• YES

Votes: 481 90.2%
  • NO

Votes: 52 9.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
If KC receives the death penalty here's a video of where she will be living http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/vtour/deathrow.html

and a look at what her days will consist of on death row...http://swartzlenamon.com/deathpenaltyblog/what-it’s-really-like-on-florida’s-death-row#more-106

What It’s Really Like on Florida’s Death Row

There are really two death rows in Florida: one for the men, located at the Florida State Prison and Correctional Institution in Raiford, and a separate facility for the women at the Broward Correctional Facility in Fort Lauderdale. As of today’s date, there was one woman on Florida’s Death Row and 391 men.

(Who is the only woman on Florida’s Death Row? Tiffany Cole, a 27 year old female who was convicted of the kidnapping and murder of a retired Florida couple and sentenced to death for the killing of each victim (receiving two death penalty sentences).)

The Florida Department of Corrections actually provides a virtual tour of a Death Row prison cell, so you can see the tiny area in which these prisoners reside. Measuring 6’ (width) x 9’(depth) x 9.5’ (height), these cells are where those sentenced to death live – by themselves, they do not share a cell – until it is time for their death sentence to be carried out. Then, they are moved to the Death Watch cell, which is close to the execution site. The Death Watch cell is slightly larger than the Death Row cell.

Those individuals living on Death Row get three meals a day. Breakfast is at 5 a.m., dinner is over by 4:30 p.m. Lunch is somewhere around noon. They can only use spoons to eat their food, which is served to them on cafeteria trays. The food is prepared at the prison cafeteria.

A prisoner facing execution does get a last meal. However, it cannot cost over $40.00 and the food has to come from somewhere in the local area.

Death Row inmates don’t get to visit with other prisoners in a common room; they stay in their small cells almost 24/7, 365 days a year. They wear handcuffs everywhere except their cells (and the shower), and their wardrobe consists of orange shirts and blue pants. (Color-coding of prison uniforms helps to easily identify a Death Row inmate by his orange shirt; other prisoners wear blue ones).

The people on Death Row sleep in their cells, eat in their cells, relieve themselves in their cell’s metal toilet, smoke cigarettes, read, watch television, write letters, read letters, and otherwise pass their time within their small cells, where there is no true privacy. Guards check on them at least once an hour, and one wall of the cell is made of bars, where inmates across the hall as well as guards walking the hallway can easily see inside the inmate’s confined space.

Death Row inmates take showers every other day, they get mail every weekday (not on weekends or holidays), and they can have small televisions (13”) in their cells. They don’t get cable. They can have radios. They can have snack food in their cells. They can smoke cigarettes in their cells (and most of them do). They cannot attend religious services, but they can watch church services on closed-circuit television.

Visits to a Death Row inmate must be approved by the prison officials as well as the Death Row inmate. No contact is allowed with a Death Row inmate during any visit.

Perhaps the best way to envision life on Death Row is to learn from someone who lives there. Ronald W. Clark, Jr., writes about his Death Row experience in a short essay entitled, “Welcome to My World.” It is telling. (Ron Clark waits execution on Florida’s Death Row today.)

I just read that there is huge outrage over Taxpayers might having to pay for Casey's high Profile Death Penalty Defense Team. Has anyone heard this and what does it mean?

I just read that there is huge outrage over Taxpayers might having to pay for Casey's high Profile Death Penalty Defense Team. Has anyone heard this and what does it mean?

Can you provide a link where you read this?

I just read that there is huge outrage over Taxpayers might having to pay for Casey's Defense Dream Team. Has anyone heard this and what does it mean?

Do you have a link? Thanks!

no. doesn't make sense....what you are hearing about with the taxpayer is the cost to Prosecute KC is enormous. The defense will get paid by movie and book deals and royalties from photos.

I just read that there is huge outrage over Taxpayers might having to pay for Casey's Defense Dream Team. Has anyone heard this and what does it mean?

I just saw this. I mean how are they going to complain. It is what it is. If they want her convicted, then that's the price to pay.

It's just nonsense Baez threw into the mix when he was having his little tantrum about the reintroduction of the DP. Included with his, "Forces are out to get Casey" crapola was this warning that a DP case is far more costly.

Too bad, so sad. It is what it is. If he's concerned about cost, he can work pro bono.

It's just nonsense Baez threw into the mix when he was having his little tantrum about the reintroduction of the DP. Included with his, "Forces are out to get Casey" crapola was this warning that a DP case is far more costly.

Too bad, so sad. It is what it is. If he's concerned about cost, he can work pro bono.

I totally agree BetsyB. I just saw it discussed on HLN Mike Galanos Prime News. Mark Eiglarsh and Jane Weintraub were debating (when Jane didn't completely blast Mark out with her annoying loud voice.) Mark ended the tirade by saying "not to worry. JB will have to go into the financial investigation with the judge again and it's unlikely he will go there." (Not a direct quote, but paraphrased.) :eek:

It was on the Nancy Grace show page. Sorry that it took so long for me to reply. And as someone else said just on HLN.

I don't understand the outrage.

Casey is no different than a Scott Peterson or any other person being tried for murder who's case is eligible for the death penalty.

Part of being a death penalty state is having to pay for the defense of indigent defendants who are being tried in a death penalty case.

If Casey is found to be indigent and can no longer pay for a defense, the state has to pay.

If Floridians are outraged at the cost of death penalty cases, then they need to complain to their state reps/congressmen to get the death penalty off the books in the State of Florida.

It's just Baez tossing "crap" out there, seeing if he can gain some sympathy for his client. imo

If she is indeed proved indigent, shouldn't she just get regular, inexpensive lawyers? Like public defenders?
Not expensive dream team players. OJ at least had money to hire his.

:confused::waitasec:What I don't understand is that all of these experts claimed they were doing this pro-bono. What has changed? If they were doing it pro-bono why do the tax payers have to pay? I understand court fee's will have to be paid, but other than that who is getting paid? Baez said they all have donated their services. I am confused.

I don't understand the outrage.

Casey is no different than a Scott Peterson or any other person being tried for murder who's case is eligible for the death penalty.

Part of being a death penalty state is having to pay for the defense of indigent defendants who are being tried in a death penalty case.

If Casey is found to be indigent and can no longer pay for a defense, the state has to pay.

If Floridians are outraged at the cost of death penalty cases, then they need to complain to their state reps/congressmen to get the death penalty off the books in the State of Florida.

It's just Baez tossing "crap" out there, seeing if he can gain some sympathy for his client. imo

I don't believe a word of it. I am a Florida tax payer and I believe any perp's prosecution is a good use of my money. We have to get these people in jail with no hope of ever coming out again.

I just think this is some "spin" that stupid Baez is putting out everywhere, as I have not heard even one Florida resident say they thought it was a waste. He is not going to give up this case, although he may be removed. I have never felt he would make it to trial.

I agree it was jose's idea to throw that out there
So what,,,, they do it all the time kc isn't the first maybe first for him though. Changes his status regardless of what he says.

Here's a link to the Orange County Public Defender's Office.

http://www.pd.circuit9.org/

Rober Wesley is the elected Public Defender. He has other attorneys working with him just like in any other big law office. Here are his credentials. Impressive. He is also Death Penalty case certified.

Robert Wesley
Public Defender,
Ninth Judicial Circuit
Robert Wesley was elected Public Defender of the Ninth Judicial Circuit in November 2000. His entire professional career has been spent in the criminal justice system and he has practiced criminal defense law in Central Florida since 1984. Wesley worked as a parole officer before attending law school and holds a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice from Rollins College. He received his Juris Doctor from Florida State University, with Honors.
He is a Board Certified Criminal Trial Lawyer and capital case qualified under the Rules of the Florida Supreme Court.
Wesley served as an Assistant Public Defender under Orange/Osceola Public Defender Joe DuRocher. He left the office to open his successful criminal defense law practice. He has been Executive Director of the Florida Supreme Court's Sentencing Guidelines Commission and Executive Director of the Volunteer Lawyers Resource Center.
Wesley is active in the community serving on the Habitat for Humanity Family Selection Committee, and volunteering for Teen Court. He has served as a member of his church's vestry and is a church usher. He is a member of the Orlando Rotary Club and Orlando Touchdown Club. He is a participating board member for the Center for Drug Free Living - Osceola County, Good News Jail and Prison Ministry President's Council, and Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center Advisory Council. He is elected to the Executive Council of the Orlando Branch of the NAACP, as a life member of that organization.
Professional associations include: Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Paul C. Perkins Bar Association, Central Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Hispanic Bar Association, Orange County Bar Association, Fellow - The Florida Bar Foundation, Florida Public Defenders Association, California Public Defenders Association, Life member of Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He participates in regulating the conduct of lawyers as a member of the Florida Bar - 9A Grievance Committee. He is a member of various statutory commissions and serves on the Orange County Jail Oversight Commission, and Central Florida Receiving Center Governing Board.

