2010.02.16 Document Release: Stain on Trunk Liner

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hello WS :)

I recently saw a episode of Forensic Files where a man had killed a young woman and put her in the back of his pick up truck. He took her to a bridge and threw her off trying to make it look like she committed suicide. The man had cleaned the truck but blood evidence was found under the truck liner.

And, I can't count the number of (real) crime shows where the perp tried to clean the evidence. But, LE can still get samples and the fact that where there was evidence was tried to be cleaned only cements that the perp was guilty.

I see this happening in this case. I think the cleaning happened on top of the wheel well but that some(decomp) had leaked beneath. Over and over again, I have seen (on these shows) people get convicted of murder with much, much less evidence/information than they have in this case against Casey Anthony.

This is ot, but do you think LE was "watching" Casey when she was out on bond?

...jmo...

I haven't read every single post today, but I keep seeing posts saying they would like to see forensics results on the items pictured (including the spare tire cover). I'm pretty sure we got all those results a long time ago...:waitasec: IIRC, the results on the spare tire cover were...no blood, no useable DNA, no anything helpful. :banghead:

I haven't read every single post today, but I keep seeing posts saying they would like to see forensics results on the items pictured (including the spare tire cover). I'm pretty sure we got all those results a long time ago...:waitasec: IIRC, the results on the spare tire cover were...no blood, no useable DNA, no anything helpful. :banghead:

You are correct... they also had residue of chloroform present. The volatile fatty acid, butyric acid, was found on the trunk carpet.

All of these gruesome stains are sickening. We know that george, the expert detailer never would have allowed staining like that.

BTW, does anyone know if there actually was a spare tire in the well?

Someone tried to clean that trunk, that's for sure.

You know how when you steam clean, you get those chunks of carpet and hair that bunch up?
I can see in picture 1 .. the chunks of hair and trunk fibers where someone scrubbed.

Not sure how else to explain it.

ETA sorry if someone else already said this. I haven't read any of the posts yet.

For the record, I don't think that the stain is an outline of Caylee. First is because of the size. The stain covers less than 1/4 of the board. A two year old, even if bent into the fetal position would take up more of the space IMO. Second is because if the board was lying over and against Caylee's body, there would be voids in the stain, where parts of Caylee's body weren't against the board. For instance the neck area would never come into contact with the board. Third liquids drip down. Which means that the decomp liquid would mainly be under Caylee's remains, not on top. Only the part that was in actual contact with her remains would have been stained.

If you think about it, if you have ever tried to wipe up a large amount of liquid in a porus material, you know that the liquid doesn't stay in a perfect round spot. The edges will be a bit wavy where it absorbs better in some places than others. To me what this shows is where something (a leaking bag with Caylee's remains in it for instance) were on top of the board for a period of time. And over a period of time, with the liquid dripping down (it wouldn't be a gush) it was absorbed by the board. Then over time the liquid would dry and evaporate leaving some of the body's chemicals in the board material. Since the body contains salts and other materials, I believe that is what is causing the whitish outline, it is a concentration of the salts.

Very good theory. Also keep in mind that Casey had powdered Arm & Hammer laundry detergent in that trunk. If those aren't salt stains, then perhaps it's residue from trying to wash that stain out with Arm & Hammer? Because this is an item that Casey couldn't just toss in the washer. She scrubbed that spot (or someone did) and let it air dry.

You know how when you steam clean, you get those chunks of carpet and hair that bunch up?
I can see in picture 1 .. the chunks of hair and trunk fibers where someone scrubbed.

ETA sorry if someone else already said this. I haven't read any of the posts yet.

I thought that was the reason LE collected the shop vac. But then I thought I read that the contents were not tested. Maybe someone can jog my memory.

Also, the white ring around the stain could be hydrogen peroxide. Nurses use it to remove blood stains. That would also kill DNA.

I know exactly what you mean. I have a carpet shampooer that does this. I also get wads of carpet fibers in the shampooer and clean it out after each use.

Hello WS :)

And, I can't count the number of (real) crime shows where the perp tried to clean the evidence. But, LE can still get samples and the fact that where there was evidence was tried to be cleaned only cements that the perp was guilty.

I see this happening in this case. I think the cleaning happened on top of the wheel well but that some(decomp) had leaked beneath.
I totally agree with this statement. It's interesting that the stain seems to have a "salty" white ring or residue. Most laundry detergents and household cleaners contain high percentage of salt. If only the lab results accompanied these photos! :banghead:

Okay, that makes sense. So that is what picture #10 is. I could see the hairs when I blew it up but could not figure how hair would be in the fibers like that. Thanks

I would like to know if the carpet and carboard/(wood?) was wet when LE took the car and how long it took before they processed it.

I think the decomp leaked from the bag Caylee was in and went through the liner creating a stain and then onto the cardboard like layer which is kind of slick on top and not very porous. So it rolled off at the back edge where over time most of it was absorbed and spread into the porous bottom of the cardboard kind of like a sponge. Some of it rolled around the lip of the trunk and this would be the stain showing around the edge and some leaked into the middle hole where it was also absorbed on the bottom.

Oh I agree. But based on the FBI report prior to any testing on these objects, the fact that these pictures have been withheld for so long, plus if this is what it appears to be how damning will it be for the Princess. Look at the pictures following the series. This piece of evidence went into a container and was sealed with evidence tape. There was something on it!!!! JMO
...besides...George mentions the stain...and he would have said it was made by "yada, yada, yada" seeing that he took care of the car. If it wasn't new to him, I'm sure he would have stated as such.

Not sure if this means anything, but I cranked the color saturation and tint up and now the trunk carpet looks completely different.
Trunk2Released2162010-1.jpg

Trunk3Released2162010-1.jpg

Trunk5Released2162010.jpg

...besides...George mentions the stain...and he would have said it was made by "yada, yada, yada" seeing that he took care of the car. If it wasn't new to him, I'm sure he would have stated as such.

GA also said he leaned down and sniffed the stain. He knew what it was.

GA also said he leaned down and sniffed the stain. He knew what it was.

I remember him saying that but if the smell was as bad as everyone says, you wouldn't need to lean over to get a whiff. I think he's trying to make it sound like he didn't think it was much of a smell.

Not sure if this means anything, but I cranked the color saturation up and now the trunk carpet looks completely different.
Trunk2Released2162010-1.jpg

Trunk3Released2162010-1.jpg

Trunk4Released2162010.jpg

Wow - that's a pretty amazing difference.

There is a lot that one can see with the naked eye that doesn't show up in photos, depending on exposure, light source and color. The info is there in the photo and can be seen with enhancement, as your photos show. Digital photography makes the corrections easy for anyone to do - if they are smart enough to think of it - LIKE YOU!

Thanks for showing us.

I remember him saying that but if the smell was as bad as everyone says, you wouldn't need to lean over to get a whiff. I think he's trying to make it sound like he didn't think it was much of a smell.

I dunno, he described it as being pretty nasty when he got close-And it might be that the receptors in his nose had their fill of the scent molecules, and were starting to tune out. He had to get closer to get the same effect-Or he could get closer after getting used to the initial overwhelming whiff, to see if he could discern anything further from the smell (sweetness of trash, fecal smell, onion smell, etc.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18
Back