2011.06.04 TRIAL Day Ten (Morning Session ONLY)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross exam of FBI analyst Karen Lowe by JB

Jury still out.

Proffer

HHBP giving witness National Academy of Science report.

She has seen the trace parts of it. Report commissioned by congress to identify the needs of forensic scientists in the community and to give guidance to forensic scientists on how to move forward. Not all members of Academy are scientists.

She is aware of criticisms of microscopic hair analysis - limitations of discipline as opposed to criticism. Identification can't be done without DNA analysis. She agrees. That's what the FBI lab does.

She doesn't believe this article says that the FBI lab made positive identifications based solely on microscopic hair analysis. (Looks like JB is scrolling through his iphone at the podium).

She is familiar with Michael Malone. She doesn't believe he is still an agent.

She is familiar with the Gates case from Washington D.C. A man was convicted based on Mr. Malone's testimony that the hairs found at a rape scene were microscopically indistinguishable from Gates. Case was overturned later by DNA.

Microscopically indistinguishable = exhibits the same characteristics.

HHBP not allowing any testimony given in any other case. Not trying another case in this courtroom. DON'T EVEN GO THERE.

Witness has recognized portion as being authoritative as a scientific treatise, not necessarily a policy.

FBI study by Hock and Adoli (?) page 161. This study looked at correlation of microscopic assessment of hairs and the mitochondrial DNA results of hairs.

Can't say a hair comes from one person to the exclusion of all others.

DNA hair results might differ from microscopic exam. 8 of the hairs were found to be different in this case.

JA asking about relevance - How is it relevant to get the witness to agree that other people agree with her. Results of Adobe study are not relevant to impeach an identification she did not make.

HHBP - if JB wants to bolster the witness's testimony, he will let him do that.

Adobe study can be brought out in redirect.

JA getting testy with JB.

HHBP - I know it's Saturday morning, but I think I've made my self abundantly clear about what should not be done and I firmly believe Mr. Baez heard me.

JB - I will not be discussing any prior cases Judge.

HHBP - You mention the Menendez case. Was there anything particular you wanted to use that for?

JB - No sir. Just for authoritativeness.

HHBP - Okay. All right, lets return the jury.

I'm not understanding what's going on. I came in as they went to sidebar. I thought they had a frey on this issue?

Baez is having moments where he looks defeated.

CFNews13Casey Casey Anthony News13
Ashton to Baez, "if I can finish!" its heated between them. Baez does not want to give up on this hair banding topic.

The Melendez case! Wait a minute! Didn't those boys claim that they had to murdered their parents because they were being sexually abused by the dad and mom was covering it up? That's where JB got the idea! thanks JB!

JB seems defeated. So much for "junk science". I swear he promised ICA this stuff would not come in. And why isn't DA doing the cross?

Ashton to Baez, "if I can finish!" its heated between them. Baez does not want to give up on this hair banding topic.

by cfnews13casey via twitter at 7:45 AM

Baez interrupts Ashton, Ashton yells "Can I finish?" #CaseyAnthony

by oscaseyanthony via twitter at 7:45 AM

(Jury was not in courtroom)

JB w/ Ms. Lowe - profer report from Nat. Academy of Science.....commissioned by congress....give guidance ....you would consider this an authoritative....

as far as guidance on what could be improved yes....not all people were scientists...majority of the limitation of the discipline ...identification couldn't be done without dna analysis...

JB: over many years identify individuals microscopic..?
Lowe- I am not aware of any where identified as such....

JB - familiar with analyst Michael Malone (?) the Gates case ...Washington.....a man convicted based on Malone testimony hairs found on 1981 rape was same hairs found in gates case.....turned over by innocense project....

Lowe - I am familiar he testified to that....if he testified hairs were microscopically similar....if he said this hair came from this person it would be improper

JB - his testimony

HHBP - let me stop ....
she recognizes that portion is authoritative

JA - portion described .....

(missed some)

JB can I finish profer?
Lowe - study looked @ correlation microscopic assessment of hairs and mito-dna comparisons.

JB - accuracy rates?
Lowe - not accurancy rates - can't say that....we do mito to get as much ....as possible....doesn't mean microscopic was incorrect

JB out of the 80 - 9 were found to be microscopic ....

JA - proper portions of this profer - agrees with witness .....how is it to get other people to agree with her

study .....this witness didn't do the study....not to impeach on ....she didn't make

HHBP - if he wants to bolster testimony I will let him do that....points brought out about Berdoli's study..

JB - I am not going to ask about.

JA - if I could Finish!!!

hHBP - I have made myself abundantly clear about what should not be done

JB - not discussing any prior cases or anthing should not be done

HHBP - menedez case mentioned....anything particular you want to use that for?

JB no judge just using to explain authoritative...... (JB bites his lips)

Return the jury

jury returning for cross... please remember to keep on topic and do not bash the defense team. Thanks guys ;-)

I don't understand how the Menendez case disproves what Lowe is testifying to.

I had to put JB on mute. I was getting too irritated. I'm asmatic.

JB: no further questions (yay!)

JA: is making objections.

HHJP: if he wants to bolster her testimony he can. ....can be brought out on redirect.

JA: ...If I could finish? (Jose interrupts)

HHJP: I know it is Saturday morning but I think I have made myself abundantly clear and I think Mr. Baez heard me.

JB: I will not be trying other cases...

HHJP: you mentioned something about the menendez case, is there something in particular you want to use that for?

JB: no judge...it is just authoritative in this...

HHJP: okay. all right let's return the jury

I really hate it when the margins get blown in here, sigh.
JA got a little snippy with JB for interrupting him, lol.
"CAN I FINISH? I would greatly appreciate it." LOL

After that last exchange, I don't see how it cannot be ineffectual counsel

I think what will happen is that JB will actually make Lowe's testimony more credible with his cross.

Watch JB is gonna bring up Menendez and something else that they agreed NOT to bring up. He wants the jury to hear it,does not care if it is overruled long as the jury hears it. He plays DIRTY JMHO :twocents:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove