2011.05.13 - Jury Selection DAY FIVE Evening Session

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Juror #1135- Male.

Pretrial Publicity
: *"Heard about Casey getting arrested. *Not much of a news person. *Heard about a trunk being involved and that "there was a baby in the trunk". *Has been around people discussing the case, didn't discuss it with others. *Heard snippets about the case on the radio. *Doesn't recognize any of the prosecution or the defense. *Doesn't know Cindy and George Anthony..never saw them on TV. *Doesn't watch 48 Hours, etc. *Primarily watches The History Channel, TLC and sports. *Knows what blogging is, but doesn't write on or read any blogs. *Has watched 20/20 "a handful of times". *Has Facebook, no other social networking accounts. *Gets news from internet or his phone "if it's interesting enough". *Hasn't formed an opinion on Casey.

Death Penalty Stance: For it. *Agrees with it in situations of "cruel and unusual" situations (cutting someone up, etc). Heinous crimes, basically. *Never had a real strong death penalty opinion. *In situations like a serial murder situation, agrees with death penalty. *No religious or political beliefs on DP. *Says he wouldn't try to sway another juror who disagreed. *Would not consider mercy as a mitigating circumstance. Says he would "just go by the law". *Would not consider age as a mitigating circumstance because "rules apply to everyone, no matter what their age". *Social history, mental illness, abuse (depending on severity) as a mitigating circumstance.

Defense: Challenges for cause: juror refuses to consider age as a mitigating circumstance. State: No objections/challenges.

Judge: Juror is excused for cause.

This is probably a dumb question..........but can a judge change his mind? I'm thinking that JA's argument was not race-based, and if he explains to HHMP in depth (in chambers) that HHMP might reconsider his ruling.

Otherwise, I'm with you.........please let her be an alternate (number 8)

It's not likely because HHJP got really very testy and augmentative with Ashton. He made it clear that was his ruling end of story. HHJP reacts and treats Ashton totally differently than Mason. It's very apparent. Hopefully that means HHJP is trying to show he shows no bias towards the state.

Yesterday there was a potential juror waiting and Baez noticed he/she had a newspaper. Have they addressed that today?

Juror 1367
Hardship issues: they will pay (Juror says.)

At the beach with sketchy wi fi :( be back Sunday with full blown withdrawals. Darn these beach trips with family!

:truce: Haven't been able to witness this throughout the day...............are they REALLY going with the opinion that Casey's age...@22 is a mitigating factor? Somebody is planning, I bet, to throw out the "under-developed" brain of a "less than 25 year old" as a GOOD EXCUSE to eliminate one's child or heck, just avoid responsibilities!:banghead::banghead:!

1367 - said "they" will pay - but in my notes I have her self-employed as a pet sitter.

:waitasec:

About the age as a mitigating factor issue, I think HHJP should have made clear that he had to consider it, but that he could apply little to no weight to it. Everybody is starting to cut corners because they are tired (understandably so).

This lady does not speak English well enought to be a juror.

"But I heard from the co-workers. all about her name. they talk bout her."

So this guy sat there all yesterday and today because he was waiting to tell if employer pays for jury duty. They pay only 3 days so released for hardship.

Why don't they handle these type questions ones at the first of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove