help. I guess it doesn't matter since I'm not on the jury and am not involved in the case in any way, but I would like to understand how the tape was in place because the DT will try to make it sound as if it could have shifted.

Same. I don't need to see the actual photos, but a re-enactment on maybe a doll or an apple, of where the tape was, would be very helpful.

Originally Posted by lisalei321 View Post
Ummm, guys, HEY! ....the photo's won't/can't be released, whoever let the photo's out would face criminal charges...

Thanks to Gypsy Rose for the link

Reposted from someone's else's post - it's a mute point. The law prohibits it - period.
I don't think it is a crime to discuss LOL. ;)

I have no desire to see pictures of a dead child or the remains thereof. I am thankful that there are some things still considered sacred/ taboo in our society. MOO

Once, I was waiting in line at the grocery store, and I noticed a tabloid magazine with the disclaimer, 'Not for the weak or squeamish', or some such bunk. Well, being curious, I opened it up, and there were graphic pictures of Nicole Brown Simpson, laying dead on the sidewalk, with her throat cut. I slammed it shut and swore I would never look at any kind of death pictures again. What an invasion of privacy! I'll never forget how gruesome those pictures were and how every time I shut my eyes and tried to go to sleep that night, those images were what I saw. There are some things, that we just have no business seeing...and that goes for autopsy photos too. just my opinion of course, but it just seems wrong.

Yes, I think the autopsy and skeletal remains photos should be shown. Those who do not wish to see them, have the option not to look at them. There have been hours of testimony about these remains and the duct tape, and it is very difficult to try to imagine what they are describing. The skull is actually visible in one of the first photos taken by OCSO, but it is difficult to see if you don't know what you are looking at.

Attachments

• 195831-1.jpg
    195831-1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 270
If I were on the jury I would want to see how the tape was on the skull. Other than that, no, I don't want to see Caylee's remains.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back