2009.04.13 State To Seek Death Penalty For Casey Anthony

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was from 10 pages ago, but when I listed FL's mitigating/aggrevating circumstances - I didn't mean to say the mitigating factors existed in FACT, just that the defense will argue them. KC is young, no criminal record until this summer that we know of, and if KC is convicted, I'd bet the defense will go for a "psychotic break" in June that caused KC to go insane - as a mitigating circumstance.

Also during the sentencing phase you hear victim impact statements. As much as, well, the entire world loves Caylee now, there don't seem to be that many people who knew her personally in life to testify. JG & RG will be up there, Great Grandma will be up there with her cats. But I don't know - as much as CA, GA, and LA really loved Caylee, I don't think they'd get up in court and advocate for the death penalty for their daughter. Usually you have the victim's relatives giving heart wrenching testimony - but here, they'd know that means killing KC.

So its a difficult situation- I don't know if a jury would agree on death with CA up there pleading for her daughters life.

Unfortunately LKB wasn't on the case for the guilty verdict. She's still a loser though...not sure how she sleeps at night.

True, however all of the evidence that LKB brought into the first trial was repeated in the second trial. So, even if her big booty wasn't physically there the requested bench notes she asked for were. So much for bench notes!

Can we please have a change of venue now? To my county and to be called as a juror? I won't have any problem voting for the DP on this piece of (insert nasty word here)...

BTW, I'm not real happy to hear that they'll be seeking death. I do favor the DP and personally would support it ANYTIME that premeditation could be established, but I don't think it's right that it's not equally applied. Man is too fallible and I don't like this decision being left in 1 or 2 people's hands, either. If we're going to have a death penalty, it should be equally applied and sought for EVERY case where the special circumstances come into play.

I also don't like the cost involved with housing, feeding, medicating, then the appeals process, etc.. associated with death penalty cases. It's cheaper just to house them, and we're not talking a few bucks difference here and there. We're talking 100's of thousands per death row inmate MORE than those kept in the regular population.

Initially, I did want the state to seek death for Casey for no other reason than a hope (though it too would have been a long shot), of Casey MAYBE leading investigators to Caylee's remains, and saving the good taxpayers of Florida MILLIONS to try her.

Now though, just house the _____ (fill in the blank as you see fit) for LIFE, and let the world forget she exists. 10 years down the road when she's weighing in at 160-170 pounds would be complete torture for someone like her.

There is currently 1 other woman on death row and I don't think the appeals process in Florida is as slow as it is in say for instance, Cali.
In the end, if she is convicted with the DP being issued, IMO in the longrun it will be cheaper than housing her for what could be a very long time...she is a very young, healthy 23 year old after all.

You're misreading this. Every state decides for itself whether to have the death penalty or not and whether the jury or the judge makes the final decision on the sentence.

From the story you posted above.
No, I don't think so. If the jury doesn't recommend death, the judge can't impose it. We shall see. At any rate, I recall that Florida was one of the states that must hold to that law.
I'm always open to correction. Too tired to explore further right now.

Based on KC's little picture that was found on her computer ("Why do people kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong") she's anti-death penalty and I'm sure she is PISSED right now!

My first thought was that the A's behavior might have pushed the SA over the edge, but I really don't think they would risk the case on emotions tied with the DP.

You people are very, very kind. I am not so kind. I think the DP is deserved, warranted, legal, and I am glad the state has put it back in place. Someone has to speak up for Caylee, and it's clear no one in her family will do that.

I can't help but wish I could see KC's expression when she hears this, and the A's too.

Based on KC's little picture that was found on her computer ("Why do people kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong") she's anti-death penalty and I'm sure she is PISSED right now!

Funny how she's anti-death penalty but has no problem imposing it on a two year old. IMO

I am just getting home from work and seeing this news. Wow. If we thought GA's and CA's attitude was bad at last week's deposition, I would hate to be around them now - can you imagine?

Poor little Caylee.

Statistics about death row in FLA

Statistics on Executed inmates in Florida*

*Refers to inmates executed after the death penalty was reinstated in Florida, beginning with John Spenkelink’s execution in May 1979.
12.31 years is the average length of stay on Death Row prior to execution
13.94 years is the average number of years between offense and execution.
44.35 years is the average age at time of execution.
30.40 years is the average age at offense for executed inmates.

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/index.html

This was from 10 pages ago, but when I listed FL's mitigating/aggrevating circumstances - I didn't mean to say the mitigating factors existed in FACT, just that the defense will argue them. KC is young, no criminal record until this summer that we know of, and if KC is convicted, I'd bet the defense will go for a "psychotic break" in June that caused KC to go insane - as a mitigating circumstance.

Also during the sentencing phase you hear victim impact statements. As much as, well, the entire world loves Caylee now, there don't seem to be that many people who knew her personally in life to testify. JG & RG will be up there, Great Grandma will be up there with her cats. But I don't know - as much as CA, GA, and LA really loved Caylee, I don't think they'd get up in court and advocate for the death penalty for their daughter. Usually you have the victim's relatives giving heart wrenching testimony - but here, they'd know that means killing KC.

So its a difficult situation- I don't know if a jury would agree on death with CA up there pleading for her daughters life.
The fact that she didn't report Caylee missing at all, and that Cindy did (31 days after the fact), is an aggravating factor, for sure.

Also during the sentencing phase you hear victim impact statements. As much as, well, the entire world loves Caylee now, there don't seem to be that many people who knew her personally in life to testify. JG & RG will be up there, Great Grandma will be up there with her cats. But I don't know - as much as CA, GA, and LA really loved Caylee, I don't think they'd get up in court and advocate for the death penalty for their daughter. Usually you have the victim's relatives giving heart wrenching testimony - but here, they'd know that means killer

MAybe CA can bribe them with a 6 pack of gum. If that doesn't work there is always the baseball bat!

There is currently 1 other woman on death row and I don't think the appeals process in Florida is as slow as it is in say for instance, Cali.
In the end, if she is convicted with the DP being issued, IMO in the longrun it will be cheaper than housing her for what could be a very long time...she is a very young, healthy 23 year old after all.

I heard Florida is second to Texas in executing DR inmates. Anyone know if that's true? If so, and she gets the DP, she probably won't reach her mid 30s.

:eek:fftopic:
For maureenv & illinoismom:
:woohoo: :Happy Birthday! +
:Justice: :woohoo:
:balloons: :HappyBday: :gift: :cake4u: :sundae: :Banane59: :gift: :partyguy: :martini: :Banane27: :birthday_party: :Banane33: :dance:

No, I don't think so. If the jury doesn't recommend death, the judge can't impose it. We shall see. At any rate, I recall that Florida was one of the states that must hold to that law.
I'm always open to correction. Too tired to explore further right now.

You're right- in criminal trials, judges can't issue directed verdicts. During the trial they can't just say, okay Prosecution you proved this case beyond a reasonable doubt, guilty! And in sentencing you can't impose a higher sentence than the jury does. Death must be decided by a jury of ones peers.

But the judge can reduce the sentence. If the jury picks death, and the judge thinks there's no reasonable way for an unbiased jury to come to this conclusion, then it can direct for LWOP or retrial. Usually this has come up in the south where a black defendant was convicted by an all white jury, and there wasn't evidence to sustain the verdict- it was "clear" that it was a bias decision. Of course the prosecution could appeal saying the judge "abused his discretion" but that usually doesn't happen.

This isn't about money. This is about whether a heinous criminal is fit for society, even inside prison.

I guess I can't argue with your logic, but there are MANY Casey Anthony's out there and many more who are much worse. While emotionally we want to say it's not about money, no one has unlimited resources at their disposal and there are times when tough decisions must be made.

When we look at the national debt and individual state's debt, somehow, we do have to try to find a way to take emotion off the table.

As for Casey, if she receives death, I won't be losing any sleep, that's for sure. My opinion on the DP itself isn't only based on this case, though. Now, if we want to take these monsters, walk them to town square and hang them immediately upon being sentenced (reducing costs A LOT LOL), and if we want to have the same rules apply across the board for all, hey, I'm there. I'll even gladly go watch the executions in my area. I'd bet under these circumstances, the death penalty would most definitely become a HUGE deterrent, too.

Wouldn't the DP option only be after the sentencing? Meaning they could convict her but then choose not to impose the death penalty on her. If I'm right, it's not like a guilty verdict would equal automatic DP. Also, only one juror believing she's not guilty would result in a mistrial and if this is a DP case I believe the SA would want to retry it (I believe they would be willing to retry it even if 3 people felt she was NG). I believe the 2nd trial would work to their advantage b/c they will know they defense's strategy. I don't think she's walking IMO.
I was wondering that too about the DP. (Law is not my domain.)

What gave me the chills yesterday as I was watching KC on those LE tapes in that tiny room..... I think it was on the first day that she got arrested, was her demeanor. It was just dang chilling to me. I mean, even putting aside guilt or innocence for a second, there she is talking about her daughter's disappearance and presumed (at that point) death and she seems so so.... incredibly removed and disconnected. Her apparent emotional detachment is simply stunning. She's just nonchalantly chatting away... giggly, flirty.. holding court like she's just pleased as punch (whatever that means) and the topic at hand is not the sale at Macy's or a party - it's her missing daughter.

No words....

But seeing George and Cindy's antics in the depo videos (and all their prior antics as well,) I totally see why KC is how she is. Not excusing it.. jus sayin....

MOO

It didn't phase her before. She'll never admit she killed Caylee. Never.
I agree, just like Scott Peterson who still has a picture of him and Laci as the only thing decorating his walls of his cell while be blogs on how he hopes LE have arrested the right person for the murder of Chandra Levy...concerned someone else, like he was wrongly accused. :slap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay