2011.04.28 Emergency Media Motion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw a posting on facebook from CaseyAnthonyUpdates asking where their FL fans are located...part of a social media experiment to help break the biggest secret of the case. They want people to email them.

Are they really that desperate? I don't think it will work, but seriously???

Why can't these media people who are playing games just leave well enough alone and quit trying to cause trouble? I really do not understand why they just can't act like adults and follow the judge's rules. Certain media always trying to "one up" the other media is getting just a little bit ridiculous.

JMHO

with the ruling... does this mean (since there is no confidentiality agreement) that hhjp will not disclose it to the media period?

or does it mean he will but sans confidentiality agreement?

eta: sorry I just saw Azlawyer's post... I feel stooopid now..

:therethere: It's okay.

ZsaZsa, iirc, HHJP had said previously that he would tell one attorney from each side the location Monday, May 2. Remember Baez whining about wanting 30 days instead of the one week HHJP was willing to give them?

And I also thought there was something said about any objections being filed by this past Wednesday.... anyone else remember anything about that, or did I just dream it?

You are correct. The media even reported Wednesday night that they must not have objected because no motion had been filed. I asked this same question on the hearing thread today. I thought maybe it was the whole change of venue they withdrew.

I again watched the hearing from Monday.....

Just some tidbits to ponder....(#'s are deemed accurate but only presented as valid within a generally acceptable error rate)

During the argument by Judith M.......

By my count, the term "Voir Dire" was bandied about seven (7) times.

In a departure from his normal demeanor, HHJP interrupted Ms. M 18 times to ask questions. Most often she was unable to do so with any certainty.

The term "Unconstitutional" was used 3x.

Ms. Mercier was not only lacking in her knowledge of case specifics (draft agreement and case law), but in her passion for the argument. Given her lack of passion for her cause....me thinks she wasn't in agreement but simply acting on behalf of "others".

They'll probably be like little kids - BUT BUT THAT'S NOT FAIR!!!! And then they'll throw a temper tantrum, LOL.

Pippy was probably tearing out his eyebrows! :floorlaugh:

As a member of the media, it is clear that all of you do not really understand what REALLY happened with this motion.

But let me assure you: most in the media are not "whining" about the 5th DCA's ruling. They're applauding it.

As any professional journalism organization (Poynter Institute, IRE, SPJ, etc) will tell you, it is highly unethical for journalists to enter into a quid-pro-quo for information. Likewise, it is unethical for journalists to withhold known information from the public (with possibly a few rare exceptions, such as a threat to national security)

Imagine if President Obama rounded up a small number of reporters and promised to give them exclusive information if they promised to report in on his terms and when he wanted it. The public would go nuts, accusing those media of bias and being the president's lap dog.

When Judge Perry first proposed the "confidentiality agreement", he did so with genuine kindness, knowing the media would need the extra time to transport and set up their equipment.

But Judge Perry is not a journalist, and did not appreciate just how seriously most organizations take their ethical responsibility.

When Perry announced the agreement, nearly all the media organizations immediately opposed it on ethical grounds.

I am only aware of two media companies that were willing to sign the agreement: InSession (which would have benefited the most by having extra time to set up all of their equipment needed for the courthouse pool feed), and WFTV (which some in Orlando consider to be among the most unethical news organizations in town).

You are all smart people. Think about it. Why would all the other news outlets refuse to sign Perry's agreement? It was a win-win for them. They would get advance notice of the jury selection location, and if they learned about it from an independent source, they were still allowed to report it! What harm would there be in signing the agreement?

The harm would have been the selling-out of journalistic integrity and credibility. (You can argue that the media has sold-out in their coverage of the Anthony case. But clearly many media organizations still subscribe to a level of professional standards.)

So when the Associated Press (a reputable media company) led the charge against Judge Perry's agreement, they had good reason to challenge it in court. And the 5th DCA agreed, striking it down.

Of course, the AP and others could have simply torn up Perry's agreement and not worried about it. But when it comes to the business aspect of news, Perry's agreement gave unethical journalists a huge competitive advantage.

Those outlets that signed the agreement and were given advance notice of the jury selection location could have shown up there, looked for some obscure independent "confirmation" such as a taped off parking lot or a glimpse of the prosecutors, and then broadcast their "exclusive" to the world.

(The 5th DCA ruling raised questions of how Perry's agreement could be enforced. It's possible that a party that signed the agreement and then reported the location might later be forced to reveal their independent "sources" in court, another major violation of journalism ethics. The agreement had many pitfalls I don't think many of you considered.)

The organizations that refused to sign the agreement lost nothing. They were never going to receive information from the court about jury selection anyway. But with the 5th DCA's ruling, unethical organizations that are willing to sell-out their journalistic integrity will no longer have an unfair advantage over those that abide by some level of professional responsibility.

What I think confused many of you was the secondary issue raised by the media's attorney involving improper closure of a public proceeding.

In any other case, it would be outrageous for a judge to intentionally block the public from learning about a court hearing. The media attorney had a professional duty to make those arguments on behalf of her clients, and force the judge to explain his highly unusual decision.

But I suspect she probably knew what the 5th DCA later affirmed: this is not a usual case, and the judge has wide discretion to protect a defendant's right to a fair trial. That might explain why her arguments over that aspect were less-than-compelling.

But in the end, her media clients (and every other organization that refused to sign the agreement) got what they wanted: the same access to the court proceedings as everyone else.

But in the end, her media clients (and every other organization that refused to sign the agreement) got what they wanted: the same access to the court proceedings as everyone else.

Respectfully snipped...

I thought what they said they wanted was immediate access to the location information, as waiting until Monday at 8 am would be "news delayed," which is "news denied."

Respectfully snipped...

I thought what they said they wanted was immediate access to the location information, as waiting until Monday at 8 am would be "news delayed," which is "news denied."

I'm sure those media outlets genuinely believed the judge was interfering with access to a public proceeding. In any other circumstance, this would be appalling (Imagine if your city council was holding a public hearing about a new nuclear power plant going up in your backyard, but they refused to announce the location of that public hearing until hours beforehand. And that hearing could be anywhere in the state.)

But I think anyone who's watched Law & Order knows that a defendant's right to a fair trial trumps nearly everything. Surely the media's lawyer did, too, and that's why Judge Perry pounced all over her.

But remember, the title of the media's motion primarily addressed the confidentiality agreement. That's what I think the media was most interested in getting overturned. And they succeeded.

As a member of the media, it is clear that all of you do not really understand what REALLY happened with this motion.

But let me assure you: most in the media are not "whining" about the 5th DCA's ruling. They're applauding it.

As any professional journalism organization (Poynter Institute, IRE, SPJ, etc) will tell you, it is highly unethical for journalists to enter into a quid-pro-quo for information. Likewise, it is unethical for journalists to withhold known information from the public (with possibly a few rare exceptions, such as a threat to national security)

Imagine if President Obama rounded up a small number of reporters and promised to give them exclusive information if they promised to report in on his terms and when he wanted it. The public would go nuts, accusing those media of bias and being the president's lap dog.

When Judge Perry first proposed the "confidentiality agreement", he did so with genuine kindness, knowing the media would need the extra time to transport and set up their equipment.

But Judge Perry is not a journalist, and did not appreciate just how seriously most organizations take their ethical responsibility.

When Perry announced the agreement, nearly all the media organizations immediately opposed it on ethical grounds.

I am only aware of two media companies that were willing to sign the agreement: InSession (which would have benefited the most by having extra time to set up all of their equipment needed for the courthouse pool feed), and WFTV (which some in Orlando consider to be among the most unethical news organizations in town).

You are all smart people. Think about it. Why would all the other news outlets refuse to sign Perry's agreement? It was a win-win for them. They would get advance notice of the jury selection location, and if they learned about it from an independent source, they were still allowed to report it! What harm would there be in signing the agreement?

The harm would have been the selling-out of journalistic integrity and credibility. (You can argue that the media has sold-out in their coverage of the Anthony case. But clearly many media organizations still subscribe to a level of professional standards.)

So when the Associated Press (a reputable media company) led the charge against Judge Perry's agreement, they had good reason to challenge it in court. And the 5th DCA agreed, striking it down.

Of course, the AP and others could have simply torn up Perry's agreement and not worried about it. But when it comes to the business aspect of news, Perry's agreement gave unethical journalists a huge competitive advantage.

Those outlets that signed the agreement and were given advance notice of the jury selection location could have shown up there, looked for some obscure independent "confirmation" such as a taped off parking lot or a glimpse of the prosecutors, and then broadcast their "exclusive" to the world.

(The 5th DCA ruling raised questions of how Perry's agreement could be enforced. It's possible that a party that signed the agreement and then reported the location might later be forced to reveal their independent "sources" in court, another major violation of journalism ethics. The agreement had many pitfalls I don't think many of you considered.)

The organizations that refused to sign the agreement lost nothing. They were never going to receive information from the court about jury selection anyway. But with the 5th DCA's ruling, unethical organizations that are willing to sell-out their journalistic integrity will no longer have an unfair advantage over those that abide by some level of professional responsibility.

What I think confused many of you was the secondary issue raised by the media's attorney involving improper closure of a public proceeding.

In any other case, it would be outrageous for a judge to intentionally block the public from learning about a court hearing. The media attorney had a professional duty to make those arguments on behalf of her clients, and force the judge to explain his highly unusual decision.

But I suspect she probably knew what the 5th DCA later affirmed: this is not a usual case, and the judge has wide discretion to protect a defendant's right to a fair trial. That might explain why her arguments over that aspect were less-than-compelling.

Understood it.
Trusted Judge Perry's decision,considering it was a difficult situation either way.
What difference did it make if you recieved notice FOR JURY SELECTION the same day? Frankly ,I think it was a courtesy to extend a confidentiality agreement.I don't believe he had any legal obligation to give the public a heads up.He wasn't keeping anyone out.
What upset me was the possibility of a delay. It's already taken too long .Why not make your motion when he first told everyone how he planned to inform the media? Why wait until just days prior to the start,when so many more important things are being decided.:waitasec:

Bottom line, the media's motion did nothing to further getting JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE,and that's a priority with many here.

Oh,we understood it just fine,IMO.

Thank you for taking time to share your point of view. I see you have been a member of this forum since early 2010. i wish you had shared your POV earlier.

With respect....see my comments in red.

This forum is dedicated to allowing all points of view and embracing opinions that fall outside that on the general public. I find the comment that WS posters as an entity "clearly don't understand" to be not only editorial in nature but also discriminatory. JMO

But let me assure you: most in the media are not "whining" about the 5th DCA's ruling. They're applauding it. As a member of the media
(accepted in good faith while unverfied) would you not agree that there is no way to speak for media at large?

As any professional journalism organization (Poynter Institute, IRE, SPJ, etc) will tell you, it is highly unethical for journalists to enter into a quid-pro-quo for information. Likewise, it is unethical for journalists to withhold known information from the public (with possibly a few rare exceptions, such as a threat to national security) I could not agree more. That said...I find the practice of courting media darlings by any defense team to be not only transparent, but lacking in ethics as well.

Imagine if President Obama rounded up a small number of reporters and promised to give them exclusive information if they promised to report in on his terms and when he wanted it. The public would go nuts, accusing those media of bias and being the president's lap dog. As it happens in many cases the public tends to cry foul with no other motivation than hearing their own opinion published.......we do live in a rather narcissistic society do we not?

When Judge Perry first proposed the "confidentiality agreement", he did so with genuine kindness, knowing the media would appreciate the extra time to transport and set up their equipment. IMO he did so not out of kindness for set up triage...but instead as a gesture of good will and demonstration of pure intention. Again JMO.

But Judge Perry is not a journalist, and did not appreciate just how seriously most organizations take their ethical responsibility. While many journalists do take their ethical obligations to heart...sadly many do not. It is not Judge Perry's job to weed out the bad apples, but only apply a fair and non biased agreement that proves a neutral position other than the responsibility to preserve the rights of KC.

When Perry announced the agreement, nearly all the media organizations immediately opposed it on ethical grounds. Those that filed the appeal hardly qualify as "nearly all" and IMO that term is nothing more than ...shall we say.."puffery".

I am only aware of two media companies that were willing to sign the agreement: InSession (which would have benefited the most by having extra time to set up all of their equipment needed for the courthouse pool feed), and WFTV (which some in Orlando consider to be among the most unethical news organizations in town). As an ethical journalist....would you not agree that name calling and disparaging remarks are ..."unethical"?

You are all smart people. Think about it. Why would all the other news outlets refuse to sign Perry's agreement? It was a win-win for them. They would get advance notice of the jury selection location, and if they learned about it from an independent source, they were still allowed to report it! What harm would there be in signing the agreement? And given that statement....why would the motion have been needed in the first place?

The harm would have been the selling-out of journalistic integrity and credibility. (You can argue that the media has sold-out in their coverage of the Anthony case. But clearly many media organizations still subscribe to a level of professional standards.) So I can assume these comments are not affiliated with NBC, ABC, CBS, etc?

So when the Associated Press (a reputable media company) led the charge against Judge Perry's agreement, they had good reason to challenge it in court. And the 5th DCA agreed, striking it down. I was not aware that the AP led the charge. Good to know.

Of course, the AP and others could have simply torn up Perry's agreement and not worried about it. But when it comes to the business aspect of news, Perry's agreement gave unethical journalists a huge competitive advantage. I don't agree but respect that individual opinion. I have ethics so I leave room for alternative views.

Those outlets that signed the agreement and were given advance notice of the jury selection location could have shown up there, looked for some obscure independent "confirmation" such as a taped off parking lot or a glimpse of the prosecutors, and then broadcast their "exclusive" to the world. Sure they could have and thus far have no,t to my knowledge.

(The 5th DCA ruling raised questions of how Perry's agreement could be enforced. It's possible that a party that signed the agreement and then reported the location might later be forced to reveal their independent "sources" in court, another major violation of journalism ethics. The agreement had many pitfalls I don't think many of you considered.) Again as an ethical journalist, wouldn't you agree that there is no way to make a blanket statement purporting what people may or may not have considered?

The organizations that refused to sign the agreement lost nothing. They were never going to receive information from the court about jury selection anyway. But with the 5th DCA's ruling, unethical organizations that are willing to sell-out their journalistic integrity will no longer have an unfair advantage over those that abide by some level of professional responsibility. And when checkbook journalism, inflated photo licensing fees, and other perks are fully disclosed by ALL media entities, we will indeed have a level playing field.

What I think confused many of you was the secondary issue raised by the media's attorney involving improper closure of a public proceeding. Again.....assumptions.

In any other case, it would be outrageous for a judge to intentionally block the public from learning about a court hearing. Which for the record, he did not do. Semantics are an amazing theory. The media attorney had a professional duty to make those arguments on behalf of her clients, and force the judge to explain his highly unusual decision. Additionally, she had a responsibility to cite case law that applied to the motion and be aware of all the facts before going into a hearing as a formidable advocate for the rights you assert.

But in the end, her media clients (and every other organization that refused to sign the agreement) got what they wanted: the same access to the court proceedings as everyone else. As they would have anyway....just not with the cherry on top.

An aside......excuse typos etc.....It is late.

Thank you for taking time to share your point of view. I see you have been a member of this forum since early 2010. i wish you had shared your POV earlier.

As usual,you stated my own sentiments far better than I could fully awake!
Thank you SOTS.

We all come at our opinions from our experiences . I'll leave it at that.

I think the biggest clue that anything was up with this 11th hour appeal was the fact that it was pulled at such a last minute when the same news organizations knew about it long before. Sorta looks like a defense associated delay tactic to me and that is JMO.

Thankyou MissJames and SOTS for your eloquent posts. ITA! :blowkiss:

Excellent rebuttal...thank you

I understand what happend, you bit off your nose to spite your face. Yay, go you guys. Writing several paragraphs about your virtues doesn't erase the fact that the best guy gets the ratings. Do you think we're stupid? It's about numbers, there is no more virtue in news...it's now a numbers game. "Nearly all", is 5 news programs...hardly a gratuitous percentage of nationwide news programs.

And just to clarify for you, no one has the location right now except for one lawyer on each side. Media would've gotten the location tomorrow, in time to place appropriate teams without risking you guys swooping in again for "man on the street" interviews.

Now you get to scramble Monday morning long after proceedings have started. Because you couldn't shut up for one day.

If you wanted sympathy, you came to the wrong place. You are the third ring in this circus.

PS...The whole tone of your post is arrogant, you should work on your interaction with the public in a forum.

I'm sure those media outlets genuinely believed the judge was interfering with access to a public proceeding. In any other circumstance, this would be appalling (Imagine if your city council was holding a public hearing about a new nuclear power plant going up in your backyard, but they refused to announce the location of that public hearing until hours beforehand. And that hearing could be anywhere in the state.)

But I think anyone who's watched Law & Order knows that a defendant's right to a fair trial trumps nearly everything. Surely the media's lawyer did, too, and that's why Judge Perry pounced all over her.

But remember, the title of the media's motion primarily addressed the confidentiality agreement. That's what I think the media was most interested in getting overturned. And they succeeded.

Moot point now...isn't it! And you still didn't get the real scoop....

I appreciate your input TVWatcher but the one thing that trumps it all is, JUSTICE FOR CAYLEE!

Why would any media interfere with that? Wouldn't Caylee's justice trump it all? What if you (the media, not you in general) caused a delay in Caylee's justice due to you not getting this exclusive on where a jury will be picked?

I believe the victim should recieve the benefit of any doubt.

What harm would it have caused the media to not report on the area in which a jury will be picked???

Does your ratings trump Justice for Caylee??? JMHO

Justice for Caylee

If the media hadn't been asking for advance notice of where the jury selection was going to take place there would have been no need for a confidentiality agreement to begin with. If HHJP had announced where the jury selection was going to take place in open court, the majority of news organizations, if not all, would have rushed to get there and start questioning prospective jurors. He was trying to appease everyone in MHOO. He didn't care if the media organizations found out the day of jury selection, he was trying to give notice so that everything could be set up without the prospective jurors being tainted.

Could you give an example of the media organization being responsible in their coverage of this trial? Yes, we do read everything put out there, but I haven't seen one poster that believes that our curiosity to know overrides what is best for the trial to get Caylee justice, and that is what this all is about. Yes we speculate and discuss every little detail, but we know what comes first, and that is justice...JMOO

If the media hadn't been asking for advance notice of where the jury selection was going to take place there would have been no need for a confidentiality agreement to begin with. If HHJP had announced where the jury selection was going to take place in open court, the majority of news organizations, if not all, would have rushed to get there and start questioning prospective jurors. He was trying to appease everyone in MHOO. He didn't care if the media organizations found out the day of jury selection, he was trying to give notice so that everything could be set up without the prospective jurors being tainted.

Could you give an example of the media organization being responsible in their coverage of this trial? Yes, we do read everything put out there, but I haven't seen one poster that believes that our curiosity to know overrides what is best for the trial to get Caylee justice, and that is what this all is about. Yes we speculate and discuss every little detail, but we know what comes first, and that is justice...JMOO

:goodpost:

This thread is closing as we all know that the media has to wait to hear where the location will be held.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95