2009.04.13 State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chez-

You think JB will completely withdraw? I think he'll stay on. Obviously he can no longer be lead which will KILL him I'm sure.

MOO. JB needs to stay part of the "in" crowd so his future book will be a more interesting read.

I just gotta wonder if the state has gotten resistance from the defense and now they are pushing it to get a plea. I think whatever they have they have had for a while. JMHO.
I personally have difficulty with the DP, in contrast to my DH the cop who would fry any criminal in a NY minute... Life is hard. :^( Death is harder. I don't have the answers.
I have mixed emotions on this. Bring on the criticism, I know mine is not always a popular view on things. Either way, I love my WS buds. :^)

ITA, if one of my a family or I was faced with that choice, I would pick life for sure. I'm sure prison for life is brutal, but it does include school, radio, television, exercise, reading books, etc. The DP for these people just includes a one-way trip to H&LL.

Plus the hope of getting paroled one day due to some technicality.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong here but I believe all it takes is one juror to say not guilty and this to be a hung trial for a do over .. on the punishment phase they can find for death or life in prison or the judge can make the final decision. Anyone out there a little more legal eagle can pls. input pls.

Correct. The DP will not be the only option for the jury. However, if given the DP the judge can reject that sentence and impose LWOP. A judge rarely nullifies a jury's decision, but it has happened. The judge also can't impose the DP if the jury delivers LWOP.

If Casey is found guilty it is the judge who imposes the sentence all the jury does is make a recomendation. The judge is the final answer as to what will be imposed. It does not matter if the jury recommends the DP or not if Strickland or whoever the judge may be it is his/her final decision.

I think you should read my post again because that is exactly what I said. One thing though, if a jury opts for life over death, no judge can at that point, hand down a death sentence. That sentence can ONLY be handed down if all 12 jurors vote for death. That doesn't mean a judge has to impose death, but as I said upthread, there are not many judges who will go against the jury's recommendation. It sure happened in, "The Nanny" case though. I"m sure there are a few other examples out there as well.

I am so glad to hear this for several reasons!

1) The fact that they are seeking the death penalty will show the jury how serious they are in believing only KC could have done this. I always felt that by not seeking the DP, people believed "if they really thought she did it, why wouldn't they seek it?"

2) This, along with the fact that the SA recently filed that motion regarding JB's payment to make sure KC couldn't get an appeal down the line shows that they are pretty confident that she will be found guilty and convicted.

3) As sick as it is, I think KC wouldn't mind life in jail. She would be getting fan mail, tons of money sent to her to buy snacks and goodies, and you know she would be taking in conjugal visits like there's no tomorrow. Judging by how she reacted when Caylee's remains were found, you know this girl would FREAK the day before her execution. That one day of intense fear and paranoia before death will be way better than her rotting in jail IMO.

Yes, but no judge can sentence anyone to death unless the jury recommends it. He can, however, sentence her to LWOP even if the jury does recommend death. Judges are reluctant to tamper with the jury process, so whatever they recommend will probably be the sentence.

Thank you!

Just released from WESH news! :clap:

State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony
In a change of heart, the state attorney's office has filed a letter of intent Monday to seek the dealth penalty for Casey Anthony.

The court and Casey Anthony's attorney, Jose Baez, are being notified.

Previously, the state said they would not seek the death penalty for Anthony, who is in the Orange County Jail charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of her daughter, Caylee.

The state attorney's office is citing "sufficient aggarvating circumstances" as the reason for Monday's decision.

READ: State's Intent To Seek Death Penalty
http://www.wftv.com/blank/19169222/detail.html

http://www.wesh.com/news/19168682/detail.html

I have been just sitting back and waiting for this....HLN is reporting that it may have something to do with the duct tape evidence.
Step in the right direction IMO to maybe get this case to plead out and stop the crazy train dead in it's tracks.

Looks like a good day for justice....GUILTY VERDICT in the Spector trial and the death penalty being put back in the mix for Casey. :dance:

Man, I don't even believe in the death penalty, but I found myself clapping aloud as I read about this news. And, I'm home alone. Wow. I'm conflicted!

I just wish it would wipe a little of the smug off of some Anthony faces, but that is pipe dreamin'!

My first thought: BET THAT WILL WIPE THAT SMUG LOOK OFF OF CINDY'S FACE. ;)

Will never be a death penalty advocate, however.

Just throwing this out there.....could this decision NOT be due to any new additional evidence, could it be due to the despicable depositions that were taken last week by GA and CA?? I thought the DP was being spared in part due to the fact that the family didn't support it? Could the SA have finally had enough with the Anthonys, and disregarded their feelings about the DP??

I don't think the SA gives a rats :butthead: about what Cindy and George want or their behavior at the deposition. The only interest the State has in the deposition are the contradictions and lies. I'd love to have been there when Cindy heard the news. Bet she schwallowed and choked on her gum! She's probably counting down to George's next suicide attempt, lining up the pill bottles and running out to get him some beer.

That's certainly not true in my state. The jury only recommends and having one juror voting against the other 11 would not prohibit the judge from imposing a death sentence or a life sentence if it went the other way.

This is interesting. Do you mind sharing the state you live in? I'd be curious to look it up. TIA if you decide to share.

My first thought: BET THAT WILL WIPE THAT SMUG LOOK OFF OF CINDY'S FACE. ;)

Will never be a death penalty advocate, however.

ITA! I normally do not support the DP, but if this case doesn't call for the death penalty, I don't know what does.

While I dont want to sound cold....Its my birthday and I couldnt think of a better thing to hear today.....well except someone telling me I won the lottery!

LOL...It's my birthday too!!! I had a really bad day, and this news brightened it a bit. it means SA possibly found the heinous smoking gun.

We can be cold together and eat birthday cake :)

Certainly could be, Broderick. Great point.

What if LE were to have found that this particular diary or notebook was not in production prior to maybe even late 2008? I tend to believe that the diary entry was written in 2008.

Ooooh! That would be good!

I wouldn't want to take the bet that Casey won't get the DP if I were her. That's some high stakes poker she's playing, and she may be an experienced pathological liar, but she's terrible at it just the same.

But then, if my baby was missing, I'd be bouncing between hysteria and full fury trying to find her, not laughing with the detectives and grooming myself for the camera.

She's going down. How far is up to her now.

FaerieB, by the time all of the appeals are exhausted, if she gets the DP, she will have spent plenty of time locked away in solitary before she walks the last mile...IMO, I don't want this diabolical creature living out her life in prison - everyday that she lives is one more day that she has to add to her own notoriety.
MOO

I tend to disagree that LWOP would increase her notoriety. For the most part, LWOP prisoners are vastly ignored by the press. It is death penalty prisoners, and all the appeals attached to them, that keep going in the media forever. As an example, from the time of his conviction to the time of his death, Jeffrey Dahmer was, for the most part, ignored by the media. Contrast that with Ted Bundy and his fight, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Guess JB is stamping his feet, and crying "this is my case, and KC loves me. I'm writing a motion to the judge right now to get that DA out of office. I could have been a contender I could have won this case easy. RALMAO

LOL...It's my birthday too!!! I had a really bad day, and this news brightened it a bit. it means SA possibly found the heinous smoking gun.

We can be cold together and eat birthday cake :)

:HappyBday :partyguy:

I don't think the SA gives a rats :butthead: about what Cindy and George want or their behavior at the deposition. The only interest the State has in the deposition are the contradictions and lies. I'd love to have been there when Cindy heard the news. Bet she schwallowed and choked on her gum! She's probably counting down to George's next suicide attempt, lining up the pill bottles and running out to get him some beer.

dont forget the chicken. it was chicken found with him right? or was it pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay