2010.03.18 New High Powered Attorney Cheney Mason Joins DT *MERGED*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's really up with the comment that this case is going to be fun ?
Seriously. Do you think KC's smiles were because of the new direction the defense is going in? Maybe they really are working on throwing someone under that big ol bus. I didn't get to see the recent court appearance, but I read here that CA was straining as usual for a little glimpse from KC, but KC didn't give her that satisfaction. Think CA is really going under the bus? What could honestly be so "fun" ???????????

Peace,
Misy.

What's really up with the comment that this case is going to be fun ?
Seriously. Do you think KC's smiles were because of the new direction the defense is going in? Maybe they really are working on throwing someone under that big ol bus. I didn't get to see the recent court appearance, but I read here that CA was straining as usual for a little glimpse from KC, but KC didn't give her that satisfaction. Think CA is really going under the bus? What could honestly be so "fun" ???????????

Peace,
Misy.

I think the fun comment came from Mr Mason. He can do that, he has earned the respect of his peers. However, I hope you won't let that little cowboy act fool you, he is going to be thorough come trial, nothing funny about it. IMO

I think the fun comment came from Mr Mason. He can do that, he has earned the respect of his peers. However, I hope you won't let that little cowboy act fool you, he is going to be thorough come trial, nothing funny about it. IMO

bbm
Maybe it's okay with his "peers" for him to speak of this as "fun." However, my definition of "fun" never includes dead little girls. So, he most certainly hasn't earned my respect.

And the jury will be Casey's "peers," not his...I'm wondering how they might find that kind of comment?

I think many of us are still traumatized by the OJ verdict. I remember it being fearfully invoked many times during the Peterson trial. But that circus resulted in a guilty verdict, and I'm confident this one will also. OJ was an anomaly.
The mountain of evidence in this case aside:
OJ was a beloved celebrity. KC is nothing of the sort.
OJ's defense team were able to draw upon, and manipulate, a genuine ugly history of racial tensions between the black community and LAPD in ways that were plausible to the jury. As far as I know there is no great history of discrimination against young white women by the OCSD, nor is the jury likely to mainly comprise young white women with first or close hand experiences of such problems, so the defense will have to find other ways to discredit the evidence against KC.
Nicole Brown's lifestyle and choice of companions were attacked by the defense in ways that Caylee's lifestyle and choice of companions cannot be, because she was a baby.
OJ is someone who came from nothing and then made something of himself. KC is someone who came from something and made absolutely nothing of herself.
These are just a few differences. There are many, many more.
Justice will be served.

Can I be so bold as to add to your list? :blowkiss:

1. Judge Ito, in OJ's trial lost control of the courtroom early on...Judge Strickland will not let that happen.

2. The prosecutors for OJ's trial were idiots who cared more how they came off, than doing a good job. LDB, Ashton, and George are an awesome threesome...they will wipe the floor with the Dream team.

IMO, too little too late. The public appears to be tired of the shenanigans and antics of all members of the defense team creating a zoo atmosphere in this case. I don't think they are going to tolerate this "character personality" well at all. I think the public is thirsting for a real, confident professional defense attorney, minus the showboating. :furious:

One comment about how much "fun" he is having during trial, and he will lose that jury's attention.

Agreed. Cheney can boast and showboat as much as he wants but the only way he can win is through teamwork and focus, it is all in the preparation and planning, hard work and Cheney is dependant upon his team combined with his leadership and strategy. Cheney needs a team he can depend on, he is not going to do the heavy lifting.

The Defense team does NOT need another Type A character, they need a leader with focus, purpose, strategy. I'd personaly go with someone younger like RH with appetite and energy than any veteran who is going through the motions (excuse pun) pre-retirement. He does not have the passion.

"The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club wont be worth a dime. -- Babe Ruth"

"The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of ourselves to the task at hand. -Vince Lombardi"

Can I be so bold as to add to your list? :blowkiss:

1. Judge Ito, in OJ's trial lost control of the courtroom early on...Judge Strickland will not let that happen.

2. The prosecutors for OJ's trial were idiots who cared more how they came off, than doing a good job. LDB, Ashton, and George are an awesome threesome...they will wipe the floor with the Dream team.

Aw, I'm glad you were so bold. The more the better. It's soothing to focus upon the differences between them.

bbm
Maybe it's okay with his "peers" for him to speak of this as "fun." However, my definition of "fun" never includes dead little girls. So, he most certainly hasn't earned my respect.

And the jury will be Casey's "peers," not his...I'm wondering how they might find that kind of comment?

I think these Lawyers act differently in hearings than they do at trial in front of the jury. They also act differently in front of the press. He must be very good with juries. IMO

I think these Lawyers act differently in hearings than they do at trial in front of the jury. They also act differently in front of the press. He must be very good with juries. IMO

Yes, IMHO Cheney will need to team up with LA to use his power of The Force as a Jedi Knight to help KC and save her from the DP -- including telekinesis, telepathy, enhanced empathy and precognition. He also needs to be able to influence and control the minds of the Jury by making use of the Jedi mind trick.

The Force has a "Dark side", which feeds off emotions such as anger, jealousy, fear, and hate, whereas the Jedi use the Force only for peaceful purposes. The Jedi's compassionate and selfless use of the Force has come to be known by inference as "the light side".

I have no doubt it will be interesting to see. Do "these Lawyers" not realize that people pay attention to more than one thing and have the ability to assimilate that information? Like, people don't compartmentalize like that, imo.

Well he was kinda cocky and disrespectful in hearings, and that seemed genuine, but then he acted differently in the press, and that seemed genuine, and then he acted differently with the jury, and that seemed genuine, too, garsh...:waitasec:

Marcia Clark had earned the respect of her peers, too. She was, in part, responsible for driving a case that led to legislation that protected (esp. women) from stalkers, big advocate on women's issues and domestic violence. Unfortunately, when it was revealed that she had a love interest with her co-counsel, a private relationship outside of the courtroom between two single adults (IIRC, they were single), it helped to sink them. So behavior does count.

The cowboy thing was a purposeful effort to shake it up in and out of the courtroom and to throw off the process and Judge S. Great tactic, cause that courtroom was more chaotic than we have seen it so far. But to keep that up at trial, he is going to have to select a jury that will go along with it-and people that are taken from their jobs at this tough economic time, and their families, might not be so amused-It's a gamble on some level, but it's a gamble I am sure he is very comfortable with.

I have no doubt it will be interesting to see. Do "these Lawyers" not realize that people pay attention to more than one thing and have the ability to assimilate that information? Like, people don't compartmentalize like that, imo.

Well he was kinda cocky and disrespectful in hearings, and that seemed genuine, but then he acted differently in the press, and that seemed genuine, and then he acted differently with the jury, and that seemed genuine, too, garsh...:waitasec:

Maybe instead of the ladies and gentlemen of the jury, he can refer to them as boys and girls of the jury.
Not a slam on his age whatsoever, because I am sure he realizes as does my 88 year old grandmother, that we are in a high-speed media age. People tend to be a lot more informed and are able to take various pieces of information to make a more informed decision.
Whether or not that is a good thing for defendants can be debated. Reasonable doubt is up against the internet, yikes. As we know, the potential jury, the questionnaires that JB sent out, showed that just about everyone knew at least something about this case. Doesn't mean they cannot go into it without a fair approach, but it does demonstrate that people are in tune with what is going on in their community-The thoughtfulness in some of the answers (all-be-it brief answers) also shows that people understand the importance of the presumption of innocence as well.
This is the best quality that AL has, IMO-She knows that the public is onto this stuff immediately, she knows the pulse, she said so on GMA (the one where she said KC didn't kill her kid). Unlike LKB, who made sure we knew she was going to be an educator for the dumb judge, sure she thinks the people are just as ignorant-Hope Mr. Cheney does not insult the intelligence of the Judge or the people as LKB did, that was just uncalled for, pretentious and way too presumptious.

Kind of the problem I have with that theory is that most people tend to play as they practice.

So for example if you if you mess around during practice and don't give 110% well then come game day you'll be just as bad as you were in practice.

This defense team is making lots of mistakes at hearings and in motions. I felt Mr. Mason came off very egotistical and condescending. Yes he is a very experienced lawyer and has been on a few high profile cases.

However like some pro quarterbacks I think he believes his own press and his ego is certainly getting in the way. His trust me comments to the judge are a perfect example of that imho.

A couple other points. Didn't RHornsby mention that Mason has lost a lot of cases?

Also I haven't really seen where the defense has acted that much differently in front of the press as in court. AL in the press comes off as rude and condescending (didn't she push Kathi B?). JB's press conferences to me seem to be just as bumbling and full of mistakes/mis-speaks as his court appearances. LKB has kind of been a non issue for almost a year. She if you notice has just kind of taken a seat in the back-ground both in court and in the press.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16306307/page/4/

Serrano's trial from MSNBC...closing arguments with CMason-jurors find him guilty...jurors recommended the DP...

He's lost many cases, so he may bring decorum, expertise, knowledge but in the end the evidence will speak for itself and I do believe Inmate Anthony will be found guilty...you can not change the evidence...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Wouldn't you think that someone with his experience would have the wisdom by now to know that you only get one chance at a good first impression? Stating that you are taking the case for 'fun' was a terrible indictment of his sensibilities- he failed miserably and very publicly to assess the mood of the Court and the Public and obviously has no sense of delicacy or decorum.

Bombast is his style and that is utterly inappropriate in dealing with this case.

Imo, these defense lawyers can grandstand all they want. The jury is charged with weighing the evidence and facts. Hopefully, this is what their decision will be based on. When Mr. Mason says this will be "fun" he may truly looking forward to this trial as his swan song. He has that right, imo. He has no dog in this fight. His reputation has already been made. One can't be a good defense attorney if he shies away from a battle. They will say what they have to say to defend their client.
They will always push the envelope of a case to make the prosecution prove their side beyond a reasonable doubt. And they should, imo, especially in a death penalty case. It is like a chess game to them. jmo of course.

Imo, these defense lawyers can grandstand all they want. The jury is charged with weighing the evidence and facts. Hopefully, this is what their decision will be based on. When Mr. Mason says this will be "fun" he may truly looking forward to this trial as his swan song. He has that right, imo. He has no dog in this fight. His reputation has already been made. One can't be a good defense attorney if he shies away from a battle. They will say what they have to say to defend their client.
They will always push the envelope of a case to make the prosecution prove their side beyond a reasonable doubt. And they should, imo, especially in a death penalty case. It is like a chess game to them. jmo of course.

Yes, we all have the right to see how our feet taste. :)

Yes a precious child has died, but none of us have heard all the evidence.

And until we have heard all of the evidence, none of us are capable of suspending our emotion for years so that we can never crack a smile during a light hearted moment in a court proceeding. It is not humanly possible.

I do agree w/you to some extent, but I find that Casey Anthony never displays the appropriate emotions in court. She is very nonchalant about this whole thing and IMO has never shown grief about what happened to Caylee, or more importantly, what is currently happening to her in terms of being charged w/her daughter's murder and all.

While I agree that it would not be humanly possible to never crack a smile, what about Casey's behavior during her check fraud trial? The day she was going to plead guilty and become a convicted felon, she came into the courtroom all smiles, like it was the happiest day of her life. It was completely and totally inappropriate. She acts like this is all a game to her.

Thank god Casey will have her day in court, those smiles won't bode well with the jurors. When showing photos of Casey's skull wrapped in duct tape over her mouth and nose, she will probably smile more. J.Mason better be the best defense Florida has!~

Yes, IMHO Cheney will need to team up with LA to use his power of The Force as a Jedi Knight to help KC and save her from the DP -- including telekinesis, telepathy, enhanced empathy and precognition. He also needs to be able to influence and control the minds of the Jury by making use of the Jedi mind trick.

OMG! I think I love you cyberborg!!!!! That is AWESOME!!!! Yeah, if she only had Darth Vader on her side. That'd be the only way she could possibly win. Too bad she only has Darth Dorkus, Darth Depaul, and Darth Deadsouth on her side. Vader could mop the floor with them.

Sorry to stray, but Cy, were you the one that had the LA and Princess Liar Star Wars chronicles in your signature? Whoever that was has to bring those back, never did get to find out who would play the role of Jabba the Hut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazPsi