2010.06.18 Questionnaire -Students, parents asked about Kyron again

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi, I bet the 'war room' is alive tonight with investigators pouring over all the fliers being returned to them as we speak.

I hope there is a big break in the case this weekend. Time is on the investigators side I know. But with all the hard work put into this case to this point I'm hoping beyond hope it could be time in the next week or so. It will seem to drag, eh?

This link has the flyer in their headline article which is just smaller images than the pdf file. http://www.kgw.com/

The questionnaire is divided into four parts. I've left out the intro describing these forms for anyone that was at the school between 8 and 4.

second part is larger images as seen in the headline article

third part is the Adult form asking for name, address, home phone, cell phone, email address or other contact info. fouth part is for child.

Please answer these questions with as much specificity as possible. If more than one adult was present, each should fill out a copy of this page.

Why were you at Skyline School on 6/4/10?

What time(s) did you arrive and leave

Did you arrive with anyone else and (if so who?)

At anytime did you see Kyron Horman yes/no (if no skip to #8)

What time(s) did you see Kyron Horman?

Who was Kyron Horman with at the time (if anyone)

Where did you see Kyron Horman?

At any time did you see Terri Horman at or near the school yes/no

At any time did you see a white Ford 250 truck at or near the school yes/no

Is there any additonal information about 6/4/10 that you believe is important for the police to know (examples-suspicious persons, vehicles, etc.) and or would you like further contact by a detective?

Child's name

Did your child see Kyron on 6/4/10 yes/no (if no skip to #6)

Where did your child see Kyron?

Who was with Kyron at that time (if anyone)

Did your child see Kyron's step-mom Terri on 6/4/10 at or near the school?
yes/no

Did your child see a white Ford 250 truck on 6/4/10 at or near the school?
yes/no

Is there any additional information regarding your child being at Skyline School
on June 4 that is important for the police to know?

I don't think the questionnaire is some egregious mistake that will be a defense lawyer's playground someday. LE has been more leak-free and tight-lipped than in any case like this in memory. They have stressed that while nobody has technically been "cleared," nobody is named a POI or suspect. They focused for ages on trying to find and rescue a potentially lost child. They haven't caused a feeding frenzy by innuendo. Now that they have declared the case a criminal investigation, they are re-interviewing witnesses and taking a second look. All the parental figures have to be looked at and and eliminated, especially the last one of them, admittedly, to see Kyron, at the school, the day he vanished. The questions focus on the school, Kyron, TM and any one or anything else suspicious anyone there observed. Regardless of any thoughts or other motives LE MIGHT have, which I don't know, this is the exact same stuff they'd have to ask to clear her, too. They have to do their job for Kyron.

Silly comment I know, but to little kids, aren't all white trucks the same?

I know I still cannot tell apart different pick up trucks and I am 26!

Silly comment I know, but to little kids, aren't all white trucks the same?

I know I still cannot tell apart different pick up trucks and I am 26!

Hi Mywarm . ., I read a couple of days ago that Kyron had told someone their truck had some special kind of engine - like 'Super Duty Power Stroke'. I guess that made it the ultimate Ford250. LOL

What if someone actually saw something, but doesn't want to get involved in a criminal case? I would certainly hesitate if it might make me (or my child) testify at a murder trial. Of course I'd to it, but it would be terribly difficult.

Some people are genuinely fearful of LE. Don't like any involvement.

I don't think the questionnaire is some egregious mistake that will be a defense lawyer's playground someday. LE has been more leak-free and tight-lipped than in any case like this in memory. They have stressed that while nobody has technically been "cleared," nobody is named a POI or suspect. They focused for ages on trying to find and rescue a potentially lost child. They haven't caused a feeding frenzy by innuendo. Now that they have declared the case a criminal investigation, they are re-interviewing witnesses and taking a second look. All the parental figures have to be looked at and and eliminated, especially the last one of them, admittedly, to see Kyron, at the school, the day he vanished. The questions focus on the school, Kyron, TM and any one or anything else suspicious anyone there observed. Regardless of any thoughts or other motives LE MIGHT have, which I don't know, this is the exact same stuff they'd have to ask to clear her, too. They have to do their job for Kyron.

Why would that preclude a defense lawyer from having a field day with the questionaire?

SoCalSleuth - You have been a DA for decades and I always appreciate your responses - would you ever use the information gathered from these questionnaires and interviews (twice) in your prosecution against s-mom? TIA

I would love to see a response from a crim defense attorney on the issues related to the questionnaire. It upsets me that LE can place s-mom, the car she was driving, her missing child, all together, pictures/words. People talk about 'turning the screw' but what about mob mentality, those who want to take the law in their own hands? Can't explain, but this feels like a violation of our Constitutional Rights - isn't there a better way to solicit evidence/info about s-mom. moo mho and all that stuff.

ETA: Especially since s-mom has NOT been named a POI or a SUSPECT..can they actually name her a suspect based on any of the responses to this quesionnaire? :eek:

I haven't been a prosecutor for a number of years, although I continue to teach continuing education courses for prosecutors. First I'd like to respond to Wings' posts many posts back: You are confusing releasing a composite sketch of a suspect/vehicle to the general public with a written questionaire which asks for material information in written form from potential witnesses in a criminal investigation, witnesses who have already been interviewed orally twice--no, I have never heard of that being done before--have you? Second, the prosecutor would have to release the responses to the defense if they contained exculpatory info, if they contained impeachment evidence, or if the witness was to testify at trial (that's the 6th amendment), or if any of the responses served as a basis for a search warrant. Third, would I use the info gathered from interviews and questionaire responses in a prosecution? Depends on the info, the reliability of the info, the credibility of the witness,and whether or not that info could be introduced by independent means. I can't imagine that LE put out this questionaire without approval from the DA. That's what has me confused. The chances that there will be contradictory statements made, intentional or not, is pretty good imo. Memories change with time, people use different words when speaking than when writing, investigators paraphrase interview responses when taking notes, etc.

Why would that preclude a defense lawyer from having a field day with the questionaire?

I don't think it will preclude anything a defense lawyer might attempt, though I think having a field day suggests a measure of success I don't feel is ensured or likely, IMO. "Rush to judgement" is a tired old saw, having been overused when it wasn't warranted. I was just expressing my thought that I don't feel this has been a major mistake to the degree it can be decided already it has harmed a prosecution in the future. Defense lawyers do or try a lot of things, which I distinguish from successfully doing or trying a lot of things. They are prone to pronouncing everything LE does as a boon to the defense case. I get the PR, but the substance and ultimate success are different to me.

"We are requesting that the form be returned on Sunday, June 20 between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm at Skyline School. There will be a uniform police officer in the school parking lot to receive it."

I hope the officer likes to chit chat. He might be privy to some local tips while gathering the forms.

It seems to me that when they interviewed the first time they would have asked these questions. These are really basic and I feel that LE would have been investigating Terri from day one simply because she was the one who took him to school. I can't even imagine a reason that they wouldn't have started with her at the same time they were looking at a stranger abduction or any other scenario. They wouldn't even call it a criminal investigation or kidnapping/abduction in the beginning (at least in public) So why are they sending out a questionaire with these basic questions at this point (two weeks in) when these should have been asked at the first interviews with students, parents and school employees? I can see them asking more detailed questions in a second questioning but these are not detailed or more in depth.

Help me out here.

"We are requesting that the form be returned on Sunday, June 20 between 9:00 am to 7:00 pm at Skyline School. There will be a uniform police officer in the school parking lot to receive it."

I hope the officer likes to chit chat. He might be privy to some local tips while gathering the forms.

I am married to a small town police officer and, believe me, they get some of their best tips from "idle" chit chat with the locals.

I keep thinking, "This form reads like a final exam in a dull social science course." But I can't figure out what they're testing for.

I like the idea of the form, especially where school children are involved.
I believe the form plays on the minds of anyone who may have been too afraid the first time to mention anything. I also think some people generally get by-passed somehow when questioned the first time around. At least with a form they have to sit and think and pray and decide whether what they know is of importance or not.

What if someone actually saw something, but doesn't want to get involved in a criminal case? I would certainly hesitate if it might make me (or my child) testify at a murder trial. Of course I'd to it, but it would be terribly difficult.

Some people are genuinely fearful of LE. Don't like any involvement.

How could you (general you) NOT speak of what you know IF a child's welfare is at stake or worse, a victim of something horrendous?

To me, it is everyone's moral duty to do so especially, when it involves a child! The next child could be yours(general yours) ...

I hope LE realize they're asking this to be returned on "Father's Day" and not sure if everyone will return those forms if they're busy with scheduled family events.

Wonder if the local news reporters are there at the school tomorrow?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila
Back