2011.05.13 - Jury Selection DAY FIVE Evening Session

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the previous thread:

This! I don't understand this, if someone could explain. If a person is tried as an adult, does it matter if they are 19 or 78? Either you are tried as an adult or as a minor... ????? I would have the same answer as this last PJ. If the court has decided to try you as an adult then why is age a mitigating factor?

I think because a 20 year-old or 22-yr-old doesn't have the same life experiences and judgment as a 35-yr-old, 50-yr-old or 78 yr-old. I guess that's what they're going after.

Also, remember, years ago, the age of majority was much older than today's 18, and for good reason. While many young adults can make reasonable decisions and act like responsible adults, some still have to grow and mature. I'm thinking this is why they are using that factor as "mitigating".

Saw this on Twitter:

KerryNBC #caseyanthony Judge Belvin Perry NOT happy folks r setting up webpages/facebook that suggest he's the author. He can't tame the internet.

JA challenged the AA lady for cause. Judge denied it. JA can use a strike and dismiss her without cause. Each side has 10 strikes to use.

Thank you all for coming over while court is in recess.

You guys have been so great all day making it so much easier to moderate the threads today.

Misha sends you all some cookies and lots of :blowkiss:

You scared the heck out of me - I had to take a phone call and all I saw was you counting 4, 3 ......:panic: and I was scrolling back and forth and yelling at my computer screen - what have we done, what have we done! Whew and here you all are! Mod panic much? :rolleyes: :loveyou:

Thank you all for coming over while court is in recess.

You guys have been so great all day making it so much easier to moderate the threads today.

Misha sends you all some cookies and lots of :blowkiss:

A milkbone,pigear and sloppy kissies from Pogo and the Rox for Misha

Good Evening :seeya:

I will be moving from work to home soon. Hubby works out of town during the week day's and home on the Weekends but luckily he has to work tomorrow and will be home for a few hours this evening.

Dear lord I am obsessed when I am happy my hubby isn't home so I won't miss anything. I need an intervention. :truce:

Okay, so the last PJ....Does the law require one to consider age as a mitigating factor or what? I understand why the DT would want someone to consider that, but do not understand why him saying he doesn't think age should be a factor should get him booted. Can anyone explain that to me? Thanks :)

but that doesn't mean he couldn't set that feeling/opinion aside and follow judge's instructions to consider if that should happen. i don't think it' enough for the boot, but we'll see.

Bringing over from last thread:

No. She is on. JA tried to use his peremptory or strike without case, it was objected to and sustained which I have NEVER seen before. She is the first juror we know is on the panel, as far as I am concerned. JA failed to question her more or use a challenge for cause first which was a big mistake. They are talking about this on the news.

Wrong.

They did try to strike without case and it was objected to and sustained.

Already did. It did not work.

Nope.

I pray you are right!!!!!!!!! But my lawyer instinct is very concerned. I feel a tiny bit sick.

The first ones to be seated are the ones on the main jury. Then, they select alternates.

You are right.

I too am physically ill. JA TOTALLY dropped the ball. There was a HUGE victory for the DT today. And it might have just got them their much wanted hung jury. I've never seen a judge sustain an objection to a peremptory strike.

Please God let her be an alternate.

Okay, so the last PJ....Does the law require one to consider age as a mitigating factor or what? I understand why the DT would want someone to consider that, but do not understand why him saying he doesn't think age should be a factor should get him booted. Can anyone explain that to me? Thanks :)

I don't see why it would get him booted. I'm with you. I do understand why they are asking the question, though, especially on the DT side. They want preferential treatment for their client, imo. :cow:

Saw this on Twitter:

KerryNBC #caseyanthony Judge Belvin Perry NOT happy folks r setting up webpages/facebook that suggest he's the author. He can't tame the internet.

OMG I actually saw a link in a google search before AND found it to be no longer in service.

I think the bggest issue was that it used images from his official 9th Circuit page with the court.

Don't blame him.

Good Evening :seeya:

I will be moving from work to home soon. Hubby works out of town during the week day's and home on the Weekends but luckily he has to work tomorrow and will be home for a few hours this evening.

Dear lord I am obsessed when I am happy my hubby isn't home so I won't miss anything. I need an intervention. :truce:

If you find one you will have soooooo much company. Rent a warehouse or stadium to hold it in.:innocent:

Bringing over from last thread:

No. She is on. JA tried to use his peremptory or strike without case, it was objected to and sustained which I have NEVER seen before. She is the first juror we know is on the panel, as far as I am concerned. JA failed to question her more or use a challenge for cause first which was a big mistake. They are talking about this on the news.

Wrong.

They did try to strike without case and it was objected to and sustained.

Already did. It did not work.

Nope.

I pray you are right!!!!!!!!! But my lawyer instinct is very concerned. I feel a tiny bit sick.

The first ones to be seated are the ones on the main jury. Then, they select alternates.

You are right.

How do they decide who sits on the jury and who the alternates are? Is it random? So she may still end up a non issue if we are lucky,right?
I have 3 black sons and this is not a race issue TO ME,but I will trust HH to make the call.

JA challenged the AA lady for cause. Judge denied it. JA can use a strike and dismiss her without cause. Each side has 10 strikes to use.

He already did that, I believe. When the other side objects to the peremptory strike the other side has to give "cause" for their strike. Otherwise no cause is ever mentioned.

I could have sworn I heard Ashton verbally say this was his peremptory strike, no?

I am sure a thread will be started regarding the recent news about Brad Conway. Please, let's not fill the Jury thread with discussions about Brad Conway.

OMG I actually saw a link in a google search before AND found it to be no longer in service.

I think the bggest issue was that it used images from his official 9th Circuit page with the court.

Don't blame him.

Oh I don't blame him either....and by the way, I loved the way he set Mason up!

Is the last male Prosp Juror returning tomorrow?
Whatever happened with him?

In all fairness, I don't begrudge defense taking a long time to ask questions in a capital case and they are not going as slowly as yesterday, in my opinion. I think that considering the way the judge is doing this, i.e. wanting to stop as soon as the # is reached instead of letting them question all of the jurors who have made it this far, the defense is behaving fairly well. Choosing a jury in a DP case is the most important part, and there will be appeals galore that go without saying.

I hope the judge can keep his (obvious to me) distaste for the DT from showing as there could be a juror or two who feel sorry for JB if it is apparent. I like this judge very much, barring his call on the female AA juror, but he does come across to me as very anti-defense team. Not saying they don't ask for it, mind you, but not every juror knows their months of antics, in fact none should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smfranklin96