2009.5.04 Change of Venue and tainting the Jury Pool

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So true, but why?????????? He needs to take his squirrel and head down the road. How can he keep popping up with motions and B.S---Media---make him go away. The man CAN NOT do a DP trial------but yet he is still doin it. WHY??? When will he be made to sit down and shut up? He cannot do the trial-------well----lets get somebody up to bat who can. Do you think maybe there is nobody to take over. I thought he was in trouble with the Bar. When they gonna make him step away. I'm drowning here. Must be something I'm not understanding. If they don't do something then I'm just gonna have to get away from this case. I am so sick of watching peeps who have been out and out lying. Have never seen so many slimy peeps in one spot.

Only at a hatchery. But they are only slimy for about an hour and then they dry off. The peeps you are talking about, they will NEVER dry off. IMO:chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken:

The A's are "doing there life" and I'm glad it isn't my life! I did my lK correspondence and hope my words ring true with him. Early on in the saga a fellow member shared with me that if the change of venue were to go to North Fla. that those people think like hill people and wouldn't take kindly to kC's actions and they would have her tar and feathered before trial was over. Those were not my words. By JB pandering to Miami Dade citizens in this manner to manipulate a jury he feels will be more sympathetic or they would be more ignorant to the facts of the case tells me and I'm sure others that his client is guilty as charged and JB is grasping at a ditch effort. Sounds like Orlando might be the best place to nest for trial. JB needs to get on with working on his defense tactics, strategy with his crew because lately it seems due to all the latest press releases questioning his charactor that they will have amoumtain to climb to prove anything but the crime she is charged with.

Also, I got a kick out of JB asking for a retraction

I chuckled at that request for a retraction as well, Mamabear1963! I actually hopped up and down in my chair when I read that WFTV stated they have no intention of retracting it since it's the truth. :)

Team Baez and Team Anthony are doing more to shoot themselves and KC in the foot with each passing day.

Do Baez and his mouthpieces really expect us to believe a word that comes out of their mouths? They can try to act indignant and demand retractions but most of us believe what we read from reputable news sources.

Team Baez and Team Anthony have zero credibility at this point but they can't seem to get that through their collective heads.

I don't think they are going to get a change of venue. Oh so many reasons...

Baez fought the gag order.
Defense lawyers have been all over tv doing interviews.
The A's all over tv doing interviews and have courted publicity by having a public memorial (yet no private funeral at all.)
This case is national news not just confined to local media.
Due to Sunshine Laws the same info is readily available to any jury pool anywhere in Florida.
Moving the trial will be a costly burden to the community.
Moving the trial will delay the start significantly.
The citizens of Orlando have the right to sit in judgement over "one of their own" who - I might add - has cost them a pretty penny with searches for daughter.

Is the prosecution able to oppose COV? If so I hope they submit tapes or even just lists of all the national and local media appearances by defense lawyers. That plus Baez opposing the gag order = no deal. I just want this stuff on the record along with Strickland's judgement so it can't come back on appeal.

I would be interested in knowing exactly how many times since this case began that Baez (or a representative of his) has contacted the media through a press release. How can one find out this information? Contacting media (wonder if they keep a specific file)?

It is relatively easy (but time consuming) to list all the times that Baez or "team member" has appeared on camera or in print commenting on the case, but that could be easily agrued that the media was chasing HIM for comment. I am just curious as to how many times BAEZ contacted the media directly through press releases, etc. to get the media's attention on him.

I think it would be interesting to compare to the number of times vs. the times the SA office has done the same (very infrequently to my knowledge?)

Also wonder if any representative from the media (or their attorney) will attend the COV hearing to object as we have seen them do in the past (re: gag order hearing)

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/26/caylee.anthony.gag.order/index.html

This article is old (relating to gag order) but a reminder of Judge Strickland's comments about the media involvement are interesting and I don't think the SA office has done anything that would make Strickland reverse his thinking along these lines. I am seriously doubting that a COV will granted...

A few snippets...

Florida 9th Circuit Judge Stan Strickland said he did not think a gag order would stop the media whirlwind surrounding the case and he could not find the publicity would hurt Anthony's right to a fair trial.

"While the court shares the state attorney's concerns about the amount and nature of the publicity, the legal standard has not been met," Strickland wrote in his ruling.

"The state attorney's office argued that the defense team, as well as the Anthony family's lust for the 'limelight,' may well sabotage the potential jury pool when this case is ultimately tried," the judge continued.

"While this argument has some appeal, it does not rise to the level of being a serious and imminent threat to the administration of justice. Further, this court is confident that even with a 'gag order' the publicity and media attention would continue unabated."

In his order, however, Strickland reminded the attorneys that Florida bar rules prohibit "extra-judicial comments" that are likely to prejudice the trial. He stressed that "patently false statements" made with the intent to pollute the jury pool will be referred to the Florida bar for disciplinary action.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/26/caylee.anthony.gag.order/index.html

This article is old (relating to gag order) but a reminder of Judge Strickland's comments about the media involvement are interesting and I don't think the SA office has done anything that would make Strickland reverse his thinking along these lines. I am seriously doubting that a COV will granted...

A few snippets...

Florida 9th Circuit Judge Stan Strickland said he did not think a gag order would stop the media whirlwind surrounding the case and he could not find the publicity would hurt Anthony's right to a fair trial.

"While the court shares the state attorney's concerns about the amount and nature of the publicity, the legal standard has not been met," Strickland wrote in his ruling.

"The state attorney's office argued that the defense team, as well as the Anthony family's lust for the 'limelight,' may well sabotage the potential jury pool when this case is ultimately tried," the judge continued.

"While this argument has some appeal, it does not rise to the level of being a serious and imminent threat to the administration of justice. Further, this court is confident that even with a 'gag order' the publicity and media attention would continue unabated."

In his order, however, Strickland reminded the attorneys that Florida bar rules prohibit "extra-judicial comments" that are likely to prejudice the trial. He stressed that "patently false statements" made with the intent to pollute the jury pool will be referred to the Florida bar for disciplinary action.

Color added by me.

Thanks for reminding us of what Strickland said.

That last sentence is very interesting. Maybe revealing of the reason for
Strickland's complaint against Baez.

Well Jose - can't say he didn't warn ya.

Color added by me.

Thanks for reminding us of what Strickland said.

That last sentence is very interesting. Maybe revealing of the reason for
Strickland's complaint against Baez.

Well Jose - can't say he didn't warn ya.

Same thoughts I had when i read it. JB seems to make statements that border falseness. Most of it claims against the SA. Blaming others for stuff that is his responsibility. It's highly possible that he stepped over the line in his zeal to paint a different picture of things. Not thinking he would really be called on it.

I don't understand JB's whining about the media exposure of the case- while back in Dec., when Caylee's remains were found, it appears that JB was spending considerable time talking about the case with GR, so that GR could report on his show.
See: onthescene.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/12/16/geraldo-on-caylee-anthony

What I find most intriguing is- GR called KC a *advertiser censored*- I can just imagine the conversations JB & GR have in private, on the phone or on the boat.
It just seems something is unethical about this whole business.....JB told GR about KC's reaction in detail and her needing a sedative. Why does he feel it necessary to 'suppress it now?
This article tells me that JB doesn't care one iota about KC- it's all about him and his ego...
This is just my opinion.....

I have a feeling that not to far in our future we are going to see a more firm JS in his court room. He has shown patience decorum with J B more than he has to do with prosecution. I feel JS was very aware of JB's childish smirking ways at the last hearing when once again he stated his client is innocent when the hearing wasn't about guilt or innocense and prosecution had to stand up before the judge to address this and the judge had to make his comment of something to the effect that bickering would not be tolerated. I still feel JS was really directing his frustration out at JB. With all the new flubs were hearing about in JB's circles I can't imagine a judge putting up with this kind of incompetencs. JS must be having talks in his chambers with his peers questiong JB's ethics & competance. I wish the courts would put their white wigs on and get this train wreck of a defense on track.

A new doc I got yesterday, Exhibits, it was part of the Amended Change Of Venue motion filed 9/17/09. A 5-page summary of all the media stories Baez thought relevant. Printed out, the stories would be a couple hundred pages, I thought this summary was sufficient, as it was website addresses.

A few posts above is a Media Report I got in May as part of the original motion, it is also in this motion.

Amended COV Exhibits 9/17/09 (Not put up by Media)
http://www.filedropper.com/amendedcovexhibits

Amended COV Motion 9/17/09
http://www.filedropper.com/09amendedchangeofvenuemotion

Casey's COV Affidavit May 2009
http://www.filedropper.com/caseycovaffidavit

And here's the original COV motion, filed in May 2009, if anybody wants to compare:
http://www.filedropper.com/changeofvenuemotion050409

A new doc I got yesterday, Exhibits, it was part of the Amended Change Of Venue motion filed 9/17/09. A 5-page summary of all the media stories Baez thought relevant. Printed out, the stories would be a couple hundred pages, I thought this summary was sufficient, as it was website addresses.

A few posts above is a Media Report I got in May as part of the original motion, it is also in this motion.

Amended COV Exhibits 9/17/09 (Not put up by Media)
http://www.filedropper.com/amendedcovexhibits

Amended COV Motion 9/17/09
http://www.filedropper.com/09amendedchangeofvenuemotion

Casey's COV Affidavit May 2009
http://www.filedropper.com/caseycovaffidavit

And here's the original COV motion, filed in May 2009, if anybody wants to compare:
http://www.filedropper.com/changeofvenuemotion050409

If the defense team has a problem with the media, WTH did they fight the gag order...

Talk about having your cake and eating it too :banghead::banghead::banghead:

that she wanted the trial moved to South Beach so that when she's found innocent she 'can run out of the courthouse into the ocean'

or something like that quote? I swear i remember it on Nancy Grace or something a few months ago....anyone else remember?

Earlier today on TruTV I watched a guy talk with Brad Conway and they were discussing the tainting of the jury pool, and how South Florida might be a better location to have the trial.

What EXACTLY would be considered "tainting"?

What is the difference between jury tampering and jury tainting?

On the TODAY show Cindy Anthony said there was evidence "out there" that hasn't been investigated. How would she know that, and the authorities wouldn't? Is this an attempt to taint the jury pool? Is she SERIOUS?

What has been done to "TAINT" the jury pool that is only in Central Florida, and not reported in South Florida?

Didn't the judge rule on a change of venue already?

Earlier today on TruTV I watched a guy talk with Brad Conway and they were discussing the tainting of the jury pool, and how South Florida might be a better location to have the trial.

What EXACTLY would be considered "tainting"?

What is the difference between jury tampering and jury tainting?

On the TODAY show Cindy Anthony said there was evidence "out there" that hasn't been investigated. How would she know that, and the authorities wouldn't? Is this an attempt to taint the jury pool? Is she SERIOUS?

What has been done to "TAINT" the jury pool that is only in Central Florida, and not reported in South Florida?

The Defense and the Anthony's are the only ones doing a media blitz, tainting the jury pool :Benny_monkeysmiliesMOO.:Benny_monkeysmilies

I've wondered if the defense's lame attempts to cast an innocent man, Roy Kronk, as Caylee's murderer, could actually be considered to be jury pool tainting.

I've wondered if the defense's lame attempts to cast an innocent man, Roy Kronk, as Caylee's murderer, could actually be considered to be jury pool tainting.

So once Casey is convicted, can RK sue someone (the defense team) for defamation? :waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buzzerd