2010.06.30 - KATU Confirming TH posting in its Comments Section

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you completely. I guess there are still people out there who think they are truly anonymous when they post online.

That being said, I think it's crappy of any site to give up their users' identities, except to law enforcement when requested.

I agree... I always figure whatever you post online or in an email has the potential to be read in court. So I think long and hard before I send some emails and post things. For the most part, yes it's the internet, why would you think it's entirely private?

Well, I wonder what the privacy statement says when you sign up? That they can trace your email and release that information to the public? Sheesh.

ETA: Maybe the email address was public? Was it visible in the postings or by looking at her account? In which case I suppose *anybody* could have traced it, and it wouldn't seem such a breach of privacy.

It looks like KATU uses IntenseDebate, which is associated with AutoMattic, whose privacy policy is here: http://automattic.com/privacy/ . (You can trace this by clicking "IntenseDebate" at the bottom of the comments section and then clicking privacy policy at the bottom of the IntenseDebate page.)
The thing is, though, that users can have a profile in which they can reveal certain information about themselves. If her public profile included her email address, then I think it was fair game for them to report.
But if they had access to her email account through their contract with AutoMattic, then I don't think it was right, maybe not even legal. I don't know.

I hope she hasn't been doing a lot of phone calls or texting either. Casey Anthony practically handed her case to LE because she could not shut her mouth or stay off of her cellphone. I really hope TH was smarter than that.

Really? I really hope she's been yacking it up if it helps locate Kyron...so be it!

Really, I don't know what the big deal is. She used a name that most people knew was associated with her. It doesn't seem like she was trying to hide, in spite of speaking in the third person. If she really wanted to be anonymous she would have used a name not known to be one she used.

It was stated at the link that 5 days after Kyron disappeared, TH and Kaine were seen leaving the gym after a workout. Further stated that people called her actions "unbelievable."

Going by this, it appears that people were critical of TH for going to the gym for a workout. Well, if she and Kaine were leaving the gym together, did he go there for a workout too?

I wonder why the criticism of TH (before arrest, trial and conviction) and not KH too?

Can someone explain the difference to me, please?

Yes, you do have a reasonable expectation of privacy. If they identified every one of their members that would be one thing but to identify only her and only because she is in the spotlight is wrong. Would it be okay for Tricia to out you because she found out people would be interested in who you are?

ETA: Just using you as an example, not suggesting anyone is interested in knowing who you are.

I have ZERO expectation of privacy on this internet forum or any other. My broadest expectation is that people who googled this site can't figure out who I am. Other than that....I expect zip, bupkus...nada. Afaik, the mods or any poster can and will disclose any personal information they have about me under whatever circumstances they choose to. And I wouldn't blame them or care. It's my decision whether I choose to give them that option.

I hope she gets the psyche eval she so desperately needs. I feel so sorry for this little boy and his family. Poor DY must wake up to a living nightmare every single day that her very UN-selfish act of letting someone she trusted raise her precious boy because she was ill may have resulted in his disappearance. I really think we're looking at a female Ward Weaver if indeed she is responsible.

Wow, I guess Terri should have been actively working with herself to listen and obey other adults and authority. She basically told all that the trip to the gym was actually for "hitting it", working out instead of donning a backpack of water and trail mix, walking several miles just looking or trying to spot signs of Kyron........

Yes, you do have a reasonable expectation of privacy. If they identified every one of their members that would be one thing but to identify only her and only because she is in the spotlight is wrong. Would it be okay for Tricia to out you because she found out people would be interested in who you are?

ETA: Just using you as an example, not suggesting anyone is interested in knowing who you are.

It makes a difference to me that they did this when TH has not been arrested or even named a suspect. It seems premature. Now, if she were charged with the crime or named as the prime suspect, I think it would be appropriate to out her identity in their comment section. I would hope that if Tricia discovered that a suspect in a crime was posting here without identifying themselves as such and trying to manipulate the discussion by lying about facts, that she would let members know. (Of course, that would be a difficult decision she'd have to make according to the circumstances, but I believe it has been done before. Maybe in the Abraham Shakespeare thread?)

It makes a difference to me that they did this when TH has not been arrested or even named a suspect. It seems premature. Now, if she were charged with the crime or named as the prime suspect, I think it would be appropriate to out her identity in their comment section. I would hope that if Tricia discovered that a suspect in a crime was posting here without identifying themselves as such and trying to manipulate the discussion by lying about facts, that she would let members know. (Of course, that would be a difficult decision she'd have to make according to the circumstances, but I believe it has been done before. Maybe in the Abraham Shakespeare thread?)

Me, too, but only after passing the info to LE first and seeing if they want her to let the person keep talking without realizing LE is watching or whether LE might need her to keep it under wraps til it wouldn't affect their case.

yes ma'am - and the accused murderer in that case posted all kinds of stuff, even (I think) pretending to be her own son in defense of his mother :sick:

It makes a difference to me that they did this when TH has not been arrested or even named a suspect. It seems premature. Now, if she were charged with the crime or named as the prime suspect, I think it would be appropriate to out her identity in their comment section.

The newspaper will never be able to say they wouldn't reveal a source. Not that she was a source, but as you mentioned she hasn't been named a suspect if they won't protect their users identities, they shouldn't be allowed to protect anyone's. Bad move on their part.

Ugh.

IMO, the paper outing a civilian commenter is iffy and icky.

But Terri's comments under her nic in that paper have already been outed in social media. I wonder if another paper is running the same story - and this paper felt compelled to answer inquiries - either squelch the rumor or confirm the rumor that Terri was posting on their comment boards along side the community.

Still, ugh, iffy, icky.

Betcha the comments will slow down now on that online news site! I mean...now that everyone who reads there knows they can and will trace a comment back to the author! Sheesh! :doh:

Yes, you do have a reasonable expectation of privacy. If they identified every one of their members that would be one thing but to identify only her and only because she is in the spotlight is wrong.
~snip
I'm in total agreement and I think what you said in this post and your other posts on this topic are well put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove