2011.01.18.: "Briefcase" found that *may* contain evidence in Zahra Baker case

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I do believe the case may have been left there after searchers had given up on the idea. Either that or for whatever reason EB did not divulge the breifcase disposal area but simply indicated the prosthetic/bone area to LE.

That is assuming the briefcase is even related. I do not assume if it was placed there later that AB would be the only likely suspect. I still feel convinced there are other persons who may have involvment in if not the killing of Zahra, the disposal at least.

Did we ever hear exactly what "containers" LE was searching for when looking for Zahra?

Is it possible the leg bone/prosthesis - found across the street (more or less) from this find was dragged from closer to where the briefcase was found by a scavenger?

I'm wondering if after possible blood (and decomp?) were hit on in the B's cars - if whoever had possession of the dirty blanket/clothing worried their car may be searched, then used the briefcase to avoid getting trace transfer in their own vehicle, also possibly using the briefcase to point suspicion at someone.

Question? An earlier post mentioned AB having a briefcase at their wedding to carry a laptop to use their own music at the reception - didn't A & E get hitched in the Baker's backyard? :waitasec: Or am I remembering wrong? Sleep deprived almost to the point of hallucinations, I could be remembering some other back yard wedding... :skip:

based on the infamous wedding photo we've all been picking apart, the photo at least was taken in someone's driveway, a private residence. I would imagine it was the Bakers. I also recall hearing the wedding took place there.

As to the possibility that the prosthetic and bone were dumped nearer to the briefcase and dragged by wildlife to the place they were found - possible, but not so likely imo. If EB indicated to LE that items were dumped "along here" I would expect LE to have been searching all around the general area on both sides of the street. Based on video, reporting and the area searching was going on, it appears she led them to the side of Christy Rd where the finds took place. This is just my own feel for it, but I believe EB led them to the area where Eckart intersects with Christy and shown that area to search. Had EB also indicated that there might be more to find on the other side of the road from ekart, I think LE searches would have been more concentrated there and from all appearances, they did not spend much if any time checking the area where briefcase would later be found.

didn't work for me either but I found it by search wcnc's archival search heres the link, hope it works when I do it.

http://www.wcnc.com/home/Permanent-Memorial-for-Zahra-Baker-114383549.html

When word of the discovery was made public, bloggers pointed out that in a wedding picture of Adam and Elisa Baker, Adam is holding a briefcase.

Thanks for the link. Have you heard of any other pictures surfacing from that day? Perhaps there may be a clearer shot of the briefcase, if it is in fact one.

I have not seen or heard of any other photos of the wedding day but I think the best place to start would be the photobuckets compiled by some of our members when this case was first breaking. Many of the scoial network sites that were public pre zahra case have since been closed or set to private. Several WS members had saved pics from those pages prior to them going private. If I recall, Amandareckonwith and several others have photobuckets with lots of zahra related images.

Also val over at the hinkmeter I think has some images and the one we have all been looking at was i believe from EB's daughter's social site page, they may have more.

hth

After blowing this pic up in Photoshop and adjusting levels, saturation etc., IMO AB is holding EB's hand. EB is holding a small posy in that same hand. When zoomed to about 400% it looks like the faint green of the leaves (similar to what's on AB's shirt) and some type of small black flowers. That's my impression anyway.

It would also be interesting to see if a small fawn/brown blanket shows up in any of the photos in the photobucket account Funnygirl directed LE to.

I have not seen or heard of any other photos of the wedding day but I think the best place to start would be the photobuckets compiled by some of our members when this case was first breaking. Many of the scoial network sites that were public pre zahra case have since been closed or set to private. Several WS members had saved pics from those pages prior to them going private. If I recall, Amandareckonwith and several others have photobuckets with lots of zahra related images.

Also val over at the hinkmeter I think has some images and the one we have all been looking at was i believe from EB's daughter's social site page, they may have more.

hth

I'd rather not see these threads fill up with material taken from social networking sites that are now set to private, please.

According to Jake Icenhour's FB page the items in the briefcase had nothing to do with Zahra, or anyone who knew her.

According to Jake Icenhour's FB page the items in the briefcase had nothing to do with Zahra, or anyone who knew her.

..captain whisnant also didn't think so when they came across it:

“They found a briefcase with an old mildewed blanket inside,” said Hickory police Captain Thurman Whisnant. “We don’t know if it’s related (to the Zahra Baker case). It’s probably not related.”

The case and the blanket it contains will be sent to the SBI lab for analysis along with additional pieces of information.

“Obviously, we have hundreds of pieces of evidence,” Whisnant said.
Maj. Clyde Deal of the Hickory Police Department said the blanket is tan and was found folded in the case, but officers have not handled it and do not know what size the blanket is.

“You’ve got to be careful when you’re dealing with evidence like this,” Deal said. “We’re not going to handle it and open it up. It’s going to stay folded and go to the lab.”

The briefcase did not contain any thing else of substantive value, Deal said.

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...ds-briefcase-near-where-zahras-pro-ar-704576/

“They found a briefcase with an old mildewed blanket inside,” said Hickory police Captain Thurman Whisnant. “We don’t know if it’s related (to the Zahra Baker case). It’s probably not related.”

The case and the blanket it contains will be sent to the SBI lab for analysis along with additional pieces of information.

Maj. Clyde Deal of the Hickory Police Department said the blanket is tan and was found folded in the case, but officers have not handled it and do not know what size the blanket is.

“You’ve got to be careful when you’re dealing with evidence like this,” Deal said. “We’re not going to handle it and open it up. It’s going to stay folded and go to the lab.”

http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/news/...ds-briefcase-near-where-zahras-pro-ar-704576/

I thought about how to estimate the size of the blanket, besides being single bed size, picnic blanket size;

There is this old trick where you can only fold a piece of paper in halves only a certain amount of times before it becomes too thick to fold and to test how many folds...well I can't find a piece of paper. It's 6 or 8 ( I think ) therefore if the blanket were anything like folding the paper for example neatly folded it MIGHT be 6 or 8 times the size of the briefcase. Not sure how that folding works for rectangle shaped blankets though if it is not a square shaped one :)

Hey all, the original wedding photo came from Amber Fairchilds facebook or Myspace. all of which have been set to private. Belive me I tried to find a better copy. But hey if anyone has a cached version of her page maybe we will find more. I'm am on the hunt for pictures that would be from homes they were are or thier homes however with everone set to private that means it is very diffiacult. I have been throught the 900+ pics of amandarknwith/ crankycrankerson's photo bucket and have not found anything but hey keep your eyes open who knows what you will find. good luck!:seeya:

“They found a briefcase with an old mildewed blanket inside,” said Hickory police Captain Thurman Whisnant. “We don’t know if it’s related (to the Zahra Baker case). It’s probably not related

Well if LE thinks it's unrelated, I'm happy to take their word for it.

Hey all, the original wedding photo came from Amber Fairchilds facebook or Myspace. all of which have been set to private. Belive me I tried to find a better copy. But hey if anyone has a cached version of her page maybe we will find more. I'm am on the hunt for pictures that would be from homes they were are or thier homes however with everone set to private that means it is very diffiacult. I have been throught the 900+ pics of amandarknwith/ crankycrankerson's photo bucket and have not found anything but hey keep your eyes open who knows what you will find. good luck!:seeya:

If it's private then we can't relink it, thems the rules, but good on you for all the work you did with this one, even though it ended up unrelated it was a fun bit of sleuthing funnygirl :)

sigh, right back to where we were pre-briefcase hoopla. Nowhere with any sort of sustantive charges against anyone on Zahra's death and dismemberment.

OK, I've run some levels, curves and smart sharpen on this image, and interpolated it to 300 dpi, then cropped. It was a very low quality 72 dpi image to start with that a media service captured from facebook. This is as good as it gets from this quality original image. I (or anyone else) would need a higher res/larger/original image to be able to enhance this further.

Things to ignore are: the posterising in the colours, ignore the over-exposed and pixelated areas (particularly on Adam's pants and the white wedding dress). Just look at the contrasts of light and shade around his hand. This is all I have concentrated on in the adjustment. You can see there is an object that appears to have a number of adjacent circles as the light captures the edges. I have no idea what it is!

attachment.php

With all this zooming in going on can anyone read the actual wedding certificate to see what name she used on it?

Can't read the name but it does look like sunglasses in his hand.

Too bad she had a cast on her arm for the wedding. j/k ;)

I just found this photo of the lovely couple in Crankycrankerson's photo bucket. Its another angle. and I think the dark thing is not a fence after all it looks like a car.??? I zoomed like 400% to make it bigger.

I don't know what picture you were trying to show, the one in the link is AB's MS - set to private, with the lovely couple walking down the street.

That pic shows the backyard and the Baker's fence viewed from inside the backyard. What you are thinking is a wheel next to the leg man in red shirt behind them is actually a bubble. That is indeed a fence, simply a different view, one from within the yard. The other photo is them standing on the outside of the fence (opposite side of yard fence).

Besides, Captain Whisnot is quoted as saying the briefcase is most likely unrelated to Zahra so for now I am taking a wait and see attitude. This will be my last post about the photos til LE can confirm/announce the briefcase is even about Zahra.

Too many degrees of separation. There is a briefcase that MAY be related or not and a photo of what MAY be a briefcase (I think not but thats me) that MAY be similar or the same as the one that MAY be related to Z.

Just way to many MAYs involved for me to devote anymore time to it.

I been thinking about the MAYs too.

The briefcase MAY not have even traveled from Australia.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back