2009.06.19 Autopsy Report Released

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caylee generally wore her hair in a pony tail. It's possible the hair mass was the remnants of the pony tail after long exposure to nature.

To me, the thing that just gobsmacked me was the paper towels. I mean, I knew we knew that decomp was in the trunk, but would some killer other than KC try to clean up the mess from KC's car? It's just absurd. That, to me, is the dagger. Which is weird, because it wouldn't seem to be a report highlight.

I don't want to think of beautiful Caylee terrified and suffocating, but when I read this report with all the objectivity I can muster, I just can't believe any scenario that puts the tape there after death. I WANT to; it'd be almost comforting in a sick way, but with the phrasing about the nasal apecture and Dr. G's own words, I can't see it otherwise. Despite CBS' misquotation of the report, the report itself seems to indicate exactly why DP was put back on the table. If KC was somehow smart enough to forsee the leakage, wouldn't she have taped the head completely, or tied a bag around it? Or wouldn't she, being KC, just have dumped the body if she knew that mess was coming?

It's just grotesque. And I can no longer imagine a "soft" death. As a mother of a two year-old, I want to cling to my lack of comprehension that a mother could do this, but as someone who has followed these cases for a very long time--everything seems to indicate that not only is this first-degree murder, it was particularly atrocious, heinous, and cruel and I no longer have a shred of doubt about the DA pursuing the DP. Before this, I thought it was a risk. Now I can only pray that losing KC won't send George back over the edge. As much as I am beyond over the As, I can't imagine reading this as a parent or grandparent. *I* want to vomit when I read the skeletal dispersal report. Imagine them.

Thanks for the link. The only person the evidence is pointing to is KC. By that I mean, involvement with the death of Caylee. Not JG, not AH, not Tony, not LA, not GA, not CA...it is all pointing to KC. Not an imaginary flipping nanny. She was the ONE driving the car. The one who abandoned the car. The one who cleaned up the decomp mess with paper towels.

I may not have an ounce of Italian blood flowing in me...but man, I feel like Teresa on The Real Housewives of New Jersey...I want to start flipping tables over on top of people. :furious:

I hope Casey gets convicted and sentenced to death by tape, !!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, I'm furious!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have not read the thread in its entirety but, does anyone else find it suspicious that the approximation for the body to become a skeleton to be about 2 weeks to 30 days and Caylee was reported on the 31 days? To me this this raises a big red flag!

Does the link below (thx Angel Who Cares) include FBI forensic report on items and results that we haven't seen ? It includes items from the A's home (plastic bags), items from scene, and pieces of plastic from the laundry bag. I noticed item Q117 described as a "bottle with cap". Is that the Gatorade bottle or a glass bottle?

http://www.clickorlando.com/download/2009/0619/19802052.pdf

My apologies if already mentioned-still trying to catch up!

:clap:Excellent post, Mom of boys!:clap:

I am going outside to get some fresh air and try to forget about the things I just read!

RIP Precious Caylee, I am sorry this most horrible thing happened to you, sweet baby.:blowkiss:

To me, the thing that just gobsmacked me was the paper towels. I mean, I knew we knew that decomp was in the trunk, but would some killer other than KC try to clean up the mess from KC's car? It's just absurd. That, to me, is the dagger. Which is weird, because it wouldn't seem to be a report highlight.

I don't want to think of beautiful Caylee terrified and suffocating, but when I read this report with all the objectivity I can muster, I just can't believe any scenario that puts the tape there after death. I WANT to; it'd be almost comforting in a sick way, but with the phrasing about the nasal apecture and Dr. G's own words, I can't see it otherwise. Despite CBS' misquotation of the report, the report itself seems to indicate exactly why DP was put back on the table. If KC was somehow smart enough to forsee the leakage, wouldn't she have taped the head completely, or tied a bag around it? Or wouldn't she, being KC, just have dumped the body if she knew that mess was coming?

It's just grotesque. And I can no longer imagine a "soft" death. As a mother of a two year-old, I want to cling to my lack of comprehension that a mother could do this, but as someone who has followed these cases for a very long time--everything seems to indicate that not only is this first-degree murder, it was particularly atrocious, heinous, and cruel and I no longer have a shred of doubt about the DA pursuing the DP. Before this, I thought it was a risk. Now I can only pray that losing KC won't send George back over the edge. As much as I am beyond over the As, I can't imagine reading this as a parent or grandparent. *I* want to vomit when I read the skeletal dispersal report. Imagine them.

I have not read the thread in its entirety but, does anyone else find it suspicious that the approximation for the body to become a skeleton to be about 2 weeks to 30 days and Caylee was reported on the 31 days? To me this this raises a big red flag!

Suspicious yes but don't think it was KC's plan, CA just caught up with her

I don't think the several pieces of duct tape were put there to hold the mandible in place, that was just the result when skeletonized.

Several pieces is interesting isn't it? One would have to tear several pieces from another source. I hope they can match it to a roll of tape they've seized.

We will never know if the tape was put on before or after Caylee's death. Because there were several, my first hunch is that the body was beginning to decompose and KC needed to make sure the fluids didn't leak out - so several pieces (you know one more for good measure) were placed over the nose and mouth. Then she placed a sticker there so it wouldn't look so bad.

Then, she woulda had to tape all the orifaces.

that is true but the report does state that the nasal openings were also covered in tape.

Respectfully, it says, "...grayish colored tape was noted covering the mouth and nasal aperture areas."

So...here goes....IMHO:

1) "aperture" = opening = nostril
2) "areas" => soft tissue gone...therefore...no nostril with which to definitively reference

So....IMHO...this suggests the tape was possibly covering the nostrils.

Also covered in earlier posts that tape extended to posterior manible (jawbone) and hair.

So....IMHO...tape was applied before "decomposition" (e.g. as in a reference to the soft connective tissue that keeps the mandible in place/articulated) yet could have still been post-mortem or ante-mortem.

So...IMHO...
  • Tape applied as cause-of-death is NOT off the table
  • Tape applied to stem decomp fluid from mouth, nose & ears is also NOT off the table
Important to note, IMHO,...since ME's didn't conclude the cause of death was due to the placement of the tape..it seems we are in less of a position to do so.

The Duct tape was placed to keep the Mandible in place?
I have looked it up and I do have thoughts but I want to see what others more knowledgeable say about this.

I interpret that to mean simply that because there was duct tape place over the mandible and maxilla that it kept them in place despite decomp, not to keep them in place. I'm definately not knowledgable, just interpreting, FWIW.

Sorry, I disagree. A body does start to decompose, and after a few days the fluids will start to leak out, but the outer skin is still in tact. The leakage could have been noted, the smell getting worse and the pieces of tape put over the nose and mouth to stop those orafices from leaking fluid when the body was lying down.

Decomposition with regard to the tape was only refering to the skin tissue and that was determined because the tape held the mandible in place.

The report doesn't say, "before the slightest stage of decomposition".

You have to take it in the context with which it is written and logically conclude from the REASON it was mentioned, i.e. because the facial bones were not disarticulated or scattered.

I think in Florida at that time of year with the heat and "sealed" in the trunk of a car and trash bags decomp would be rapid. It would be pretty drastic within 24 hours. Fluid leaks from the entire body, all the pores - not just the orifices. The actual cells break down and leak. As if the body is sweating out all of it's fluid.

FWIW - Some cultures actually preserve human remains in a similar way. They place the body in an overheated, enclosed space and continuously scrape away the fluid that leaks out of the pores. This process dehydrates the body and creates a certain type of mummy. If the fluid is not scraped away then the body will decomp rapidly.

I think the rapid pace of decomp makes it unlikely that the duct tape was placed there in order to keep the fluid from leaking. Once Casey even realized that fluid was leaking I think there would be enough decomp to make it very difficult to get duct tape to stick to the skin. It would be a slimy type surface.

Of course Casey could have placed the tape there after death but it would have had to have been very shortly after death - within 24 hours max - and not as a result of Casey noticing fluid leakage and trying to prevent it.

I think that the autopsy report makes the placement of duct tape after death more unlikely and adds a little more weight to the possibility that the tape was placed during and as an aid to the actual murder of Caylee.

Sorry to be so graphic.

Yep, and the amount of leakage from the nose and mouth as compared to other orrifices is minimal. Duct taping her mouth and nose for this purpose would accomplish nothing.

That pretty much sums up Dr. Perper's expert opinion as well. He said there would be no reason to put duct tape over the mouth of a deceased person.

I never bought the theory of a staged kidnapping and after learning there was more than one piece of tape over her mouth, it further solidifies my view that she was alive at the time.

"A hair mat was noted on the base of the skull and grayish colored tape was noted covering the mouth and nasal aperture areas." bolded by me.

Oh! I see! That puts another picture on the issue.

Perhaps I have misread the report, but best I can tell... The paper towels belonged to the police. I was understanding they used them like swabs. Am I way off base here? You sleuths are so smart and I respect your opinions.

I guess I'm not sure how to interpret the phrase "clearly placed prior to decomposition." I'm assuming the word "any" before the word decomp, you are assuming the word "much" before the word decomp. Both are reasonable assumptions, although I like mine better. :) From the sentence structure I don't know if that was the ME's conclusion based on the mandible being in place, or from some other reason. I would expect the sentence to be phrased differently if so. But I may be reading too much into this.

I believe the death of cells begins in most parts of the body within minutes after death and decomposition begins.

Therefore I take Dr G's statement literally, that the tape was placed there prior to death. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KiKi_T