2010.07.26 Grand Jury begins

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, I am curious in Sylar's case too, why they jumped so quickly to presume he is dead. I think it due to his age (that he probably did not wander off, or they would have found him) and also his scent being tracked only a short distance.

sorry a little OT but have they already said they presume Sylar is deceased? do they think by stranger or that custodial parent he was camping with?.....sorry ot

Channel 2 news

www.katu.com (no info online yet)

Update at 11:00 re property search was about a place on NW Bishop Road owned by DDS aunt. Didn't seem it was searched today -- but sometime in the last two weeks.

Aaarg!

Wonder if that's the house where DeDe was working that morning ?

PDX=Portland International Airport?

Anna from KATU - Is it possible to make an arrest without finding Kyron?

Multnomah County DA Mike Schrunk - Oh certainly, we've tried cases without bodies before. But let's not talk like that...that's kind of...you know, I'm still hoping we find him."

This gave me the impression that he does not want to talk about him being dead... that he still hopes they find him alive. When he said "I'm still hoping we find him" he even looked like he was emotional and trying not to cry.
I like the DA too.

I thought so too.

Oh yay!! :woohoo:

And BTW cookies sure does sound good right now. Its 2am here and Im hungry!!

If I had any cookies you could have them....but I've only got ice cream, instant breakfast and Vodka. (Not necessarily to be used together in any way.)

You could have the ice cream too... :angel:

Though personally I think we would all send our cookies to Kyron if he was ever home to eat them.... "Cookies for Kyron". It could work.

Desiree probably had a purse too :)
Maybe we should start a thread on it...:)
did she have a purse? takes me back to a thread this morning discussing how we notice things that seem odd to us. i didnt notice if she had a purse, probably because most women i see do have purses. but i live in mayberry (sort of) and nobody carries a backpack. the college kids have them in their cars and probably carry them on campus, but i never see anybody on the street with one. well, except me when i walk down to the grocery store. i carry it because its easier to carry than bags, even with just a few things, so i did notice that KH had a backpack and it made me say "hmmm wonder what he needs that for", but that was all i thought about it :)

Channel 2 news

Update at 11:00 re property search was about a place on NW Bishop Road owned by DDS aunt. Didn't seem it was searched today -- but sometime in the last two weeks.

Aaarg!
Thank you for the info. It answers the question as to whether that property is owned by a member of her family. The property is 9 acres. It seems she may have lived there before she moved to the condo. My guess is that she was working somewhere else the morning of Kyron's disappearance but maybe that info will come out at some point.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/99801789.html

“It’s clear that the district attorney, who is the legal adviser to the grand jury, is now confident enough to start this process. Hopefully, that will lead to an indictment,” said Bruce McCain, an attorney and former Multnomah County sheriff’s captain.

“They (Kyron’s parents) are probably going to be the first in a long list of civilian witnesses who will be joining the investigators and boxes and boxes of evidence in this process,” he said.

The district attorney’s office wouldn’t confirm how long the grand jury has been seated or how long it expects jurors to hear testimony, but sources at the courthouse Kaine and Desiree are the beginning of a long list of witnesses who will be called to testify.

Several people have confirmed to KATU News that they, too, have been called and added to that list of witnesses.

McCain said if Terri Horman is the prime suspect in the case, she won’t be called to testify.

“Terri will not be called to the grand jury if she is in fact the prime suspect, because if you have your prime suspect testify to the grand jury, then you just granted them immunity in the process if you compel them to testify,” he said.

did she have a purse? takes me back to a thread this morning discussing how we notice things that seem odd to us. i didnt notice if she had a purse, probably because most women i see do have purses. but i live in mayberry (sort of) and nobody carries a backpack. the college kids have them in their cars and probably carry them on campus, but i never see anybody on the street with one. well, except me when i walk down to the grocery store. i carry it because its easier to carry than bags, even with just a few things, so i did notice that KH had a backpack and it made me say "hmmm wonder what he needs that for", but that was all i thought about it :)

BBM

Yes, she had a purse. She carried it over her right shoulder more to her back than to the front.

Here is the video of what was on at 11pm, which goes with the above article: http://www.katu.com/news/local/99801789.html?tab=video

"Sources say we can expect to see a lot of people connected to Kyron's case coming through here in the coming weeks."

They list all the people we mentioned, school employees included.

Weeks... I am trying to wrap my brain around that.

I am trying to wrap my brain around what charges they might be.

I cannot comprehend or accept either one.

So maybe "weeks" isn't a bad thing to give his family time to be informed about whatever it is that is going on.

Channel 2 news

Aaarg!

Wonder if that's the house where DeDe was working that morning ?

Nope.:(

It was said in the short piece on this that DeDe had not been there to visit in months.

Once again, so much excitement and no resolution...however:

1. The GJ may go on for weeks, per the 11 p.m. news with lots of "civilian" witnesses being called, including family members/both sides, school personnel/teachers, bus drivers, cafeteria workers, etc.

