2009.5.04 Change of Venue and tainting the Jury Pool

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't it be way easier and less expensive to just select a jury in another county or area of FL, and bus the jury in for the length of the trial? I assume this jury will be sequestered no matter where it's held, so the only out-of-area expenses would be when picking the jury.

Blaise

It would be far easier, less costly, and in this case, would probably work. I do think that in this day and age with the Internet and television true crime programs, it's going to be nearly impossible to find jurors who aren't somewhat familiar with the Anthony case and have preconceived opinions about it. The goal will be to find jurors who, even though they're knowledgeable about the case, can be impartial and judge the case on the evidence presented.

I live in central Virginia and almost nobody here has heard of it, and if they have, their familiarity is a vague "is that the little girl that went missing in Florida?" Remember, we sleuths are a niche market. :)

Here in southern California, if you mention the Anthony case, people do know about it, saying "that's the little girl in Florida that her mother didn't report missing for 31 days." So there is some knowledge of the case, although they don't know the details. I was surprised by one person who only loosely follows the case..............she said, "I think the meter reader did it."

Why move? The state..... Her parents...... Her attorney ........... all have already held a trial in the news....... She won't get a fair trial no matter where they move her. and YES I think shes guilty.............Guilty as hell........... But I don't agree with how much has slipped out in this case..... IMO someone could ADMITT to the death of little caylee and people would STILL say noooooo wayyyyyyyy not true! Casey did it. EVEN if they had proof they did it. I just cant believe how much has leaked out in this case. I have never seen anything like it. We should not IMO have cases tried in the public eye like this case has been. JMO

Leaked??? You do know about The Sunshine Law in Florida, don't you? :rolleyes:

I am in Florida but on the far west end of it in Pensacola and I think everyone here has been keeping tabs on this case.
I think its been Cindy and George who has people watching it so much by the way they have acted all during this murder charge on their daughter.

I couldn't agree more! It's been the bizarre antics of the Anthony family that have kept the interest in this case. People tune into NG or other news programs, just see what's the latest thing they've done.

I don't think a change of venue will do a dang bit of good.
But, let Baez do what Baez does best. :D

:crazy: We should just leave the guy alone, he needs to do something in his office since he's no longer 1st chair. ;)

There isn't a piece of land in all the USA that does not know what this girl did to her own daughter.

Here in southern California, if you mention the Anthony case, people do know about it, saying "that's the little girl in Florida that her mother didn't report missing for 31 days." So there is some knowledge of the case, although they don't know the details. I was surprised by one person who only loosely follows the case..............she said, "I think the meter reader did it."

Thanks! That helps. So, funny. Guess there might be peeps out there not addicted as we are.

I couldn't agree more! It's been the bizarre antics of the Anthony family that have kept the interest in this case. People tune into NG or other news programs, just see what's the latest thing they've done.

So very true---but there are lots of peeps don't even know who NG and the others are. I had never heard of her fore Caylee came into my life. I had never watched CNN/HLN. That was news stations and I could have cared less. Life has e-nuff mess in it, without bringing it into my livin room. Didn't even watch local news. I can't be the only peep out there don't care about the news.

Poot--I hope I'm not off in left field----already fergot what thread I'm on.

BTW---Thangs have changed for me now----HLN is on here when I wake up til I go to bed. G/D got upset Sat night cuz I had it on HLN and I had promised her Sat and Sun to watch what ever she wants. LMAO

Alachua County works for me!!! :D Just a trek up I75!

Or Pinellas or Hillsboro Counties. An hour and a half away at most. I would love it if it came here to Pinellas County. We actually haven't had much news on it at all, can you believe?

Well, it's after 5. Does that mean he decided against the presser? :waitasec:

I wouldn't want to do a presser either after the OS articles yesterday and today LOL!

I'm in Florida...Kathi Belich was on a little bit ago live, saying that he had filed the motion, and he was speaking with the press. Then my mom changed the channel, so I didn't hear what he had to say (probably a lot of nothing, anyway)

Marion County would be great. We "be" big-time; we hosted Wesley Snipes' trial! :crazy:

I agree...bring it on!

'Course, I wouldn't have a snowball's chance in 'you-know-where' of getting past voir dire.

I think Jose is hoping the trial will be moved to the Miami area, this could come back to bit him in the ***, in that the trial could be moved to a more rural area where juries are historically more conservative. I think his best bet would be staying where he's at, but its JAB we are talking about !

Ding ding ding, you are the winner! Jose wants it moved to South Florida.

Defense Says Miami-Dade Co. Has Seen Less Media Coverage

http://www.wesh.com/news/19359753/d...orl_break&ts=T&tmi=orl_break_1_04020105042009

question:
why oh why do we need a presser for this????? why does he need to call attention to this???? Can't he just e-mail the motion????? Why is everything a production for this team??????? :furious::furious::furious: Would calling a presser for this make the change???????

It is very simple.

Jose Baez has lost his gravy train and he knows it. Once the LEAD chair takes over the DP case, Jose fades into the background. It only serves him to get his face out a few more times before the lead wants the media & to handle the future conferences.

Baez is in this for himself - since day 1. It's all about the money.

With respect to change of venue - it backfired on Darlie Routier years ago - she's on death row in TX! Maybe this is a good thing for justice. All the world will be watching no matter where this is - I hope it backfires and she receives the DP.

Sad thing is, even that sentence won't wipe any smug off of KC's mug.

JB is asking for the trial to be moved to "south Florida"...I guess Miami would be nice for JB and Casey...Does the location a trial is moved to need to have similar demographics as the county where the crime was committed ? Can't they move the trial, if it is approved, to a less populated county where the court schuedules are not so packed ?

From a South Florida native I say - BRING IT ON JOSE!!! Remember he worked in the Miami Dade system for a few years - so me thinks he thinks he's got some "friends" down here. hahahahahahahahaha

If it gets moved to Miami - I'll be there with bells on. Won't be able to go everyday - but you can bet I'll get there for a few of them. I was hoping Broward county because the courthouse is five minutes from me.

But the other poster that said with this being a DP case - automatic appeal - so Strickland might just deny the motion anyway. It does bother me that this is going to cost our state $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - we are all in really bad shape as it is. It burns my muffins that my taxpayer money is going to pay for this but that's life.

WFTV's 6 PM report on this is a MUST-SEE if they put it up. According to Kathi B, Baez timed his news conference so it would be a the top of the 5 PM newscasts, and when WFTV wouldn't show it live he got mad (I should add that WESH is the only station to show it live, and they cut it off half-way thru due to audio problems).

Kathi then tried to ask Baez ONE question afterwards, which he refused to answer and kept on walking, getting on his cell phone. The question? "How do you explain your complaints of publicity when you're the one holding news conferences all the time?"

GO KATHI! I wish she would have been the one interviewing LBK this morning.... heh

Baez also filed an affidavit from Casey herself complaining about the news coverage and pointing out WFTV specifically, such as when Kathi yelled at Casey "Did you kill Caylee?"

That affidavit is a MUST SEE!!!

Oh yeah, Kathi also said that Baez faxed the motion to several reporters even BEFORE he filed it - although she wasn't one of them of course....

I heart Kathi Belich

Also, apparently, a DP trial is too expensive in JB's eyes but a change of venue isn't...typical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico