2010.08.16 Misty Croslin Scheduled For Hearing On Drug Charges

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:waitasec: LOL, well, there's still one Croslin brother not incarcerated. I bet Timmy feels like there is a bullseye on his back right now. I don't see how Ron can testify against any of the people who were arrested with him, they have all pled out. It is only a matter of time before we get to hear the next version of what happened to Haleigh, according to Ron.

Good point. If they all pled no contest, RC should not get any plea deal. Why would they even consider it? Unless he has offered to give up his drug source (the person who gets the stuff from the VA according to the tapes). If he helped haul in some big fish, then maybe, but they didn't need him for the croslin crowd.

I thought Hope rejected the youthful offender status and its requirements. She wouldn't get 15 years as a youthful offender.

From Art Harris's blog, and quoting the jailhouse tapes of Hope:

(quotes eliminated here)

Harris was stating at that time) that Hope has already pleaded "no contest" and is awaiting sentencing. His implication is that the judge had the discretion to sentence her as a "first youthful offender" and she would have gotten something like boot camp and rehab, which she rejected, unfortunately in a way that became public. There is also the sad part that Hope probably had no idea that she was essentially admitting guilt or that her attorney was speaking for her:

The judge cited Hope's earlier drug charge and recidivism:

<Sigh.> She had no idea...

Hope was no innocent, she had pled "no contest" in previous charges before this, she thought she'd get off again as she had done several times before. She didn't realize her sassy mouth and the fact she was on probation would come into account. This was NOT Hope's first "nolo" plea.

Circuit Judge Terry LaRue said he ordered the minimum mandatory sentence because Sykes sold drugs within weeks of being released from jail on an earlier drug charge.

Sykes had been out of jail less than two weeks on a possession charge when she was arrested in the trafficking case, which LaRue said disqualified her for youthful offender consideration that would have meant a much shorter sentence.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/...gs-father-sentenced-15-years-drug-trafficking

The judge also said this current trafficking charge was more serious than her earlier charge.

Can anyone explain to me the 240 years being reported Misty could get? I have been trying to do the math and I do not see that amount of years. Are they thinking all her charges have 25-year minimums, or are they figuring the maximum she could get with all charges? Help, please?

I can see Misty actually getting 6 years in Putnam (on each charge but served concurrently) and 15 in St. Johns. The St. Johns is the most serious of all the charges but Donna got hers reduced to a 15-year minimum (just by pleading Nolo and saving the state having to try the case) so I see no reason why Misty could not get hers reduced as well. And my personal opinion is Misty should qualify as Youthful Offender on the Putnam charges. The judge might not agree...but I hope he looks at Misty with an open mind and an open heart. Misty is a kid who was hooked up with a real [unusual person], IMO. Not that she should not pay, but it does not make any sense to put her in prison until she's almost 40. Especially since the previously-mentioned [unusual person] will likely get off with less.

O/T: my stupid thing was drunk driving - I could have killed innocent persons in my car or others not in my car. Heck, I was so naiive, I didn't even realize I WAS drunk when I got in my car to drive 30 miles in the winter on icy roads. The following day I asked my bff how we got home and she said I drove, and she didn't know I was drunk either! We were both stupid ...

Been there and done that,,,I have thanked the good Lord many, many times for saving me a life of regret and possible suicide,,If I had hurt anyone much less killed someone, I would NOT have lived with that..I couldnt.

O/T: Something else I find of interest is that WBG's charges have been dropped/case closed. He was arrested on drug charges as well a few months ago and he to has a long rap sheet like Ronald.

O/T
Only one case has been closed. He's still in his home away from home, the Putnam County jail, awaiting his next court date, October 7, 2010.

http://public.pcso.us/jail/bookingDetails.aspx?SYSID=760768&IMG=52125

See the court dockets thread:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Updates ~ Court clerk information

Just out of my own curiousity I would like to ask Papa and others why you say the defense attorneys of the ones already been convicted are lacking in integrity and such by what has gone down in court......Many years ago I was convicted of a DUi (in my dumber years) and I had a very well paid attorney. The state had my BAC and such evidence as to more than likely prove my guilt...My attorney advised me to plea guilty rather than go to trial...I did so and the judge threw the book at me.....It has been a real long time ago so I dont remember the details however the attorneys who know the state has the evidence to convict so why is everyone saying all of these people got a raw deal.....I am just trying to understand....My PAID lawyer did no better for me than these state attorneys are doing for this group...I am just not getting why some of you are saying these lawyers have thrown their clients to the wolves...What would you have them do different? I really would like for someone to give me an answer.

Can't answer for the ones who think that way.

Here are my thoughts:

I'm not saying they got a raw deal because I know the law and there are minimum mandatories in place. Plus, going to trial could get these folks LOTS more prison time, including higher than maximum mandatory at the judge's discretion. I do believe their attorneys, given the video and audio evidence, realize these people are "done for".

However, I am wondering about Fields telling the judge about the overwhelming evidence, although I think it may have been in response to the judge's possible question about why letting his client plead "no contest", which is obviously something the judge should do. Just like the judge must ask the accused if the charges and the pleading are understood before sentencing.

IMO, Werter's best plan would be to bring in a child psychologist, as a witness. I know she's a 'legal' adult now, but when this all got started, she wasn't. If I had a 16, 17, year old daughter, living like Misty was, I'd turn to a child psychologist, (not an adult psychologist), for help. I just would, & think most people, would do the same. But, Hank & Lisa are not your average parents. I think her background, at home, should be run through with a fine tooth comb, her schooling, her life with Ron, the big age difference, his domestic abuse issues, his prior drug issues, everything. show what led this young girl to the this point. get the judge to understand that she was failed by her parents, failed by the education system, (they knew that girl wasn't in school), CPS, (she should've been taken away at a very young age). & Fields needs to explain that is is exactly what happens, when a baby, then a kid, is completely tossed aside, & not cared about. Having her dad admit to his own drug abuse won't be enough. I hope Fields plan is to do this, but I doubt it. I'm scared that he's gonna go along with the cop's, (who are NOT mental health experts), assessment, that Misty is a hardened, incorrigible, carreer criminal. I surely hope not.

Perhaps this is why Fields needs three hours to present a defense before sentencing.

I must say, your heart is much kinder than mine, although there were times when I actually felt sorry for Misty. I do think she was taken advantage of by Ronald, and do blame her parents for allowing her to marry him. Who would do that under the circumstances? :eek: She's been failed her entire life by people responsible for her, but there comes a time when everyone has to grow up and make choices. Too bad her choices were terrible in the less than two months she was legally classified as an adult (not counting the months of her "marriage"). :shakehead:

It doesn't look good for Misty. Showing the videos of Misty doing the drug exchanges wouldn't set well with a jury, I'm afraid. But you never know. She hasn't been sentenced yet. Time will tell.

Not everyone is as engrossed in this case as we are. I was talking to a Florida couple over the weekend, I mentioned the Haleigh case, and to my surprise, they had no idea what I was referring to!

Can anyone explain to me the 240 years being reported Misty could get? I have been trying to do the math and I do not see that amount of years. Are they thinking all her charges have 25-year minimums, or are they figuring the maximum she could get with all charges? Help, please?

They're looking at 8 counts times 30 years, which is the maximum for each charge (not mandatory minimum and mandatory maximum). Some charges could get 15 to 30 years, others 25 to 30 years. See?

Hope also spent all last summer in jail, she has quite the record, so she was not eligible at all.

I'm not sure how you figure Hope spent all last summer in jail last year? Did she spent time in jail in a county other than Putnam? She spent a total of seventeen days in jail in Putnam County. Those days were divided - two days, (2 hours),and 15 days for a total of seventeen days. Not really all summer, but not fun, either.

Out of those arrests, one of the charges ended up being dropped.

I just don't get why Hank and Lisa weren't there, after all, they are in the Putnam County jailhouse, so it shouldn't have been a terrible burden to transport them to court like they did for Tommy? Maybe because this was just a plea date and not a sentencing date as was Tommy's? That must be it.

Snipped.

Yes, Hank and Lisa wouldn't have been there today since this was only Misty changing her plea. With them both being incarcerated, PC wouldn't pay to transport prisoners just to watch Misty change a plea.

If they are going to be called as a witness at Misty's sentencing, then Putnam County will have to transport them. Since Fields has said he needs about three hours to present his case, and will be calling witnesses, it seems likely that Hank and/or Lisa will be called on Misty's behalf (probably to state the same types of things they did at Tommy's sentencing).

I am really hoping that one of the news stations there will live stream that hearing for us non-locals to watch. Maybe if we all pick one and email, they'll do that for us. (News4Jax seems the most likely) :angel:

aksleuth, ITA. As my mom has always told me "life is about choices, you can either make good ones or bad ones". IF Misty had chosen to have a better life than what she was born into, she could have acheived so much more. She chose the easy/lazy way out and she's going to have to live with those choices. Not a popular stance, I know, but it's JMO.

They're looking at 8 counts times 30 years, which is the maximum for each charge (not mandatory minimum and mandatory maximum). Some charges could get 15 to 30 years, others 25 to 30 years. See?

Thanks, I think I see where they are getting the 240 from, though I still think it's inaccurate. When she was first arrested, I heard 114 years, then 174 years, now it's up to 240 LOL.

Yeah OK, it's not funny.

I really dislike the way media reports things these days; it's like there is no quality control and they are free to say whatever they want, accurate or not. And then we have entertainment/tabloid people like NG and JVM. I mean, technically it's accurate that Misty could get close to or exceeding 200 years in prison but it's never gonna happen like that. Yet they report it as if it's a real possibility. I shudder to think of how many citizens take media and entertainment/tabloid show hosts at their word.

"...duh, it's a fact...I know cuz I heard it on Nancy Grace last night..."

Egads :banghead:

I really dislike the way media reports things these days; it's like there is no quality control and they are free to say whatever they want, accurate or not. And then we have entertainment/tabloid people like NG and JVM. I mean, technically it's accurate that Misty could get close to or exceeding 200 years in prison but it's never gonna happen like that. Yet they report it as if it's a real possibility. I shudder to think of how many citizens take media and entertainment/tabloid show hosts at their word.

"...duh, it's a fact...I know cuz I heard it on Nancy Grace last night..."

Egads :banghead:

Many people take these statements as fact. Sad, but true.

Two hundred forty years sounds unreasonable. If they were saying 80 to 90 years just for the dramatics, it would sound somewhat more plausible. Even 30 years sounds like a stretch to me, although I wouldn't cry "foul" if she got more.

aksleuth, ITA. As my mom has always told me "life is about choices, you can either make good ones or bad ones". IF Misty had chosen to have a better life than what she was born into, she could have acheived so much more. She chose the easy/lazy way out and she's going to have to live with those choices. Not a popular stance, I know, but it's JMO.
I'll be ok with Misty living with the consequences of her choices, if Ronald has to do the same. He hasn't been made to, in the past, so we'll see. If he had been in prison, where he belonged, none of this would've happened. ironic, isn't it? I hope the judge makes that point, & throws the book at him. no more 'get out of jail free' cards for Ron.

Did Flo Hollars mention the part about Haleigh being wrapped in a bag on the first "bombshell" interview when she initially stated what she was told??? How did I miss this before?

I thought the first story she told was ... a yellow rope was tied around her and tied to a brick or cement block .I hated typing that .

Respectfully snipped:
...Misty is a kid who was hooked up with a real [unusual person], IMO. Not that she should not pay, but it does not make any sense to put her in prison until she's almost 40. Especially since the previously-mentioned [unusual person] will likely get off with less.

Did you moderate your own post with those :ziplip: brackets? :thumb:

Respectfully snipped:

Did you moderate your own post with those :ziplip: brackets? :thumb:

Yes.

I also put myself in a corner when I deserve it. Can't be upsetting the mods, right?

Many people take these statements as fact. Sad, but true.

Two hundred forty years sounds unreasonable. If they were saying 80 to 90 years just for the dramatics, it would sound somewhat more plausible. Even 30 years sounds like a stretch to me, although I wouldn't cry "foul" if she got more.

BBM.

I have been riding the fence on that. One day I tilt toward wanting Misty to rot in prison and the next day I insist she be given the benefit of every possible doubt.

I think the reason I cannot be consistent is because Misty's crimes (trafficking) are non-violent. In the vids she flits around, tosses her hair, flirts with the UC...she's basically a young girl looking for a thrill or two. Not to mention acceptance; I have little doubt Misty felt needed when the UC called her, asking to deal. Sounds weird, I know, but I look back on my teen and early adult years and some of the stuff I did solely to fit in. I was not dealing drugs or robbing people, but I did some incredibly stupid carp.

My biggest gripe is that violent offenders more often than not do not face these kinds of prison sentences. Yes, we hear of those where the death penalty is a real possibility, and we hear of some who will get life w/o parole, but there are some very violent individuals who get arrested time and time again, yet never stay inside for long. They make bail easily because bonds are low for their charges. DS is accused of hurting young girls and he's been out on bond for years while he awaits trial, having been blessed with continuance after continuance. Yet Misty--charged with non-violent crimes--sits in jail on a bond of more than a million dollars. Another thing that gets under my skin is the possibility that Ron could be out long before Misty ever again sees the light of day; that thought turns my stomach.

Misty may have hurt a small child, yes. At one time I was convinced she had but I am not so sure anymore. I do believe Misty has not told all of the events of that night, but whether she hurt Haleigh is a gnawing question in my mind, another question on which I ride the fence. On the days when Misty feels to me to be guilty, I want her to go away forever--even if it has to be on drug charges. But on the days when I think she did not do anything other than what she was told to do by others, I hope for leniency for Misty.

All in all, I will be just fine with Misty going down for the count as long as Ron goes too. However, I fear that Ron might come out of this mess with the lowest sentence of all the players. I may have to pack up and leave the country if that happens.

All JMO.

I hear ya, krkrjx. Many of us probably did incredibly stupid things as teens and young adults. I doubt the vast majority of our actions included losing a child in our care and then refusing to be honest about what happened.

I agree about Ronald. He needs to go DOWN. If it weren't for RC, poor little HaLeigh wouldn't be in the fix she's in now - gone. It was his criminal activities, his drugs, his leaving his young children in the hands of a drug-addicted, hungover underage teenager. No matter how HaLeigh was lost, killed, taken, the dirt is on his hands. He's gotten away with too many illegal activities because two women keep getting him out of the messes he was in over the years. He's skirted too many times. Now a child is gone and he was the (ir)responsible parent. He needs to do time, lots of time. If RC got 240 years, it wouldn't be enough.

I think the reason I don't have sympathy for Misty now is because of her lack of sympathy and compassion for HaLeigh. She's all about Misty (and Ronald) and nothing else matters. She'd rather go down on drug charges than to tell the truth about HaLeigh. To me, that's unforgivable.

ah sorry I feel no pitty for Misty or ANY of these other players.

Just because you have a hard childhood etc does not give you a right to go out and sell drugs. Drugs that can KILL children ( and that MAY of cost lil Haleighs life)

Listen I had a hard childhood.. I didn't finish past 7/8th grade in school. I was abused my whole life and aged out of foster care. I had NO ONE . BUt I MADE a life for myself. I chose not to do drugs ( when it was all around me) I made the choice not to be abusive( when it was all I had known). I made the choice to break the cycle of abuse when others would not.

I am sorry I really am but I am sick and tired of excuses being given to people because of their past. WE ALL have choices. The fact is she IS a adult at 18 and at 18 she DOES know better. She was adult enough to get married , adult enough to sell drugs ( including one sale that was going near a school) Then she can be adult enough to pay the price. Drugs is a majior problem in this world and one that takes peoples lives everyday I am glad to see a court taking it serious.

BTW yes I did dumb things but I didn't do anything that could cost someone their life or put a life of another person at risk.

the Fact is when a Drug dealer sells drugs them drugs can end up in hands of a child and that child can end up dead.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back