2010.05.13 -Ronald & Hank Jr. Hearing: Ron negotiating for 15yr sentence, Trial 7/19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NOTE: The media is not reporting properly again. First of all the deal has not been accepted and second, they keep saying Ron will only do 15yrs and that is not the case. His attorney clearly states that out of the 5 charges Ronald will still be charged with 3 of them at 15-30 yrs per charge. That would mean Ronald could serve anywhere from 45yrs to 90 yrs. Big difference from what the media is reporting. I wish they would knock it off and report the facts and if they don't have any then stop making up stories for the ratings...:banghead:

Haleigh’s father will testify against ex-wife, Misty Croslin

May 19, 2010 "Snip" http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/201...r-will-testify-against-ex-wife-misty-croslin/
Ronald Cummings is seeking a plea deal with a 15-year sentence on prescription drug-trafficking charges. In order to get this deal, he is willing to testify against Misty, and Tommy Croslin.

Shoemaker, said his client hopes to have the deal before his trial begins on July 19. Cummings faces five counts of drug trafficking.

Shoemaker said he has been working on the plea deal for more than a month .

If the deal is accepted, Ronald will face 15-year minimum and a 30-year maximum per charge, Shoemaker said.
Posted by: Marlaina Schiavo

Palatka Daily News online article reporting that Lindsy was in the courtroom yesterday during Tommy's hearing:

http://www.palatkadailynews.com/articles/2010/05/14/news/news01.txt

As Croslin walked through the courtroom, he mouthed “I love you” to his wife, who said she had not seen him since his arrest Jan. 20.

Lindsy Croslin, who was sitting with Croslin’s mother and father, felt the outcome of his case would be positive in that he will get less than the minimum.

“I’m just here to support my children’s father,” she said.

------

What the heck is up with that if she is divorcing him?

i've said it before and i'll say it again. i'm not sure how the laws work in florida, but in NC if she divorces him and he's in jail with no income to pay child support, lindsy would be eligible for all kinds of help from the state. she'd get more than enough food stamps to feed them, money for a roof over their head, free medical, dental and optometry (or in some cases a $3.00 copay) and she can even get a cell phone with abilities to call not just for emergencies but friends and family as well as texting. i seriously think the divorce is a farce that will benefit her and the kids and once he is out of prison, he can move back in with her and as long as the state doesn't find out about it, she will continue to receive benefits. that's how NC is anyway.

Please do not alter the names of anyone discussed in this case, except appropriate abbreviations.Derogatory name changes, or any kind of name change is not acceptable.

Shoey = name variation...

Name Variations and Name calling - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

ACK - I'm sorry, I thought that was a nickname of Shoemaker's. I didn't mean it derrogatory at all. I have a lot of respect for the man. In fact, if I were to ever commit a crime in Florida, I'm pretty sure Shoemaker is who I would call. :dance:

IMO RC is no stranger to making deals and rolling on drug dealers to save himself. I believe he is a mid level drug dealer and has been for a very long time. Many of the woman in his life were mere mules IMO and the entire Croslin family entered his life and they were pathetic to him as users and abusers but he saw opportunity. Very Sad (IMO)

My point here is LE may have gotten themselves in a bind here because as I respect their unbelievable ability to keep every aspect of this case quiet and than the brilliant drug arrest to get them behind bars seperated, possibly off the drugs.. which would seem to surely make one of the weak come clean. I am starting to think that this could totally backfire.

I don't have answers and I do not have any idea of what happened that night but I do have life experience and I see a lot of drugs so I really have always believed this to be drug related in some way.

What if it was HaLeigh swallowing an Oxi and she had a seisure on the blanket. RC told Misty to contact her brother and handle it plus call 911 to report her missing. Hence the possible early 911 call.

Now RC is seeing an opportunity to accuse Misty of Drug Dealing out of the house. He could get witnesses as Misty was his mule IMO... Therefore when the truth comes out from ToC or MC - He can come right back and say I had no idea and who's Oxi was it? I mean the only problem with that is I am sure their are drug dealers that know RC was a drug dealer too but it might be hard to get one to come out and testify to that unless they are in jail -- uhmmmm..

Hey this could be all crazy talk but make no mistake RC is the leader of this gang! IMO He suplied and commanded and they did what he said and got their prizes at the end of their duties.

IMO, witnesses would not be enough. Ron is a co-defendant in some of those charges. Ron has an incentive to lie against Misty to help himself. Therefore, anything Ron does testify too, he needs credible evidence to confrim what he is saying is the truth. That is where Ron is going to have a huge problem. It would be hard to find a credible witness with absolutely no incentive to lie on Ron's behalf. Ron's family members would not be credible because they have an incentive to lie to help Ron. Even Misty's cell phone records would not be credible to prove Ron's statements. Because if Ron was there while Misty was on the phone, how can he prove that she used the phone and not him.

