2010.03.18 New High Powered Attorney Cheney Mason Joins DT *MERGED*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that he is mentioned in other threads, but I think he deserves his very own thread.

I am stumped about his presence and participation. You would think as the DP qualified lawyer, you would think with his 'revered' history as a trial lawyer, he has a lot to offer. But what has he brought to the table? I'm not seeing anything that makes sense. He seems to bully, preen and sleep.

Also, I'd like to mention here that I see a lot of ageism aimed at him. Being of a certain age myself, I am offended, so am not interested in reading about his supposed senility. I think he's pretty sharp and totally manipulative, and what I really want to know is, what the heck is he contributing to the defence?

I think he likes the fact that we are all wondering about him.

Distancing-- as far away as he can get while still sitting at the defense table. That's my take.

I have heard B. Shaeffer say several times that Baez has a stronghold on the defense team. He is calling the shots and unfortunately for Casey they have not represented her well as a result. Not that I'm crying a river for Casey. But this defense is just off the wall.

My feeling is You will see Mr. Mason retire right after this case. When those appeals start coming down claiming Ineffective Counsel any attorney with their name on the list will be accused.

I have heard B. Shaeffer say several times that Baez has a stronghold on the defense team. He is calling the shots and unfortunately for Casey they have not represented her well as a result. Not that I'm crying a river for Casey. But this defense is just off the wall.

My feeling is You will see Mr. Mason retire right after this case. When those appeals start coming down claiming Ineffective Counsel any attorney with their name on the list will be accused.

That he has a stronghold is obvious . . . but how could such a clumsy, inexperienced guy get a stronghold over someone like Mason? This is what I don't get.

That he has a stronghold is obvious . . . but how could such a clumsy, inexperienced guy get a stronghold over someone like Mason? This is what I don't get.
Perhaps Casey established early on that Baez was calling the shots?

I don't get it either - what does he have over CM (if anything). I don't want to distract from the OP's comment about age, but CM is always the one bringing it up. I'd understand the offense if we said something, but he just goes on and on about not being able to hear, or saying "I'm old", or I need the screen scroll on my computer because I can't hear the witness. So if I say something, it's usually in response to a comment CM has already made KWIM.

I do wish, however, that he would take more of a front row seat -- because he'll need to jump quick off this sinking ship (IMHO).

MOO

Mel

I find CM to be rude, even more so than Baez, but he is a better attorney than Baez so I guess he can take that as a compliment.

Baez wants to be lead council and I think Mr. Mason got caught up in the middle. Baez needed someone with DP trial experience involved in the case. I don't think CM wanted to use this defense at all. I wonder if Casey is going to turn on Baez and ask CM to take her appeal. Only time will tell.

Additionally, Bill S. has said that Baez probably doesn't ask for advice nor will he allow anyone to suggest how he should proceed. Baez also wants major "face" time so that he is perceived as the one in charge of running the defense, however weak.

IMO, Baez doesn't give a rat's azz about Casey, or even if he wins or loses. JB is out for himself, the fame, and fortune that this high profile case will generate for him :maddening:

I don't get it either - what does he have over CM (if anything). I don't want to distract from the OP's comment about age, but CM is always the one bringing it up. I'd understand the offense if we said something, but he just goes on and on about not being able to hear, or saying "I'm old", or I need the screen scroll on my computer because I can't hear the witness. So if I say something, it's usually in response to a comment CM has already made KWIM.

I do wish, however, that he would take more of a front row seat -- because he'll need to jump quick off this sinking ship (IMHO).

MOO

Mel

Thanks for pointing this out! What you said is not ageist. You are pointing out that he uses his age to manipulate situations. He gives older people an undeservedly bad name. I find that kind of manipulation shamefully desperate and speaks to his character, not his age.

J. Cheney Mason (goes by Cheney) has joined the defense in the Casey Anthony case. Cheney is well-known and well-respected here in the Greater Orlando legal community. Note: Judge Strickland laughed about where Cheney has been this whole time. This ballgame is now going to change--take note.

He's REALLY REALLY good.

I'm quoting from post #2 of this thread.I say that CM has been REALLY REALLY absent from this trial.I don't understand why he hasn't been able to keep Baez's butt out of the sling.Maybe he's tried and failed. Maybe he doesn't care anymore. I don't know.