Mr Wesley's public defender attorneys must all have graduated from American Bar Association certified law schools and have passed the Florida bar exam. Interns must meet the Florida Bar requirements for certified interns. His employment opportunities page says he doesn't have any jobs for entry level attorneys (so one can assume it takes a good deal of experience to become a public defender -- it usually does.)

Of course, KC doesn't want him. It is her right to choose her own lawyer and their payment arrangement is between them. She chose JB and that's why he is working her case.

I just saw this. I mean how are they going to complain. It is what it is. If they want her convicted, then that's the price to pay.

Obviously there's an expected debt to be paid by the taxpayers already for just KC's lies...so, why should we expect anything different in a DP case?

I'd pay my taxes gladly to see this life removed from the face of the earth...gladly!

Who do those who are outraged think is paying for the prosecution and LE up until now anyway?

:confused::waitasec:What I don't understand is that all of these experts claimed they were doing this pro-bono. What has changed? If they were doing it pro-bono why do the tax payers have to pay? I understand court fee's will have to be paid, but other than that who is getting paid? Baez said they all have donated their services. I am confused.

As we all are. Some experts have claimed "pro-bono" others have said it's nobody's business or "no comment".

With the state paying for her defense, experts must agree to work for a "set price". Which is not much in compared to what they normally get paid.

Here's a link to the Orange County Public Defender's Office.

http://www.pd.circuit9.org/

Rober Wesley is the elected Public Defender. He has other attorneys working with him just like in any other big law office. Here are his credentials. Impressive. He is also Death Penalty case certified.

Robert Wesley
Public Defender,
Ninth Judicial Circuit
Robert Wesley was elected Public Defender of the Ninth Judicial Circuit in November 2000. His entire professional career has been spent in the criminal justice system and he has practiced criminal defense law in Central Florida since 1984. Wesley worked as a parole officer before attending law school and holds a Masters Degree in Criminal Justice from Rollins College. He received his Juris Doctor from Florida State University, with Honors.
He is a Board Certified Criminal Trial Lawyer and capital case qualified under the Rules of the Florida Supreme Court.
Wesley served as an Assistant Public Defender under Orange/Osceola Public Defender Joe DuRocher. He left the office to open his successful criminal defense law practice. He has been Executive Director of the Florida Supreme Court's Sentencing Guidelines Commission and Executive Director of the Volunteer Lawyers Resource Center.
Wesley is active in the community serving on the Habitat for Humanity Family Selection Committee, and volunteering for Teen Court. He has served as a member of his church's vestry and is a church usher. He is a member of the Orlando Rotary Club and Orlando Touchdown Club. He is a participating board member for the Center for Drug Free Living - Osceola County, Good News Jail and Prison Ministry President's Council, and Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center Advisory Council. He is elected to the Executive Council of the Orlando Branch of the NAACP, as a life member of that organization.
Professional associations include: Central Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Paul C. Perkins Bar Association, Central Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Hispanic Bar Association, Orange County Bar Association, Fellow - The Florida Bar Foundation, Florida Public Defenders Association, California Public Defenders Association, Life member of Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He participates in regulating the conduct of lawyers as a member of the Florida Bar - 9A Grievance Committee. He is a member of various statutory commissions and serves on the Orange County Jail Oversight Commission, and Central Florida Receiving Center Governing Board.

Mr Wesley's public defender attorneys must all have graduated from American Bar Association certified law schools and have passed the Florida bar exam. Interns must meet the Florida Bar requirements for certified interns. His employment opportunities page says he doesn't have any jobs for entry level attorneys (so one can assume it takes a good deal of experience to become a public defender -- it usually does.)

Of course, KC doesn't want him. It is her right to choose her own lawyer and their payment arrangement is between them. She chose JB and that's why he is working her case.

I think if deemed she's indigent and the state has to pay for her defense, she can continue with Jose and whoever she has already chose to defend her, they just have to agree to work for whatever the state based "defense fee" is.

Whatever the public defenders office would pay a public defender to do the same job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste