2011.05.09 - Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day One)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that one answered about being allergic to frangrances.... I guess it could disrupt things. It can also disrupt food distribution if people have real big food allergies.

MOO

Good points. Though if I were the DT, I'd be asking if they were allergic to lies. LOL.

This might be a dumb question, but why are prospective jurors asked about allergies?

One reason could be for ordering of buffet style meals on the weekends. If you have to make several concessions due to allergies the price rises quickly.

So remember how we were all joking about forseeing sick days for ourselves, starting today?? Guess who ended up with a nasty case of bronchitis over the weekend??
I still got ynot's laundry done and brought the GOOD booze. Can I put my cot in the corner and snooze?

Allergies can be worse than just sneezing, coughing, running nose, itching eyes. Some can be deadly. (Even perfume allergies, you could stop breathing after a few minutes. Food allergies, which can also be deadly or need of immediate emergency attention, would be for those sequestered and being served whatever meals the State is paying for them to have.)

Also I would think peanut allergies might be a real concern.

It's really cool that Jean C is now a mind reader, too.

In fairness, my shorthand probably contributed to that - they were discussing eager jurors - like the first guy - which lead to a discussion of "stealth jurors" and the fact that some may not have good faith reasons for serving...

DH has allergies/sensitivities to chemical fragrances developed over years working as a chemist. I really refused to believe it until I tried some perfume at the mall one time, and within 3 minutes of me walking into the same room with him when I got home, he was a dripping, sneezing mess and his throat started swelling up. Natural oils don't do it, and various perfumes cause different levels of reaction in him (he's ok around Marc Jacob's "Lola" in small amounts, for example, but Chanel #5 drops him).

Anyway, having once pooh-pooh'ed the notion, I now at least understand that some folks really do have bad reactions to those things. By the way, if anyone needs a very slightly used bottle of Chanel #5 I know where you can get one at a deep discount. ;)

Well that one answered about being allergic to frangrances.... I guess it could disrupt things. It can also disrupt food distribution if people have real big food allergies.

MOO

You wouldn't want me there. I can sneeze 20x in a row if I get a whiff of the wrong perfume (or one I'm sensitive too). Folks with allergies really need to think about it.

MOO

Mel

This might be a dumb question, but why are prospective jurors asked about allergies?

:twocents: Health issues................can REALLY mess up a trial:rocker:! The condition "allergies" can include a HUGE variety of patient reactions up to and including death, and the range of allergies that the human organism can experience are varied and wide from the well known (pollen, like the Northeast is hating right now) to esoteric food (shellfish) or chemical (perfume/odor(fragrance) essences) which would require special accomodations for the juror or the environment.:banghead::banghead:

Wish we had a lip reader here- what is the guard saying to ICA so vehemently?
She adds to it by talking to CM and JB too, looks like she was telling (instructing) them about some infraction? IMO

Seriously? WS doesn't have a lipreader.

Geez... :floorlaugh:

In fairness, my shorthand probably contributed to that - they were discussing eager jurors - like the first guy - which lead to a discussion of "stealth jurors" and the fact that some may not have good faith reasons for serving...
Eagerness doesn't equate to reasons *not in good faith* though. It could be something as simple as being incapable of serving in the military, but is eager to serve his country in some way.

I get what Jean C is saying, but the problem is that her interpretation is, well, not in good faith.

Wish we had a lip reader here- what is the guard saying to ICA so vehemently?
She adds to it by talking to CM and JB too, looks like she was telling (instructing) them about some infraction? IMO
No doubt they heard, watched or whatever that little "love" feast that went on between ICA and Robyn. Getting haircut, passing notes between the sheets of books.

They seem to be harda$$ towards ICA and rightfully so. ICA will get no favors from these guards.

I have a question re: single parents...are they going to have to let off all single parents, since they let the single dad off? Just wondering as that could account for an awful lot of potential jurors these days...

Seriously? WS doesn't have a lipreader.

Geez... :floorlaugh:

Yes Yes Yes - where is the resident WS Lipreader ? Do we know if any of our peeps are there o---- or are they allowed into jury selection?

I can not believe Jose brought up race again??? He is not on trial... Casey is. He always has to make it about himself. What makes him think that a Hispanic or African American would feel any differently about Casey? She accused a half Puerto Rican/ half Black woman of kidnapping and basically murdering her child!! That is how I know this whole race issue has nothing to do with Casey and her trial... this is about Jose and what he believes is HIS trial. :banghead:

I have a question re: single parents...are they going to have to let off all single parents, since they let the single dad off? Just wondering as that could account for an awful lot of potential jurors these days...

Yes it could. I don't have your answer but I do have another question.
I am picking up on "I really don't wanna serve" and " I would love to serve" from different people. Anybody else?

DH has allergies/sensitivities to chemical fragrances developed over years working as a chemist. I really refused to believe it until I tried some perfume at the mall one time, and within 3 minutes of me walking into the same room with him when I got home, he was a dripping, sneezing mess and his throat started swelling up. Natural oils don't do it, and various perfumes cause different levels of reaction in him (he's ok around Marc Jacob's "Lola" in small amounts, for example, but Chanel #5 drops him).

Anyway, having once pooh-pooh'ed the notion, I now at least understand that some folks really do have bad reactions to those things. By the way, if anyone needs a very slightly used bottle of Chanel #5 I know where you can get one at a deep discount. ;)

When I was selling janitorial supplies, we had a customer that asked us to find her a hand soap that did not contain almond or coconut oil (which are actually the higher end commercial options in handsoap)-she was that allergic to nuts of any kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState