DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my understanding of a few things being discussed:
The money:
$200,000 - from ABC
5,000 - from an unnamed donor
70,000 - donated from former defense team attorney Todd Macaluso
70,000 - from Lyon's law clinic (a charity that solicits donations). Andrea stated the $22,000 listed in the affidavit came out of this $70,000. So, that is a total of $345,000. The affidavit listed $111,000 as being spent. Baez was asked about the difference and he hemmed and hawwed and said it went to expenses like investigation, travel, transcripts. He is supposed to provide an accounting to the court, but I did not hear a time limit given to do that.

The secret evidence:
SA said they are done investigating and it has already been released to the defense.
The judge gave Baez 15 days to review the material before it is released to the public. Baez can they file a motion to have it sealed if he so wishes but he must inform the media because they have the right to argue for its release.

Thanx for your post, I was still thinking it was 275,000.

Wow 50 pages!!! It seems I missed one of the best hearings thus far in this case.
I don't think I'll be able to read this whole thread..
Thanks to all who were able to watch the hearing live today and post about it...

If the state takes responsibility for providing KC with "an adequate representation"...what are the chances they will find Baez... inadequate?

I bet Depaul is going to get crushed in the wake of disclosure that their own law clinic fund was depleted for a FL. case!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Might explain why AL looks so dejected. Now her rep is tarnished. See Andrea........it's the KC curse. How responsible was it to use funds for a CHicago law clinic to work on a FL. case. THIS is going to really hurt her!!

I am all for donations...
Yet, If I donated to a local legal clinic I would EXPECT that money to remain local and not fund a case in another state..:twocents:

My family and I just discussed a whole different angle here. If all this money was available in 2008, wouldn't you think a "loving" mother whos daughter was kidnapped would plead with her family or attorneys to offer up the money to the kidnappers to bring back her daughter. Then in turn, why would you need the defense attorneys? I do remember a large reward in the beginning. Does anyone know who put up that reward money? Was it KC? Out of this picture selling money with ABC?

Has anyone read the latest up in Today's News?
ABC says the picture deal was brokered BY BAEZ, not Casey.

"I asked ABC News if the deal was done with Casey Anthony.

The deal was done with an attorney representing several owners of copyrighted content, ABC News spokeswoman Cathie Levine said. That attorney is Baez, she added."<snipped>

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/ent...y+%28TV+Guy%29
Seems to me the owner(s) include the As. Could the rest of the money have gone to them? Just thinking...

Wow. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't RH say that this would be an ethics violation?

So, what are we looking at here? Possible ethics violation for JB? Possible perjury by JB (his testimony today in court)? And how about GA and CA. I would think that the other "owners of copyrighted content" would almost certainly be them. Oh no, couldn't be right? They testified in their depos that they had received no money except for the 48 Hours show. But then again, maybe they "donated" their share to to the defense.

Whole crowd makes me absolutely sick! And to think it's no where near over yet. What else!
Reminds me of the "shell" con game.

Cheney Mason is one tough, experienced Defense Attorney! He is probably one of the best, if not the best, in Orlando. To put it simply, he is everything that JB is NOT :)

I was particularly struck by JB's body language and answer when CM asked him if he as the 'lead Counsel'. JB hesitated, rolled his eyes a little, made a face and said 'for all intents and purposes'. JB is not a happy camper now a days. He has to know that he is going to wind up sitting pretty far back at the defense table. I think that might be why Judge Strickland did not cut the defense much slack at all today. He knows CM, may have even presided over a few trial where CM was lead counsel. He will now expect the defense to know what they are doing - and hold them to it. He was not pleased when CM tried to imply a 'friendship' with him.

Oh, yeah, things just got a lot more interesting with CM on board. Of course he is doing this Pro Bono - it's a lot cheaper than buying ad time on TV or space in the Yellow Pages or newspaper.

Have not made it all the way through the thread yet - but this post by Macushla bears repeating.

And for some reason, after watching Cheney in court today, and then watching him at their presser afterwards - I had the sudden premonition that he will be hospitalized before the trial. I have NO IDEA where that came from... but he is near retirement.

I am the only one who was surprised that JB could mention the biologists doing an autopsy and laugh at the same time??? I am so frushtrated at the defense for playing stupid at today's hearing.....it was about seeking indigency and yet they were not prepared to be accountable in the least about where all this money has gone. The more they explain the more questions I have and the more confused I become.....

OMG! THAT'S THEIR DEFENSE STRATEGY!!!!

I basically hit every nail on the head during my BlogTalk radio interview this weekend. You should watch that.

p.s. Mason was clearly taking jabs at me in his interview after the hearing, he shouldn't of done that. I punch back.
Care to paraphrase what CM said? I'm still trying to catch up.

And may I say...with all due respect Mr. Hornsby...there were many here who believed that JB brokered the deal from the getgo...regardless of what Baez said. Many tried to get msm interested in the story...it surely wasn't from a lack of trying to get it out...but it's out there now. Let's see how long it stays out.

And that just raised this case to whole new level of creepiness! *shudder*
I can tell you one thing, there will be no Disney ending to this case. I'm thinking like original fairytale endings, which were as far from the Disney versions as you could get.
Why would Disney even want to be associated with someone who is accused of murdering her own child?

I just read Casey Anthony wrote 258 pages of notes and letters to another woman inmate. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-casey-anthony-jail-letters-20100318,0,1826969.story

I missed the hearing and have been trying to catch up but I just want to know how the heck KC met another inmate when she has supposedly been in solitary confinement since the first day she was arrested? Did I miss something? Does she get to go out and play with other inmates during her 1 hour out of her cell every day?

And......how did she get letters out to another inmate?

It just said the other prisoner was also in protective custody. If what we are reading today is correct it's possible she is the wife of a local Police Officer, also under arrest. Letters were apparently exchanged with the assistance of Jail Personnel.. whoever the person is, has now been transferred to a Federal Prison.. The contents did not contain any confession but were felt to be 'so explosive' that they needed to keep them quiet for further investigation. The Judge gave the Defense another ?5 days to review them before they are released..

I know KA new attorney Mr Mason is a well respected defence attorney and he is suppose to be the best in Florida and seems to think he is gonna get KA acquitted all Im gonna say is check mate. I know he is good but no way do I believe that she is gonna walk no matter how good of a lawyer she has.She might not get the DP but she isnt gonna just walk away. That 31 days is gonna do her in plus the other evidence the state has. Watching how he talked to the judge and presented himself he seems bumptious to me.

Question for anyone who can answer or wants to. When Baez was under oath today and was asked by Mr. George about who the experts were that the defense has retained, Baez didn't want to name names. Now, if the defense had handed over their witness list as was ordered by the judge before now (if I am not mistaken that was ordered already and they failed to do so by the deadline) then wouldn't the SAs already know who the experts were? In other words if the defense had followed the courts ruling then the "cat would have been out of the bag" before now. So why is the defense fighting so hard to keep those names a secret from the public?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member