2010.06.29 -- LE says TH not POI nor suspect

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Multonmah County Sheriff's Office addressed Kaine Horman's decision to file for divorce and seek an order of protection.

"It's a personal matter between family members and we don't get involved in those," sheriff spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand told CNN. "Nothing has changed in the investigation. It's still ongoing. No persons of interest or suspects have been named at this time."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/29/...ion=cnn_latest

To me they are playing an "exact words" game. THey haven't named a POI or a suspect. Doesn't mean they don't have one. Pretty clever.

ETA: Oops, see I'm not the first one to point this out. In that case, ITA

Sanity break:

Just a reminder that the games room and the jury room on WS are nice places to take a breather if you find yourself wanting to snipe, as they offer non-confrontational threads and diversions. Or, you know, you could close the browser for a few minutes.

This has been a mental health public service announcement.

Continue your regular activities at will.

What about the word "or" after interest though? Does that word "or" mean something? Seems like a weird place to use the word "or" -- Has she been cleared?

:trout:

:D

Also what is interesting is when LE was asked if Kristian's arrest was part of the investigation,he said it was.Don't ask me for a link,it's a bazillion threads and posts ago. :) But,I'm holding what LE said in the back of my mind and I doubt it has anything to do with Kristian and Kyron in the nature of what Kristian was arrested for.I believe an adult connection,but whatever,we'll see.LE owes us nothing,they're about finding Kyron and who did what,not feeding the public's curiosity.

How is LE "tricking" people here? By saying they don't have a person of interest?

Formal pressers & official Police statements are not Tricks. No one said they were. That's the whole point. That's why this sloppy reporting - attributing conflicting statements to Lindstram - from various media - is infuriating.

If terri was involved, I don't see her doing it alone.

That sounds a lot like Cindy Anthony about Casey...no offense, but reading that sent shivers down my spine. Don't underestimate TH.

There are many cases where LE named a POI/suspect and they were arrested for the crime. There are also many cases where LE did NOT name a POI/suspect and the perp. was eventually arrested.

But, which cases are there where LE said the perp was NOT a POI/suspect and then they were later arrested for the crime?

TIA!! :blowkiss:

There are lots of cases where this has happened. Just in the past few months and off the top of my head, I can name quite a few people who LE claimed to the media were not suspects or POI's but who were either arrested or warrants have been issued for their arrests: Gebar Byrd, Sr., Eric Gilford, Matthew Barnes, Thomas Mortimer, Jason Young, Raven Abaroa . . .

Formal pressers & official Police statements are not Tricks. No one said they were. That's the whole point. That's why this sloppy reporting - attributing conflicting statements to Lindstram - from various media - is infuriating.

I do agree with that.

CBS article snip (note placement of direct quotations vs paraphrasing)

Sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand said Monday night her office is "not talking about personal issues going on with the Hormans." She said Terri Horman is neither a person of interest nor a suspect.http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/29/ap/national/main6628859.shtml

CNN article (again note placement of direct quotations)

"It's a personal matter between family members and we don't get involved in those," sheriff spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand said. "Nothing has changed in the investigation. It's still ongoing. No persons of interest or suspects have been named at this time."http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/29/oregon.missing.boy/index.html?section=cnn_latest

This case is well beyond the "Person of Interest" stage anyhow. When an arrest is made, it will be their "suspect". Crossing T's and dotting I's right now.

Respectfully, I don't think of it as LE is lying. It's more that LE is under no obligation whatsoever to inform the public as to the inner workings of their investigation.For obvious reasons... They can say whatever they like. IMO in this case they are trying hard to catch a very clever perp....

All JMO

What I don't get is if they aren't lying (when they say she is not a POI) and they don't have to say anything to us, then why say she isn't. Why not just ignore the buzz and let everyone think what they like?

I don't know how much more clear it can be than this:

"Nothing has changed in the investigation. It's still ongoing. No persons of interest or suspects have been named at this time."

Lindstrand is saying that they have not named a POI or suspect. She's certainly not saying that Terri is not a suspect.

Direct quotations carry more weight than paraphrased ones. Paraphrased quotations are filtered through the reporter who does the paraphrasing.

Please, just do me the courtesy of looking at this article. The article that is the original post of this thread, and gave the thread it's title.

This is an AP article, widely circulated. Today's date.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/29/ap/national/main6628859.shtml

Sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand said Monday night her office is "not talking about personal issues going on with the Hormans." She said Terri Horman is neither a person of interest nor a suspect.

I was looking to get to the bottom of it - asked the forum to have a look. I appreciate everyone that found articles with other quotes about POIs and suspects. But, I still don't know how the above ended up in the AP press. Hoping it will be clarified soon.

LE has made TH an unnamed person of interest from near the beginning.I feel this has been playing out to get her or anyone else involved to talk and why this happened yesterday.Basically taking everything away from a person and out of a comfort zone,which I doubt anyone was ever in a comfort zone.But seperating someone from a family and all that was done yesterday is like a final straw.

Sanity break:

Just a reminder that the games room and the jury room on WS are nice places to take a breather if you find yourself wanting to snipe, as they offer non-confrontational threads and diversions. Or, you know, you could close the browser for a few minutes.

This has been a mental health public service announcement.

Continue your regular activities at will.

my sanity died years ago :)

I also want to add that LE's refusal to name a suspect or POI is not a lie to the public. That is my firm opinion.

But they haven't said they don't have a POI...they said she isn't a POI.

Quote:
Sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand said Monday night her office is "not talking about personal issues going on with the Hormans." She said Terri Horman is neither a person of interest nor a suspect.

But yet,they're all over it,the family issuing the family statement without TH's name on it on thier page.I'm sure they're helping guide the family on how to go about this.

does it seem to anyonelse that the family has taken the most action in the last week and LE Hasnt made any moves? what is the status of the search for example?

It's interesting to me that there's no reporter's name on the AP article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roxie1892
Back