2009.11.06 Forensic Entomology Report Released #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This may have already been posted but I found this quite interesting regarding adipocere:

ADIPOCERE:

Also known as "grave wax," adipocere (from the Latin, adipo for fat and cera for wax) is a grayish-white postmortem (after death) matter caused by fat decomposition, which results from hydrolysis and hydrogenation of the lipids (fatty cells) that compose subcutaneous (under the skin) fat tissues.

Although decomposition of fatty tissues starts almost immediately after death, adipocere formation time may vary from two weeks to one or two months, on average, due to several factors, such as temperature, embalming and burial conditions, and materials surrounding the corpse. For instance, the subcutaneous adipose (fatty) tissue of corpses immersed in cold water or kept in plastic bags may undergo a uniform adipocere formation with the superficial layers of skin slipping off.

Several studies have been conducted in the last ten years to understand and determine the rate of adipocere formation under different conditions. Other studies also investigated the influence of some bacteria and chemicals, present in grave soils, in adipocere decomposition. Although this issue remains a challenging one, the purpose of such studies is to establish standard parameters for possible application in forensic analysis, such as the estimation of time elapsed since death when insect activity is not present. In forensics, adipocere is also important because preserved body remains may offer other clues associated either with the circumstances surrounding or the cause of death. The ability of adipocere to preserve a body has been well illustrated in exhumed corpses, even after a century.

Adipose cells are rich in glycerol molecules and are formed by triglycerols (or triglycerides). Bacterial activity releases enzymes that break these triglycerides into a mixture of saturated and unsaturated free fatty acids, a process known as hydrolysis. In the presence of enough water and enzymes, triglycerol hydrolysis will proceed until all molecules are reduced to free fatty acids. Unsaturated free fatty acids, such as palmitoleic and linoleic acids, react with hydrogen to form hydroxystearic, hydroxypalmitic acids and other stearic compounds, a process known as saponification, or turning into soap.

This final product of fat decomposition, or adipocere, can be stable for long periods of time due to its considerable resistance to bacterial action. This resistance allows for slower decomposition of those areas of a corpse where adipose tissues are present, such as cheeks, thighs, and buttocks. When a corpse is exposed to insects, however, adipocere probably will not be formed, as body decomposition will be much faster because of the insects' action. Animal scavenging of a dead body will also prevent adipocere formation.

SEE ALSO Decomposition; Entomology; Forensic science.

I interpret botanicals to be plants and I am not sure if corpse fauna would feed on it or be attracted to it.

bo•tan•i•cal (b -t n -k l) also bo•tan•ic (-t n k)
adj.
1. Of or relating to plants or plant life.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/botanical

Note there was also dirt residue and soil found in the trunk. (Note: Dirt samples and dirt residue from trunk- Q14, Q15, Q17
http://media.myfoxorlando.com/photo...eports-car-trunk/1/lg/11208-11280_Page_05.htm

I think the botanicals tie into the following Email Lizzysf posted in the other thread:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:31 AM
To: Vincent, Michael (OCSO)
Subject: RE: **Exempt**

Mike, I try very hard not to second-guess people since I am well aware that I know very little of what is really going on in an investigation, but I think the early release of the chloroform data was a mistake. Since I am saying nothing to anyone outside my group, I am now getting criticized for other reasons and feel that it might be time to back away from this work. I will of course get the next report out to you and Yuri as promised as soon as I can. On a final note, some of the products we have seen include Pinene and Limonene. This could point to a (possibly) shallow marshy area with decaying vegetation. Is there such an area anywhere near where the car was found? Is it possible to get a topo map of the area? Would it be possible to speak to the individual leading the search from Necrosearch? Arpad

Arpad A. Vass, Ph.D

When Casey borrowed the shovel she may have attempted to dig at the remains site and given up because it was too much work and would take too long with the risk of being seen. Botanicals may have adhered to the shovel blade and been transferred to the trunk, releasing the pinenes and limonenes. The botanicals could have remained there and when Casey was wiping the liner with the napkins residue from the plant got on the napkins then the napkins were placed in the trash bag. The botanicals must have been on the trunk carpet because not listed as items found in trash bag. http://www.wftv.com/pdf/20321119/detail.html

The day the shovel was borrowed Casey may have moved the plastic pool storage container over to the pool to rinse the shovel. In her attempt the shovel may have fallen in so she may have put the pool ladder on to retrieve it. This would jive with Cindy's account to a coworker about someone coming into the backyard and using the pool. Also explains the story Casey told Tracy.
The source possibly being vegetation is equally true to Valhall's assessment that the "orange cleaners" also contain Pinene and Limonene. It could be either.

The source possibly being vegetation is equally true to Valhall's assessment that the "orange cleaners" also contain Pinene and Limonene. It could be either.

I will take that as food for thought but I still think he is asking specifically for a location where decaying vegetation/botanicals are located.

On a final note, some of the products we have seen include Pinene and Limonene. This could point to a (possibly) shallow marshy area with decaying vegetation. Is there such an area anywhere near where the car was found? Is it possible to get a topo map of the area?

Soil, a large and small botanical were found in the trunk.

Pg.4/10456- Entomology report

http://www.clickorlando.com/download/2009/1106/21539770.pdf

He does not ask or say anything about the possibility of a cleaner being used.

That is my opinion until other info surfaces or proved otherwise. I will take it under advisement til then.

I am certain future doc dumps will provide more bug evidence. I think Dr. Haskell is a fine bug guy. I read the report several times. I could not find anywhere in the docs that OCSO informed Dr. Haskell that the white trash bag had been placed in or near a dumpster for 8 hours. IF and I realize that is a big IF, he was not informed of this, then I am afraid the defense will say, through no fault of his own Dr. Haskel and his findings are based on evidence that was contaminated. Just my opinion of course.

I am certain future doc dumps will provide more bug evidence. I think Dr. Haskell is a fine bug guy. I read the report several times. I could not find anywhere in the docs that OCSO informed Dr. Haskell that the white trash bag had been placed in or near a dumpster for 8 hours. IF and I realize that is a big IF, he was not informed of this, then I am afraid the defense will say, through no fault of his own Dr. Haskel and his findings are based on evidence that was contaminated. Just my opinion of course.

Dr. Haskell's timeline chart included 7/15/08 "trashbags to dumpster" and 7/16/08 "bags out."

I don't think blow flies could get into the sandbox if the lid was closed.

I remember seeing the sandbox on Greta and it was the same one my son had about six/seven years ago. The lids on those sandbox's are not air tight. I would think it would be easy for flies or any insect to get to the sand if they wanted to. JMHO

I remember seeing the sandbox on Greta and it was the same one my son had about six/seven years ago. The lids on those sandbox's are not air tight. I would think it would be easy for flies or any insect to get to the sand if they wanted to. JMHO
That takes care of that then. I was thinking the sandbox lid would be airtight like a garbage can lid or car trunk. But, since that isn't true, blow flies could and would have gotten to Caylee if she had been out in the sandbox. I know I've read that blow flies often get into tied trash bags.

Some have speculated that the cadaver dogs alerted in the backyard where the gas cans that had been in KC's trunk were set down or where the shovel may have been set. If KC used the shovel to maneuver Caylee (or the leaking bags) in her trunk, either of those theories could have happened.

My kids have the exact sand box as Caylee. The lid sits on top, there aren't any notches that click it in or anything. I've found every bug under the sun in our sandbox.

Dr. Haskell's timeline chart included 7/15/08 "trashbags to dumpster" and 7/16/08 "bags out."

Thank you, I missed that. Did you see anywhere is this last report where samples taken from the trunk were analyzed. I only see items taken from the white trash bag. Another poster mentioned that the items taken directly from the trunk and not from the white trash bag will be most likely in a future doc dump.

Thank you, I missed that. Did you see anywhere is this last report where samples taken from the trunk were analyzed. I only see items taken from the white trash bag. Another poster mentioned that the items taken directly from the trunk and not from the white trash bag will be most likely in a future doc dump.

According to the Forensic Entomology Report, the first samples came from the trunk and did not contain adult flies. OCSO went back to the trunk and didn't find any adult flies. ASL Vincent remembered the hundreds of maggots in the trash bag (that had been sealed since August. The first batch of bug samples went out in Sept.).The garbage is where the batch of maggots and eggs that Dr. Haskell nutured into adult flies came from. That was all in Sept. & Oct. In Dec. Dr. Haskell came to Orlando and went over the trunk and garbage. (page 43 http://www.wesh.com/download/2009/0121/18530363.pdf)

I agree with the poster that said there will be more bug reports.

According to the Forensic Entomology Report, the first samples came from the trunk and did not contain adult flies. OCSO went back to the trunk and didn't find any adult flies. ASL Vincent remembered the hundreds of maggots in the trash bag (that had been sealed since August. The first batch of bug samples went out in Sept.).The garbage is where the batch of maggots and eggs that Dr. Haskell nutured into adult flies came from. That was all in Sept. & Oct. In Dec. Dr. Haskell came to Orlando and went over the trunk and garbage. (page 43 http://www.wesh.com/download/2009/0121/18530363.pdf)

I agree with the poster that said there will be more bug reports.

Thanks, for helping me clear the part up about samples from the trunk interior.
So now, I have to ask this question; is it possible that whatever was attractive to the insects in the trunk was also attractive to the insects in the dumpster? and if that is possible, would it not be possible for the insects from the dumpster to infiltrate the white trash bag? and if so, would that not contaminate the white trash bag and its contents?
In my opinion, the answer to these 3 questions is yes, and I think that makes the findings questionable.
Can anyone help me clear this up? I am not understanding how they can use evidence that may be contaminated. I hope I am barking up the wrong tree here. I could be very wrong here, I'm not a bug guy. It just seems to me that dumpsters have lots of bugs in them and they would have flown into the white trash bag where there were obviously a whole bunch of other insects.
TIA to anyone who helps me clear these questions up.

Thanks, for helping me clear the part up about samples from the trunk interior.
So now, I have to ask this question; is it possible that whatever was attractive to the insects in the trunk was also attractive to the insects in the dumpster? and if that is possible, would it not be possible for the insects from the dumpster to infiltrate the white trash bag? and if so, would that not contaminate the white trash bag and its contents?
In my opinion, the answer to these 3 questions is yes, and I think that makes the findings questionable.
Can anyone help me clear this up? I am not understanding how they can use evidence that may be contaminated. I hope I am barking up the wrong tree here. I could be very wrong here, I'm not a bug guy. It just seems to me that dumpsters have lots of bugs in them and they would have flown into the white trash bag where there were obviously a whole bunch of other insects.
TIA to anyone who helps me clear these questions up.

We discussed this identical question on 11/8 - I thought you were aware that what attracted the coffin flies in the trash bag was the paper towels which contained Adipocere, from a decomposing Caylee.

Here is the first paragraph from Dr Haskell's report.
The presence of large numbers of larvae, puparia and some adult Diptera Phorida (coffin flies) recovered from the trunk of the Pontiac Sunbird, and from inside the white plastic garbage bag with blue handles indicates the presence of sufficient decompositional material to attract significant numbers of the species. The complete report is on the first post of this thread.

If this has been posted before, please accept my apologies.

Viewed best in full screen.

[ame="http://www.scribd.com/doc/17203643/Crime-Scene-Intelligence-An-Experiment-in-Forensic-Entomology"]Crime Scene Intelligence: An Experiment in Forensic Entomology@@AMEPARAM@@/docinfo/17203643?access_key=key-nxo222k2h5weiam3t1x@@AMEPARAM@@17203643@@AMEPARAM@@key-nxo222k2h5weiam3t1x[/ame]

I am confused and have a question. I should know this, but I don't.

The white trash bag with blue handles:

Was that from TL house?

When was it in KC car?

Was there decomp and insects/maggots in it?

When (if there) was it removed from her car?

Thanks a bunch! :)

I am confused and have a question. I should know this, but I don't.

The white trash bag with blue handles:

Was that from TL house?

When was it in KC car?

Was there decomp and insects/maggots in it?

When (if there) was it removed from her car?

Thanks a bunch! :)
Not sure of the color of the handles...but yes...this is the trash from Casey's car (assumed to have come from TL's apt.) that the tow guy tossed on July 15th and LE later retrieved from trash receptacle (not sure exactly what time...would say it was early on the 16th). Decomp on paper towels...bugs in bag. HTH

Not sure of the color of the handles...but yes...this is the trash from Casey's car (assumed to have come from TL's apt.) that the tow guy tossed on July 15th and LE later retrieved from trash receptacle (not sure exactly what time...would say it was early on the 16th). Decomp on paper towels...bugs in bag. HTH

Thank you so very much!

We discussed this identical question on 11/8 - I thought you were aware that what attracted the coffin flies in the trash bag was the paper towels which contained Adipocere, from a decomposing Caylee.

I am aware of the flys that were in the trunk, when George opened the trunk and the towyard guy took the white trash bag and placed it near a dumpster, then I think he placed it in the dumpster a little later after George had left. What I am asking is would the insects in the dumpster prior to the white trash bag being placed in or near the dumpster infiltrate the white trash bag thus contaminating the white trash bag with insects totally unrelated to the trunk? I think the white trash bag being in or near the dumpster is a big problem for LE. That is just my opinion of course.

I am aware of the flys that were in the trunk, when George opened the trunk and the towyard guy took the white trash bag and placed it near a dumpster, then I think he placed it in the dumpster a little later after George had left. What I am asking is would the insects in the dumpster prior to the white trash bag being placed in or near the dumpster infiltrate the white trash bag thus contaminating the white trash bag with insects totally unrelated to the trunk? I think the white trash bag being in or near the dumpster is a big problem for LE. That is just my opinion of course.

I do not remember SB's exact quotes from his questioning, but he initially said he tossed the plastic bag full of garbage over the fence separating the car from the dumpster area with a finger, like "fling".

When he went back later (before he knew LE had already taken bag) he said he was standing in the dumpster digging around.

Whether bag landed in dumpster or near dumpster, if contents of bag had attracted certain forensically significant insects while it was in the trunk for nearly two weeks, it seems scientists would be able to differentiate numbers and levels of even the same species from that bag based on time spent in said bag. Those that had been inside the bag for the 2+ weeks the car was in impound vs those that got a bag of edibles tossed at them which they opportunistically fed on for less than 24 hours.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noizewarr
Back