2011.04.28 Emergency Media Motion

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Google maps, I guess I'm wrong. I was basing it on experience. We take the turnpike from S. Orlando to W. Palm Beach in about an hour to go from my brother's to my cousin's. They both live within a few miles of the turnpike, so idk. My dh is confused too.

It's a 160 plus miles and unless you are driving a NASCAR I don't see anyone making it in an hour. jmo

1 hour from Orlando to WPB does not sound right.
DH drives to WPB a lot and it takes him... 2.5 hours.

I suspect HHJP has a rather wicked sense of humor. Could he be messing with everyone by showing up in West Palm Beach? Will we see him pop up in other areas in the next few days?

It doesn't sound to me that the jury would be coming from that area . . . just given the amounts of the hotel rooms. Also would this be within a 1 hour driving distance from Orlando?

I'm not familiar with Florida and had to look up Palm Beach on the map. It's a good 150 miles from Orlando. I remember HHMP saying something about it being within an hour's drive of Orlando. It doesn't fit this criteria.

Edited to add...............in his capacity as a chief justice, it could be a simple case of HHMP conferring with another judge on another case. I'm sure the trial of Casey Anthony isn't HHMP's only upcoming trial.

If he decides to go in as an old woman---I could loan him some clothes---that would be so funny---I can see him doin that.

Well, that settles it for me. HHBP has stated within 1 hour drive of Orlando and hotel rooms for $50 a night . . . he has also said he was just visiting a friend in WPB . . . so far I have every reason to believe him.

I suspect HHJP has a rather wicked sense of humor. Could he be messing with everyone by showing up in West Palm Beach? Will we see him pop up in other areas in the next few days?

So what is the media emergency motion all about? Was this HHBP's way of testing the waters to see if the local news media would stand behind their promise of confidentiality?

..the media motion is on the docket for monday's hearing:

9th Judicial Circuit
JUDGE BELVIN PERRY, JR. / DIVISION 02
------------------- Schedule for Monday, May 02, 2011 -------------------
9:30 am 2 hrs Case: 48-2008-CF-15606-O-

Motion: Status Hearing/Pending Motions and Emergency Mot. of News organizations to Intervene & for Reconsideration of Implementation & Enforcement of Confidentiality Agreement

Well, that settles it for me. HHBP has stated within 1 hour drive of Orlando and hotel rooms for $50 a night . . . he has also said he was just visiting a friend in WPB . . . so far I have every reason to believe him.

Judge Perry did not say "within 1 hour drive"

He said "if they leave by 8am they should be ok"... he did not say the Start time or the time they had to be at the location....the 1 hour drive grew out of speculation that Jury selection would start at 9am...

The 50 dollars could be a reminder.....If you get an expensive hotel room the JAC will only pay $50/night

iirc, Judge Perry mentioned in one of the recent hearings that the news media was not happy with the short notice he was going to give them about the location and about having to sign a confidentiality agreement

He said "if they leave by 8am they should be ok"... he did not say the Start time or the time they had to be at the location....the 1 hour drive grew out of speculation that Jury selection would start at 9am...

The 50 dollars could be a reminder.....If you get an expensive hotel room the JAC will only pay $50/night

iirc, Judge Perry mentioned in one of the recent hearings that the news media was not happy with the short notice he was going to give them about the location and about having to sign a confidentiality agreement

Thank you for clearing that up! In the back of my brain, I was thinking HHBP starts on time (if not moments before time) and I didn't fathom he would consider starting court before 9:00 or maybe 9:30.

"Also Thursday, several media outlets filed a motion asking the court to reconsider a confidentiality agreement related to jury selection in the case.

An agreement drafted by the court would limit media outlets from disclosing where the jury selection will occur. It also calls for the media to not arrive at the venue location before jury selection begins.

The motion, filed by WOFL Fox 35, WKMG, Central Florida News 13 and the Associated Press, states that the agreement unconstitutionally denies them public access to an open judicial proceeding."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-casey-anthony-trial-plant-growth-s20110428,0,1710999.story

"Also Thursday, several media outlets filed a motion asking the court to reconsider a confidentiality agreement related to jury selection in the case.

An agreement drafted by the court would limit media outlets from disclosing where the jury selection will occur. It also calls for the media to not arrive at the venue location before jury selection begins.

The motion, filed by WOFL Fox 35, WKMG, Central Florida News 13 and the Associated Press, states that the agreement unconstitutionally denies them public access to an open judicial proceeding."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-casey-anthony-trial-plant-growth-s20110428,0,1710999.story

There we have it...media challenging restrictions being imposed on them

I believe Judge Perry was expecting some sort of Motion to be filed by the media when he said in court that the media was not pleased with the restrictions he was placing on them regarding the location and having to sign a confidentiality agreement.

I don't see why they should be restricted. Why does it matter? Just give her a jury and get on with it.

Well - sigh - this motion simply looks like a number of stations got together and realized someone may scoop them for information or locations by figuring out first where they will be - or that some media outlets simply have more options to get their reporters and equipment in place than others.

Feel certain CJBP will hear this on Monday and deny the motion as not his problem. The need to keep the identity of possible jurors confidential supersedes the whims of the media.

I thought JP said jury selection would start at 8:30am.
This article says same http://www.clickorlando.com/news/26492046/detail.html
So if this is right then it would seem the location would have to be within an hour's drive.

Maybe he was staying in swank WPB while scoping out a nearby low-rent area for a dilapidated hotel for the DT to stay in during jury selection. All the while, giggling madly.

I do love how the media decides they are the press when they don't like something. Snark...here's an idea, Judge. To heck with them. Just don't tell them anything. They obviously can't be trusted. I wonder how their confidential sources must feel after reading this.

I thought JP said jury selection would start at 8:30am.
This article says same http://www.clickorlando.com/news/26492046/detail.html
So if this is right then it would seem the location would have to be within an hour's drive.

Thanks QB..I don't remember that article..

Judge Perry could have been joking or misleading us all when he gave those so called "hints"
We know the jury will not be from Orange county so the "leave at 8am" and Jury selection to start at 8:30 am does not work.

Unless they leave at 8am on Sunday morning..then they have plenty of time to arrive at the location in order to start at 8:30am Monday morning.

If I remember correctly from when we lived there, Palm Beach County is one of the wealthiest Counties in FL. West Palm Beach is a pretty upscale town and I doubt you could find a hotel room for under $100. If you go outside West Palm to Lake Worth, etc. might find one cheaper. This is also 'out of season' for tourists so that would help bring down the price too. JB is not going to be happy if the jury is coming from Palm Beach County and that just tickles me pink!

Macushla, tell us more, dear. Why is this going to make JB unhappy? You're local, tell us all why you're thrilled with the possibility the jury will come from that location. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95