2009.04.13 State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Statistics on Executed inmates in Florida*
*Refers to inmates executed after the death penalty was reinstated in Florida, beginning with John Spenkelink’s execution in May 1979.
12.31 years is the average length of stay on Death Row prior to execution.
13.94 years is the average number of years between offense and execution.
44.35 years is the average age at time of execution.
30.40 years is the average age at offense for executed inmates.

In kc's case, with her parents advocating for her, it may speed the process up.

No buttons to quote...? I don't understand...it took me forever to be able to post here after reading these boards for a good 5 years. Now, I can't even start a thread because it won't allow me.

Anyway, who had the thought to murder the child...?

LOL....it was a feeling for kc not a thought process.

I am now of the thinking that the fact that the DP being bought back to the table and complaints against JB coincide, might mean that LE are sick of the whole "JB and the 3 musketeers (the Anthonys) show" and wanted to get rid of JB off the case and deal with professionals? - surely that could backfire on them cause they may get (as put so well by someone) another "if the thong don't fit you must acquit!" hardball DA as opposed to the clown they have been dealing with thus far?

Simple as it sounds but could it be they decided to go for the DP because they don't want her to ever get out because they believe she is dangerous? When I think of parents who kill their children, I think of it as usually being an act of rage, but with remorse later, but KC has certainly not displayed any remorse so perhaps the SA feels she is a danger to others in the future.

LOL....it was a feeling for kc not a thought process.

Right...right...she's a psychopath who operates off of impulse. But she did put a lot of thought into it, no? She thought up Zanny...she thought where to place the body...she thought to stick a heart on the baby's mouth...she thought to tell a bunch of lies and let's not forget how much she thinks about herself...lol

I agree that they are thinking along those lines, but it does change the playing field monumentally. KC will be sitting in that courtroom knowing that the state wants to kill her. That they believe she doesn't deserve to live. I've always had the feeling that she has been playing the seem-vulnerable-but-I'm-so-much-smarter-than-you role, but this will simply rock her to the core.
I'm not in favor of the DP, couldn't be on a DP jury, and I agree with you that the likelihood of her ever being executed is slim to none. But I would like for her to have to live as a DWW, even if they eventually commute the sentence.

Looking at that website, it seems Florida is lenient on women when it comes to the death penalty. The info on the website showed 16 women have been sentenced to the DP since 1926. 13 have had their sentences commuted to life, overturned and resentced to life, or vacated. 2 have been executed and 1 is currently still on death row. Only one of these was convicted and sentenced to death for killing their own child, Ana Marie Cardona, which is mentioned above. Her sentence to death is listed as being vacated, then she was released, but I don't know what vacated means legally. Looking at these stats, I imagine Casey and her legal team are thinking her odds of getting out of a death sentence are pretty good.

This is pretty typical for most states. Women just don't get the DP or executed that often. It's quite a merry chase to wade through all the appeals and find out what exactly happened to their cases and why. I did some cursory examinations, but I didn't spend too much time on it.

I don't recall what happened in this case, but IIRC sometimes cases can be vacated when the person still has some appeals left and they die before being executed.

One of the lawyers today on HLN said he believed that the DP being put back up was in part political.The atts. said tonight, they had enough to go forward with the DP the whole time, simply because of Florida Law, and the age of the victim...that is why a few attorneys from Florida believe that this is either political, or an attempt to get a plea deal...or even maybe a combo of both.

I am glad the SA's office released this today...it gives the Anthonys something to talk about on Oprah....:saythat:

I do not believe that the SA's office decided to bring the death penalty back to the table just to try and elicit a plea deal with KC.

I firmly believe that they have much more evidence than any of us can imagine that will help to ensure a guilty verdict against her.

The toxicology reports have probably only recently been completed; not to mention the soil testing. I am sure that the testing that was done on the insect evidence (maggots and larvae) probably played a large role in their decision making process as well.

It was noted in earlier document dumps that there were no fingerprints found of GA, CA nor LA on the duct tape. However, what was remarkable to me was that absolutely NO mention at all was made as to whether or not KC's fingerprints were found on that duct tape.