2. McCain (the former police captain/now attorney) talked about how the GJ does "not invite main suspects" to testify.

3. The top floors of the Courthouse are now indefinitely off-limits to the press.

Meanwhile, here's a brief OT update :dj: from our WS banter this evening that certainly kept my spirits up:

1. There's no rain in sight here in Portland (though most hoodie wearers are still "hoodied up.":dance:

2. I agree with newone's post postulating that "the rest of the world wonders if people in Portland even own full length mirrors." (I may do a survey).:curtsey:

3. Here's a link for LadyL (& any others who are curious) about the use of "PDX" as "shorthand" for "Portland.":propeller:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/28192/airport_codes_the_meaning_behind_the.html?cat=16
Many Airports in the USA Have Strange Three Letter Codes. Read on to Find Out Why!
"PDX, LAX, SRQ, and CYS: The airport codes for Portland, Oregon; Los Angeles, California; Sarasota, Florida; and Cheyenne, Wyoming, respectively, do all have one thing in common. The last letter of each of these cities' three-letter designations is just filler letters that mean nothing at all." (italics mine).

4. As Jasmine pointed out, PDX has good reason for our famous bumper sticker, "Keep Portland Weird" :woohoo: -- and newone wisely advised any visitors to "dress down.":yes:

Meanwhile, here's a brief OT update :dj: from our WS banter this evening that certainly kept my spirits up:

1. There's no rain in sight here in Portland (though most hoodie wearers are still "hoodied up.":dance:

2. I agree with newone's post postulating that "the rest of the world wonders if people in Portland even own full length mirrors." (I may do a survey).:curtsey:

3. Here's a link for LadyL (& any others who are curious) about the use of "PDX" as "shorthand" for "Portland.":propeller:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/28192/airport_codes_the_meaning_behind_the.html?cat=16
Many Airports in the USA Have Strange Three Letter Codes. Read on to Find Out Why!
"PDX, LAX, SRQ, and CYS: The airport codes for Portland, Oregon; Los Angeles, California; Sarasota, Florida; and Cheyenne, Wyoming, respectively, do all have one thing in common. The last letter of each of these cities' three-letter designations is just filler letters that mean nothing at all." (italics mine).

4. As Jasmine pointed out, PDX has good reason for our famous bumper sticker, "Keep Portland Weird" :woohoo: -- and newone wisely advised any visitors to "dress down.":yes:

[/FONT]

I love the scanner thread. Portland is a hoppin' town LOL

thank you for sharing, because it helped me to finally clue in as to what PDX meant ... well, I still don't know what precisely each letter stands for but at least I now know it means Portlanders ... right? LOL

so it's the Airport abbrev...I thought since Outer Banks (NC) is OBX, PDX might be Portland Docks...Okay, it's early and I haven't had coffee...commence throwing the tomatoes!

A bit OT, but here in Louisville (KY) we have "Keep Louisville Weird" bumper stickers as well.

It's a campaign to encourage people to frequent locally owned businesses rather than large chains.

bbm
somewhat geocentric - the rest of the world wonders if people in Portland even own full length mirrors - singularly the least groomed group in america

...are prepared to challenge your assumptions!

On another site, (sorry) someone stated as fact that if Terri were to be required to appear before the GJ and testify and she invoked her 5th amendment right that she would then be charged with NOT COOPERATING and would face jail time and fines.

Anyone?? know if there is one single case out there where someone said "I'll plead the 5th" and they were charged with it?

Also, if the GJ doesn't hand down an indictment or finds the no evidence (can't think of the term) can they meet again and again until they find a charge? Or is this a one time deal?

Thank you so much to who ever answers this, I do Google but I find myself lost in all the information. I have no Grand Jury experience.

I don't think they can call in the person they suspect, but anyone can be sent to jail if they will not answer GJ's questions unless they can prove 2 specific criteria.

The most notable people that I know of that have gone to jail because they refused to give the GJ answers are: Susan McDougal and Judith Miller. Neither
were charged with the actual crimes that were being investigated.

FOUND THIS DEF IN "FINDLAW"

The Grand Jury's Role
Grand juries are similar to regular juries (also known as "petit juries", except that a grand jury's job is simply to decide whether or not charges should be brought in the first place rather than deciding the guilt or innocence of a person at trial. A prosecutor presents evidence to the grand jury, and the grand jury returns its verdict on whether or not charges should be brought and what charges those should be. Here are some of the other primary differences between a grand jury and a regular jury.

•Grand juries view evidence to decide whether to file charges, but don't decide guilt like a regular jury.
•Grand juries generally have more jury members than a regular jury, with some grand juries having as many as 23 members. Regular juries generally have between 6 and 12 members.
•Grand juries don't require a unanimous decision and sometimes only require a simple majority. Regular juries require a unanimous decision.
•Grand juries meet secretly, whereas regular juries serve in public trials.
How Grand Juries Work
Unlike regular juries, grand juries do a lot behind closed doors. This means that potential defendants are not present during grand jury proceedings and neither are their lawyers. The prosecutor gives the jurors a "bill" of charges, and then presents evidence, including witnesses, in order to obtain an indictment. These proceedings are secret, but transcripts for the proceeding may be obtained after the fact. Prosecutors like grand juries because they function like a "test" trial and enable prosecutors to see how the evidence will be received by jurors.

If the grand jury indicts a defendant based on the evidence presented, it returns a "true bill". If the grand jury decides not to indict, it returns a "no bill". However, even if a grand jury does not indict, the prosecutor can return to the same grand jury and present additional evidence, get a new grand jury, or even file criminal charges regardless.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mygrowingbranches
Back