Could it be that JB has a stronghold on KC and she is calling the shots in terms of JB is my attorney and I want him to be the lead attorney? From appearances KC certainly feels she can tell him what to do and has no problem chewing him out when she feels something has gone wrong.

I also feel CM is sending the wrong message to the jury by being too touchy with KC. Nothing wrong with it under normal circumstances but someone who claims to have been "inappropriately touched" by an "older" male shys away from that kind of contact. KC welcomes the attention, physical or verbal, clearly from anyone and encourages it by leaning into her attorneys and constantly trying to make some type of physical contact with them. It's not that CM is doing anything wrong but if he wishes to present his client as a victum his actions towards her are very telling of someone who is not so much the victum but one who requires a lot of attention.

I think you are right about CM retiring after this trial. Even if he claims JB ran the defense like a runaway train there is no excuse for not giving their experts all the information they required to testify. I'm sure defense will claim they did but when all the experts say they did not get information they can't be all lying.

Anyone else see some new laws coming from this trial regarding defense attorneys and their experience in order to try a DP case? jmo

I think he likes the fact that we are all wondering about him.

Heh. He wants to go out with a whimper, not a bang?

The guy came pro bono so he could have quit. He has added a few underhanded motions to the mix, but he could have left any time. So, what's in it for him? It certainly can't be the glory. Nor does he seem to add any sort of gravitas to the proceedings. I still wonder, what has he brought to the table? Can anyone cite anything worthwhile? Or is he, as I perceive him, Baez's personal go-fer?

I know that he is mentioned in other threads, but I think he deserves his very own thread.

I am stumped about his presence and participation. You would think as the DP qualified lawyer, you would think with his 'revered' history as a trial lawyer, he has a lot to offer. But what has he brought to the table? I'm not seeing anything that makes sense. He seems to bully, preen and sleep.

Also, I'd like to mention here that I see a lot of ageism aimed at him. Being of a certain age myself, I am offended, so am not interested in reading about his supposed senility. I think he's pretty sharp and totally manipulative, and what I really want to know is, what the heck is he contributing to the defence?

Bolds mine.

Black bold: Very devious and manipulative...did anyone else notice that not once during his last direct, did he have ANY trouble hearing? He uses that to get over on people....as he does when he makes comments about being a senior citizen...whatever works for this manipulator! :maddening:

Red Bold: He's written a few motions, but alot of them are extremely whiney...just like his co-counsel. He brought Lisbeth F. to the mix and she seems highly intelligent....hmmmm...other than that...nada! :maddening:

I read somewhere...maybe Hornsby's tweets, that Mason was basically a figurehead during the astronaut trial too...the one who wore adult diapers so as not to have to stop and go potty on her trip to assault/kill her lover's wife.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2011-08-05/news/os-jim-greer-dismissal-hearing-20110805_1_victory-strategies-jim-greer-party-money
August 05, 2011|By Rene Stutzman, Orlando Sentinel

Judge to rule in about two weeks.
Ousted Florida GOP chairman Jim Greer returned to court Friday and asked an Orlando judge to throw out the criminal charges against him and much of the evidence seized by state agents.
Prosecutors allege Greer set up a shell company and used it to funnel more than $125,000 of party money into his personal bank accounts.
Defense attorney Cheney Mason told the judge Friday that what Greer did may have been unethical but it wasn't illegal.

**I want to know when the definitions for "unethical" and "Legal" became the same - sort of like "truth " and "mistruth"

He announced he is doing this 'Pro Bono so there will be no million dollar worries here'.

Pro Bono..sure. Mark G was also pro bono..that bank account ought to be checked. They all come in as that but change when the defendent is indigent and the tax payers are going to pick up the tab.

I am not impressed with mason. He is a blow hole and has no class. He acts like a bully and pushes people around. He is a miserable piece of work like the rest of them.

The DT with OJ pulled a very similar stunt in the courtroom. They tore apart the DNA evidence and played the jury with cute phrases and lots of drama (like baez) They said it was a Brazilian Necktie murder. They constantly interrupted the State while closing and had as many side bars as this case had..

Mr mason and mr baez both suffer from illusions of adequacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow