2011.05.19 Sidebar Thread (Jury Selection Day Ten)

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, this would be a great discussion thread if we all weren't so wrapped up in this jury selection. I am one to quickly say "they need to fry" whenever I hear about people like John Couey, or Eliza Baker. However, when I stop, really stop and place myself on a jury, I don't know that I could be responsible for putting somebody to death. I don't know. I haven't really explored too deeply on that one. It's something to think about.

Based on what you know about the crime, do you think you could put that aside and make a judgement based solely on the evidence?

I'd like to think that I could, but I think it would be hard to separate from what I have heard.

You would only have to consider sentencing someone to death if you were called for a DP case. At least you'd have the judge to help guide you

Well Oh My Goodness. WTH didn't we do it that way to start with? We would have been done by now, :floorlaugh: It just seems to me the DT is getting their way toooooooooooo much and JP needs to get complete control back. IDK.

If the DT knew beforehand that they would definitely get to interview those 30 additional PJs, maybe they would still have 5 strikes remaining.

Perhaps the advantage of HHJP keeping us all guessing is that while still giving the DT alot of what they ask for, subsequently they are inadvertently eating up strikes prematurely. Shrug.

:waitasec:

I don't know that it will take up too much time, but bearing in mind that the judge in this case has the authority to grant both sides more strikes, I'm expecting the defense to file a motion requesting them, and also expecting it to be denied.

Yeknomaras..............I love your signature picture! Do you have the original large version of that picture? I failed to copy it when I first saw it. :)

here's the bigger version ;)

attachment.php

Attachments

• baez-ashton-2-sleeping.png
    baez-ashton-2-sleeping.png
    114.7 KB · Views: 467
Well Oh My Goodness. WTH didn't we do it that way to start with? We would have been done by now, :floorlaugh: It just seems to me the DT is getting their way toooooooooooo much and JP needs to get complete control back. IDK.

I got the impression from HHJP that he doesn't like doing the group hardship phase in a DP case because of the "virus in a plane" reaction by the potential jurors. There really are only so many people in this county, and it really is A LOT to ask of a citizen to take time away from his/her family, work, life to make one of the most difficult decisions the law asks of you. I think he wanted the jurors to get a sense of that and the best way to do it would be in the court environment individually. IMO. :)

I hope we don't get any surprises after lunch. I'm having a flash back to the WTH experience after lunch yesterday.

Awwwwe. :tyou: We'd love to have you!

I would come over every few months if we could afford it. Current holiday booked is costing just under £10,000 all in, that's including spending money and for 5 of us. It is so expensive to get there, but worth every penny!

Thanks Darnudes (and everybody!)

It seems that our media quite often likes to tell us that the rest of the world regards us as, well gosh, typical "Ugly Americans" - bad manners, self-righteous, often bigoted and ignorant. I think there are also assumptions regarding "southerners" (despite nearly PJ being a yankee by birth). So I was interested to see whether the answers they've given have surprised anyone.

About Southerners - I wish I had a Judge Perry in my life.

I think there is an element of the "ugly - insert country" in all cultures. Nothing that's been said has really surprised me, actually not true, I did think there would be more pro death penalty people in the pool, so far it seems like a lot of people haven't really given it much thought.

BBM - Wait, where are we in the pics????????

Laying on the floor of course. I think you can see Beachy's hand in the bottom right corner as she tries to pull herself upright.

:floorlaugh:

Then why bring in another new panel of 30 and go through all that? There are still like 5 or 6 left to question out of this batch and it appears the new strategy is to let them all in and then strike them............

I like this..................get 20 or so........let both sides exercise their strikes and then swear them in, sequester, and transport.

I admit I am a person who does not know if they can vote for the death penalty. I have no problem with people not understanding that, I don't know what I understand about that. I am a person with STRONG opinions usually, so it is weird to me to not feel one way or the other about something so "important."

I was always in the position that I was not comfortable sitting in judgement of others, but I did not understand(until this jury selection process)there were instructions to the letter of the law about what gets weighed and what does not, what factors.

I did not know it was like that, I thought it was more a straight vote: guilty or not guilty.

Although, I would have said that I was "not for" the dp, when I heard about cases in the news where the person was guilty for hurting people in terrible ways, and they got the death penalty...I was not upset. It did not and does not make me lose sleep that guilty people are put to death. I admit I am glad that it was not me who had to make that decision.

If I accepted to be on a jury, and there was a victim and the evidence showed they were indeed a victim of that defendant and the vote was for death-because I had accepted to be on the jury I would vote for death.

If I was uncomfortable at all, I would do whatever I could to not be on the jury.

I post this as fyi, to give maybe some insight to the same type of juror, the type who says they are "against" or unsure about the dp.

I have also always said that I feel it is the right of the victim's family/loved ones to have any justice they see fit. This is also why I felt that unless I had such a terrible thing happen to me how can I know what I would want to happen to that person.

There are some families that say they do not want the killer of their loved one to be put to death. I admire that, because in the case of someone I love being killed-I can't say I wouldn't want them put to death. :dunno:

So, maybe that helps. I know I would not be the type anyone would want on a jury for those reasons, and I agree. That's why I am just a :websleuther:

Great post Chiquita. That is exactly how I am. I lean more towards black and white areas, with some grey areas. My heart says one thing, and my head tells me another. I think I am ruled by emotions.

But the part of your post where you talk about the instructions of law guiding you on what to weigh in your decision, I don't think I could "chuck" out things that are not supposed to be taken into account. Bell already rung type of thing with me.

IMO, it's about State of Florida vs. Casey Anthony. And KC is still living and has rights that as a citizen, have to be protected.

Caylee can't have justice if her accused killer's rights are trampled upon.

KC is innocent until proven guilty, which means that her rights are just as undeniable as any other citizen's.

My own opinions...

Perhaps a lawyer can educate us on the matter.
i completely understand that and do want miss anthony to have a fair trial. It just feels like the victim continually gets victimized in this process. I understand that it is necessary but very very disheartening. I hope I or any of my family are never the victim of a heinous crime because this process would absolutely crush me.

I'm born and bred in South Florida. But, my grandparents moved here in 1939 from Ohio!

So, I guess that means I'm in the middle - right? Although I consider my self a true southern belle! :blush:

I agree that ICA is going to put on more of a "sick" production. Right now I think she is working her way up to the mother of all tantrums. It's been coming on by degrees as the day progresses. I did notice that little set-to at the end with Baez, she was not happy with him and looked to be demanding that he come visit it her out the back, that's how I saw it. Prior to that she was wildly gesticulating to Ann about something and obviously voicing displeasure.

It is very telling that PJs that have heard about this case usually say they feel she is guilty. ICA needs to understand that once the trial starts ALL the Jurors will hear the case. ICA is not going to like the outcome.

Shhhhhhh lol I said the same thing the other day. I can't imagine anyone getting past the 31 days (I don't care what he tells me in the first minute ... What could Baez be going to say that would explain 31 days? - that might be another thread)

No matter what excuse I think of for KC, I can never get past the 31 days, if she was suffering some kind of depression that kept her in bed for 31 da ... nevermind she was in BARS! FOR 31 DAYS NO LESS ... just can't get past it

Based on what you know about the crime, do you think you could put that aside and make a judgement based solely on the evidence?

I'd like to think that I could, but I think it would be hard to separate from what I have heard.

You would only have to consider sentencing someone to death if you were called for a DP case. At least you'd have the judge to help guide you

I would be one of those jurors who said "based on what I have learned and know about this case thus far, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY BELIEVE SHE IS GUILTY". I don't think there would be anything I could hear in a trial, expecially some DT tactic that it was an accident, that would convince me otherwise.

So I wouldn't have to consider the DP +:great:

Lol, the first time I went to France, I think I insulted the waiter by trying to get the bill after we had finished eating. He ignored us for half an hour before he finally came and slammed the bill on the table. After that, we made sure to set aside at least an hour and a half for every meal we wanted to eat in a restaurant.

I love London and would move there tomorrow if I could afford it.

I went to Paris (live in Tampa, FL) back in 2002...I never thought I would be so happy to get back to America! The people in Paris were RUDE and very, very unfriendly...the waiters/waitresses especially! I couldn't wait to get home and go thru a drive-thru window at McDonalds and get a "real" hamburger & "real" McDonalds fries...with a SMILE!!! I will NEVER go to PARIS ever, ever again! They truly hate Americans!

I'm from the UK and visited Florida in 2009. I immediately fell in love with Americans. So polite and welcoming. I don't know what a typical American is but the people we met were lovely. I love the lingo when y'all say y'all and little things like that. When a waitress says good morning mam, I LOVE IT! And I could not believe how every single person says your welcome whenever someone says thank you. I would pack up and move in a heartbeat if I could. Maybe it was the Disney vibe and everyone is so happy, I don't know but I can't wait to go back next year.

Not just Disney or even just Florida, same thing ALL over the USA. In fact I like Americans so much I married one. :wink:

I started visiting from the UK 8 years ago and came here (California) to live around 5 years ago. I have travelled all over in the meantime (have yet to get to Florida but it's on my 'must see' list) and have found the welcome, friendliness and hospitality everywhere to be exceptional.

I wish we knew for sure if the Trial was going to start on Monday. I swear I would take a vacation day just to hear Baez's explanation of the 31 days. It would be so worth it! although I'm at work now, but can't turn on the sound. Boo Hoo

Thank you all for keeping me posted on whats going on! I really really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n.zajk0wska