2010.07.26 Grand Jury begins

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From what I gather, the Grand Jury can meet again on this as many times as necessary as more evidence comes in.

Yes... and my inner hope is that Terri would testify, although I really don't think that will happen.

I also don't think Desiree or Kaine can just go in there and "blah, blah, blah... I think this, I think that...." That's not how GJ rolls, from what I know of my limited legal opinion. They are convening to get enough evidence to indict, and that means THEY ask the questions about facts, not feelings. I dunno if they can have water or a sammich there.

IMO, etc. yadda...

No didn't mean that at all.... not a lawyer either, here, lol.
I just meant- prosecution must think a GJ might be able to determine if someone they are calling might have evidence (knowingly or otherwise) as to where Kyron is. In order to call them.
Any of them. Yes? Or am I way off base too?

Yeah kinda off base. The prosecution already has built a case with whatever evidence they have. The GJ is informed what the prosecution is wanting to charge the person(s) with. They also are given a book of OR Statutes so they can look up each and every charge, to see if it makes sense. However, they can even recommend to add charges to the original ones, so in that respect what you're saying could be true.

In OR, the GJ is convened to decide whether the prosecution has enough evidence to indict and go to trial. Like someone said here, in some states they skip the GJ and go to a preliminary trial, which basically does the same thing.

So the GJ really isn't a "discovery process" as I see it anyway. It's more a reaffirmation process, because those charges are already written and will either be reaffirmed with an indictment or discredited as not enough evidence to indict. I'm not very good at using the legal terms, but that's how I'd explain it.

Yes... and my inner hope is that Terri would testify, although I really don't think that will happen.

I also don't think Desiree or Kaine can just go in there and "blah, blah, blah... I think this, I think that...." That's not how GJ rolls, from what I know of my limited legal opinion. They are convening to get enough evidence to indict, and that means THEY ask the questions about facts, not feelings. I dunno if they can have water or a sammich there.

IMO, etc. yadda...

If you are not on the stand can you be in the room? If you had to wait outside the room until the last witnesses were done...I could see why if KH had to wait he would have brought snacks, work?, maybe even a laptop if he does work there...is that a possibility? I was thinking more along the lines of using whatever was in the backpack while he waited for his turn...

Yeah kinda off base. The prosecution already has built a case with whatever evidence they have. The GJ is informed what the prosecution is wanting to charge the person(s) with. They also are given a book of OR Statutes so they can look up each and every charge, to see if it makes sense. However, they can even recommend to add charges to the original ones, so in that respect what you're saying could be true.

In OR, the GJ is convened to decide whether the prosecution has enough evidence to indict and go to trial. Like someone said here, in some states they skip the GJ and go to a preliminary trial, which basically does the same thing.

So the GJ really isn't a "discovery process" as I see it anyway. It's more a reaffirmation process, because those charges are already written and will either be reaffirmed with an indictment or discredited as not enough evidence to indict. I'm not very good at using the legal terms, but that's how I'd explain it.

What are considered facts in this case?

This has me thinking, did they have an 'expedited' line for TY, DY, KH? Did they have to wait w/ everyone else or was there a 'backdoor'' entrance? Do we have any idea who else has been called?

No problem! it was my fault. My nick is masculine.

An expedited direct line in the back way, and 3 totally cleared of public floors to keep media out.:woohoo:

An expedited direct line in the back way, and 3 totally cleared of public floors to keep media out.:woohoo:

Really? Wow...wonder if they were the only ones called, or if there is more we don't know about.

If you are not on the stand can you be in the room? If you had to wait outside the room until the last witnesses were done...I could see why if KH had to wait he would have brought snacks, work?, maybe even a laptop if he does work there...is that a possibility? I was thinking more along the lines of using whatever was in the backpack while he waited for his turn...

I'm not sure I get your question. The prosecution offers up "evidence" to the GJ, and the GJ decides whether that "evidence" is enough to go forward to an indictment and trial. Not sure what you mean by facts?

snipped by me

hmmm Well that would be all the stuff we don't know/hear about :)

sorry it is sooo frustrating that we know so little of the known LE facts that I couldn't help myself..

It's my understanding that the GJ will finally get to the facts of this case that is available so far. They aren't going to be looking at the innuendo, the hearsay ect...

Just my opinion.

When I sat on the GJ, there was only the prosecutor, us, the GJ and whomever was testifying. That's it. (Oh, and a live cam thing when we received testimony from a detective off site.) Everyone else was out in the hall waiting their turn. We had two 15 min. breaks and a 1/2 hour lunch. And of course, not allowed to talk with anyone, even our spouses, about the cases.

I'm not sure anyone has posted this but there is an interview with Dede Spicher's friends from CBS on KOIN

http://www.koinlocal6.com/mostpopul...ung-called-before/10QkYxWoqkyk5HGxkWOiMg.cspx

I transcribed some of it for everyone to read.

In an Interview with CBS news,friends of DeDe Spichers said she was attending a landscaping class at a local nursery, when Kyron disappeared and that she left her cell phone off. That's the 90 minutes of silence the authorities what to question her about. Her friends say when Kaine Horman moved out, friends say Dede dropped what she was doing and staying with Terri for 10 days at the family home..Dede would never be involved anything that would "hurt" anyone and if Dede felt that if Terri had anything to do with this we would not be standing next to Terri per friends.

Former Federal Prosecutor Lori Robinson says by bringing Dede to the Grand Jury the Prosecutors that they are sending the message that their focus is on Terri Horman and the people that are closest to her.

Former Sheriffs Captain Bruce McCain says;It is also an indication that investigators have no tangible evidence or even a crime. So they are using the Grand Jury to get that evidence.

if true, and I'm not suggesting it isn't, why wouldn't the people at the house have known that ... seems strange that she wouldn't mention it to whoever she was working with ...

Her future ex-husband's ex-wife's husband? Unless he and she talked about custody directly and weekend visits, I highly doubt he knew her that well. While I am sure that he did witness things she said and did...I am nut sure that he can speak about how that differs from her past demeanor. DY didn't/doesn't like TH and from all that I have read it was DY and TH that communicated the most about/over Kyron. While, I am not saying he wouldn't be a valuable witness as far as "yeah, she said this...and this... and this..." just because someone rants about a LDT or pings or whatever doesn't make them guilty. Odd reactions don't make people guilty. Not all batsh$@ crazy people are guilty.

Besides I personally think that by publicly outing TH as a liar (like DY and KH have done) has shot themselves in the foot. Unfortunately I can hear TH's lawyer now: "oh she said that...but didn't your wife call her a liar?"

So what would be your idea of why TY is there?

Whatever "evidence" this prosecution has, we obviously don't know it. Because with what little we know, I doubt any of us could come up with foolproof case against her.

Darn it, I just hope they are right in going forward with this and have the evidence they need and that there hasn't been a case of police department blinders put on while letting someone else literally get away with murder. I keep thinking of Jon Benet and how LE there was so sure it was the family. :(

TY is there to testify as a witness to the actions and statements of TH after K disappeared, and any other person, for that matter. TY can also testify as to the first hand knowledge he has of the history of the relationship of all these players.

Purses, briefcases...those make sense to me.

Backpacks...what do you carry in a backpack that you can't carry in a briefcase.

IMO: backpacks to court seem a little too laid back-which leads me to assume that KH had something that wouldn't fit in a normal briefcase. Photo albums?...hmm maybe as someone else stated "a battery operated fan".

LOL

I don't know how many of you remember the brouhaha over what Kaine wore to court to file for the RO -- shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes, etc.

There was talk here on WS ranging from criticism about him being so casual, to comments that maybe he didn't have lots of clothing choices because he'd just quickly vacated his home that weekend with Baby K after being informed about the MFH issue.

At the time, I posted about the laissez faire attire attitude that tends to prevail here in Portland, even when it comes to heading out for the courthouse. :doh:

And now, we have the backpacks in court issue!

So, another Portland peccadillo for non-locals:

The number of backpacks carried anywhere in PDX is approximately equal to the pairs of Birkenstocks (worn with socks), along with Bermuda shorts (donned at any temperature above 32 degrees), Starbucks coffee containers, and :Bicicleta: :Bicicleta: :Bicicleta:

I think PDXers have more backpacks than umbrellas!
Even at the courthouse...

Sorry if this is too OT.
I just needed to laugh and share a bit.

On another site, (sorry) someone stated as fact that if Terri were to be required to appear before the GJ and testify and she invoked her 5th amendment right that she would then be charged with NOT COOPERATING and would face jail time and fines.
sbm

I don't think someone knows what they're talking about.

LOL

I don't know how many of you remember the brouhaha over what Kaine wore to court to file for the RO -- shorts, t-shirt, tennis shoes, etc.

There was talk here on WS ranging from criticism about him being so casual, to comments that maybe he didn't have lots of clothing choices because he'd just quickly vacated his home that weekend with Baby K after being informed about the MFH issue.

At the time, I posted about the laissez faire attire attitude that tends to prevail here in Portland, even when it comes to heading out for the courthouse. :doh:

And now, we have the backpacks in court issue!

So, another Portland peccadillo for non-locals:

The number of backpacks carried anywhere in PDX is approximately equal to the pairs of Birkenstocks (worn with socks), along with Bermuda shorts (donned at any temperature above 32 degrees), Starbucks coffee containers, and :Bicicleta: :Bicicleta: :Bicicleta:

I think PDXers have more backpacks than umbrellas!
Even at the courthouse...

Sorry if this is too OT.
I just needed to laugh and share a bit.

I have to admit, AB, that I replayed the clip of all three of them going to the GJ, just to make sure that KH had on long pants today!!

Minus the children this was a 4 parent blended family...I am sure that KH and TH spoke to each other about DY and TY and vice versa...I have been a step-mother and I know that my husband and I spoke about the children's mothers often (not derogatory but just in general) I am sure that TY knew as much about TH as TH knew about TY...With that being said, it would be very important for a GJ to hear from all 3 parents DY, KH and TY, they were all together in some form or fashion after Kyron was reported missing, and for that reason the GJ would want to get statements from each to see what they all had seen and heard during that crucial period of time...It may be that 1 of them may have seen or heard something that the other 2 did not, and the GJ would also match up the statements of all 3 who may have seen the same things.....I do not understand myself why anyone would be questioning why Kyrons step-father would be important to this investigation by all accounts he is part of this blended family....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog
Back