2010.06.29 -- LE says TH not POI nor suspect

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There are only two opinions I have on this announcement by LE.

1) They really do not suspect her of any wrongdoing in Kyron's disappearance

or

2) This is some kind of tactic to get justice for Kyron.

3) They may suspect her but there is not enough for an arrest yet and they have to say something because they don't want any concerned citizens going after her in the meantime.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but think it's worth mentioning here too.

The implications of LE not having a POI or suspect at this point are huge.

This means that they still have no idea who took Kyron, or what happened. If after 3 weeks of intense investigation, and looking over the questionnaires, they still don't have a POI or suspect... well, I'd say the police department has screwed up.

IMO, the police saying that makes them look incompetent.

With regard to LE holding evidence close to the vest, this whole situation with Kaine and the divorce and restraining order, etc. -- the longer this case goes without an arrest leads me to believe they either have circumstantial evidence but no real proof against Terri, or Terri is not a suspect and the divorce/RO is a powerplay on Kaine's part that stems from problems preceding Kyron's disappearance.

*snipped respectfully for space*

Honestly, I highly suspect Terri just like so many others. I was right there last night with others who were posting about "when Terri gets arrested." But then I began thinking about how sometimes what seems obvious still isn't the truth and how horrible I feel when I'm falsely accused of something, and my conscience was pinged.

I agree that the behavior of her family lends credence to the belief that she is the person responsible for Kyron's disappearance. I agree that LE could be lying through their teeth when they say she's not a POI/suspect. I absolutely agree that it seems very obvious where this is leading. But I also know that sometimes a situation isn't what it appears and even if an entire family withdraws from a person, that doesn't mean the person is guilty.

In my own life, my oldest brother molested me for years and when I told on him (I told a teacher), he was arrested & my entire family, including my twin brother who witnessed the abuse AND one sister who was also abused by the same brother, sided with HIM because they didn't think it "looked good" for the truth to get out. To this day, 26 years later, they still maintain that I lied about the abuse to try and ruin my brother's life. I have nothing to do with any of them & have been assured by professionals that this is in my best interest. However, I know that to look at the situation as an outsider, it would seem reasonable to assume that my family bonding together and withdrawing from me means I'm a nutcase even though that is not true.

Anyway, I know that Terri may well in fact be responsible for harming Kyron just as it appears, but I am trying really hard to withhold final judgment until LE gives some factual support to that assumption, despite what circumstantial evidence may point to. :)

Thanks for this, I'm not the only one with a family they have to distance themselves from and everyone thinks I'm the nutcase LOL!!!

But it's the way they've gone about it that irritates me. After all of this drama with the family that looks very suspicious, they come out and say simply say, she's not a POI. And we're just supposed to swallow that after all of the info that has come out. Right.

It's like a hurricane is going on outside of the window, and LE is saying it's just a small rainstorm. That's what it feels like to me. I know they don't owe me any information and want to keep their investigation intact, but you'd also think they wouldn't want rampant suspicion and rumor going around about someone who is innocent either.

If she's innocent, say she is and clear her. If she's not, then say she's not and arrest her. Instead, they want to stay on this middle ground of "we know something you don't know and we're not going to tell you!" while things keep happening that make TH look worse and worse. I feel so bad for her because it seems like she's not sure of what the heck is going on and could possibly be suicidal at this point. And all LE can say is "She's not a POI". That's going to help her mentally and emotionally while everyone keeps suspecting her!

I don't want an innocent person arrested, but I don't want a guilty person treated like they are special either (Casey Anthony, anyone?). And if she is innocent, then it is really unfair that LE is just continuing to let her look guilty, all the while staying quiet and saying things that just aren't ringing true anymore. And now her life is being destroyed privately and publicly, and all they can say is "She's not a POI"? That's it? They are starting to sound like the boy that cried wolf, IMO.

All I can say, I really hope I understand all of this when the details finally come out...

Police won't say someone is 'innocent'. They may say her story checks out, or that she's been cleared, but I don't think they'd say 'innocent'.

By the way...

Let's all take into consideration the implications of LE's statement that TH is not a POI or suspect if they aren't lying.

That would mean that LE still has absolutely NO idea what happened to Kyron or who took him.

At 3 weeks out, for them to not have a POI or suspect would be extremely damning. If they still don't have a suspect, they've screwed up.

Respectfully, I don't think of it as LE is lying. It's more that LE is under no obligation whatsoever to inform the public as to the inner workings of their investigation.For obvious reasons... They can say whatever they like. IMO in this case they are trying hard to catch a very clever perp....

All JMO

But it's the way they've gone about it that irritates me. After all of this drama with the family that looks very suspicious, they come out and say simply say, she's not a POI. And we're just supposed to swallow that after all of the info that has come out. Right.

Exactly. It's like LE think the general public are a bunch of fools. To me, it's like a slap in the face. Do you really think we are that stupid?

If LE is deceiving us about TH being a POI or suspect... what else would they find it necessary to lie about?

Believe me, I hit the floor this a.m. when I saw the latest.

I concur. I was on the fence from day one – then last Friday after the biological parents interview I decided that SM was involved at some level – meaning only that it was because of her decisions something had happened to Kyron – I didn’t believe on Friday and I don’t believe today that SM hurt Kyron or knew this was coming. Then throughout Friday I continued to argue with myself because I truly believe a person should be innocent until proven guilty and I have no hard proof. So I kept quiet over the weekend and just read the news and posts. After today’s news, I have no opinion of SM, I am just overwhelmed with grief for Kyron. I keep thinking about my little guys and realizing there is so much I will never understand about this even if/when all the details are released. At this point it doesn’t even matter anymore about all the “what if’s”. I just keep looking at the pics of Kyron – how happy he was – especially on the day of the science fair – he looks so excited…thoughts with you today Kyron.
(This post is only my opinion)

This article doesn't quote Law Enforcement said directly. I wonder if it was one of those situations where LE was asked, "Can you tell us if Terri Horman is a suspect or person of interest?" and the answer was, "No."

I could think of numerous ways to ask that question and get a "No" without it actually meaning that LE doesn't believe TH is involved.

Originally Posted by JBean
Be careful to not start discussing each other . Read your post and decide if you are discussing the case or other members. If you are discussing other members, you shouldn't be.

thanks

where this post lands is random.

copying once again...........

I mentioned this in the other thread, but think it's worth mentioning here too.

The implications of LE not having a POI or suspect at this point are huge.

This means that they still have no idea who took Kyron, or what happened. If after 3 weeks of intense investigation, and looking over the questionnaires, they still don't have a POI or suspect... well, I'd say the police department has screwed up.

IMO, the police saying that makes them look incompetent.

Did LE say they don't have a POI or suspect? Or did they say Terri Horman is not a POI or suspect?

3) They may suspect her but there is not enough for an arrest yet and they have to say something because they don't want any concerned citizens going after her in the meantime.

I had not thought about that. If they don't have enough to arrest her but say she's a suspect, certainly a mob mentality could do real harm to TH here. Maybe that's why they won't say much until they know for sure. Still frustrating as heck, but I would understand not saying anything if they feared for her safety. They'd rather have her alive to be prosecuted or cleared, not dead because they let the cat out of the bag too early. I just hope they are keeping an eye on her right now to make sure she stays safe.

Good job, Donjeta! That's a really good point to keep in mind. I need to calm down and not be so fiery about things until I know the details.

WW has learned from a source at the Multnomah County Corrections Division that there’s been a plan circulating for about two weeks among corrections staff in case Terri Moulton Horman is arrested in connection with the disappearance of her 7-year-old stepson Kyron Horman.

The source says the plan —in the event of the stepmother’s arrest— is for staff to notify immediately Corrections Health Director Gayle Burrow as well as mental health staff. The idea, the source says, of notifying mental health staff is so they could perform an evaluation of Terri Moulton Horman and put her on a suicide watch, if she is taken into custody.

Oh for the love of ....

This is no doubt their protocol and not specific to this particular case.

This "reporter" is really beginning to get on my nerves :furious:

"Plan circulating" my ***

Police won't say someone is 'innocent'. They may say her story checks out, or that she's been cleared, but I don't think they'd say 'innocent'.

Why doesn't Terry just come out say it's ridiculous that she is being thought of as a suspect in this case. 500 camera crews would line up at her front door if she made a statement.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Lt. Mary Lindstrand said Monday night her office is "not talking about personal issues going on with the Hormans." She said Terri Horman is neither a person of interest nor a suspect.

Well,this says alot to me.If she is not a suspect or a person of interest and they say it's a isolated incident and the community should not be alarmed about thier children.Who is a suspect?Does LE have any suspects?

Also, they've never given their evidence that this was an isolated incident and that other children aren't in danger.

If you don't know what happened or who took him, and have no POI or suspects, how do you know that it was an isolated incident and that other kids aren't in danger?

Either LE is lying about something, or they've botched the investigation.

Hi Wings (nice handle by the way) -

Isn't there another option though?
If LE was 'giving their evidence' before they are ready to make an arrest, then it very well could botch the investigation. That is PRECISELY why they aren't doing it. The Captain said they do not plan on making any mistakes in this case.

The clues they have dropped (such as saying it was an isolated incident) tells us they know enough to have the confidence to say that to other parents out there.

While I deeply respect your right to have and voice an opinion, I most definitely do not agree with your belief that LE is lying or has botched the case.

I just posted this in the other thread and am repeating it here.

Please stay ON TOPIC. This thread is about LE stating TH is not a suspect. The other thread is about the divorce and RO filed.

In here, we should be discussing our thoughts on why we think LE made that statement and speculate whether that makes sense based on what we know.

Issues about Kaine and the split belong on the other thread.

This post landed randomly in the thread.

Why doesn't Terry just come out say it's ridiculous that she is being thought of as a suspect in this case. 500 camera crews would line up at her front door if she made a statement.

I'm sure they would line up but I don't think it would be a good idea for her. Lots of suspects have said it's ridiculous and it doesn't mean that we all believe them. (Just look at Drew Peterson.) Sometimes saying the wrong thing in the wrong tone rubs people the wrong way and the public opinion may turn out worse for the suspect/non-suspect. If she's in a state of crisis because of the divorce and everything it would probably be advisable to stay out of the public eye. It brings more notoriety for her and it can't be good.

Isn't there another option though?[/I] If LE was 'giving their evidence' before they are ready to make an arrest, then it very well could botch the investigation. That is PRECISELY why they aren't doing it. The Captain said they do not plan on making any mistakes in this case.

The clues they have dropped (such as saying it was an isolated incident) tells us they know enough to have the confidence to say that to other parents out there.

While I deeply respect your right to have and voice an opinion, I most definitely do not agree with your belief that LE is lying or has botched the case.

At what point did it become okay for a police department to flat out lie to the public?

Sure, don't make the arrest until you have all the evidence.

But deceiving the public into thinking she is not a POI when she is... I don't think that is ethically (and possibly legally) okay, nor is it necessary.

They could easily state "We are looking at everyone." Or better yet, if someone asks "Is she a suspect," they could just say "We can't answer that until the investigation is compete." Instead, they are saying flat out "She didn't have anything to do with it."

The point is, there are much better ways to make the same point without lying.

I know this is a weird position to take, but maybe it's because I've sort of followed the Anthony case in all its public craziness and tawdriness. The very thing that is so frustrating about this case to me as an outsider is the very thing that I think LE is doing right. They're doing what's necessary for Kyron and are not giving in to public outcry for more information if they don't feel it's in the best interest of the case. I know a few publicly admitted facts and a few allegations that are just going uncontradicted by LE at the moment (TH says she left Kyron at school at 8:45 am, for example) and absolutely nothing of the evidence they have or don't. LE isn't publicly accusing TH and is not responsible for our speculations and suspicions. The other family members haven't accused her of anything, though we speculate about the areas where their words or actions are cryptic. The statement says that they are "one" with LE after having been fully informed of the criminal investigation to date and that they aren't saying more. LE may have a little evidence, a lot but they want more, and they may want whatever they can get from TH for as long as they can get it. I don't fault them for that. Kyron has been gone way too long - that was true after a couple of hours. But this investigation is not that old, if you measure it in time and not degree of torment to the parents, and Kyron hasn't been found, which in the majority of cases is an expected and optimum part of the picture.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*
Back