2010.12.14 Hearing - Telephonic *Updated* Order p.5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Boo. And hiss.

JP is truly bending over backwards to avoid appeals though.

JAC says defense is already over their allotted hours. Even before today.
by Gabe Travers/WESH.com via iPhone at 1:11 PM
wesh live wire

Gabe sez JP sez giving this because death is on the table. Wish KC WERE listening in.

OMG baez gets another 175 hours for his fishing expedition!

JP says you can get an order when I see the details. I don't just give orders in blank.
by Gabe Travers/WESH.com via iPhone at 1:19 PM

this is regards to the travel motion

JP says he must see actual amount
by Gabe Travers/WESH.com via iPhone at 1:19 P

one would think that HHJP would have learned that jb never has that handy:furious::banghead:

I get how this is a DP case...but it's been 2 plus years...if they haven't found the "real" killer...maybe they should ask their client what she knows.

ok so apparently the JAC claims baez is already over his investigative hours.
That includes those hours already spent.

So not sure until the JAC goes over how many are already overbilled..how much more baez truly gets.

What a mindfruck

ok so now it's 110 hours after the JAC overbilling charges are paid..

WTF how confusing

Is HHJP going over these bills with a fine tooth comb?

I thought he gave them only 60 hours last time, and that he'd be watching how it was spent.

DID he watch it?

I'm really getting nervous with house easily HHJP is doling out fishing expedition money.
It is starting to feel like a judge ito courtroom :(

o/t a bit..did the defense team hand over those 2 experts details today by noon?

Posted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:29 pm
• First up is investigative hours motion.
• Baez says there is "a plethora of witnesses that need to be interviewed"
• 110 witnesses
• Baez does not believe they warrant depos.
• But they do need to be interviewed he says
• Baez wants computer generated reports on the witnesses that tell things like last known address and ph numbers
• JP asked for more details on the request.
• JP asks of Baez has looked at JAC guidelines for use of investigative hrs
• JP referring to a specific invoice. JP not sure if it is all reimbursable. Baez ok with that

Gabe Travers/WESH.com

• JP says he has concerns about some of the invoices he has
• Generally these are people that we have to do our due diligence -Baez
• Says prosecutors have listed all witnesses as class a. No b or c.
• JP says he is going to grant some more hours. Not clear yet how many
• JAC says defense is already over their allotted hours. Even before today.
• JP saying that he can't control how many witnesses state listed
• Says he does not believe the hours are excessive...because death is on the table.
• JAC math says hours already submitted mean Baez only has 30 hrs left. Buy JAC hasnt gone through invoices
• JP: I want this case to progress
• JP granting another 60 hrs
• JP reiterating that some of the invoice hours may not be reimbursable with taxpayer money

Gabe Travers/WESH.com

• Now onto travel motion.
• Baez says all experts willing to follow JAC billing rules. Says order is needed from judge
• JP says you can get an order when I see the details. I don't just give orders in blank.
• JP says he must see actual amount
• Baez says reqs already submitted to JAC. But declined bc there was no order
• Reminder from Perry there is a status hearing Monday re penalty phase witnesses
• Wait we are clarifying the hrs order.
• ok... So it's 110 whatever the defense may be OVER. That's how many granted.
• And how much they may be over is debatable. JAC needs to go through invoices.
• JAC says they already are over. That's why it is 110. So they have 110 to work with AFTER JAC figures out how much over.

...over.

OK OK deep breath.

HHBP is well aware of the defense's inclination toward calling foul on judges, and is aware of the need to avoid appealable issues here. He is also well aware of the judicial need to maintain impartiality. If he gives more leeway to this irresponsible defense team ("When was the defendant first indicted, Mr. Baez? And when did discovery begin in this case?" paraphrased), the worst that can happen is that we "bloggers" get restive. The defense will use this money to spin the media and to fritter away the remainder of the time they could be using to prepare for a real argument at trial. The State will still present a rational, targeted, irrefutable argument at trial, and they need only to rely on the known facts let alone those that only the legal teams are privy to. But if HHJP cuts the defense off at the knees as they deserve and have worked so hard to earn, he guarantees the State of Florida endless costly appeals and ICA the ongoing hope that someday she will be free to enact her RV plans upon the hapless Irish orphans of the world.

From a cost-benefit analysis standpoint, much at it hurts to say it, His Honor is doing the right thing. IMO!

(ETA--lauriej, thank you for the succinct summary of Gabe's missives!)

OK OK deep breath.

HHBP is well aware of the defense's inclination toward calling foul on judges, and is aware of the need to avoid appealable issues here. He is also well aware of the judicial need to maintain impartiality. If he gives more leeway to this irresponsible defense team ("When was the defendant first indicted, Mr. Baez? And when did discovery begin in this case?" paraphrased), the worst that can happen is that we "bloggers" get restive. The defense will use this money to spin the media and to fritter away the remainder of the time they could be using to prepare for a real argument at trial. The State will still present a rational, targeted, irrefutable argument at trial, and they need only to rely on the known facts let alone those that only the legal teams are privy to. But if HHJP cuts the defense off at the knees as they deserve and have worked so hard to earn, he guarantees the State of Florida endless costly appeals and ICA the ongoing hope that someday she will be free to enact her RV plans upon the hapless Irish orphans of the world.

From a cost-benefit analysis standpoint, much at it hurts to say it, His Honor is doing the right thing. IMO!

(ETA--lauriej, thank you for the succinct summary of Gabe's missives!)

I agree. Well said. I just find it soooo frussstrating that Baez has no issues frittering away tax payers hard earned money, on ICA, and then have the nerve to question how much the prosecution has spent (A lot less from previous reports on other threads and MSM)

Something stinks, and I find it so maddening that lawyers like JB exist.:furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saiyasofya
Back