2009.04.13 State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possibly, but imo... I see her getting the Dahmer treatment.

I don't know. In truth, I would hope that she'd be so scared she'd have NO life, but inside, women don't kill the way men do. I believe there will be episodes and she might get the chit beat out of her a time or three, but eventually I think it'll all sort of wear off. On the other hand, who knows? Maybe this case will so inflame other inmates that somebody will just do the deed! If they do, I won't lose one wink of sleep over it.

I just think she'll form some kind of life in there, regardless of death row, gen pop, or protective custody.

I feel for you as citizens having to pay taxes to support an oxygen thief.

Perhaps an international fund raiser?

I'd happily donate so long as it went towards funding a miserable life for her.

Or, perhaps the state could have Pay to View Cell-Cam to offset costs?
I'm sure the A's are intrigued by your money-making ideas!

OT-sorry

Remember that news cam that was across the street from the Anthony home? An appropriate sentence would be LWOP with a camera linked to the internet! :pcguru:

...I don't believe this is the SA's attempt to get a plea. I believe we'll be hearing something big and new any day now (if it isn't the DNA-on-the-shoes rumor, in which case we already have it) and it'll sink her for good. I think Florida has the evidence and the confidence to go forward and put it on the table. Florida doesn't shy away from seeking the DP and I don't think it's a ploy. I mean, sure, they might be open to entertaining a LWOP deal, but I don't think KC will bite.

KC won't get out of prison, ever. It's just a matter of determining if she'll die because of the needle or from ODing on Cheetos.
~ snipped, bolded, and color added ~

I'm sure CA will reveal on the Oprah show that the "perfect 10" imagiNanny wore the same size shoes as KC. --- Zanny the Nanny wore those shoes when she killed the baby then planted the evidence to frame KC. --- See how easy that was to explain? (That's how things roll in AnthonyLand.)

Remember that news cam that was across the street from the Anthony home? An appropriate sentence would be LWOP with a camera linked to the internet! :pcguru:

It could be interactive!

:idea: Ctrl-Poke to poke her with a sharp stick

:poke:

Didn't they put to death that woman that was the serial killer down there really fast? It didn't seem like she was on death row that many years

http://www.infoplease.com/biography/var/aileenwuornos.html

..yes, it was just 9 years from her trial in 1993, to being put to death in 2002.

..as other posters have stated in this thread------i'm also very elated that the DP is back on the table in this case--(-her defense of course had to have told KC about it)--------how on earth will she sleep at night now ?

..although, she DOES get to sleep a bit i guess, unlike caylee, who had her last sleep on this earth, just short of her 3rd birthday. ( and, perhaps, while duct-taped, in the trunk of the car ?)

..yep..the Death Penalty is there for a case such as this.

Regarding the cost of DP vs. LWOP;

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/DP.html#D.Cost

THE COST OF LIFE WITHOUT PAROLE VS THE DEATH PENALTY

Many opponents present, as fact, that the cost of the death penalty is so expensive (at least $2 million per case?), that we must choose life without parole ("LWOP") at a cost of $1 million for 50 years. Predictably, these pronouncements may be entirely false. JFA estimates that LWOP cases will cost $1.2 million - $3.6 million more than equivalent death penalty cases.

Cost of Life Without Parole: Cases
Equivalent To Death Penalty Cases

1. $34,200/year (1) for 50 years (2), at = $3.01 million
a 2% (3) annual cost increase, plus
$75,000 (4) for trial & appeals
2. Same, except 3% (3) = $4.04 million
3. Same, except 4% (3) = $5.53 million

Cost of Death Penalty Cases

1.$60,000/year (1) for 6 years (5), at
a 2% (3) annual cost increase, plus
$1.5 million (4) for trial & appeals = $1.88 million
2. Same, except 3% (3) = $1.89 million
3. Same, except 4% (3) = $1.91 million

There is no question that the up front costs of the death penalty are significantly higher than for equivalent LWOP cases. There also appears to be no question that, over time, equivalent LWOP cases are much more expensive - from $1.2 to $3.6 million - than death penalty cases. Opponents ludicrously claim that the death penalty costs, over time, 3-10 times more than LWOP.