That is why I think that the negotation of any plea deal for Ron is what Ron and his attorney wants, not what the DA has agreed to or even entered into negotiations. IMO, Ron's attorney announced it solely for public relations spin.

Just like whatever Tommy told LE, they seemed to believe his story to the point of spending thousands of dollars to search the dock area. However, they did not arrest anyone on Tommy's story because they need proof to back up Tommy's story to prove it is not just another story.

i've said it before and i'll say it again. i'm not sure how the laws work in florida, but in NC if she divorces him and he's in jail with no income to pay child support, lindsy would be eligible for all kinds of help from the state. she'd get more than enough food stamps to feed them, money for a roof over their head, free medical, dental and optometry (or in some cases a $3.00 copay) and she can even get a cell phone with abilities to call not just for emergencies but friends and family as well as texting. i seriously think the divorce is a farce that will benefit her and the kids and once he is out of prison, he can move back in with her and as long as the state doesn't find out about it, she will continue to receive benefits. that's how NC is anyway.
Why would you think that this is what Lindsy Croslin plans to do? It is so wonderful to hear that North Carolina takes care of it's people this way. Dishonest people will always find ways to "work" the system, be they poor or rich dishonest people.

It is wrong, in my humble opinion, to say that this is what this young woman plans to do. Not everyone thinks this way.

Lindsay would only be eligible for this sort of assistance if she wasn't working or her income kept that family below the poverty line. If she knows Tommy killed Haleigh or was involved in the death or coverup, then the divorce is probably not about getting welfare benefits. Tommy is probably going to go to jail for a long time, anyway; she would be eligible regardless of her marital status. I wouldn't begin to speculate on why someone files for divorce.

Regarding Ron's potential plea deal, the number of years served would depend on whether the deal was for consecutive or concurrent sentences on the various charges.

Regarding the point that the investigation of Haleigh's case complicates the plea bargain for the drug case. First, anyone that LE suspects is involved in Haleigh's murder wouldn't get a plea. After all, if any of the people involved in the drug deal killed Haleigh, the drug deal offers an opportunity to KEEP that person in prison for a very long time, even if there is insufficient physical, circumstantial, or eyewitness evidence to arrest and/or convict that person for Haleigh's murder. There are any number of slugs doing time for other crimes who are suspected of murders but not charged; LE has them off the streets and can wait for circumstances to change or other evidence to emerge because there is no statute of limitations for murder.

So if LE is talking about a plea for any of the drug dealers in the case, I think that means the person is not a suspect in Haleigh's murder. I, of course, have no inside information and have been on vacation, so I might have missed the latest nuances in the case. So this post represent only my logical deduction based on what I have read here.

IMO, witnesses would not be enough. Ron is a co-defendant in some of those charges. Ron has an incentive to lie against Misty to help himself. Therefore, anything Ron does testify too, he needs credible evidence to confrim what he is saying is the truth. That is where Ron is going to have a huge problem. It would be hard to find a credible witness with absolutely no incentive to lie on Ron's behalf. Ron's family members would not be credible because they have an incentive to lie to help Ron. Even Misty's cell phone records would not be credible to prove Ron's statements. Because if Ron was there while Misty was on the phone, how can he prove that she used the phone and not him.

That is why I think that the negotation of any plea deal for Ron is what Ron and his attorney wants, not what the DA has agreed to or even entered into negotiations. IMO, Ron's attorney announced it solely for public relations spin.

Just like whatever Tommy told LE, they seemed to believe his story to the point of spending thousands of dollars to search the dock area. However, they did not arrest anyone on Tommy's story because they need proof to back up Tommy's story to prove it is not just another story.

Excellent points ... but the only thing that does concenn me is that LE did do a complete drainage of a lake/pond when Nay Nay's boyfriend (father of baby) came in and told a story of a party, overdose, and dumping in pond. They spent Tens of thousands of the County's money than too.

I believe LE knows what happened and has proof of what happened but they do not have proof of who or where. My point is that LE is playing the field with possible "deals" to see what they can get.

On a side note ... I am not sure playing this so quietly has panned out for LE. I guess we will see with the C.A. case and how that ends up but I know how the Scott Peterson case ended and LE told us lots of evidence they had on him each step of the way. He probably wont ever see the end of the needle bc it is CA but at least he got the verdict. It looked like a duck, it acted like a duck and in the end it was a duck!

Good chatting with you,

Curious G

Putnam County has updated Ron's Court Docket.

Some pretty strange stuff on it.

2010-05-06 33 MOTION TO REDUCE BOND
2010-05-06 34 NOTICE OF HEARING SET ON 05/07/2010 AT 2:00 PM
2010-05-06 34 STATE'S MOTION FOR PRODUCTION AND DISCLOSURE OF SOURCE
2010-05-06 34 OF BAIL PREMIUM AND COLLATERAL PRIOR TO DEFENDANT'S
2010-05-06 34 RELEASE ON BAIL (NEBBIA HEARING)
2010-05-07 35 NOTICE OF CANCELLATION OF HEARING (FAX)(BOND HEARING)
2010-05-10 36 NOTICE OF CANCELLATION OF HEARING(FAX)(NEBBIA HEARING)
2010-05-10 37 NOTICE OF CANCELLATION OF HEARING (ORIGINAL)(NEBBIA)
2010-05-10 38 NOTICE OF CANCELLATION OF HEARING (ORIGINAL)(BOND)
2010-05-13 39 PRE TRIAL MINUTES: DEFT PRES, ATT BY TERRY J SHOEMAKER
2010-05-13 39 STATE AND DEFENSE ANNOUNCED READY FOR TRIAL
2010-05-13 39 CASE SET FOR JURY TRIAL 07/19/2010
2010-05-13 40 ORDER SETTING TRIAL DATE 07/19/2010 AND LAST CHANCE
2010-05-13 40 PLEA DAY 07/09/2010

2010-05-21 41 NOTICE TO DEFENDANT (07-19-2010) IN JAIL
2010-05-21 42 NOTICE TO ATTORNEY (07-19-2010)

Says to me that if Ron wants a plea, he better make it by 7/09.

Yep, both are numbered 40 so it reads...

2010-05-13 40 ORDER SETTING TRIAL DATE 07/19/2010 AND LAST CHANCE PLEA DAY 07/09/2010

Shoey might be a poker player and thinks that he can bluff his way through the courtroom. IMO, he has his poker face on.:sick:

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaj View Post
Please do not alter the names of anyone discussed in this case, except appropriate abbreviations.Derogatory name changes, or any kind of name change is not acceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaj View Post

I went back and changed the name to Shoemaker. FWIW, I used Shoey just for a shortcut and not for derogatory reasons. Promise.

Says to me that if Ron wants a plea, he better make it by 7/09.

I'm truly hoping that the truth comes to light before this date. If Misty doesn't talk now, she never will. Surely, her love has dimmed a bit by now. Come on Misty, if you are protecting Ron, now is the time to end this.

Yep, both are numbered 40 so it reads...

2010-05-13 40 ORDER SETTING TRIAL DATE 07/19/2010 AND LAST CHANCE PLEA DAY 07/09/2010

I looked this up because I have never heard of setting a date to stop accepting a plea.

This is from a public defender's office to their clients. It was the most informative explanation I could find. Docket Day is also known as Plea Day.

http://www.pdo1.org/whattodoifarrested.htm

The purpose of the docket day is to advise the Court whether the Defendant wishes to go to trial. By the docket day, the attorney handling the case will be thoroughly familiar with the facts of the case and able to make tactical decisions involving the case. Discussions with the State Attorney and investigation of the case will usually take place before the docket day. If the Defendant wishes to plead guilty, or if there has been a negotiation involving the plea with the Court, or if the State Attorney has indicated they will drop some of the charges due to lack of evidence, the pleas will be offered at the docket day. Otherwise, the case will be set for trial. We will usually ask for a trial by jury, however, occasionally we feel that it would be to the Defendant's advantage to ask for a trial before the Judge and give up the right to a jury trial. Your attorney will advise you, but the decision whether or not to have a trial and whether it is a jury or Judge trial, is up to you.

Here is what I could find on plea bargaining. Note that the article indicates that the practices surrounding plea bargaining vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. I couldn't find anything specific to Florida law that seemed trustworthy to me. It might be interesting to ask the legal minds from Florida on this board about the practices in Florida and its various jurisdictions. Many TV shows depict plea bargains happening at the 11th hour, just before a jury verdict.

In theory, a plea bargain may be negotiated at any time after arrest. In practice, however, the time to plead depends on the court and the jurisdiction -- some jurisdictions allow plea bargains only during certain phases of the criminal process. In many other places, however, plea bargains can be worked out virtually any time -- from shortly after the defendant is arrested (before the prosecutor files criminal charges) up to the time a verdict is reached -- even during trial itself. Also, if the trial results in a hung jury (the jurors are split and cannot make the unanimous decision required), the prosecution and defense may (and often do) negotiate a plea rather than go through yet another trial.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/crimes/criminal_stages/stages-plea-bargains/plea-bargains.html

I went back and changed the name to Shoemaker. FWIW, I used Shoey just for a shortcut and not for derogatory reasons. Promise.

Geez now that you mention it Lone, I did the same thing (referred to Att. Shoemaker as "Shoey") a few days ago when replying to a post. The poster that I replied to had used the name "Shoey" and, in my response, it never even occurred to me that his correct name was "Shoemaker" - I can assure you all that it certainly wasn't done derogatively in my case either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peleona