2011.05.09 - Jury Selection Day One

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
#51 1073 woman

hardship 6 year old daughter, husband works until 8pm, other is work related - in charge of HSN website, no-one can pick up daughter for extended period of time (yes), work pays

excused for cause

(WFTV going in and out - hope I got everything)

I'm having nightmares about the jury eventually seated.

*takes chill pill*

I am shocked about how many are being excused also! We have not even gotten to the important questions like "do you oppose of the DP" or "have you heard of this case?"

This is just for hardship cases. They want to waive all these people first. The ones who make it passed that, come back for voir dire.

This is disheartening. We need some people who are willing to serve. I don't think a non-sequestered jury would be this difficult.

I heard on local news today (I'm in Pinellas Co.) that 400 were called to jury duty, approx 105 showed up. I will assume the rest ignored the call or ticked the right boxes ahead of time to get excused. I was called last year and was able to get an excuse via online, just like that. I was excused, because I'm a SAHM with a small child at home.

I'm sure that most of the potential jurors got out of duty before today and the rest are....well, what you see today.

Slim pickins.

1099: hardship? I believe so. I live pay check to pay check and being sequestered for that long would cause hardship. He is a maintainance man. You have to be a full time employee to meet the standard to get paid to serve.

HHJP: that is your major source of employment?

it would put a big burden on me and my bills would get behind.

excuse.

GRRRRRRRRR what the heck is wrong with the feed? mine keeps stopping!

oh my so are we looking for people who live at home with no responsibilities?

I can't watch this anymore.

It appears the good people of Clearwater could care less that this is the trial of the Century Mr. Baez - a large number of folks have shown good cause for not being considered for this jury - Including the young man who thinks ICA is clearly guilty!!! :great:

I can't keep up, trying to work and listen. Couple people out today so it is kinda hard.

I would be so mad if I had to use my saved vacation time/money on this case. For her.

I completely understand! But honestly, it's not for her, it's for Caylee. I'd do it in exactly half of one heartbeat. Hugs.

SA needs some people who have young children.

I'll take grandmothers who have raised their children to go on and have their own children. Meaning that the juror would have grandchildren. Anyone with a small child in their life works for me. Aunts. Uncles. Grandmothers. Grandfathers. Parents. All the young guys scare me a little bit.

oh my so are we looking for people who live at home with no responsibilities?

I can't watch this anymore.

We are looking for peers of KC...so yes, that sounds about right. :floorlaugh:

I heard on local news today (I'm in Pinellas Co.) that 400 were called to jury duty, approx 105 showed up. I will assume the rest ignored the call or ticked the right boxes ahead of time to get excused. I was called last year and was able to get an excuse via online, just like that. I was excused, because I'm a SAHM with a small child at home.

I'm sure that most of the potential jurors got out of duty before today and the rest are....well, what you see today.

Slim pickins.

Hmm...I heard 110 were called for today (more every day this week) and 105 showed up. Wonder which is accurate. 300 people bailing seems like a high percentage.

1018: hardship? yes. I have two problems. I take care of my grandmother who is disabled and has breast cancer. my father works all day. when I get off of school I take care of my grandma.

HHJP: can anyone else take care of her for six to eight weeks?

no

HHJP: so you are the care giver for your grandmother. step outside. excused.

It is surprising - and very disturbing - that so few companies are willing to compensate employees while they serve on jury duty. So much for good corporate citizenship! They could at least make up the difference I'd hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro