2010.03.18 KC's indigency hearing #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, Cheney has appeared on several local and network channels chastising the Anthony Defense team and is frequently quoted by the Orlando Sentinel.

To me it is ironic that he has now become Baez's white knight.
Thanks...I was wondering about that. Someone should replay those interviews and reprint those articles, don't ya think?

I don't know about the whole thing. AL also said something about buying computers. Since when does a client pay for that? That is an office expense. Tried to get everyone calculating on what we can remember so far, but we will just have to wait 15 days or so. I think it is very interesting, will be anyway. Especially considering most retained defense attorney will charge a flat fee for a case, not hourly, say murder is $250,000. That is it. No billing for phone calls, letters, motions, conversations, crime scene visits. A defense attorney being paid by the state for a murder case will bill according to the billing laws and hours allowed in the state, including expenses, but the attorneys never dive to far in the expense realm as those are cheaper than the hour realm and they can only reach x amount of dollars. Meaning, JB probably has no records of expenses except for any experts, of course any that did not say I am here pro bono "for now".
Thanks...but there should be a record of cancelled checks, no? I doubt very much he paid in cash. You would think if he had x number of dollars he'd keep an eye on the money flying out of his client's account, especially as it seemed that he was representing she took up most if not all of his time.

I didn't watch the hearing live, I watched the videoclips on WFTV's website. I couldn't make out anything that the person on the phone was saying, the audio simply is too hard to hear even with the audio turned up on my computer and the audio turned up on the WFTV's website.

As to the discrepancy between the listed amounts that have been paid out to the defense team (lawyers, experts, and whatever) and the amount that was stated that the defense has gotten -- $200,000 from ABC, $5,000 from an anonymous donor, $70,000 from T.M., how much of it is taxable to Casey Anthony, how much of it would be considered as her money? All, some? Would she have to file a U.S. tax return with all of that as her income and pay taxes on it, or would JB have to pay her taxes as a trustee of those monies?

Wouldn't that large amount of money whether it's $200,000 paid by ABC be considered Casey's income and wouldn't a big part of it have to be paid in taxes to the IRS and could that account for the difference in what has been spent on the lawyers and defense and what came in to the defense?

Question for anyone who can answer or wants to. When Baez was under oath today and was asked by Mr. George about who the experts were that the defense has retained, Baez didn't want to name names. Now, if the defense had handed over their witness list as was ordered by the judge before now (if I am not mistaken that was ordered already and they failed to do so by the deadline) then wouldn't the SAs already know who the experts were? In other words if the defense had followed the courts ruling then the "cat would have been out of the bag" before now. So why is the defense fighting so hard to keep those names a secret from the public?

Judge S. asked him who all he would need in order to counter the state's experts, and he proceeded to list...the state's experts.

Thanks...but there should be a record of cancelled checks, no? I doubt very much he paid in cash. You would think if he had x number of dollars he'd keep an eye on the money flying out of his client's account, especially as it seemed that he was representing she took up most if not all of his time.

Maybe he is at the office now making (cough cough) looking for it now:crazy:

Judge S. asked him who all he would need in order to counter the state's experts, and he proceeded to list...the state's experts.

So in other words the defense has no experts of their own? If they have no experts of their own then how has any of the money been spent on retainers for the experts? We know that Dr. Lee was supposed to be an expert but he wasn't getting paid, was he? It all just makes no sense to me at all. Why go into court for a hearing on if your client will be declared indigent and NOT take all of your documents about how much money you (the defense) have received, how much money you have spent and exactly where that money went?!? The defense had to have known that the judge would be asking for those things.

Had another thought.......Baez claimed that the defense has paid money to the PIs used. What PI is he talking about? He certainly hasn't paid D Casey any money so it can't be him.

It just said the other prisoner was also in protective custody. If what we are reading today is correct it's possible she is the wife of a local Police Officer, also under arrest. Letters were apparently exchanged with the assistance of Jail Personnel.. whoever the person is, has now been transferred to a Federal Prison.. The contents did not contain any confession but were felt to be 'so explosive' that they needed to keep them quiet for further investigation. The Judge gave the Defense another ?5 days to review them before they are released..

they have 15 days

Thanks...I was wondering about that. Someone should replay those interviews and reprint those articles, don't ya think?

Here's a couple of links from the time capsule where CM comments on the case:

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/18025942/detail.html

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/1/22/new_motion_hearing_scheduled_in_casey_anthony_case.html

Here's a quote from CM from the second article: "To give an idea of how much trials can cost, Mason said he wouldn't consider taking this case unless he got $1 million up front."

And yet now he's in court today working probono? I hope someone forces him to eat his own words January 2009. :waitasec:

Sorry. I screwed up. I meant to copy the link to the second article. I realized I copied the first link twice. I'll try to find the second link again where CM stated he wouldn't take the case for less than $ 1 mil up front.

Edited again to add the link to the second article

I missed the hearing and have been trying to catch up but I just want to know how the heck KC met another inmate when she has supposedly been in solitary confinement since the first day she was arrested? Did I miss something? Does she get to go out and play with other inmates during her 1 hour out of her cell every day?

And......how did she get letters out to another inmate?

An Orange County guard is in big trouble, from what I understand. Playing the middle man passing the notes.

iirc henry lee also said at the beginning that he was working probono too. where did he go? and the reichs lady as well. but i cant remember if she said she was working probono. so thats at least one very expensive expert that said they werent gonna get paid.

So in other words the defense has no experts of their own? If they have no experts of their own then how has any of the money been spent on retainers for the experts? We know that Dr. Lee was supposed to be an expert but he wasn't getting paid, was he? It all just makes no sense to me at all. Why go into court for a hearing on if your client will be declared indigent and NOT take all of your documents about how much money you (the defense) have received, how much money you have spent and exactly where that money went?!? The defense had to have known that the judge would be asking for those things.

Had another thought.......Baez claimed that the defense has paid money to the PIs used. What PI is he talking about? He certainly hasn't paid D Casey any money so it can't be him.
...and from what I gather reading here, he didn't want to be pinned down to having spent any money on a PI (insert DC). I guess he didn't want to go on record because of the complaint DC filed? Whatever happened to that anyway?

PS-ok...I'm finally to the end of the thread...and all I can say...I don't know if I can bring myself to watch the actual hearing. My head is spinning...truly...just from reading. IMO this has gotten way out of control (duh, ya think?). CM's appearance reminds me of a barker at a side-show. Enough cameos!! Let justice be served for this poor little girl. Time to get the egos out of the courtroom and move on with getting this case to trial. JMHO

Here's a couple of links from the time capsule where CM comments on the case:

Here's a quote from CM from the second article: "To give an idea of how much trials can cost, Mason said he wouldn't consider taking this case unless he got $1 million up front."

And yet now he's in court today working probono? I hope someone forces him to eat his own words January 2009. :waitasec:

Sorry. I screwed up. I meant to copy the link to the second article. I realized I copied the first link twice. I'll try to find the second link again where CM stated he wouldn't take the case for less than $ 1 mil up front.
Thanks. Now it makes sense why he stated not to worry about the million dollars...he was taking the case pro bono.

Thanks. Now it makes sense why he stated not to worry about the million dollars...he was taking the case pro bono.

Sorry for messing up my other post RR. I finally found the other article and edited my last post.

What I find funny is that in the SECOND article I linked to is that he was quoted as saying he wouldn't consider taking the case for less than 1 mil.

Now today, he inserted himself into the case for free? A year ago he said he would need 1 mil to get involved. What changed his mind? :waitasec:

Sorry for messing up my other post RR. I finally found the other article and edited my last post.

What I find funny is that in the SECOND article I linked to is that he was quoted as saying he wouldn't consider taking the case for less than 1 mil.

Now today, he inserted himself into the case for free? A year ago he said he would need 1 mil to get involved. What changed his mind? :waitasec:
He's bored???

His ego. Gosh he reminds me of F Lee...