SAO had a lot to consider when deciding whether or not to seek the death penalty. For instance, a major reason that prosecutors choose to seek the DP is to bring about closure and a sense of reckoning for the victim's family ... but in this case the victim's family is also the family of the accused ... and they would certainly NOT be helped, in any way (at least as they see it), if KC were sentenced to die. Another consideration is the expense of a DP case. There are multiple phases of a DP trial and sentence. The first phase includes state trial court (two trials - one to determine guilt, the other for sentence), state Supreme Court, and possible appeals to the U.S. Supreme Court. The second phase is the state habeas corpus (post-conviction process) and appeals. The final phase is federal habeas corpus, which includes appeals to the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals and to the U.S. Supreme Court. Yet another consideration is the jury ... not only must they seat an impartial jury but one that is also "death qualified." Also a jury that would not be averse to sentencing an attractive young woman to death. Not to mention that now that the DP is being sought KC will have a more experienced lawyer at the helm!

That they weighed these considerations, among others, and decided to seek the death penalty tells me that there is much more to this story than we currently know. True, they could have done this sooner ... I personally believe that they had enough when she was indicted. I, in no way, believe that this is a ploy to provoke a plea deal. They know KC pretty well by now ... she has more hubris than anyone I have ever known, read about, heard tell of, etc. I don't for a minute think that she will even consider a deal. Plus, to bluff is just too big of a gamble ... I listed several considerations above, but there are so many more! If the State were not completely confident that they could deliver, they wouldn't even take a chance.

I tell ya, this is gonna be one for the books!!

Florida

Florida Spends Millions Extra per Year on Death Penalty

Florida would save $51 million each year by punishing all first-degree murderers with life in prison without parole, according to estimates by the Palm Beach Post. Based on the 44 executions Florida has carried out since 1976, that amounts to an approximate cost of $24 million for each execution. This finding takes into account the relatively few inmates who are actually executed, as well as the time and effort expended on capital defendants who are tried but convicted of a lesser murder charge, and those whose death sentences are overturned on appeal. ("The High Price of Killing Killers," Palm Beach Post, January 4, 2000)
Florida Spent Average of $3.2 Million per Execution from 1973 to 1988

During that time period, Florida spent an estimated $57 million on the death penalty to achieve 18 executions. ("Bottom Line: Life in Prison One-Sixth as Expensive," Miami Herald, July 10, 1988)

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

~ snipped, bolded, and color added ~

I'm sure CA will reveal on the Oprah show that the "perfect 10" imagiNanny wore the same size shoes as KC. --- Zanny the Nanny wore those shoes when she killed the baby then planted the evidence to frame KC. --- See how easy that was to explain? (That's how things roll in AnthonyLand.)

Thankfully KC wears a size 5 which is ridiculously rare for someone that age to wear. Due to her rare foot size, there is no way they could say someone was borrowing her shoes and have anyone believe it. Could you imagine them trying to say JG wore them, HA!

There's lots of information out there regarding the expense of LWOP versus DP. Most of the info cited in this thread so far has been from years 1994 and ealier. And data can be manipulated to support whichever side of the issue you come down on. I would be interested in seeing recent data because I find it interesting. However, the cost to me as a taxpayer does not change my belief in the death penalty.

JB, There is a huge debate in Florida about the cost of the DP vs LWOP. I posted an artilce upthread (maybe it's in the first thread). There has never been an offical study looking at the cost of the DP here in Fla. Here's the link incase you missed it: http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090208/ARTICLE/902080352?Title=Can-we-afford-death-penalty-
Thanks GR. I do not know anything about the cost comparison in FL. I only know here in Cali, the appeals process is automatic and endless, so that not only do we pay for the inmates for 20 years or more, but we pay for all those appellate lawyers and we waste millions and millions of dollars on the dp here each year.
It all comes down to the appeals process for each state. if they kill them fast it's cheap. I think that's the way they do it in Texas LOL.

There's lots of information out there regarding the expense of LWOP versus DP. Most of the info cited in this thread so far has been from years 1994 and ealier. And data can be manipulated to support whichever side of the issue you come down on. I would be interested in seeing recent data because I find it interesting. However, the cost to me as a taxpayer does not change my belief in the death penalty.
You are right and we could trade links all day.
I do not support the death penalty and the fact that our system here is CA is so broken, I would love to see it done away with here. I don;t think anyone in my state argues that it is working properly or is cost effective. We don't execute anyone anyway, but we spend a ton of money not killing them.

Thanks GR. I do not know anything about the cost comparison in FL. I only know here in Cali, the appeals process is automatic and endless, so that not only do we pay for the inmates for 20 years or more, but we pay for all those appellate lawyers and we waste millions and millions of dollars on the dp here each year.
It all comes down to the appeals process for each state. if they kill them fast it's cheap. I think that's the way they do it in Texas LOL.

My bold.
Maybe that's why I just stated I don't mind the expense as a taxpayer in my state. It's cheaper! Just checked and in Texas the average time on death row prior to execution is 10.26 years. Not too shabby.

It's the same here in Fla, JB. We pay for appeal after appeal after appeal.

From the article:
"Florida has never had an official study looking at the cost of the death penalty. The most widely quoted cost analysis is a 2000 report in The Palm Beach Post that concluded the state spends $24 million to execute each person because of appeals that stretch an average of 12 years.

In the alternative, it costs the state $72 per day to house an inmate on a life sentence, or about $1.3 million over 50 years, the paper found.

There are currently 392 inmates on death row in Florida, which has executed an average of 2.6 people per year in the last few decades."

Questions/Comments I Have Regarding the Following Article;

Does anyone know and could explain to me how putting the DP back on the table may be a sign of a potential weakness in the case?
and...
What if Jarvis is wrong? What if this is exactly what KC is being told by her legal counsel and based upon that she refuses any/all plea offers by the State but in the end their wrong and the jury actually does impose with the DP? Although it hasn't been the "typical," I happen to think that a jury will go with a DP in this case. Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I think people are fed up with these cases of children being killed at the hands of their caretakers. Not that this would make it any more right in my opinion, but this isn't even a situation where the discipline got out of control (i.e,spanking) and resulted in the death of a child, which could likely effect juror's decisions. Any thoughts? TIA!

(Bold by Me)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-casey-anthony_tab_14apr14,0,5647983.story

Terence Lenamon, a Miami attorney who was once part of Anthony's defense team, gave prosecutors a report in November outlining why the mother should not receive the death penalty.

"I'm greatly disappointed the State Attorney's office has decided to take this route," he said Monday.

Lenamon said this may be a sign that there is a potential weakness in the state's case. Prosecutors may want "death-qualified jurors"—jurors who are willing to sentence someone to death. Those jurors are more apt to convict defendants, he said.

Robert Jarvis, who teaches legal ethics and law and popular culture at Nova Southeastern University in Ft. Lauderdale, said prosecutors may have put the death penalty back on the table out of frustration, possibly because Anthony, 23, isn't accepting a plea in the high-profile case.

But Jarvis said if Anthony is convicted, a jury will likely not sentence her to death.

"Juries find it very difficult to send young women to Death Row," he said.

You are right and we could trade links all day.
I do not support the death penalty and the fact that our system here is CA is so broken, I would love to see it done away with here. I don;t think anyone in my state argues that it is working properly or is cost effective. We don't execute anyone anyway, but we spend a ton of money not killing them.

If it doesn't cause deterrence to heinous crimes than I agree, fix it. But easier said than done. I believe our country as a whole has a higher violent crime rate than most (if not all) industrialized countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand