2011.05.09 - Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day One)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't believe that they wouldn't object to jurors with small children considering the victim here is a small child. Or can they?

Baez and Co. want people on the jury who can identify with ICA not Caylee, they want as few people with kids on the jury as possible.

You know...I was so impressed when JB ditched the pocket square but lo and behold it's back today and has morphed into a tent. Sheesh

Casey cried when HHJP read the indictments - ALL of them - Word for word. Something about 1st Degree Murder - premeditated, etc., set her off.

Anthony's not there; Brad Conway is (or was). Casey's new mug is psychotic

It's going to be a long couple days

I thought she cried because he read her name out loud. That's what set her off the last time.

The attroneys have rolling chairs and she must have one that does not move.

Yeah but that just really seems over-kill.

For example, the Sarah Johnson trial she had exactly the same chair as her attorneys iirc (with wheels).

With ICA, I am pretty sure she had the same chair as her attorneys.

Darn. I missed so much already! What was that about?

Someone last night was asking how long it would be before JB said something that caused us to shake our heads. I didn't think we'd hear from him today much at all. Looks like a lot was happening.

They seated the jurors (don't remember if it was all 110 or about 60 of them) JB and DT scanned the crowd - JB objected based on the lack or minority representation in the pool.

HHJP laid. him. out.

I could be imaging this but it seems like there is a frosty air between Baez and ICA.

I had to laugh today when she came in with that sweater, Baez has been telling her for weeks to do up the buttons on her shirt - guess they outsmarted ICA on that one. lol

I don't know..perhaps they are not sympatico, but knowing Baez he told her to cool it until he gets her off...like that will ever happen.

Someone asked, "no giggling today then?" on the other thread. And another remarked, "if I had never seen ICA before today, I might think she was really scared and think she is innocent."

Thank you both. Where are the giggles? The jovial air about the defense? And, sure it is time to preform for Casey. Oh, god jurors~do you see what is being done to an innocent girl like me!?

(I need to understand the thoughts and feelings behind the behavior(s). I do that with everything and everyone. )

I'm in no way qualified to address that from a legal standpoint, but, imho, the length of this trial is such that unless they have a very good support system in place it would be very, very difficult to serve. If it were a shorter trial, a week, a day, they could probably manage, but 6-8? Very hard. Too bad, I wish we'd get some single parents on the jury...

I think it would only pertain to single parents who have sole custody or are widowed and have no other full time caregiver.
Just being a single parent would not be an automatic out.

This might be a dumb question, but why are prospective jurors asked about allergies?

I would imagine that perhaps if someone had severe allergies and were prone to asthma attacks they might omit them from the jury - the illness may effect their being able to concentrate. Don't throw anything at me my cousins in allergies, I'm just taking a guess!

Amazing how JB use to be her guy, and now it's CM and she hardly seems to know JB exists.

As a juror I'd be thinking that the tears represent an understanding of guilt and what a spot she is in. I'd think an innocent person would be looking forward to a trial and being able to finally prove there innocence.

I really can't find any happiness about all this. This whole things is such a mess, and what on earth ever made ICA think killing Caylee was a good idea???? I guess she thought she could do it and get away with it, as she had been able to get away with so much because of the way CA handled things her whole life.

I am very curious to see if the defense will try to pin this on GA, or RK or some other, (any other) person. It would seem the nanny story is out?

Oh, gitana, the first "oh no he did-uhnt" moment came within seconds--even before some feeds had their sound up, when JB asked for a continuance because they just found out over the weekend that CJBP ruled that the air samples from the trunk are admissible! :great: Another win for JA!!! :heartluv:

Also memorable: ICA was crying while the indictments were read out. SA asked for a sidebar, after which CJBP reminded the potential jurors that they were to base their decisions on logic and evidence, NOT emotion. Very pointed. CJBP has the reins firmly in hand today.

oh no no no sir, they're trying to make her look tiny and lil and sweet and lil and innocent.....

you know. like caylee actually was.

I was thinking exactly the opposite. She is a small person and if they put her in one of those big chairs it would make her look smaller.

Darn. I missed so much already! What was that about?

Someone last night was asking how long it would be before JB said something that caused us to shake our heads. I didn't think we'd hear from him today much at all. Looks like a lot was happening.

The way I understand it is that 1) Jose tried to have the trial delayed because of the ruling on the air samples. He didn't do any "work" in that area because he thought that Judge Perry would rule in his favor. Jose made a comment... something about going off of Judge Perry's word. Judge Perry was having none of that. 2) I believe Jose tried to have the entire jury thrown out (correct me if I am wrong?) because there were not enough African American and Hispanic people amongst the potential jurors.

Crazy morning so far. Air samples are in... jury selection... Jose's antics. It's been fun and frustrating at the same time.

This is the first time I have been able to get to the trial info today, I have read they have only gone through 8 or 9 so far today... Have any been potential jurors or all turned away due to hardship?

Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member