The joking around by this new attorney is really making me mad. A beautiful little girl is dead! This is not a laughing matter!

I agree, but FWIW I've seen laughter and smirks from all sides. Even my beloved JS.
(BWI blowing kisses to JS)

Wow. Can't believe I finally reached the end of the thread. :)

Some observations from today:

First, walk in and sit down, and CHENEY MASON is at the defense table and ANDREA is not. WHOA! Big change! And no Mort Smith either! He's been at all of the hearings for the last year or so. And LKB is there, haven't seen her in a while...

Couldn't help but notice - even from just a side view, from a distance - that Casey had a ton of makeup on. Hmmmm... And Cindy's face was really red. Like she spent too much time in the sun the last few days... or something. :)

When money was being discussed, I saw Andrea shaking her head "NO" several times and mouthing "They lie." I'm not really a lip reader, but it was obvious.

Loved it when Frank George brought up last years in-camera hearing and said "the numbers don't jive." heh

Loved it even more when Judge S said "No, in public." As a taxpayer, I don't want to see money going to someone whose attorney has mis-managed the large amount of money that was available. If it can be proven that he did mis-manage, he needs to pay everything else OUT OF HIS OWN POCKET. :furious:

Could not BELIEVE that the defense was so unprepared, with no paperwork or accounting. That was the WHOLE PURPOSE OF THIS HEARING. Wished the Judge would have called them on it harshly - they deserved it for wasting courtroom (and taxpayer) time.

Joy W came in late, about 11:30. So did Brad Conway, around 12:10.

So, the $164,000 question: WHERE IS IT, BAEZ? Vague answers don't work for this taxpayer! :furious::furious::furious:

not so sure i am the esteemed member but i WAS THERE too -LOL. also another nice web sleuth there - may be her who deserves the credit i bet!!. i got there fairly early . spoke with reporters from in session , holly , sarah from orl sentinal. i did speak with marinade dave - my friend i think does a great job. i had put a card in my purse for cindy and george and gave her it. it was a violet, pink, purple butterfly. i wrote the words myself inside, said not everyone does not believe you - stay strong and be a united front. now some of you may hate me for having compassion and empathy as the card was for both cindy and george. i gave her a hug and she grabbed my hand at same time i took hers and with tears in my eyes i told her my heart breaks for her and her family, she too teared up and said thank you, i told her i would probably be just like her if i was in her shoes! i said i can be a bit-- and an angel too and tell some to go f-- themself if they try to f--me over! honest i said this but did not skip the real words. i also discussed briefly about the twins and about casey and if an accident. it was something very personal . she did not say much but i said - we all know casey lies, partied and did or does not have normal behavior of what we expected but even if it was an accident--- the rest is my own thoughts. george looked good. had a perfect pressed violet shirt and i kidded him about the perfect creases. he said he irons it himsefl as his mom taught him when young - we laughed as i said really? he complimented my color of sweater, a pretty new purple one. i even told him i got it on sale 75% off and the girl reporters and i spoke of buying things on sale and george laughed. cindy and george seem just fine. she did touch his shoulder when in court room and i do believe the twins are not going to destroy them. he commented about them but i will give him his privacy. nothing earthshattering but he said they are being looked into no secret. one of the reporters from in session said the natl enq pulled the story . i sat next to joy and she said she saw it in grocers but i purposedly went into winn dixie and publix and only saw lisa presley. casey looked very thin and fragile . hair in bun , looked to me as shirt was dark blue and white. sound was bad on phone call and we heard lots of lol and saw heads shake from many. so we wait-- let us not forget what all this is about. is there money to defend casey - who pays and two parents watch and know their daughter faced death peanllty and they lost cayleethe lil angel baby. met another websleuth there and she may be the esteemed one !not trying to steal her merits-lol. the attys were overtook by the new one i feel. he wasa lil arrogant. jmo all bless caylee

:clap::clap::clap: I feel the same way as you do ,if I lived in FL I would have given you a big hug Believe me I understand Cindy's actions Completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member