Sometimes what isn't mentioned is just as pertinent, if not more so, as what is mentioned.

Pam Bondi, a Florida State's Attorney, was on HLN this afternoon and stated that the SA's office must discuss with the State Attorney General any decision to bring forth a death penalty case prior to doing so.

The Attorney General is the one who would be handling any future appeals, so their input is vital to the SA's decision as to whether or not seeking the death penalty would/should/could be a viable option.

Originally Posted by affinity:

Yeah...I don't feel like celebrating at all. But I GUESS I can understand how everyone feels. I know she deserves it...and since time immortal people have loved a good beheading in the square. I guess there were always really big turnouts at the Tower of London. Makes me feel sadder than gladder personally. In my heart I don't believe in the DP....but the law is the law.

Posted by BeanE in response to above post:

I don't think what you're seeing in this thread is really a cry for blood, but a cry for justice for Caylee, whose family does not cry out for it for her.

Afffinity:

I understand how you feel. Personally, I am usually against the DP too. I have to admit, though, that I am glad to see this.

I may feel differently if it actually comes down to her being executed. Perhaps by then my conflicting thoughts/beliefs/emotions concerning the execution of another human being will surface.

I feel a kind of relief that thay are seeking the DP. I think it's partly because, to me, it means they have evidence that will leave absolutely no doubt in my, or anyone's elses mind, that KC did this and did it deliberately. (I haven't been convinced about the premeditated and/or deliberate part). If she is going to get the DP, or even LWOP, I don't want to have any nagging doubts. (A selfish reason perhaps to be relieved - just being honest though.)

Another reason I feel good about the SA doing this, and I think this is true for many here, is her complete lack of concern for what happened to little Caylee. I mean, 31 days for God's sake! People cannot get past that, including me.

Finally, and this may be why you see people "celebrating." Through this whole thing, she has expected people to believe her ridiculous stories. She has maintained her "innocence" and refused to tell us what happened to her daughter. She refused a plea bargain and has plead "not guilty." She has shown no emotion concerning the death of her daughter and only freaked out and got upset when she realized she was caught. It just goes in the face of all our values, the importance of children, family, motherhood (the list could go on.)

I said finally before, but I really mean it this time-lol . . .

I really think people would feel differently toward KC if she had plead guilty, thrown herself on the mercy of the court. Instead, she's shown no remorse.

So, while I'm usually against the DP, unless it's for a mass murderer, serial killer, a Manson-family-unusually-heinous-type-of-crime, KC has made what she did heinous by:

1- Her lack of remorse and compete refusal to admit she did anything wrong, nevermind for killing Caylee. She's not been sorry for anything she's done. Not the stealing, the lying, what she's put her friends and family through.

2- She has gone against, I would say defiled is not too strong a word here, the thing most of us hold dearest. That is, the responsibility of a mother to her innocent child. How? By her partying and basically celebrating after little Caylee was gone. Not saying anything for 31 days and thinking she didn't have to answer for her child's whereabouts. She seems to think she does have to explain, and is not responsible, for what happened to her daughter. It's like it goes against nature somehow! Even most animals, all mammals I believe, take care of their children. Species would not survive if they didn't. The human species would not survive if parents (fathers too :) ) did not care for, and ensure the safety of, their children.

All this, her attitude toward her crime, are just a huge slap in people's faces and they can not get past it, me included.

P.S. An additional factor is that everyone can see that she got plenty of help from her parents. It's not like she was some struggling young mother with no financial help or no one to babysit while she got a break.

She's really added insult to injury, so to speak.

Another soapbox guys, sorry -- :)

According to the talking heads, it is better for a conviction, in general to have a jury that would be willing to vote for the death penalty, according to the theory is also, that a jury that would be willing to vote for the death penalty would 'weed' out liberals that would possibly be more 'forgiving' because of Casey's age, and out of sympathy for the parents.

Personally DP isn't good enough for her because it takes to long to be executed but either way i hope she rots!

I think what would impact KC even more than the fear of impending execution is the dehumanization of death row inmates. Death Row is a completely different type of prison experience. You can get a little idea of what the daily life of a death row inmate is like at this link: http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/

DR inmates are Dead Men Walking, or in this case (Dead Woman Walking). There's no attempt to socialize these inmates, they're considered "temporary" residents of the prison. They are treated differently, they don't matter anymore because they are condemned,the lowest of the low, forgotten. I always thought it would be hard on SP, considering his PD, but I really think KC would completely lose her mind under those conditions.
Thanks for the interesting link, this is the link to the women in FL that have been sentenced to death. Most of them were resentenced to life in prison, this is a little concerning.
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/women.html

One of the lawyers today on HLN said he believed that the DP being put back up was in part political.The atts. said tonight, they had enough to go forward with the DP the whole time, simply because of Florida Law, and the age of the victim...that is why a few attorneys from Florida believe that this is either political, or an attempt to get a plea deal...or even maybe a combo of both.

Maybe I am naive, but I don't believe those talking heads when they say the state attorney is doing this for only political reasons. The SA took the death penalty off the table before Caylee was found. Now they have much more evidence since the body was found, so they think this crime deserves the DP and they can prove it.

After todays news I wonder if KC needed a seditive and if she sleeps tonight?

Didn't they put to death that woman that was the serial killer down there really fast? It didn't seem like she was on death row that many years

Otis Toole who killed Adam Walsh died of liver failure while on death row. Ted Bundy did get excuted sooner but it was still about 9 years after his conviction and he had a much higher body count. All the people on death row currently in Florida are on death row for murder, so I think we should prepare ourselves that it could be sometime before KC gets what she deserves!

Only one of these was convicted and sentenced to death for killing their own child, Ana Marie Cardona, which is mentioned above. Her sentence to death is listed as being vacated, then she was released, but I don't know what vacated means legally.
(respectfully snipped)

I was curious about this too, so I Googled and found this-> http://caselaw.findlaw.com/data2/floridastatecases/7_2002/sc00-1366.pdf

My take, after a quick read, is that Cordona won an appeal based on the fact that the Prosecution's primary witness had made previous statements to LE that contradicted her testimony at Cordona's trial, but those statements were not given to the Defense. Further, the State's witness was a party to the abuse and death of Cordona's son, but agreed to testify against Cordona as part of a plea deal. Had the Defense known about the contradictory statements, they could have used that to argue against the credibility of the witness which could possibly have changed the outcome of the trial.

The death row disparity in terms of women is there in every state. The thing is, it only takes one case to set a precedent, and in Florida, there have been two. KC wouldn't be the first to be executed and really, that's all it takes. I don't believe her infamy will hold her in good stead, in the long run. Or the short run, for that matter.

I've been a death-qualified juror in Florida, and despite supporting the DP, in my trial I voted for life. I can see past my anger and disbelief and still look at things objectively. I weighed mitigating factors for a long time during deliberations.

In this case, I would vote death and do it with confidence. I believe I'm a fairly rational person and goodness knows I didn't make my decision lightly. Information is power, though, and I know more about this case than I ever knew about the man I helped sentence to LWOP.

There's so much in this case that frustrates me, angers me, or sickens me, but despite participating in the searches, speaking with the Anthonys, listening to Rev. Grund pray, and following this case very day for almost ten months, I've never stopped looking for mitigating factors or let my anger overcome my natural 'But-what-if-ness?"

I only wish I lived in Orange County. I used to live there. Moving back to Pinellas put me out of KC range and I'm sure they'll call me for jury duty again soon. With my luck it'll be another two week civil trial.

I don't believe this is the SA's attempt to get a plea. I believe we'll be hearing something big and new any day now (if it isn't the DNA-on-the-shoes rumor, in which case we already have it) and it'll sink her for good. I think Florida has the evidence and the confidence to go forward and put it on the table. Florida doesn't shy away from seeking the DP and I don't think it's a ploy. I mean, sure, they might be open to entertaining a LWOP deal, but I don't think KC will bite.

KC won't get out of prison, ever. It's just a matter of determining if she'll die because of the needle or from ODing on Cheetos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela